Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
I ain't clickin on that. That's dumb asf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

The 7th Guest posted:

yeah!

it's an ARPG

That’s right, an Always Running for Potions Game!

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.

The 7th Guest posted:

yeah!

it's an ARPG

It's the best text adventure I've ever played.

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg
Last time I played The Darkness was on a 480i CRT, now I'm playing on a 4K OLED and it's so cool to actually see the little details it had, and at a resolution way beyond what the consoles were capable of rendering. Looks amazing for the time, and the load screens being masked behind those black room monologues was a great idea. It's impressive they got this running on consoles

I love the atmosphere. Cold, dark nights in the city, but then the interiors where you're not being shot at has this nice warm lighting. And stencil shadows everywhere aw yeah

This is the kinda stuff that's too high budget for indie retrofps devs to chase after, and then too old for anyone else to care about. RIP TD1. It's a shame you died on 7th gen consoles. The aim acceleration is awful and I really wanna use a mouse, I actually died a few times just trying to shoot out some lights.
Emulating it still isn't perfect, bloom was too bright for me even with the patch, lens flares render through walls so I had to disable them, and rendering at a higher resolution is really taxing. Water reflections destroyed my FPS

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe
Is Wolfenstein 3D just chopped liver now? What, not the first fps because it didn't have ceilings?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Maybe it's because I didn't play it as a kid but my god is wolf 3d boring as poo poo

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
Wolf3D rules and always will. Piles and piles of dead nazis.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Flubby posted:

Is Wolfenstein 3D just chopped liver now? What, not the first fps because it didn't have ceilings?

What about Catacomb 3D, bub?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I don't think the idea was really that doom was the first FPS, it's that doom was a huge phenomenon that set off a wave of imitators and spinoffs in a way that Wolf3d wasn't.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

FrumpleOrz posted:

Wolf3D rules and always will. Piles and piles of dead nazis.

Just play the levels in doom 2 with good weapons instead

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
doom is a oregon trail clone

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

Flubby posted:

I mean, it’s out there? I don’t think most people would argue against it being the first real FPS even if stuff like Catacombs of the Abyss 3-D or Spectre VR predate it. ECWolf is a solid platform-agnostic port, albeit without 3D acceleration support, and supports Spear of Destiny and Super 3D Noah’s Ark too.

But Wolfenstein’s gameplay is simple, in a way that makes it feel more like its 90s shareware contemporaries compared to many titles that have gotten remasters. I can kvetch that Rise of the Triad is a mess, but it has lively power ups and jump pads and an anarchic spirit that keeps it more varied, and it’s literally Wolfenstein’s engine pushed as far as it can go with a sprig of surreal, impertinent comedy in its game direction. Would I like to see a remaster of Wolfy that doesn’t require I manually add a source port for native OS support and higher resolutions than sludgy mode 13H video? Yeah! Throw in some interviews, have somebody make some maps for it that try to do neat new things as a bonus episode, at least include the Mac port with its higher res sprites, audio, and new weapons as a treat. Would I count on it? Nah. I think anything prior to Doom has its work cut out for it as far as remasters go.

Hasturtium fucked around with this message at 05:04 on May 4, 2024

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

HolyKrap posted:

Last time I played The Darkness was on a 480i CRT, now I'm playing on a 4K OLED and it's so cool to actually see the little details it had, and at a resolution way beyond what the consoles were capable of rendering. Looks amazing for the time, and the load screens being masked behind those black room monologues was a great idea. It's impressive they got this running on consoles

I love the atmosphere. Cold, dark nights in the city, but then the interiors where you're not being shot at has this nice warm lighting. And stencil shadows everywhere aw yeah

This is the kinda stuff that's too high budget for indie retrofps devs to chase after, and then too old for anyone else to care about. RIP TD1. It's a shame you died on 7th gen consoles. The aim acceleration is awful and I really wanna use a mouse, I actually died a few times just trying to shoot out some lights.
Emulating it still isn't perfect, bloom was too bright for me even with the patch, lens flares render through walls so I had to disable them, and rendering at a higher resolution is really taxing. Water reflections destroyed my FPS

I love this look for games so so much. Doom 3, FEAR, Riddick, Condemned... agh!!!!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

You know what was great about The Darkness? There wasn't anything supernatural except the titular Darkness

You know what kind of sucks about The Darkness 2?

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Not that it refutes your point, but it is a comic book adaptation, and the Angelus was part of that from the outset. Especially since it was supposed to be part of a greater Top Cow universe with Witchblade.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Hogama posted:

Not that it refutes your point, but it is a comic book adaptation, and the Angelus was part of that from the outset. Especially since it was supposed to be part of a greater Top Cow universe with Witchblade.

Yes, but the Darkness 1 is also unlike the comics, like, a lot and part of The Darkness 2's flaws is bringing more of the comic book in

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Turin Turambar posted:

The first one was a 19 map wad, this one is a 32 map wad, I guess this is why most are small.

