Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

tactics was alright. I wanted a fallout 3 crpg and was puzzled why they didn't instead focus on that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Someone reminded me of a message I sent when my pretender woke up in one of my games back in Dominions 5:

"Pretender: Online. Censors: Online. Blessings: Online. All temples nominal."

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

StashAugustine posted:

Looking at 6mm Warhammer stuff for armageddon and not sure if I need to be talked into or out of it

there's someone in the mini painting thread who is incredible at small scale miniature terrain and units. it's disgusting. i envy them so much

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

my dad posted:

Someone reminded me of a message I sent when my pretender woke up in one of my games back in Dominions 5:

"Pretender: Online. Censors: Online. Blessings: Online. All temples nominal."

lovely

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

StashAugustine posted:

Looking at 6mm Warhammer stuff for armageddon and not sure if I need to be talked into or out of it

into

Can't escape my agenda

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
it looks like the TOTAL WAR franchise is on sale.

I'm thinking of picking up:

- Attila
- Shogun 2 and Rise of the Samurai (I already have Fall of the Samurai)
- Pharaoh

for Pharaoh, Creative Assembly announced yesterday that they are planning to release a free update which will expand the map across Mesopotamia and the Aegean, while adding Babylon, Assyria, Mycenae, and Troy as playable factions, effectively turning the game into a full-on Bronze Age campaign

other games I'm wondering about if they're any good:

- Three Kingdoms
- Rome 2: my impression is that this is redundant if I'm already getting Attila?
- Rome Remastered: my impression is that the remaster was not all that good because it was too much of a one-to-one port with none of the modern UI/UX improvements?

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
i enjoyed three kingdoms at launch but at some point they patched it so it basically can't run on my computer any more so i'd watch out if your rig is out of date. shogun 2's the best imo so you're already getting the most important thing

atelier morgan has issued a correction as of 04:52 on May 3, 2024

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
Yeah, I like Three Kingdoms but it's really different from a Total War game. Much more focused on your faction and leader characters. Not much in the way of agents and very much a military game.

I kind of liked how the diplomacy system worked though. Making it more of a straight transaction worked well. But there's bits that don't feel quite as fleshed out as they should be. It's still a huge bummer that if you're one of the Yellow Turban factions and you manage to overthrow the capital or capture the emperor, then it's just treated as a little pop-up on the screen. Feels like it should be a game changer.

Also I don't know if I just suck at the game and let it drag out too much, but several of the factions have a habit of kind of running out of gas and the game turning into an auto-resolve slog at the end.

I will say that I really liked the differences between the kingdoms. Several of them play in very different ways and the early game is really well done.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

- Attila
- Pharaoh

for Pharaoh, Creative Assembly announced yesterday that they are planning to release a free update which will expand the map across Mesopotamia and the Aegean, while adding Babylon, Assyria, Mycenae, and Troy as playable factions, effectively turning the game into a full-on Bronze Age campaign

- Three Kingdoms
- Rome 2: my impression is that this is redundant if I'm already getting Attila?
- Rome Remastered: my impression is that the remaster was not all that good because it was too much of a one-to-one port with none of the modern UI/UX improvements?

Rome 2 got more DLC after CA stopped making DLC for Atilla

I'm not really sure why, I mostly remember it for being a bizarre bit of game news

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Atrocious Joe posted:

Rome 2 got more DLC after CA stopped making DLC for Atilla

I'm not really sure why, I mostly remember it for being a bizarre bit of game news

they prob looked at the stats and realized way more ppl have the base game than Attila

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Rome remastered is excellent, the main problem is the weird UI they went with that everyone hated. They unlocked a ton of old hardcoded limits so mods have gotten pretty wacky although I'm not sure how much of the scene is still alive

Attila runs pretty poorly vs Rome 2, and the overall feel of the campaign is very different but still really fun. Rome 2 does have super grog Divide Et Imperia mod which some swear by

