Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

They mean Final Justice.

The Final Sacrifice was Season 9.

Nooooo, why you hurt Goosio!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Yeah, I've only seen Robot Holocaust once, and when that ending started happening I immediately recognized the music from SOMEWHERE, but it took this thread to tell me that it was the Laserblast music.

On the topic of Charleses, I've got "The Town that Dreaded Sundown" on my May Horror Movie Marathon watch list, and I just noticed that it's a Charles B. Pierce movie and also features Jimmy Clem. You know, this guy.

The Town That Dreaded Sundown would probably actually work pretty well being riffed by either MST3K or Rifftrax as while it is a very good film it's also surprisingly inconsistent in tone in a way ripe for making fun of

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

A five pound potty?
She had a big breakfast!

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

drrockso20 posted:

The Town That Dreaded Sundown would probably actually work pretty well being riffed by either MST3K or Rifftrax as while it is a very good film it's also surprisingly inconsistent in tone in a way ripe for making fun of

Yeah, I watched it yesterday and quite liked it! In fact, here's my review from the May Horror Movie Marathon thread:

---

Movie 2: The Town that Dreaded Sundown (12. Tubin')

Texarkana looked normal during the day, but everyone dreaded sundown.

I found it while looking up other movies by Charles B. Pierce after watching the MST3K episode of the godawful Boggy Creek II: And the Legend Continues. And then I saw it was available on Tubi and figured "hey, let's see this piece of poo poo". But if Crescent Wrench or others feel like this isn't in the spirit of the challenge, I'll remove the claim.

Imagine my surprise when the movie WASN'T a piece of poo poo at all, but a perfectly serviceable horror movie. That being said, there ARE obvious connections with Boggy Creek II. Jimmy Clem has a minor role in the movie, having played the world's greasiest redneck in Boggy Creek II. Much like that movie, The Town that Dreaded Sundown also features frequent voiceovers, but here they actually work for the most part and set the tone and mood.

The movie reminded me a lot of Halloween, my favourite horror movie of all time. Much like in Halloween, a mysterious masked killer is preying on young people. The thing I really like in Halloween is how The Shape is filmed and portrayed like a force of nature. The movie doesn't explain his motives, doesn't give him an elaborate backstory. He just turns up and starts murderin'. The Town that Dreaded Sundown does a similar thing. The killer is a large man dressed in work clothes and wearing a bag with eye holes in it over his head. It's a rad as hell look, and because he doesn't have a single line of dialogue in the entire movie, he also feels threatening and alien the same way Michael Myers did. I'd say the killer here is easily the best part of the whole movie.

Now, am I saying The Town that Dreaded Sundown is as good as Halloween? Absolutely not. Charles B. Pierce is demonstrably capable of better than Boggy Creek II, but he's no John Carpenter. The movie is competent and quite well shot, but the acting is often questionable, and there's a bunch of scenes that are either played for hokey comedy (including a weird slow motion car chase that culminates in a loving Dukes of Hazzard style car flying into a lake shot while banjo music plays), or just loving doesn't work. Like there's a scene where the killer slowly attaches a knife to a trombone and then stabs a woman to death by repeatedly blowing on the trombone. I have no loving idea what Charles B. Pierce thought he was going for there, but the viewer doing a Psyduck face probably wasn't it. Also, while Halloween gives us a main character to care about and puts her in the killer's sights, here the killer just goes after random people and all the main characters are cops who are never in any danger. Apparently we were supposed to care about them though, because the film concludes with an Animal House style recap of what happened to all of the characters.

But it's still a pretty good time! The movie looks quite good and I for the most part enjoyed the tone and feel of the film. If there's been less questionable comedy scenes and more tension in the form of characters we gave a poo poo about, The Town that Dreaded Sundown could've been a really good horror movie. Turns out Charles B. Pierce could actually make movies when he wanted to, so now I'm even more curious about how the hell Boggy Creek II turned out the way it did.

