Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Lobok posted:

The biggest failing of USM right now is the action, yeah. I know everything's written as six issues so I'm hoping for a slam-bang finish to this first arc but so far the "Spider-Man" aspect has not been super impressive.

Oh really? Do we know if these ultimate comics are planned to continue beyond no. 6? Or are you saying that's just how the arcs are supposed to span?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

I think they mean in general because most publishers are just after the TPB market.

That said, I love that USM is low on action and high on cool story beats. It seems intentionally designed that way because from what it looks like, every issue starts a month of in universe time after the last. That’s why there’s no big action cliffhanger since it’s building the world, and while I can see why some people might not care for it I’m all in.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Regarding Spider-Man and his power levels, he's always been able to punch well above his weight because his combination of powers and intelligence and will make him almost overpowered. A serious, driven, and focused Spider-Man is scary.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Synthbuttrange posted:

He'll cause another ai uprising because he refuses to pay aiTony for work.

That was from slotts iron man right?

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Cael posted:

I think they mean in general because most publishers are just after the TPB market.

That said, I love that USM is low on action and high on cool story beats. It seems intentionally designed that way because from what it looks like, every issue starts a month of in universe time after the last. That’s why there’s no big action cliffhanger since it’s building the world, and while I can see why some people might not care for it I’m all in.

Thank you! This is my first stint subscribing to monthly single issue comics and not just getting TPBs years after the fact. So far it's very satisfying and quite expensive. It didn't seem too unhealthy when I stuck to the Ultimate line, which is pretty contained, and Fantastic Four, which seems very responsible about keeping to itself (and even having each issue come to a satisfying conclusion) but then I wanted to get in on the end of Krakoa stuff, and X-Men is where I can really see the "that's where they get you" machinery in full flush - it's so easy to think that you need to subscribe to another series to fill in more of the overall ongoing narrative, when you really probably don't. Any tips on keeping my pull list under control is welcome.

Speak
Jul 20, 2001

"Education Professional" model Doombot

The Grumbles posted:

Thank you! This is my first stint subscribing to monthly single issue comics and not just getting TPBs years after the fact. So far it's very satisfying and quite expensive. It didn't seem too unhealthy when I stuck to the Ultimate line, which is pretty contained, and Fantastic Four, which seems very responsible about keeping to itself (and even having each issue come to a satisfying conclusion) but then I wanted to get in on the end of Krakoa stuff, and X-Men is where I can really see the "that's where they get you" machinery in full flush - it's so easy to think that you need to subscribe to another series to fill in more of the overall ongoing narrative, when you really probably don't. Any tips on keeping my pull list under control is welcome.

Buy the stuff you want to read/keep up with in real-time, and subscribe to Marvel Unlimited for all of the other passing interest stuff (which also comes out on a monthly basis, just a few months later).

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

Codependent Poster posted:

Regarding Spider-Man and his power levels, he's always been able to punch well above his weight because his combination of powers and intelligence and will make him almost overpowered. A serious, driven, and focused Spider-Man is scary.

One of my favorite Spidey pages is the one where he just lets the Punisher wail on him because that poo poo don’t hurt.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Lobok posted:

The '90s animated series was the first time the symbiote saga was told as Peter being behaviorally changed by it. In the original comics there were glimpses of it being alive and the reader knows it eventually starts taking him out on patrol while he's asleep but Peter only wanted it gone after his suspicions took him to Reed, who confirmed he was host to a symbiote. It wasn't making him evil or super macho or selfish or whatever.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Yeah in the original story the symbiote was puppeting his body to crime fight while he was asleep, which was exhausting him. After getting it checked by Reed he learned it was starting to permanently bond to him, and Peter was not ok with having a strange alien merge with his body and start feeding off it, no mater what the benefits were. After the separation the Symbiote was locked up by Reed for a while, where it developed a grudge. It eventually escaped and hid in Peter's apartment to bond with him, were while fighting his own body he eventually got to the church and used the bells to separate from it. The Symbiote actually dragged Peter to safety because his damaged body at the time was at risk of dying from such close proximity to the bells before vanishing.