Three kingdoms rules

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Rome 2 no longer sucks and its probably got the most faction variety of any historical, but imo the campaign is really boring and uninspired. Atilla has kinda bad army rosters and the AI can't quite make the campaign work, but it's one of the most interesting campaigns in the series. But yeah it does have a lot of problems with performance

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

StashAugustine posted:

Rome 2 no longer sucks and its probably got the most faction variety of any historical, but imo the campaign is really boring and uninspired. Atilla has kinda bad army rosters and the AI can't quite make the campaign work, but it's one of the most interesting campaigns in the series. But yeah it does have a lot of problems with performance

Hows the multiplayer? A buddy and I were talking about doing a Rome v Carthage game together.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

gradenko_2000 posted:

- Attila
- Pharaoh

- Three Kingdoms

Rise of the samurai is kinda bad. Shogun 2 and FOTS are really good by contrast. Rome 2 has a big rear end very indepth mod called Divide et Impera but attila is basically a sequel so its your call. Rome remastered is a good remaster - not a remake with the big thing being modding being easier in the backend.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Correct take: all TW games suck.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Tankbuster posted:

Rise of the samurai is kinda bad.

Yeeeeah. I wanted to like it, but couldn't.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Minenfeld! posted:

Correct take: all TW games suck.

Medieval 1 was pretty good. Shogun 2 is good. Empire sucks twice.

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

oh just noticed theres an all playable mod for FOTS, might reinstall shogun 2

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

I liked M2TW and the first Shogun. I've forced myself to try basically each new TW release but I'm finally owning that I haven't liked any since M2TW. I do have Attila though but haven't played it still. It's my fav ancient time period too.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
RTR Imperium Surrectum looks cool - I think I'm sold on Rome Remastered

Sanlav
Feb 10, 2020

We'll Meet Again

Karl Barks posted:

I've been been playing HOI4 as Spain, transitioning to communism to beat nationalist Spain, and then to anarchism once they're beat, and trying to kick off an anarchist revolution in the rest of Europe

I am failing majorly at nordic communism.

They busted the normal mechanics (70% event, referendum for 100pp at 50) if you want to keep Trotsky. So I need 50% commie support & 500pp ASAP to get to the nordic conquest foci before Hitler starts disembarking in Oslo.

I'm entering a war with Sweden, Denmark, and Iceland July 39 right now and I think I'm too late. The Finns need me ... SISU

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
Shogun 2 is the best historical Total War by a long shot

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

John Charity Spring posted:

Shogun 2 is the best historical Total War by a long shot

definitely, three kingdoms looks fuckin slick tho

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

I like the old school Total Wars better on account of not having that weird mandated 1 on 1 fighting thing for the animations. I miss being able to ram three times the number of dudes into a unit and watch the poor fuckers in the middle basically get spitroasted instead of having two dudes watching each honorable duel before stepping in to take their turn.

CN CREW-VESSEL
Feb 1, 2024

敌人磨刀我们也磨刀
IL2 and DLC is also heavily discounted until May 14.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

gradenko_2000 posted:

- Attila
- Pharaoh

- Three Kingdoms

Three Kingdoms is the best game they've made. If you happen to like RotK that's icing on top

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Complications posted:

I like the old school Total Wars better on account of not having that weird mandated 1 on 1 fighting thing for the animations. I miss being able to ram three times the number of dudes into a unit and watch the poor fuckers in the middle basically get spitroasted instead of having two dudes watching each honorable duel before stepping in to take their turn.

