Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

mystes posted:

I think luckily we've finally gotten to the point where you would have to actively work to buy a computer without an SSD.

At work we've got a good system for buying machines with spinning hard drives. We simply purchase something like a $300,000 mass spectrometer and a PC with a platter drive comes as part of the package!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Badger of Basra posted:

Is there a regulatory reason that almost every sedan is a fastback now or is it just a design trend?

Lower coefficient of drag for better aerodynamics

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

mllaneza posted:

At work we've got a good system for buying machines with spinning hard drives. We simply purchase something like a $300,000 mass spectrometer and a PC with a platter drive comes as part of the package!

Probably a working copy of windows xp, too!

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

When people get reinfected with covid, that's because they caught a different strain the second time, right? Like how you can catch a cold or flu many times because it's not exactly the same species of virus?

In which case, it's not possible to reinfect yourself while in the process of fighting an infection, is it?

Flournival Dixon
Jan 29, 2024
You can be reinfected with the same strain a few months afterward, you don't get permanent immunity from a COVID infection. Considering how fast it's evolving and how widespread it is chances are you won't catch the exact genetically same virus twice, but it can definitely happen.

You can't really reinfect yourself while you're already infected because your body is in the process of mounting an immune response to whatever it's infected with. Anything you breathe in from your own cough or whatever isn't going to compare to what's already in your body.

Flournival Dixon fucked around with this message at 10:22 on May 3, 2024

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Your immune response relies on (putting this simply both for convenience and because it's been a while) lymphocytes, white blood cells. After your infection is successfully eradicated, the specific B cells and T cells that fought it for you die off as they're no longer needed, but leave behind what's called memory cells that allow your body to very rapidly fight off the same pathogen the next time you get infected.

Your immunity is determined by the lifespan of the memory cells, and these vary in ways that aren't completely understood, or weren't at the time I was learning about them. Once the memory cells have died off, it's as if you never fought the disease in the first place, immune-wise.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

vintage audio equipment question.

i have an old sansui 9090db receiver. is it ok to power it with a ups, specifically an apc BR1500MS2? i feel like electricity is electricity is electricity, and having the ups between the outlet and the receiver shouldn't matter. but i'm also a complete idiot on all things electricity, so thought to ask.

if it matters, i'll be powering some pretty drat big speakers with this. they're legacy focuses.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

abelwingnut posted:

vintage audio equipment question.

i have an old sansui 9090db receiver. is it ok to power it with a ups, specifically an apc BR1500MS2? i feel like electricity is electricity is electricity, and having the ups between the outlet and the receiver shouldn't matter. but i'm also a complete idiot on all things electricity, so thought to ask.

if it matters, i'll be powering some pretty drat big speakers with this. they're legacy focuses.

It won’t matter as long as the UPS can supply the devices. Take a look at the APC page, your model can provide up to 900W for 3 minutes and 12 seconds once the power is out. Figure out how many watts are in the gear you want plugged into it and type that into the field on that page to find the runtime.

If you draw more than 900W, the UPS will just beep at you and it won’t power the stuff if the mains electricity goes out.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

two fish posted:

I'm looking to take advantage of both a student discount and a credit card intro bonus to sign up for annual subscriptions to a whole bunch of magazines. Used to love reading them back in the day and I want to get back into it.

Basically I just want anything that has long articles for a broad range of topics. Like the New Yorker. What else is out there currently that doesn't suck?

The Atlantic is always good.

mystes
May 31, 2006

two fish posted:

I'm looking to take advantage of both a student discount and a credit card intro bonus to sign up for annual subscriptions to a whole bunch of magazines. Used to love reading them back in the day and I want to get back into it.

Basically I just want anything that has long articles for a broad range of topics. Like the New Yorker. What else is out there currently that doesn't suck?
When you say "a student discount" do you mean on some specific magazine subscription site so the magazines have to be on that site? Because otherwise I might recommend n+1 or something.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Drimble Wedge posted:

eeeeehhhhhhh……

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Drimble Wedge posted:

Oh boy

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Read The Economist from back to front. They seriously do some amazing obituaries of people with crazy lives that you’ve never heard of. After that, there’s cool science news.

What you read from there is up to you. I usually skip straight to the China section, they have several correspondents living there that cover stuff you won’t see anywhere else. Middle-East and Asia news are good too.

If you reach the editorials and leaders, turn back. You’ll regret it if you don’t

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Yeah the Economist are turbo capitalist dickheads but their reporting and writing is high-quality. I usually get Wired when I'm in an airport, usually interesting articles about something tech-adjacent. Harper's might go along with your New Yorker vibe. Check out a hobby magazine, like photography or whatever you are or used to be into. Or an art magazine: I'm more into Juxtapoz or High Fructose but maybe you'd like Aestethica or Art Forum or one of those.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Ok, now I'm curious what issue folks have with the Atlantic.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Fruits of the sea posted:

Read The Economist from back to front. They seriously do some amazing obituaries of people with crazy lives that you’ve never heard of. After that, there’s cool science news.