Oh wow, I never had any idea this was an invention of the cartoon. I haven't read the comics myself as said but I have heard how, say, Eddie Brock wasn't really a bad guy - no saint, but certainly not evil - until he became Venom. That a host has to constantly struggle against a symbiote's nature and all that.

So I just assumed it was always canon that a symbiote fucks up anybody who tries to use it.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Joe Fisto posted:

One of my favorite Spidey pages is the one where he just lets the Punisher wail on him because that poo poo don’t hurt.

Another is when Otto takes over as superior and in his first stint crime fighting he hits a guy with one punch and almost kills him, and Otto realizes Peter has been pulling his punches and treating him with kid gloves this whole time and he isn't the even match that he thought he was

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

NikkolasKing posted:

Oh wow, I never had any idea this was an invention of the cartoon. I haven't read the comics myself as said but I have heard how, say, Eddie Brock wasn't really a bad guy - no saint, but certainly not evil - until he became Venom. That a host has to constantly struggle against a symbiote's nature and all that.

So I just assumed it was always canon that a symbiote fucks up anybody who tries to use it.

I'd say it's less "a symbiote fucks up anybody who tries it" and more that it can. Like even before the cartoon there was an old What If...? that wondered what would happen if the symbiote had "possessed" Spider-Man but that was more like a takeover rather than manipulation.

With everything we know and see about symbiotes in all comics and other media it's pretty much just that one, original Spider-Man storyline in the 616 comics where for whatever reason a symbiote chose to stay hidden and benign at first. And I get why, because it's a juicier story to tell when Peter starts changing because of it.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Eddie was a hack journo whose expose on some vigilante was immediately rubbished when Spidey exposed the actual culprit 5 minutes later. He got fired, thought about killing himself and went to church in a last gasp search for meaning, which is when the goo fell from the rafters and they bonded over their Spidey grudge.

I confess I miss the OG Venom, the simple, creepy smile, bodybuilder Spidey look and straight revenge motive. Got no time for the lame drooling Black Hulk with a ten foot tongue yelling about brains bollocks that followed, or the army of the drat things.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
I know we're all busy discussing BLOOD HUNT but this week's Thor was great! Not as good as Roxxon Presents Thor, of course, but a worthy follow-up. Thor's internal monologue of MCU-style quips was very amusing.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
After Decimation, Quicksilver lost his powers and gave himself a new version of his powers in Son of M. When did he go from his weird time travel powers back to his normal super speed powers?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Spacebump posted:

After Decimation, Quicksilver lost his powers and gave himself a new version of his powers in Son of M. When did he go from his weird time travel powers back to his normal super speed powers?

X-Factor one shot. As to how? Don't worry about it.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
there was a little bit of a change iirc after he "died" in avengers no surrender and came back in a post event mini

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Didn't his time powers come from literally injecting terrigen crystals? Then when they were removed he lost the powers again. As to when he got them back after that I'm not sure.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I'm pretty sure the first issue of the new Deadpool/Wolverine book that is an unofficial follow-up to the Spider-Man/Wolverine book from however many years ago ends with Logan getting into a fight with an amalgamation of Ultimate and Wolverine Origins Deadpools, which is pretty funny

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

site posted:

That was from slotts iron man right?

Didnt Ai Tony happen because of Superior Iron Man? idk if thats slott but thats vaguely how I remember it.

Which is a completely different AI Tony to the one in Iron Man Hypervelocity.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Synthbuttrange posted:

Didnt Ai Tony happen because of Superior Iron Man? idk if thats slott but thats vaguely how I remember it.

Which is a completely different AI Tony to the one in Iron Man Hypervelocity.