The best part: A lot of the violence is filmed in a very detached style, much like in The Texas Chain Saw Massacre. There are no gory closeups or aggressive camera cuts, instead it feels like we're a passive observer just standing nearby watching the scene unfold. I really liked it in TCM and I really like it here as well.

:spooky::spooky::spooky: / 5

Challenges completed: 2/13

My May 2024 Movies;
1. Puppet Master: The Littlest Reich, 2. The Town that Dreaded Sundown

---

E: Oh look, Boggy Creek II is starting on the S10 stream right now.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 07:40 on May 2, 2024

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

"Otis Tucker never regained consciousness."
"He was dead, so it makes sense."

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://twitter.com/FrankConniff/status/1786015866024296768
That would have been interesting.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Oh, I remember them talking about that once. It would have been a lot of fun but God knows anything with Elvis is hard to get the rights for and expensive when you can. I forget the series, but I remember somebody talking about how getting 'Can't Help Falling in Love' basically cleaned out their licensed music budget.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Man Zindy the Swamp boy is on and it's a ghastly dumb movie but the riffs are drat repetitive

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Heartbreaking

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Everything I Touch Turns to Gold, imo, is a p good jam

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Upsidads posted:

Man Zindy the Swamp boy is on and it's a ghastly dumb movie but the riffs are drat repetitive

Wait until you get to the end lol

never introduce a puma in the first act unless you're going to use it in the third act

Another Bill fucked around with this message at 20:18 on May 2, 2024

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

verbal enema posted:

What happens if you touch gold? :colbert:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

verbal enema posted:

Everything I touch turns to filth.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I sometimes wonder if Eat was owned by the same folks who owned Bar from Leech Woman.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Another Bill posted:

Wait until you get to the end lol

never introduce a puma in the first act unless you're going to use it in the third act

ah, yes... Schroedinger's cat

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

ah, the nights we lingered over brandy at EAT

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Angry_Ed posted:

What happens if you touch gold? :colbert:

SUPER GOLD

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
"don't worry your pretty little head about it"
Okay ugly head

Such a perfect riff

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

The writer of Mitchell created the iconic British TV shows The Sweeney and The Chinese Detective

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Well I'll have a thousand Hershey bars, I guess.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

You know Buzz, you're like a blind rattlesnake...

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Mulaney Power Move posted:

You know Buzz, you're like a blind rattlesnake...

Get it? I'm G A Y

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

The haunted house is a great name for a sexy dance club

Owl at Home
Dec 25, 2014

Well hoot, I don't know if I can say no to that

Uncle Wemus posted:

The haunted house is a great name for a sexy dance club

Merry Christmas! Let's all go to the HAUNTED HOUSE

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

the greasiest haunted house

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Does she have any investment metal boots?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
oh charles manson walks the streets
and the zodiac killer's alive
charles bukowski is puking out the window
and santa claus is on his way!

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
"Keep your gold boots movin'--"
"Or your silver ones, we don't mean to discriminate against other color boots, whoo!"

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
It's her gore-tex winter bra!

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Thank you, random-person-who-gave-us-a-ride-in-their-dune-buggy.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Makes me wanna throw hard candy at people!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Aw, she looks mildly less frumpy!

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Tee-hee, I'm horny!

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
"When Sexy becomes Annoying"

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Turkey Day in May livestream on the YouTube channel now. The 2020 and 2021 streams plus lost host segments and poopies.

Currently showing Pod People.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Oh no, it's Carnival Magic, though the framework seems a but weird in this feed.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

I reproduced asexually while I was outside

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

poor Buzz he was just a kid not a violent adult criminal man

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

The Animal Cracker Foundation does not endorse or recommend usage of its product as portrayed.

E:

Is Trace doing a horrible Australian accent during these Turkey Day tape sale clips a reference to some famous 90s American TV sales guy or just a funny bit he's doing?

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 11:00 on May 4, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Is Trace doing a horrible Australian accent during these Turkey Day tape sale clips a reference to some famous 90s American TV sales guy or just a funny bit he's doing?

I want to say that it's the former, but I can't remember who exactly. Tim Shaw?