What you read from there is up to you. I usually skip straight to the China section, they have several correspondents living there that cover stuff you won’t see anywhere else. Middle-East and Asia news are good too.

If you reach the editorials and leaders, turn back. You’ll regret it if you don’t

Good advice imo, I was trying to think of how to put my thoughts on the economist into words and you hit the nail on the head. Basically if you are capable of reading through a very strong centrist classic-liberal bias, there's some excellent journalism in there, and very few other outlets have dedicated region-specific spaces where you'll read about stuff simmering in other regions long before they blow up into major news. They wear their biases on their sleeves so it makes it easy to roll your eyes as necessary and still glean a lot of value from it.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

hooah posted:

Ok, now I'm curious what issue folks have with the Atlantic.

I opened a new tab and scrolled down a little bit

then I got this fuckin' gem https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2024/05/joe-biden-antisemitism-gaza-protests/678282/

Don't both-sides this Joe, tell those kids getting the poo poo kicked out of them to stop being antisemites.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Tesseraction posted:

I opened a new tab and scrolled down a little bit

then I got this fuckin' gem https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2024/05/joe-biden-antisemitism-gaza-protests/678282/

Don't both-sides this Joe, tell those kids getting the poo poo kicked out of them to stop being antisemites.

Yeah, I haven't been happy with their headlines (and snippets from the newsletter) I've seen regarding the college protests, but I thought overall they were fairly well regarded?

two fish
Jun 14, 2023

mystes posted:

When you say "a student discount" do you mean on some specific magazine subscription site so the magazines have to be on that site? Because otherwise I might recommend n+1 or something.

Nope, just that I qualify for student discounts anywhere they're available since I have a .edu email again.

Back in the day I would read a lot of The New Yorker, The Economist, and National Geographic. It's good to see The Economist is still going strong and I agree the editorials can be a little out of touch with the common person, but the general writing is great. Sometimes I'd even pick up Foreign Affairs and Foreign Policy.

How low has Popular Science gone? Last time I read an issue it was nothing but water device scams.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

The Economist is also putting out podcasts these days. The Intelligence is a good daily world news primer (again, take the neo-liberal slant into account but it’s data and context heavy). Their paywalled podcasts are a mixed bag but again the China one is fascinating. There was a fun story this year where a correspondent went to a factory town. A friendly grandma invited him to tea and told him they made nuclear warheads there, at which point he noped the gently caress out of there before the police or one of his handlers noticed where he was :v:

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

tuyop posted:

It won’t matter as long as the UPS can supply the devices. Take a look at the APC page, your model can provide up to 900W for 3 minutes and 12 seconds once the power is out. Figure out how many watts are in the gear you want plugged into it and type that into the field on that page to find the runtime.

If you draw more than 900W, the UPS will just beep at you and it won’t power the stuff if the mains electricity goes out.

got it.

so the reason i have this ups is not for running devices when the power's down. instead, i'm using the ups to protect against surges and regulate voltage given my area's grid is susceptible to brownouts and lightning. i fear the receiver might blow up/get fried if i plug it directly into the wall.

and if i'm understanding how this line-interactive ups works, that means during the 99.9% of the time the power from the outlet in the wall is good and plentiful, the ups is using the outlet's power, not the battery. therefore, the bottleneck would be the outlet's output, correct?

i'm an idiot about this stuff, so hopefully this makes sense.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

abelwingnut posted:

got it.

so the reason i have this ups is not for running devices when the power's down. instead, i'm using the ups to protect against surges and regulate voltage given my area's grid is susceptible to brownouts and lightning. i fear the receiver might blow up/get fried if i plug it directly into the wall.

and if i'm understanding how this line-interactive ups works, that means during the 99.9% of the time the power from the outlet in the wall is good and plentiful, the ups is using the outlet's power, not the battery. therefore, the bottleneck would be the outlet's output, correct?

Until the power goes out the UPS is just a fancy power strip

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

dupersaurus posted:

Until the power goes out the UPS is just a fancy power strip

I think most UPSes have surge protection built in; certainly the two I've used have. In fact, my UPS has two rows of outlets: one for surge protection, one for surge protection + battery backup.

Which is just a long way of saying "sure, it'll do what abelwingnut wants", but if they don't actually need the battery backup, power strips with surge protection are available for much cheaper than a UPS.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

abelwingnut posted:

got it.

