Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

shyduck posted:

Should be worth noting the Bruins beat the Panthers in all 4 meetings this season

Things are different in the playoffs. How'd the Jets beating the Avs by at least 2 this season work out for them in the playoffs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.

Ginette Reno posted:

I don't know what this dude is even complaining about anyways. They're not going to call someone getting shoved down in an after whistle scrum a penalty. If a punch was thrown, maybe different story. But a shove? Gimme a break

lol it didn't get called because the man falls down when anyone touches him, even a ref

this guy thinks there's a conspiracy when it's just a boy crying wolf situation

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Tenkaris posted:

lol it didn't get called because the man falls down when anyone touches him, even a ref

this guy thinks there's a conspiracy when it's just a boy crying wolf situation

I'm just saying even if someone got shoved down who isn't known for diving, there would still be no call. No ref gives a poo poo about a little shove in a scrum, especially in the playoffs. They'll be looking for punches or stick work before they make a call in a scrum.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Bruins fans have some of the worst bias on violence in hockey.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

On the one hand the refs have missed more genuine penalties by Leafs against Bruins than I'm used to. On the other, Marchand could easily have a diving and/or ref pushing penalty every game, so it would even out if the Leafs' PP weren't so incredibly bad.

Seriously, imagine how different the narrative would be if Keefe had started Woll in game 1 and developed some kind of powerplay strategy.

Beer Gay So What
Apr 20, 2023

THEY MADE THE BEER GAY AND THATS OK

Mind_Taker posted:

Yeah I can't think of a more negatively impactful assistant coach in the league.

Still can't believe the Caps handed the reins over to that bozo instead of keeping Trotz.

Look when you have a chance to give Kevin from the office the job, you gotta take it!

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

I know there's the one poster who has/had the Claude Julien/Bill from King of the Hill avatar but I think Todd Reirden also looks like Bill.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Beer Gay So What posted:

Look when you have a chance to give Kevin from the office the job, you gotta take it!

Coach Creed from the office over Kevin from the office every single time.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Precambrian Video Games posted:

On the one hand the refs have missed more genuine penalties by Leafs against Bruins than I'm used to. On the other, Marchand could easily have a diving and/or ref pushing penalty every game, so it would even out if the Leafs' PP weren't so incredibly bad.

Considering how past series have gone with respect to calls and physical bullshit I don’t mind the shoe being on the other foot and seeing a fanbase that has typically espoused an “it’s the playoffs, suck it up” mindset being the ones crying about conspiracies and refs. But I also know that game 7s are always shitshows and the Bruins have a lot more experience/effectiveness with that style of hockey, so the script could very easily flip on Saturday.

My :tinfoil: theory about reffing is also that as a series goes on their game management is influenced by how effective the teams have been. Like the Bruins going at 50% early in the series makes the refs less inclined to give them borderline opportunities now because they know it’s probably a goal, similarly the Leafs being garbage at it makes a call on the Bruins feel less momentous to them. Just seems like a natural step in the whole “even up” process.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

OldSenileGuy posted:

I’m more wondering - if the leafs come back and win game 7, how far do they have to go to save Keefe’s job? Or is he fired after these playoffs no matter what?

Keefe's job is probably already safe.

Ginette Reno posted:

If the Kings are that desperate to get rid of him you hope that they would eat some of it and that the price wouldn't be too high. Or you just absorb the whole thing and take him for cheap.

You should be able to get some serious draft capital out of them to take all or even most of that contract, which is something the Pens should be willing to do in a theoretical world where they have cap space, which unfortunately is not the one we're living in. Also, mandatory reminder that PLD has a full NMC and will only waive it for one team, which isn't the Penguins.

It might. Reirden is spectacularly incompetent.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
For all the talk that the penguins were all in and they had a contending team this year, I can’t believe it took them til May to fire Rierden.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Koopa Kid posted:

My :tinfoil: theory about reffing is also that as a series goes on their game management is influenced by how effective the teams have been. Like the Bruins going at 50% early in the series makes the refs less inclined to give them borderline opportunities now because they know it’s probably a goal, similarly the Leafs being garbage at it makes a call on the Bruins feel less momentous to them. Just seems like a natural step in the whole “even up” process.

