Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Cats don't usually like going new places unless they're exceptionally brave and adventurous. The usual process is to get a thing based on existing observations (scratching carpet? Scratching furniture? Which textures?) and hope your money hasn't just been wasted (it probably has been lol).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
literally as i read your guy's posts, he was scratching at my hall carpet. so i did partially waste money on the cardboard scratcher, at least he loves the ball in the tunnel lol

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

My Spirit Otter posted:

literally as i read your guy's posts, he was scratching at my hall carpet. so i did partially waste money on the cardboard scratcher, at least he loves the ball in the tunnel lol

that's classic cat all over. My cats basically ONLY go for the cardboard scratchers, and weirdly my wife's luggage??

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop
my cat will only scratch on one specific guitar amp and nothing else

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

My Spirit Otter posted:

You can try putting scratching things where they scratch, kinda like a litter box. Our cats really love cardboard, then Sisal, and maybe they'll consider the rope rope/thistle scratchers last.

Cat Nip, once their old enough, can also help to encourage the habits by putting it on/rubbing it into the scratcher.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Organza Quiz posted:

Cats don't usually like going new places unless they're exceptionally brave and adventurous. The usual process is to get a thing based on existing observations (scratching carpet? Scratching furniture? Which textures?) and hope your money hasn't just been wasted (it probably has been lol).

That really doesn't hold true for kittens. They might be a little scared and hissy for like the first few hours in a new place, but pretty quickly they want to explore and discover every inch of it.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

well i brought the little dude to a pet store to find a harness for him so i can walk him with my dogs when he's more comfortable with his new lot in life and it was a great idea. they gave me a stack of coupons and i ended up grabbing him a big cat tree for him to escape from the dogs when he's feeling overwhelmed and hes already started scratching at it and i think im safe for now.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

That really doesn't hold true for kittens. They might be a little scared and hissy for like the first few hours in a new place, but pretty quickly they want to explore and discover every inch of it.

yea, he's a brave little adventurer gracefully avoiding/walking through my dogs' legs.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Leash training at that age is a brilliant idea. I did it with both of ours and they are both super chill as adults if I gotta harness them up. One absolutely hates going outside but the other took a huge liking to it and will bawl at me every day at 5pm to go on her walk (even if the weather is poo poo, she'll insist we head out on the front steps and only then come to a determination whether she wants to experience weather or not).

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

xzzy posted:

Leash training at that age is a brilliant idea. I did it with both of ours and they are both super chill as adults if I gotta harness them up. One absolutely hates going outside but the other took a huge liking to it and will bawl at me every day at 5pm to go on her walk (even if the weather is poo poo, she'll insist we head out on the front steps and only then come to a determination whether she wants to experience weather or not).

i love to hear this, im really hoping he bonds to my younger dog, Frank, the one pictured and they become inseperable and Gus will want to go for walks with Frank and I.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I moved to a new place that has a water softener and wow my cats are soft. Highly recommended.

jimmychoo
Sep 30, 2008

phosdex posted:

I moved to a new place that has a water softener and wow my cats are soft. Highly recommended.

:siren: do not put cat in washer :siren:

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Hah, somehow just by drinking the soft water it makes their fur soft.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

jimmychoo posted:

not even on the delicates cycle??

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

jimmychoo posted:

You're not my boss.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

The official story is that cats don't recognize themselves in the mirror. Do any of you think your cat might? How about using the mirror to observe and make eye contact with you? I can't really speak strongly to the former, but the cat absolutely makes eye contact and watches what I do in the bathroom mirror and I was wondering if this is normal or wicked smart behavior.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

mawarannahr posted:

The official story is that cats don't recognize themselves in the mirror. Do any of you think your cat might? How about using the mirror to observe and make eye contact with you? I can't really speak strongly to the former, but the cat absolutely makes eye contact and watches what I do in the bathroom mirror and I was wondering if this is normal or wicked smart behavior.

