Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

1st AD posted:

The ones that retract are just used for the ignition/disengagement effect. When they're doing fight scenes they use a more traditional design with a harder plastic.

Right, but if they sold them, you know people would still fight with them, and break them. Hence not selling them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Sounds like a great way to sell more product, as people keep buying new ones when they break them.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

It didn't strike me how much I enjoyed Bad Batch until the entire series was over. That was a remarkably entertaining show involving a group of clones that I initially didn't feel one way or another about.

Kind of sad it's over but glad that it concluded their story well enough.

Also I think I never fully accepted Techs death. Even after they showed his broken Goggles on Omegas ship dashboard. I kept expecting him to return somehow before the end of Season 3.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I dislike the way that Dee Bradley Baker decided that the way clones speak is as if they are all heavily out of breath.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Alchenar posted:

I dislike the way that Dee Bradley Baker decided that the way clones speak is as if they are all heavily out of breath.

Isn't that basically how Morrison played them in the movies?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Larryb posted:

Isn't that basically how Morrison played them in the movies?

Sorry, I should clarify because my memory is busted, he only really does this for Hunter.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I mean, he puts effort into making each clone sound a little different. I'm ok if dudes gotta dip into the breathless well for a character like Hunter after doing thousands of these slight variations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Baker's good at faking it but I'm glad they got a proper New Zealand actress for Omega at least (in fact I kind of want to hear/see more of Michelle Ang in this franchise even if she's not playing the same character). Omega might have even been her first voice acting role come to think of it

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Turns out Tales of the Empire is already available on D+ in my part of the world. After watching the whole thing I have to say that, while it looked really good, I'm not too crazy about it as far as the story and characters were concerned. For a former Nightsister Morgan Elspeth is surprising bland, though that is pretty much in keeping with Ahsoka (which this anthology does little more than set her up for). As for Barriss: to be honest, I never was keen on what TCW did with her character to begin with, and the three 15-minute-long episodes TotE had to offer did not feel nearly sufficient to explore her fraught past and present. Never mind that she probably dies at the end… unless she doesn't! You never know with lightsabre wounds these days.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I assume despite the change in title every episode still deals primarily with force and/or lightsaber users?

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Both characters' episodes generally play out as you'd probably expect in that regard. (Morgan does not use any magick/Force abilities from what I remember, but then she rarely did so during her previous appearances either.)

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

I enjoyed both arcs. Turns out Morgan, who died an angry mook, pretty much lived her life as one as well. At least with her arc we got some very cool fights plus Force magicks that isn’t Nightsister magicks, which is interesting to say the least

Regarding Barriss, I wish we got juuust a bit more of an insight into her character in these shorts (she has, what, 3 lines in the first short?) but overall it was some pretty good, thoughtful stuff.

Why they made her fate so ambiguous (and why they made her look so old despite it only being 10-15 years later) is beyond me lol

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Cross-Section posted:

I enjoyed both arcs. Turns out Morgan, who died an angry mook, pretty much lived her life as one as well. At least with her arc we got some very cool fights plus Force magicks that isn’t Nightsister magicks, which is interesting to say the least

Regarding Barriss, I wish we got juuust a bit more of an insight into her character in these shorts (she has, what, 3 lines in the first short?) but overall it was some pretty good, thoughtful stuff.

Why they made her fate so ambiguous (and why they made her look so old despite it only being 10-15 years later) is beyond me lol

Probably so they have an excuse to bring her back again later if they so choose

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Well, TotE was...fine

Felt more complete than TotJ at least, and did a great job at making me wish Kenobi and Ahsoka were animated series so they could actually do action choreography

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Edit: Nevermind

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:52 on May 4, 2024

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Nah I want to see how Acolyte and Skeleton Key turn out before making sweeping statements like that. The recent Filoniverse stuff should've been animated though sure.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

There are no more new shows on the horizon currently after Skeleton Crew right? I know Andor and Ahsoka are getting another season eventually and I believe Mando is getting both the movie AND a Season 4 if I heard correctly

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Larryb posted:

There are no more new shows on the horizon currently after Skeleton Crew right? I know Andor and Ahsoka are getting another season eventually and I believe Mando is getting both the movie AND a Season 4 if I heard correctly