Yeah that’s right. and I have no idea what current your circuits are rated for in your home. My house has mostly 15 Amp circuits, at 110 volts. Ohm’s law tells us that 110v x 15a = 1650 Watts. So any given outlet on an empty circuit in my home can supply 1650W of power to a device before the line gets too hot and flips a breaker (you may have fuses). The circuit is not usually limited to one outlet so you also need to keep in mind other stuff on there. Like if you have a 1000W kettle, a 400W gaming computer, and a 300W sound system on the same circuit (but different outlets), you may trip a breaker if you go to make a cup of tea while playing video games at max volume.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

tuyop posted:

Yeah that’s right. and I have no idea what current your circuits are rated for in your home. My house has mostly 15 Amp circuits, at 110 volts. Ohm’s law tells us that 110v x 15a = 1650 Watts. So any given outlet on an empty circuit in my home can supply 1650W of power to a device before the line gets too hot and flips a breaker (you may have fuses). The circuit is not usually limited to one outlet so you also need to keep in mind other stuff on there. Like if you have a 1000W kettle, a 400W gaming computer, and a 300W sound system on the same circuit (but different outlets), you may trip a breaker if you go to make a cup of tea while playing video games at max volume.

Also bear in mind that in the USA, circuits are only rated for continuous use at 80% of their nominal capacity. So for your 1650W circuit, if you're drawing more than 0.8*1650=1320W for more than brief periods, you're outside of the domain the circuit was designed for, which might potentially start a fire.

two fish
Jun 14, 2023

Do those old style science fiction magazines still get made?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
In print? Rarely. There are a number of digital magazines that may be worth your time, but there's just not a big enough market to justify steady physical publication. But every few years someone new will buy the rights to Amazing Stories or one of its contemporaries and put out a few issues before it folds again. Looks like AS had new issues as recently as 2021, a revival of Analog was active until 2019, Galaxy Science Fiction tried an attempt in the 90s, etc.

With self publishing as popular as it is, there are still smaller ones out there that are probably fun, but they're more like zines than the old pulps. I see them occasionally at the alt bookstore near me.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Analog, Asimov's Science Fiction, and The Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction are all still going strong and are even available in print editions.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Maybe there's a better thread for it but can anyone with archives help me find a reply I made in an older thread? I'm on mobile right now and last time I looked for it I couldn't find it. Hoping to use it as a springboard for ideas for an article I'm cooking up.

It was a GBS thread, maybe last year but I want to say it was even older, something like 'Dubstep is coming back'. A few pages in I made an effortpost about advancements in music production technology and how these toolsets arguably inform the content and overall sound of modern EDM. Thanks!

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
don't need archives for that, just search

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4031447&userid=116356

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Oh awesome thanks, idk why last time I was having so much trouble finding it.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
How do people manage passwords nowadays? There are so many websites that I have passwords for, and any number of those websites have had "security breaches" or whatever that prompted me to change my passwords, and consequently I now have like 25+ different passwords spread out over 100+ websites and services. What do you guys do? Do you do like what I've been doing lately, which is whenever I need to access something I try to guess what variation of password I used last, fail three times, then reset the password? Surely not. There must be a better way.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

credburn posted:

How do people manage passwords nowadays? There are so many websites that I have passwords for, and any number of those websites have had "security breaches" or whatever that prompted me to change my passwords, and consequently I now have like 25+ different passwords spread out over 100+ websites and services. What do you guys do? Do you do like what I've been doing lately, which is whenever I need to access something I try to guess what variation of password I used last, fail three times, then reset the password?

Been using 1password for like 15 years. Using the browser extensions that auto generate new credentials and auto fill existing credentials is the key.

mystes
May 31, 2006

credburn posted:

How do people manage passwords nowadays? There are so many websites that I have passwords for, and any number of those websites have had "security breaches" or whatever that prompted me to change my passwords, and consequently I now have like 25+ different passwords spread out over 100+ websites and services. What do you guys do? Do you do like what I've been doing lately, which is whenever I need to access something I try to guess what variation of password I used last, fail three times, then reset the password? Surely not. There must be a better way.
Use a password manager

Do not ever reuse passwords between different sites

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Password manager. Preferably one that can sync passwords, so you can have it on all your devices

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

mystes posted:

Use a password manager

This.

If you want to use a paid service, 1password is a solid choice. If you'd rather keep it all on your own computer, try KeePassXC, it's free and open-source and all that good stuff, and it works great. (Just make sure you back up your password database file now and then, okay?)

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Bitwarden works great for me. Free, has got a browser add-on and a phone app.

E: like I hosed around with keepass for years, but it wasn't a solution I could get my mother sold on

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
EDIT: Misread the question. you saw nothing.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

wash bucket posted:

Been using 1password for like 15 years. Using the browser extensions that auto generate new credentials and auto fill existing credentials is the key.

Another vote for 1password here. Syncs between iPad, Android phone, and PC without issue for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Thanks, gang. My personal war against change is not going well, and the password battle has been lost entirely I think. I'll check out 1Password!