Quill frequently uses mirrors about the home to avoid having to move more than she has to in order to see where she wants to see. She also likes to go about 2" from the mirror, facing it, meow like she's really hurt herself, and then look in the mirror as I approach to see if she's okay. When she sees me get close enough in the mirror she drops the act and does a jump 180 to slap me in the face. I don't know that she recognizes herself in the mirror or if she just thinks there's a cool other black cat in the mirrors that doesn't seem to cause trouble. She doesn't use the mirror to like look at her own back or something like that but she's not bothered at all by seeing her reflection.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I've never had a cat that reacted to the mirror at all. I don't know if that means they recognize themselves in it, but it definitely means they don't see a different cat.

But I have been able to get them to follow a reflection of my hand so they can see that image. Perhaps they're vampires.

jimmychoo
Sep 30, 2008

mawarannahr posted:

my cat also does this! and he's dumb as hell

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

There was a trend for a while, where cat owners are on selfie video with the cat (screen in view) and suddenly turn on a face filter. The cats often look back at the human holding them to check what's going on, and if it's a scary face, sometimes take a swipe without verifying first. Even if a video of a weird face ordinarily wouldn't bother them.

Jayne Doe
Jan 16, 2010
I'm a little late for scratch chat but still feel compelled to share my cat's recent Extremely Cat moment. About two years ago I bought a side table with a built in scratch panel for cats, thinking that she'd love having something next to the futon to scratch. She 100% ignored it until last week and now scratches it several times per day and runs away like she might be in trouble if I look over while she's scratching, despite the fact that I've been giving her treats when I catch her doing it.

Cats, man.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

xzzy posted:

I've never had a cat that reacted to the mirror at all. I don't know if that means they recognize themselves in it, but it definitely means they don't see a different cat.

But I have been able to get them to follow a reflection of my hand so they can see that image. Perhaps they're vampires.

Yeah, this has been my thought on the whole thing. Surely if they didn't recognize it as something different from just a window to another place they'd get real freaked out by the very similar looking cat? But neither of our cats could care less. With one he doesn't care about anything, ever, no matter what it is but the other would absolutely be pissed off at another anything at all suddenly showing up.

Chronojam posted:

There was a trend for a while, where cat owners are on selfie video with the cat (screen in view) and suddenly turn on a face filter. The cats often look back at the human holding them to check what's going on, and if it's a scary face, sometimes take a swipe without verifying first. Even if a video of a weird face ordinarily wouldn't bother them.

I don't remember all the details but I saw something on this that basically concluded they're all fake.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

i tested this with Gus and he will look at himself in the mirror for a second or two, then look at me in the mirror, then not give a poo poo

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
My male cat is such a consummate fat rear end that he literally grooms me as I am preparing his food bowl.

Like, with gusto. This little man idolizes his Food Human

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I am very glad I leash trained my cats. I can actually walk one of them pretty reliably now without even using the leash, and the other doesnt really walk anymore because he doesnt like going far from home, but as long as his harness is on I can basically let him roam and he will stay near me.

Both of them beg to go out but also hate actually getting the harness put on them so will do a weird sort of approaching and running away thing until I just grab them and put it on, after which they wait at the door to be left out.

I wish I took them out more frequently since they enjoy it (and I need to remember to take the one with me whenever we go to the library in the car because she looooves exploring their garden) but unfortunately a lot of the neighbours have dogs and I'm still iffy about those encounters, most of the dogs are fine but a few are definitely not.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Also with the H5N1 scare sweeping across the US I'm getting hesitant to take kitty out of the house. Granted I don't have a farm cat drinking raw milk so the risk is pretty dang low, but it's got such a horrible survival rate for cats that it has me thinking twice. There's a lot of cows in this region and who knows what might be tracking the virus around the trails/sidewalks.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Taima posted:

My male cat is such a consummate fat rear end that he literally grooms me as I am preparing his food bowl.

Like, with gusto. This little man idolizes his Food Human

Ok. Why are you overfeeding your cat, though?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

BrainDance posted:

Yeah, this has been my thought on the whole thing. Surely if they didn't recognize it as something different from just a window to another place they'd get real freaked out by the very similar looking cat? But neither of our cats could care less. With one he doesn't care about anything, ever, no matter what it is but the other would absolutely be pissed off at another anything at all suddenly showing up.

