Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

euphronius posted:

There was no reason to make up the word frunk
This is true if you have like a Porsche and your car has one trunk but when your car has two trunks it saves syllables to say trunk and frunk instead of back trunk and front trunk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Zero VGS posted:

Also that's a Connecticut plate so double fuckem. Also breaking the law having no front plate in both states (does Cybertruck even have a front plate mount?!)

Oh no, breaking the LAW! No Front PLATE?! LOCK EM UP!

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

zedprime posted:

This is true if you have like a Porsche and your car has one trunk but when your car has two trunks it saves syllables to say trunk and frunk instead of back trunk and front trunk.

It still sounds dumb. That was the main reason I ultimately decided not to get a Porsche

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Captain Hygiene posted:

It still sounds dumb. That was the main reason I ultimately decided not to get a Porsche

You just convinced me to sell my Porsche.

.random
May 7, 2007

A “learning algorithm” implies it would apply this to future situations, but why would you want to increase the force in future situations even if I DID want to increase the force this one time (say, to close on an overstuffed trunk)?

Something doesn’t add up here, Wes!

It’s almost like this is poorly thought out, but we all know that Teslas are literally the safest, best designed cars in the world so I know that’s not it.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

.random posted:

A “learning algorithm” implies it would apply this to future situations, but why would you want to increase the force in future situations even if I DID want to increase the force this one time (say, to close on an overstuffed trunk)?

Something doesn’t add up here, Wes!

It’s almost like this is poorly thought out, but we all know that Teslas are literally the safest, best designed cars in the world so I know that’s not it.

I take it to mean the next time it encounters the same resistance it will power through it, regardless of if it was an overstuffed rucksack or a toddler’s fingers

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

Some Rube posted:

Now the Cybertruck is supposed to apply more pressure every single time. According to Telsa there's an algorithm that wants to close the frunk

Oooorrr... Maybe Tesla's software solution to the hardware problem of "The hood can cut off peoples fingers" is glitchy and unreliable as gently caress. Just throwing that out there.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Just saw my first cybertruck in the wild at a stop light, my reaction was stunned laughter.

It's just so much bigger, so much more an immediate, obvious threat to other cars on the road; and so much loving uglier in person. It's astonishing.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

MrQwerty posted:

Just saw my first cybertruck in the wild at a stop light, my reaction was stunned laughter.

It's just so much bigger, so much more an immediate, obvious threat to other cars on the road; and so much loving uglier in person. It's astonishing.

Did you flip them off?

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

redshirt posted:

Did you flip them off?

how would they see someone in a '99 Ranger Sport flipping them off, that thing is literally the height and width of a loving garbage truck without any of the visibility

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

redshirt posted:

Did you flip them off?

That would just make them double down; the real move is to point and laugh

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

MrQwerty posted:

I kinda had the opposite reaction. The first one I saw (which was a real surprise to me since I live in Bumfuck nowhere) I thought it looked kinda small. Maybe it's just because every other vehicle around here is a jacked up F-<something>50 bro-dozer but I thought it looked like the worlds ugliest mid-sized SUV. Maybe it was because I was looking at it from a distance because I didn't want to risk meeting the driver.

Although, I agree with the "so much loving uglier in person" bit. Seeing one in person it was like someone took a shopping basket, stuck the handles up, draped a cloth over it and then turned into metal.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

It's as big as a dualie F-350 with less visibility while taking up more physical space and weighing twice as much, and you can tell when it's in motion.

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

MrQwerty posted:

It's as big as a dualie F-350 with less visibility while taking up more physical space and weighing twice as much, and you can tell when it's in motion.

Weird, I guess it was just looking at it from a distance then.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Viscous Soda posted:

Weird, I guess it was just looking at it from a distance then.

I saw it on the way to the liquor store and I was telling the clerk about how shocking it is, the guy behind me in line heard me and said, "I was doing pickups the other day and saw that piece of poo poo, thing is more ugly than you think it will be and as wide as my fuckin' garbage truck. Hopefully nobody else in town buys one."

Then we all started laughing.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Viscous Soda posted:

Oooorrr... Maybe Tesla's software solution to the hardware problem of "The hood can cut off peoples fingers" is glitchy and unreliable as gently caress. Just throwing that out there.