No you're thinking of Bendis

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Codependent Poster posted:

If anything Peter is usually kind of slumming it a bit and holding back on his full strength

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

TwoPair posted:

No you're thinking of Bendis

no, you're thinking of Bendis. I was thinking of... Tom Taylor? https://www.marvel.com/comics/issue/52744/superior_iron_man_2014_8

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

OnimaruXLR posted:

I'm pretty sure the first issue of the new Deadpool/Wolverine book that is an unofficial follow-up to the Spider-Man/Wolverine book from however many years ago ends with Logan getting into a fight with an amalgamation of Ultimate and Wolverine Origins Deadpools, which is pretty funny

I've been looking forward to that, the Kelly one WWIII, does it follow up on stuff from a previous Spidey crossover comic?

Sentinel Red posted:

Eddie was a hack journo whose expose on some vigilante was immediately rubbished when Spidey exposed the actual culprit 5 minutes later. He got fired, thought about killing himself and went to church in a last gasp search for meaning, which is when the goo fell from the rafters and they bonded over their Spidey grudge.

I confess I miss the OG Venom, the simple, creepy smile, bodybuilder Spidey look and straight revenge motive. Got no time for the lame drooling Black Hulk with a ten foot tongue yelling about brains bollocks that followed, or the army of the drat things.

Certainly a fine take, but since I'm an Erik Larsen nut I gotta go pro-tongue. It's true #300 is a tough to top issue for the character though.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 07:14 on May 4, 2024

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Ther are so many more of these Marvel novelizations or original prose stories than I ever thought, and so many have been adapted into audiobooks. I'm getting sucked down a rabbit hole.

X-Men and Spider-Man: Time's Arrow: A Marvel Omnibus

X-Men Mutant Empire

Daredevil: Predator's Smile. I pickd this one up since I'm in a DD mood and figured why not. Apparently mostly about Bullseye.

Then there are novelizations of important comics stories:
Daredevil: Guardian Devil I've head ithe original story is not great but it is kinda important so I might just listen to this rather than read teh comic, I dunno.

Daredevil: The Man Without Fear

X-Men: The Dark Phoenix Saga.

Just curious if anyone here has read any of this and what they thought.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I've read most of the Spider-Man ones. Not sure why the X-Men and Spider-Man one never intrigued me but after all these years, now that I know a lot more about the X-Men, it'd be worth checking out.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

I liked Diane Duane's Spider-Man novelisations back in the 90s. I have no idea if this was just reflecting the comics of the time but I liked her take on Venom as an ecoterrorist.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Duane's were best overall but I thought Troy-Castro had a better handle on action and wisecracking.

I encountered Diane Duane on Twitter sometime in the last year or so and told her how great those Spidey books were, that felt good.

Also, I don't know if they're still in print but there were a couple of short story collections of Spider-Man back in the day. Had some good stuff in there. One of the ones that sticks with me was a tale of Peter being hospitalized after getting dosed with a psycho-active by Kraven and nobody believes his ramblings that someone is coming for him.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
There's a surprising amount of comic based novels; one of the X-Men/Star Trek crossovers was a novel, in between two comic series. I wouldn't mind hearing more about them, honestly, it seems like the books are a consistently overlooked bit of superhero media.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Why did Venom start caring about the environment

l33tfuzzbox
Apr 3, 2009
I still have the death of superman novel. It might have gone as far as reign and return but I'm not sure.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I always thought it would make sense for them to do a series of Daredevil audio dramas

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

l33tfuzzbox posted:

I still have the death of superman novel. It might have gone as far as reign and return but I'm not sure.

Yeah it covered all of that, much like the Knightfall novel covered the stuff after Bane breaks Batman's back

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
It'd be sorta lovely to have a Batman novel end with him crippled or a Superman novel end with him dead. In comics you know the next one is coming out in a month.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

drrockso20 posted:

Agreed, the Metro Book collections have been some of the best comics purchases I've made in the last couple years

Kurt Busiek is crazy underrated.

I'd like to see him write main title Spider-Man, untold tales is great and he clearly understands the character

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Party Boat posted:

I liked Diane Duane's Spider-Man novelisations back in the 90s. I have no idea if this was just reflecting the comics of the time but I liked her take on Venom as an ecoterrorist.

Lobok posted:

Duane's were best overall but I thought Troy-Castro had a better handle on action and wisecracking.