I'm pretty sure it looks the same, there may be some rosy googles in your memories

I'm only about half way through PD2 but IIRC PD1 had more custom work done. Whether that equals 'better' is left as an exercise for the reader. From reading the Doomworld thread it sounds like that was a conscious tradeoff to increase compatibility for the sequel.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

HolyKrap posted:

It's a shame that Starbreeze painted itself into a corner with Payday 3's ongoing fiasco. They had a great start with quality stuff (Riddick, The Darkness), then started sliding into iffy territory (Syndicate and other non-Payday Overkill projects) and ending up like they are now.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

gently caress that looks good. The textures are a little bit low resolution but otherwise it still looks great to me, if they were to remaster it they'd barely have to touch it.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Takes No Damage posted:

I'm only about half way through PD2 but IIRC PD1 had more custom work done. Whether that equals 'better' is left as an exercise for the reader. From reading the Doomworld thread it sounds like that was a conscious tradeoff to increase compatibility for the sequel.

Haven't played PD2 yet since it seems like it's still a bit of a work in progress (there's been some back and forth about whether the arch vile replacement is racist and whether it's reasonable to do a slightly edited sprite with less human looking skin). The one level that really struck me in the first pack was the voodoo one, just an absolutely insane amount of poo poo going on.

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

Grimthwacker posted:

It's a shame that Starbreeze painted itself into a corner with Payday 3's ongoing fiasco. They had a great start with quality stuff (Riddick, The Darkness), then started sliding into iffy territory (Syndicate and other non-Payday Overkill projects) and ending up like they are now.

Yeah, a lot of people behind those older Starbreeze games jumped ship to MachineGames after Syndicate, which you can kinda notice in Wolfenstein. But the engine they worked on in Starbreeze is just cool as hell, you can really see the demo scene roots they had just by the menus, like they added their own personal touches just by being computer graphics nerds. Riddick's menu was that rotating cube with protruding letters, even the dev console was bump mapped with colored lighting moving across it. The Darkness has the tentacles that cover the screen where the menu casts a nice shadow overtop.

TD1 feels right at home with being a PC game. You can turn lights on and off and flush toilets. And maybe a world first in FPS interactivity, I found a table saw, turned it on, jumped onto it and died.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
I wanted to like The Darkness 2 but the cockney voiced imp creature that leads you by the hand through the levels was completely insufferable so I made it about halfway through before checking out. Never got a chance to play 1, but it looks so dope.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The Darkness 1 is incredibly good, go play it.

I mean, its kind of messy and rough and feature short but its got an emotional heart thats surprising for a game where you literally eat a lot of dudes hearts.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

So yeah, Reaver turned out pretty great. It's still in EA I guess but it's definitely got that bouncy shooty feel it borrowed from Ultrakill. Might even be a full price purchase ($15) if you like the demo enough, but I waited for a sale because I'm poor and extremely stupid.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
A PC Gamer article just put "They Came From Dimension X" on my radar, which looks a bit like a Quake mod where you defy gravity by running on walls and ceilings while a theremin plays in the background

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2115890/They_Came_From_Dimension_X/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GW7-vfx7K8g

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

A PC Gamer article just put "They Came From Dimension X" on my radar, which looks a bit like a Quake mod where you defy gravity by running on walls and ceilings while a theremin plays in the background

I gave this a try when it first demoed. Seemed really cool but unfortunately the performance was awful, borderline unplayable. I hope they’ve improved it.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Barudak posted:

You know what was great about The Darkness? There wasn't anything supernatural except the titular Darkness

You know what kind of sucks about The Darkness 2?

This is why I loved the first game and thought the second was unneeded and while good on its own rather lame as a follow up to the first. TD1 was also a pretty decent self contained story while 2 ended with a sequel hook for one that was never made.
I also tried to read the comic book after finishing the first title since the first arc was written by Garth Ennis whose work I generally like and drat it was bad and gets even worse after that. Wasn't surprised when I read an interview some time later where he was asked about it and basically said it was done for a paycheck.

Also, as was already mentioned, a lot of the Starbreeze people who worked on Riddick/Darkness left the studio in the late 2000s and formed MachineGames. nuWolfenstein has a lot of the same feel in terms of taking a really dumb core concept and making it oddly emotional alongside some plot beats being similar.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

This came up a while ago, earlier demo or something. I'm definitely looking forwards to it, it's super my jam.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Heavy Metal posted:

What about Catacomb 3D, bub?

It's weird that this pre-Wolf3D fps has more things going for it than Wolf3D does, graphics-aside.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Not too impressed with Dark Forces Remastered. The midi music is unbearable to listen to and the default controls are bad on Switch.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

SeANMcBAY posted:

Not too impressed with Dark Forces Remastered. The midi music is unbearable to listen to and the default controls are bad on Switch.

There’s some weird timing thing with the music; if you change it to the OPL3 version it sounds better (no idea why it isn’t the default).

I don’t have any complaints with the controls though :confused:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
There's some bugs in the MIDI playback, yeah. They were working on a patch and posted a music clip to demonstrate that it had improved a lot, but that was a while ago.

cuc
Nov 25, 2013
I adore Nightdive's faithful recreation of CG cutscenes in Quake 2 and Dark Forces (kudos to the cinematic artist Brendan McKinney!) down to the period-appropriate rendering styles, and wish to see more of that.