I hate this an unreasonable amount

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

Complications posted:

isn’t that system why units don’t have much mass anymore and you can’t have dudes go flying from a calvary charge

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

That's kind of why you hear the Total War vets online refer to the new games as being 'arcadey' or feeling wrong. I didn't know what they meant until I saw some more in-depth analysis but basically in the old games things like cavalry charges or formations would be effective simply through how the units interacted with one another. For instance, if you put your cavalry in a v-shape, it would penetrate the enemy line and punch a hole in it simply due to the way the simulation worked, whereas in the newer game you press the formation button and it gives a percentage buff to the units attack power or whatever - it's no longer a simulation based on how the units interact physically just a modifier to the underlying spreadsheet. Similarly, if you put the Roman soldiers in tercio in Rome 1, it's effective because their shields physically stop the arrows simply by the shields being more of the surface area of the unit, whereas in something like Three Kingdoms, you just get a buff to arrow dodge %, so even if a unit is out of formation the arrow will simply explode in mid air and not hurt him because the stat says he doesn't get hurt. This sort of philosophy ends up applying to every mechanic in the games, which is why formation and positioning matter very little in the newer games and elite units with good stats matter a lot. Most of the strategy in the Warhammer games is based around finding the most broken unit for your faction and making a doomstack out of it, usually stacking as many modifiers as possible with your lord.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Mantis42 posted:

This sort of philosophy ends up applying to every mechanic in the games, which is why formation and positioning matter very little in the newer games

This has been identified as good design that will make the game more popular and will presumably lead to more sales and bigger profits.

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

if you want it to be

what does "arcade mode" do in the older games?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

IIRC makes ammunition and stamina limitless

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
i remember that medieval 1 was really fun once you got the high-end knights and could just go full battering ram against anything except pikemen

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

if you want it to be

Mantis42 posted:

IIRC makes ammunition and stamina limitless

lol rome 1 horse archers with infinite ammo

CN CREW-VESSEL
Feb 1, 2024

敌人磨刀我们也磨刀

Lostconfused posted:

This has been identified as good design that will make the game more popular and will presumably lead to more sales and bigger profits.

wargaming.txt , or how that square based, formation and flank orientated Warhammer Fantasy gave way to Age of Sigmar.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

It's honestly fine for tabletop games. Thanks to 3D printing you can have any army and terrain on the table that you can imagine.

The hardest part, and honestly the only part where popularity matters, is finding other people to play with. But if you know some people that want to move little toy soldiers on a table, then it's not that hard and you don't need the backing of a large commercial business anymore.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Rome Remastered question: I've taken over two Gaul settlements, and I occupied one and enslaved the other. I couldn't really tell much of a difference either way. Am I supposed to do something with the buildings that were already built? It seems like the game isn't stopping me from building Barracks and going directly into hiring Hastati out of the towns, but there's a line about the buildings belonging to a different culture and I don't know if there's some kind of penalty associated with that, and how I'm supposed to deal with it, if at all.

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

if you want it to be

gradenko_2000 posted:

Rome Remastered question: I've taken over two Gaul settlements, and I occupied one and enslaved the other. I couldn't really tell much of a difference either way. Am I supposed to do something with the buildings that were already built? It seems like the game isn't stopping me from building Barracks and going directly into hiring Hastati out of the towns, but there's a line about the buildings belonging to a different culture and I don't know if there's some kind of penalty associated with that, and how I'm supposed to deal with it, if at all.

enslaving redistributes some of the population to your other settlements

you can keep them, all the culture does is reduce public order a bit and if you build the next level of the building it turns into your version
the exception can be temples
if theres a built temple look at the bonus it gives, might give a unit bonus you dont have available yourself it can be worth keeping it
if it gives a bonus you dont care about you will probably want to destroy it as you cant upgrade it (unless it gives identical bonuses to one of your temples i think)

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

CN CREW-VESSEL posted:

wargaming.txt , or how that square based, formation and flank orientated Warhammer Fantasy gave way to Age of Sigmar.

My hot take is that if you're doing 28mm individual models, round base loose formation is the right move. Rank and flank should be multibased and ideally 15mm or less

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CN CREW-VESSEL
Feb 1, 2024

敌人磨刀我们也磨刀

StashAugustine posted:

My hot take is that if you're doing 28mm individual models, round base loose formation is the right move. Rank and flank should be multibased and ideally 15mm or less

Well, if we're offering hot takes, opinions on these...?