Possibly because they don't /smell/ another cat?

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
Anyone here have experience with allergic brochitis or asthma in cats? One of mine likely has one or the other and I'm a little concerned. We did catch it early and she hasn't had any attacks where she can't breathe but her cough is awful.

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
Plaster Town Cop
my cat has asthma! because I work an hour away five days a week, I didn't understand what was happening until it became a daily occurrence. took her to the vet, she was initially on a twice-daily steroid, now she uses an inhaler that I have to order from New Zealand for some reason. that being said, it really hasn't been too scary or expensive to deal with. anything specific you want to know?

e: the cat in question, Quentin

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
We're starting off with twice daily steroids and then every other day until the bottle is empty. I think I'm more worried about what happens going forward and keeping her on the right track.

This my potential ashmatic little lady, lording it over her kingd from the wardrobe.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
What's up, pink collared tuxedo lady buddy?

https://i.imgur.com/8eUWgYN.mp4

Man the Quake soundtrack in the background makes this feel more ominous than it should 😿

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
Plaster Town Cop

Tulalip Tulips posted:

We're starting off with twice daily steroids and then every other day until the bottle is empty. I think I'm more worried about what happens going forward and keeping her on the right track.

my vet gave me the choice of continuing with the steroids or switching to the inhaler. Quentin fights the inhaler a bit more than she fought the steroid, but the inhaler allows for less strict adherence to a dosing schedule. I usually give her the inhaler before I leave for work in the morning and before I go to bed, but if necessary one dose from the inhaler will last her for the whole day.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

What is Gus doing here? is he grooming Maggie? i cant quite tell what this lil dude is trying to do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEjqdmCmc0Q

sorry for the lovely video

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Looks like he's trying to nurse.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

My Spirit Otter posted:

What is Gus doing here? is he grooming Maggie? i cant quite tell what this lil dude is trying to do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEjqdmCmc0Q

sorry for the lovely video

That's definitely him trying to nurse. Totally normal for a kitten, but obviously you shouldn't encourage it on another creature. Kittens will sometimes try to suckle littermates or themselves, you need to watch and make sure they don't hurt each other. I recommend redirecting him to a very soft blanket or stuffed toy when he does that.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

ok, thanks a lot guys, appreciate the responses.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Hey guys I have a question.

We're on the cusp of having our first child and while we're pretty good with our 15(?) year old tortoiseshell cat, I just want to know if there's any good tips and tricks to stop any trouble before it happens, if it's to happen.

She's a bit old and happy to laze about in our two bedroom flat. She's a touch shy, (I've always called her the two meter cat as she'd stick around at a distance of 2 meters if there's strangers, not hidden, but around), so there's little chance she'll approach the newborn much, but she's already begun to investigate the crib and bassinet and we've made them inaccessible so she doesn't get the idea that she can go there.

It'll be a big year for her since we'll be moving to a bigger apartment at the end of the year too. I'll probably ask about that later.

Anyway, not terribly concerned given her day-to-day demeanor but any advice to make the transition as smooth as possible would be greatly appreciated.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Hyperlynx posted:

Ok. Why are you overfeeding your cat, though?

I uh, sorry? Do you really want me to describe language to you?

He's not fat. "he's a consummate fat rear end" like, you know, a joke? He likes food is the joke, thank you for coming to my ted talk

goons man, what an anti social way to approach basic human communication...

Taima fucked around with this message at 15:09 on May 5, 2024

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I hear you. This cat we call a chonk. She loves food and will clean every bowl and plate in the house given the opportunity. She even looks kinda round and pudgy because she has a stocky frame. But she's a very healthy weight according to the doctor.

But still a chonk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

lol she's wonderful. The face that launched a thousand posts. Insanely beautiful fur.

Cat weight is weird. I asked our vet once how to tell if a cat is overweight and she dead rear end told me you should feel their ribs. I'm pretty on board, I guess, but cats are just kinda different too, and having prominent ribs feels like... a lot

The cats are definitely healthy though, we just got them their check up and they did great, weight was fine.

Taima fucked around with this message at 15:19 on May 5, 2024