But on the topic of Dark Forces itself, my sincere and by no means intentionally contradictory opinion is:

1. Back in the 90s, I never liked Dark Forces' art style, always thought it was gloomy and monotonous, not how I pictured Star Wars*.

Today, a better-learned me understands that the art style reflects the devs' solution to a problem all good 3D DOS game devs in mid-90s must solve - fitting brightness gradients of enough colors into a 256-color palette. And instead of trying to approach a realistic look, they went for more stylized palettes resembling Star Wars' early mono-color comic strips.

(Meanwhile, congrats to Jedi Outcast for nailing the Star Wars: Brown FPS Edition (tm) vibe.)

2. The comparison videos made me appreciate how much better Dark Forces is in the original 320x200 resolution than the remaster; the lower resolution effectively hides the lack of geometry details, and feels extra harmonious with this game's color-blocks-heavy texture style.

* It didn't help that my first SW game was the FMV rail shooter Rebel Assault 2, which felt exactly right - that game was the only direct translation of the live action SW style to a game up to that point, a culmination of LucasArts' exploration in recapturing the movie magic; all prior games have been varyingly stylized. And today, I can better recognize the art direction choices the devs made to mask the limits they were working against.

Easter egg: Rebel Assault 2 reuses the Dark Forces trooper blaster sprite for a 1st-person infrared vision section.
No doubt the infrared effect is another way to get around the palette limit.

cuc fucked around with this message at 06:02 on May 5, 2024

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Baron von Eevl posted:

Haven't played PD2 yet since it seems like it's still a bit of a work in progress (there's been some back and forth about whether the arch vile replacement is racist and whether it's reasonable to do a slightly edited sprite with less human looking skin). The one level that really struck me in the first pack was the voodoo one, just an absolutely insane amount of poo poo going on.

I'd go ahead and play it if you're interested, it's down to just tiny tweaks and bug fixes at this point. I did posted once about the arch flame attack getting stuck after one died and just sat there looping for the rest of the map, but it sounds like that was a known issue and is still being investigated.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

cuc posted:

* It didn't help that my first SW game was the FMV rail shooter Rebel Assault 2, which felt exactly right - that game was the only direct translation of the live action SW style to a game up to that point, a culmination of LucasArts' exploration in recapturing the movie magic; all prior games have been varyingly stylized. And today, I can better recognize the art direction choices the devs made to mask the limits they were working against.

Oh man. When I was a kid my friend got Rebel Assault 2 and I was so jealous it looked so good. So then I saw the first game in a store and convinced my dad to get it, and neither he nor I were ever able to get past the tutorial. I've only ever seen the section past the opening canyons like, twice. I don't know what was up with that game.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

catlord posted:

Oh man. When I was a kid my friend got Rebel Assault 2 and I was so jealous it looked so good. So then I saw the first game in a store and convinced my dad to get it, and neither he nor I were ever able to get past the tutorial. I've only ever seen the section past the opening canyons like, twice. I don't know what was up with that game.
RA1 has the lovely canyon mission to start with. RA2 has shooting gallery with nothing to run into for the first level, and the second is pretty forgiving too. RA1 also has some weird joystick deadzone issues that makes it a lot harder than it should be.

I’m past the halfway point in Pirate Doom 2 and liking it a lot. It gets a lot better looking after the first few maps. He’s gotten really fond of moving floors and monsters closets in the last decade.

I couldn’t figure out the secret exit in Forbidden land. I could see it from the highest point in the map but didn’t have any luck finding my way there. I missed a door several times towards the end of Scuffle Town. There’s a shovel you can pick up in the store but I wasn’t able to figure out what you’re supposed to do with it. I was running around the cemetery trying to activate everything. Maybe it was supposed to be used outside the mansion? The SOMI shopkeeper’s head is hanging from the ceiling in a secret area. That was a nice touch.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

catlord posted:

RA2s like third or fourth level is flying a not-millennium falcon out of a cave that I couldn't beat for months until I could convince my parents to buy me a joystick specifically for that one level lol

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

site posted:

RA2s like third or fourth level is flying a bit millennium falcon out of a cave that I couldn't beat for months until I could convince my parents to buy me a joystick specifically for that one level lol

I never played 2 but I think I had to get a Gravis stick of some kind to beat 1.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

RA2 at least eases you in. First level is just shooting in a B-Wing. Second is an on foot shooting level. 3rd is the YT-1300 in the cave level that’s actually kind of hard. I’m not a kid anymore so beating my head against it any time I get on a computer isn’t fun anymore.

RA1 is hard instantly and with its canyon run. Just lightly touching the joystick sends you careening towards the wall. I beat RA2 as an 8 or 9 year old but was 2 to 3 stages towards the end with RA1 and never beat it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Fil5000 posted:

Full 6DOF movement in VR seems like it would result in a LOT of vomiting.

Overload VR was fine for me though the cockpit provides a fixed point of reference which makes it easier