Andor's new season has been filmed and is out next year while The Mando Movie (ft. Grogu) apparently starts filming in June.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Larryb posted:

Honestly aside from Andor SW should just be animated from here on. They’ve overall got a better track record than the live action stuff and would probably be cheaper to make overall (plus you can just do more with the medium in general)

That's dodging the fundamental problem that a Star Wars show is likely to be good in direct proportion to the degree to which it is able to fly under the radar of the Disney/Lucasfilm execs and people are just left to do their silly animations or weird 12 episode show that's 95% slow talking.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Imo the funner the show the more animated it should be

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Andor's new season has been filmed and is out next year while The Mando Movie (ft. Grogu) apparently starts filming in June.

Has it been confirmed that we’re also getting a Season 4 or is the Mando movie effectively replacing it?

Also Disney dismantled parts of Lucasfilm Animation last year but I’m not sure how/if future shows will be affected by this:

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/singapore/lucasfilm-shut-operations-singapore-studio-animation-visual-effects-disney-3700061

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Cross-Section posted:

As to the first point, apart from allowing for her return as Larryb suggested, it may just have been an artistic choice. Whether Barris survives or not isn't really the point - the point is that Lyn finds her way out, both literally and figuratively as indicated by her leaving behind her lightsaber. Showing Barris recovering would take away the focus from that. That she bothered to try and save Barris is also important, not just as an act of redemption, but from a narrative perspective as it completes the reversal of Barris' own arc. When Lyn initiated a fight earlier, Barris mirrored the Grand Inquisitor's demonstration before she joined the Inquisitors, subverting his lesson that the Jedi ways are inferior. Ultimately, that led to Barris killing a friend to save her own life. Now, Lyn saves herself by saving a friend - or at least trying to.

The second thing didn't surprise me all that much, but I found it odd that Lyn did not appear to have aged at all. Maybe it was just to illustrate the physical hardships Barris has had to endure, living in exile for a decade or more.

One thing that did surprise me was that for episode 3, Katee Sackhoff/Bo-katan was listed in the credits. I think she was just the voice on the comm responding to the SOS? Seems a bit of an odd choice, but I could see this being the first one in a series of events that ultimately leads to her directing Din to Corvus.

Anyway, being shorts I don't think you can expect too much from them, but I thought there was some good drama in there and if nothing else they look fab. No complaints here.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

HootTheOwl posted:

Imo the funner the show the more animated it should be

Maybe they should make it muppets style where it's just Ewan and Hayden acting against animated characters.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Larryb posted:

Honestly aside from Andor SW should just be animated from here on. They’ve overall got a better track record than the live action stuff and would probably be cheaper to make overall (plus you can just do more with the medium in general)

Honestly, no it loving shouldn't. A mix of both is fine but spare me your bollocks that one form or the other exclusively is the way forward.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Alchenar posted:

Maybe they should make it muppets style where it's just Ewan and Hayden acting against animated characters.

Watching him kill a bunch of Muppet younglings would have been good and cool. Yes.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Sentinel Red posted:

Honestly, no it loving shouldn't. A mix of both is fine but spare me your bollocks that one form or the other exclusively is the way forward.

Fair point honestly. The quality of a SW series seems to depend greatly on who’s working on it rather than the medium it’s presented in (even the animated stuff doesn’t always hit) so I take it back

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:53 on May 4, 2024

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tzur6JrUEA

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Seems interesting enough. I forget, do we know how many episodes this is going to be yet?

Also still no release date for Skeleton Crew aside from sometime this year I assume?

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Larryb posted:

Fair point honestly. The quality of a SW series seems to depend greatly on who’s working on it rather than the medium it’s presented in (even the animated stuff doesn’t always hit) so I take it back
While I agree, the big advantage animation has is it's cheaper to produce.

All things equal, sure I prefer live action. But I feel like the animated team has really come into their own, especially CWS7 onward with a specific style that I think works beautifully for Star Wars.

Up until then, the animated look of all of the series has been a minor turn off to me. I'm kind of curious to see what I would think of they "remixed" every series (lol, even the Boba Fett short) using the current style. I realize how controversial that could be as I understand many liking Rebels look from the start.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I feel like an animated version of Ahsoka with the Rebels voice cast probably would have been a little better at least (that might have even been the original plan early on based on what’s been said in this thread until Filoni changed his mind)

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Larryb posted:

Seems interesting enough. I forget, do we know how many episodes this is going to be yet?