It's more likely a desire to not give borderline penalty calls and the first few games of the playoffs is where the adjustment starts to happen for the teams and for the referees. So as the borderline contact calls disappear, the number of chances disappear, and they become way more impactful when they are called and you score on it.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Schremp Howard posted:

For all the talk that the penguins were all in and they had a contending team this year, I can’t believe it took them til May to fire Rierden.

He was clearly a nepo-hire by someone higher up the chain because he was awful the first time around, went off to be awful for other teams, and then was awful when he came back

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Yo, Pens fans: this ain't the loser thread.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Cocaine Bear posted:

Surprisingly enough it wasn't me, Eric, or Rex who dragged Pens news into this thread, but it did attract us like flies on poo poo.

To keep things topical though and not talk about my loser5 time Stanley Cup winning franchise I will say that I'm very excited for game 7 and go Leafs go.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Misanthrope posted:

I just want panicked Treliving moves because I'm bitter and somewhat spiteful because of it.

Maybe we can get the current equivalent of the Gilmour trade, this time in our favor

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

The Dirty Burger posted:

https://x.com/duanes39/status/1786208115743969407?s=46&t=2hVb1vPytx9OUpdE0UPz6Q

Watching Marchand diving all series and the refs having nothing to do with it has owned, him going to the ice when a linesman put his arms around him in game 5 was an especially great moment

I literally thought this tweet was saying it was a conspiracy that the refs never call Marchand on his bullshit. But no, apparently this dude just got here from the mirror universe.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
When the Pens aren't in the playoffs, fans of the other teams should be asking, "what are the Pens up to?"

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?

Cocaine Bear posted:

Wait a minute, this isn't October

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Schremp Howard posted:

Wait a minute, this isn't October

This is the next season’s thread, we’re keeping the title the same, it should be accurate soon enough.

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
For the next two weeks, we are all Canucks.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
this is fuckin hell

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Goddamn, Saros you beast

But mannnnn, SILOV what a dude

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Just as everybody predicted, the first 2 shutouts in the playoffs, Stuart Skinner and Arturs Silovs.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Next game Tuesday. Phew, some rest.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Sorry Nashville, that was a rough way to go.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Congrats Vancouver fans

Best moment in a decade+

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

mennoknight posted:

this is fuckin hell

I hear the flames will be good one day

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

RC Cola posted:

I hear the flames will be good one day

I don't think that's comforting, they have to be good for ~40 to make the playoffs.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Powershift posted:

I don't think that's comforting, they have to be good for ~40 to make the playoffs.

Oh then nevermind but at least feaster is gone

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
flames fans are 100% going to be rooting for the nucks. no question

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
The Canucks (and their fans on here) are so much more likeable than the Oilers (and their fans on here). I hope the Canucks destroy the Oilers so bad that Edmonton is relocated to the Northwest Territories out of embarrassment.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

heehee posted:

flames fans are 100% going to be rooting for the nucks. no question

they should we don't want em

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Yeah go Canucks but watching mcdavid is fun. Next round has some good matchups

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Ya like as much as I obviously want the Oilers to shithouse the Canucks and win the cup, at least the Canucks are seemingly good vs the Preds who are not.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Ya like as much as I obviously want the Oilers to shithouse the Canucks and win the cup, at least the Canucks are seemingly good vs the Preds who are not.

nucks got pwned by da flu in the last week so it's 50/50 on if they're any good by the time the 2nd round starts

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

I wasn’t surprised that much that the Canucks prevailed without Demko, but I thought it would have involved a couple of wild >5 goal games, not 1-0 shutouts!

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
I still don't believe the Canucks are actually good. This has to be a giant fluke.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
When does the league announce the dates and times of the next round? I'm an idiot and want to spend a bunch of money to take my kids to an Oilers/Canucks game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

heehee posted:

nucks got pwned by da flu in the last week so it's 50/50 on if they're any good by the time the 2nd round starts

I hope they are all puking on the ice for games 1-5 (the Canucks can win one game as a treat)