I encountered Diane Duane on Twitter sometime in the last year or so and told her how great those Spidey books were, that felt good.

Also, I don't know if they're still in print but there were a couple of short story collections of Spider-Man back in the day. Had some good stuff in there. One of the ones that sticks with me was a tale of Peter being hospitalized after getting dosed with a psycho-active by Kraven and nobody believes his ramblings that someone is coming for him.

They got three of her Spiderman books on Audible, I'll look into them. Thank you both.

quote:

Jack Kirby's contract was up for renewal in April 1978. At a convention in West Virginia, Stan Lee announced that Kirby had signed a long-term contract as an artist only; he said Kirby's scripting was “imaginative but undisciplined,’ but Lee was confident that the artwork would return to form once Kirby was paired with other writers.”

But there was no new contract. Kirby’s tour of duty was, in fact, coming to an end. His latest return had been a major disappointment, to him and to Marvel. None of his books had sold as well as hoped, the reaction from readers was less than enthusiastic, and even his supposed autonomy had been undermined. “The editorial staff up at Marvel had no respect for what he was doing,” said Jim Starlin. “All these editors had things on their walls making fun of Jack’s books. They'd cut out things saying ‘Stupidest Comic of the Year... . [T]his entire editorial office was just littered with stuff disparaging the guy who founded the company these guys were working for. He created all the characters these guys were editing.” Tensions were now worse than they'd ever been in the sixties. Kirby reportedly received hate mail on Marvel letterhead, and crank phone calls from the office.

Making my way through Marvel Comics: The Untold Story. Like...what the gently caress. I've never worked in an office in my life but this seems outrageous.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

site posted:

My money's on 'mistook penguins for baby Venoms'.

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

NikkolasKing posted:

They got three of her Spiderman books on Audible, I'll look into them. Thank you both.

Making my way through Marvel Comics: The Untold Story. Like...what the gently caress. I've never worked in an office in my life but this seems outrageous.

Funny coincidence, I just started reading the book and was thinking of posting my reactions and hesitated because I figured it’s probably old news to the thread. But yeah this stuff also struck me as completely beyond the pale.

Less importantly, it was kind of a bummer to find out that the buzzing, eccentric “Marvel Bullpen” environment was mostly a creation of Stan’s imagination, lol.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I am sucha sucker for vampires, so of course I loved Blood Hunt. I did not expect the twist at the end, but I knew something was up before that. The Moon Knight tie in was great too, making 8 Ball into an actual character instead of a joke is a fun ride. But the d tier working villain turning thier life around is another story arc I love.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

site posted:

If it’s Brock he’s pretty devout and caring about things that don’t get on his bad side.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Adam-Troy Castro wrote a trilogy of Spider-Man novels around 2001 that featured the Sinister Six and a masked woman who may or may not have been Peter's long-lost sister, years before Waid did the same thing in the Family Business OGN.

There's a sequence in Castro's third novel that's stuck with me for decades. It's an "emergency room blues" chapter told from the point of view of multiple security guards and employees as the Sinister Six plow straight through them. The novel is a fairly straightforward superhero book until that point, and in that chapter alone, it's suddenly straight-up horror, including one of the few times in the character's history where the Vulture is actually scary.

If you find a copy in the stacks at a used bookstore or something, it's worth checking out for that. I think it's Secret of the Sinister Six.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

nemesis_hub posted:

Funny coincidence, I just started reading the book and was thinking of posting my reactions and hesitated because I figured it’s probably old news to the thread. But yeah this stuff also struck me as completely beyond the pale.

Less importantly, it was kind of a bummer to find out that the buzzing, eccentric “Marvel Bullpen” environment was mostly a creation of Stan’s imagination, lol.

Well like you I'm also far behind the average person in this thread but I'd like to hear your thoughts on what you read if you care to share them. It's a fascinating book.

And I'm sure everyone here has read all the Daredevil stuff I plan to dive into but I'd still like to post my thoughts on them once I get around to it. It's no fun keeping thoughts all to yourself, you know.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 05:29 on May 5, 2024