Bugsy posted:

Dont worry, by testing the frunk like this they just train it to close increasingly harder every time.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Bugsy posted:

Dont worry, by testing the frunk like this they just train it to close increasingly harder every time.

I understand what he was trying to achieve when he programmed this, but there has to be a better way to make the trunk close properly when it's a bit sticky

Edit: also he's trying to sound smart by calling it a learning algorithm instead of just saying "if you open and close the front trunk a bunch of times in a row, it increases the motor force because the human is noticing a problem"

Speleothing fucked around with this message at 02:39 on May 4, 2024

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Speleothing posted:

I understand what he was trying to achieve when he programmed this, but there has to be a better way to make the trunk close properly when it's a bit sticky

Just for reference, "he" - Elon Musk - didn't program jack poo poo.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

No Elon didn't but the guy who responded to the tweet might have

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Question: is there an actual reason the frunk is powered? Is the lid just that heavy with the stainless steel and all?

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Powered trunks are normal on mid-price SUVs these days, the only weird thing is that it's a front trunk

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Speleothing posted:

Powered trunks are normal on mid-price SUVs these days, the only weird thing is that it's a front trunk

We call them "Frunks"

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Speleothing posted:

My mother's found it useful since she sometimes has difficulty reaching up that high and still having leverage as she's gotten older, especially if one hand is full of groceries or whatever. I use it with her car because I'm worried I'll break something if I don't.

Less Is Definitely
Jan 10, 2012

MrQwerty posted:

lmao at making a car that uses AI to progressively make closing the trunk more dangerous

:lmao: That moment when he bangs that big sausage against the hull of his Cybertruck.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
Lol remember the cyber ATV

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

I think the part that shocked me the most about it was how big it was vs. my truck and just how much of the road and sheer physical space around the thing was completely invisible to it, completely reliant on cameras and sensors that aren't there, while being as obviously sharp and heavy as it is. Obviously sharp is not a thing you get from pictures but very much a thing you get from being up close to one in motion, as is the the way it carries its weight. I dislike it even more now that I've been in traffic with it.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

MrQwerty posted:

I dislike it even more now that I've been in traffic with it.

Things my boss has said about me after carpooling

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Jestery posted:

The A stands for A.

Rubber Chicken
Mar 13, 2024

Jestery posted:

Awfully Terrible Vehicle

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

it was gonna fit inside the cybertruck!

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

MrQwerty posted:

it was gonna fit inside the cybertruck!

it was, but the Cybertruck poo poo itself in every conceivable way

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

it was, but the Cybertruck poo poo itself in every conceivable way

there was no way for the cybertruck to be the thing he even initially promised, and now it is a giant 5 ton knife driving around that looks like hot fuckin garbage

koshmar
Oct 22, 2009

i'm not here

this isn't happening

MrQwerty posted:

there was no way for the cybertruck to be the thing he even initially promised, and now it is a giant 5 ton knife driving around that looks like hot fuckin garbage

Actually, it looks like a garbage receptacle.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

MrQwerty posted:

why did anyone ever think this man was a genius? All he did was be rich and buy a car company.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

MrQwerty posted:

less than 5000 in the recall. Judging by youtube they have 2-3 million on backorder. It is going to take 200,000 years to fill that.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Speleothing posted:

Edit: also he's trying to sound smart by calling it a learning algorithm instead of just saying "if you open and close the front trunk a bunch of times in a row, it increases the motor force because the human is noticing a problem"
The industry standard solution to "my gate won't close because of a sensor but I want it to" is to turn on the motor bypass and close it with man power.

I'm going to take a stab in the dark and assume the cybertruck does not have a motor bypass.

Rubber Chicken
Mar 13, 2024

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

why did anyone ever think this man was a genius? All he did was be rich and buy a car company.

Not defending it in any way but a lot of people equate rich business man with genius

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

he also met Tom Mueller and the Shotwells after he tried to buy decommed ICBMs with his money

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I don't have much money and am pretty dumb, so there is at least some correlational evidence that Elon is very smart

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Rubber Chicken posted:

Not defending it in any way but a lot of people equate rich business man with genius
No worries Rubber Chick

MrQwerty posted:

he also met Tom Mueller and the Shotwells after he tried to buy decommed ICBMs with his money

First man to send Emeralds into outers space