Also still no release date for Skeleton Crew aside from sometime this year I assume?

8 episodes total for the season.

And Jon Watts actually just said yesterday that Skeleton Crew is dropping some time in December.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Cheesus posted:

All things equal, sure I prefer live action. But I feel like the animated team has really come into their own, especially CWS7 onward with a specific style that I think works beautifully for Star Wars.

It's a shame we'll probably never get to see Rebels' style again - I'd love to see what they could do with that look given their recent experience and improvement.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

HootTheOwl posted:

Watching him kill a bunch of Muppet younglings would have been good and cool. Yes.

Recreating the original cantina scene and cutting off some muppet's arm is something I need to see.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Muppets did do a whole Star Wars themed episode back in the day with Mark Hamill and Tony Daniels guest starring at any rate (maybe more than one, where did that meme image of Kermit next to himself in a cloak come from?)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:56 on May 4, 2024

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Larryb posted:

Muppets did do a whole Star Wars themed episode back in the day with Mark Hamill and Tony Daniels guest starring at any rate (maybe more than one, where did that meme image of Kermit next to himself in a cloak come from?)

2014's Muppets Most Wanted, with an evil doppelganger of Kermit

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also the new miniseries was decent but it probably should have been called Tales of the Dark Side or something as the Empire actually had very little to do with it (when I hear the name Tales of the Empire I expect to see stories about people like Tarkin, Thrawn, etc)

Hell, if you must include some Force users just give us a Vader and/or Palpatine focused story

Larryb fucked around with this message at 18:55 on May 4, 2024

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

I don't know what is going on with Lucasfilm but this is yet another show produced for Disney Plus that looks cheaply made, despite it obviously not being cheap to produce.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I thought Offee's story was a bit rubbish tbh. Spoiler discussion I guess the entire three episode arc revolves around the idea that she can pass Inquisitor training and use the dark side without actually falling, and that the Inquisitors don't notice that she hasn't drunk from the Be Angry All the Time cup. Two main problems: firstly it's just a bit lazy storytelling; you can't have a redemption arc if you never actually fall. Secondly, the thing that's always made the Dark Side so dangerous is that tapping into it is immediately and inherently corrupting in a big way - so much so that Yoda and Obi Wan tread redemption as so rare as to be impossible. It's a core part of the danger of the Force - use it in the wrong way and your very soul is at risk. Treating the Dark side as something that you can dabble in and then just turn away from is a miss in my books..

e: ^^ Lucas invested heavily in VFX so that when he put something on your screen, it was something you had never seen done before. Disney does it so that they can avoid practical sets or doing extensive choreography for fight sequences.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 19:52 on May 4, 2024

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
I'm not even talking about set extensions or green screen or whatever. The cinematography and color treatment give the show the appearance of being as if I were watching a stage play that was being filmed with the most rudimentary of lighting. Compare this to scenes from Andor where, even when they are set extensions or even fully green screen, they look like they're all in a realistic world where cameras happen to be filming this scene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Alchenar posted:

I thought Offee's story was a bit rubbish tbh. Spoiler discussion I guess the entire three episode arc revolves around the idea that she can pass Inquisitor training and use the dark side without actually falling, and that the Inquisitors don't notice that she hasn't drunk from the Be Angry All the Time cup. Two main problems: firstly it's just a bit lazy storytelling; you can't have a redemption arc if you never actually fall. Secondly, the thing that's always made the Dark Side so dangerous is that tapping into it is immediately and inherently corrupting in a big way - so much so that Yoda and Obi Wan tread redemption as so rare as to be impossible. It's a core part of the danger of the Force - use it in the wrong way and your very soul is at risk. Treating the Dark side as something that you can dabble in and then just turn away from is a miss in my books..
I don't know if at this point OT-era Yoda and Obi-Wan are really reliable when it comes to the Dark Side. If nothing else, we've already seen others like Ventress and Reva manage not to be lost to the Dark Side forever. That aside, as I argued in my other post, I feel like the point of Barriss' episodes isn't that she is redemeed, but that Lyn is. That redemption may come a bit too easy too, but there's only so much character development you can do in shorts like these.