Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

CelticPredator posted:

So what’s the actual secret for getting ammo during ops and expositions?

I’ve bonked enemies with the weapon I want ammo for and killed then and that seems to work but it’s still weird. I’m trying to get alien ammo.

But is thee an actual way besides using it to kill? Sometimes I go in empty lol

In addition to the contextual ammo from killing mobs, expeditions will award some amount of ammo for whatever weapon you have equipped at completion. I actually use that mechanic to get ultracite plasma and fusion cores.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Another thing I’m enjoying about Fallout 4 is that the map basically has like 50 or however many dungeons. As much as I loved BOTW and TOTK this is one aspect they could improve on!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I can't stop using photomode

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Skex posted:

In addition to the contextual ammo from killing mobs, expeditions will award some amount of ammo for whatever weapon you have equipped at completion. I actually use that mechanic to get ultracite plasma and fusion cores.

Does contextual ammo actually drop fusion cores if you run with a gatling laser? If so uh... yeah time to go mooch a few events for my power armor. It sucks burning 5 fusion cores because I want to use vats in power armor when things get spicy.

Also I love contextual ammo, playing at release sucked without it. Commando is fun and I don't have to stress about shooting things anymore. With a little trigger disciine you can end up ammo neutral or even positive in combat. I found a vampiric primed plasma flamer and I had 0 ammo for it. I did a few events in a group and I'm at like 1500 ammo without crafting a single one myself lol

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.
Commando with the Rail Rifle I generally plop 3-5 shots into an enemy and pick up 8-11 back. I think part of that is that Rail Spikes act like arrows and you get some amount of ammo back.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Making my way through the financial district. Absolutely crawling with nasties; super mutants, raiders, I even saw a giant crab. Then I come across a guy just standing there in the fog. Almost shot him, but he didn’t take an aggressive stance so I decided to see if he was in need to help or had some interesting side quest. What was he doing here? How could he stay alive when it’s so dangerous here?

He tried to convince me to sign up for a credit card

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
got to 45 and a ghoul dropped me a legendary mg42, 1 star additional damage on enemies at less than 40% hp. it's like the game knows i'm sitting on 12 fallout units of .308, that's like 2 mini nukes

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Hakarne posted:

Does contextual ammo actually drop fusion cores if you run with a gatling laser?

no, fusion/plasma cores, missiles, fatman mini-nukes are exempted from that system although you will get them in good amounts from completing daily ops as the end reward (not from any drops, just the end reward)

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Steve Yun posted:

Making my way through the financial district. Absolutely crawling with nasties; super mutants, raiders, I even saw a giant crab. Then I come across a guy just standing there in the fog. Almost shot him, but he didn’t take an aggressive stance so I decided to see if he was in need to help or had some interesting side quest. What was he doing here? How could he stay alive when it’s so dangerous here?

He tried to convince me to sign up for a credit card

I saw a tiktok about this a few days ago.

"Can I put this on my charge card?"
"I don't know what that is, but you can pay in caps"

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

CelticPredator posted:

I can't stop using photomode

love the last two.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Flesh Forge posted:

no, fusion/plasma cores, missiles, fatman mini-nukes are exempted from that system although you will get them in good amounts from completing daily ops as the end reward (not from any drops, just the end reward)

That's really good to know, thanks!

Also, I found a Fixer with +100% vats accuracy OOC/+50% crit damage and it's really fun for sneaking. I can pop into a room and have 95% accuracy with headshots in vats from crazy distances. Just spam vats, double tap the head, and jump to the next baddie with gun fu. Anything extra beefy gets crits and dies fast anyways. It clears rooms ridiculously fast, feels like some spec ops poo poo

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

how often do the vendor caps and legendary scrips restock in 76?

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

Kly posted:

Vendor Caps, the Scrip and Gold Machines all reset 1 hour after the Dailies for the scoreboard change.

I'm in Europe and right now Dailies reset at 6PM and the other stuff at 7PM.

If you aren't sure, when you look at the Dailies on the map it tells you when they reset, add 1 hour to that.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I just went there to loot these and noticed there is also a spawn of 4 bulk screws (that's 40 screws) and a bulk oil. That's a really easy place for a new player to get screws if you need them.

Yeah thanks for that pro tip, 40 screws in one spot is pretty great. I'm going to be hitting that up a lot! To be more specific, they're next to the red toolbox inside a tent with crafting benches (I think it's across from an armor bench). They were looted on the first world I checked so I had to server hop to find them.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

And today I learnt rolling the one star just makes an item into a one star, it doesn't keep the other two. Had to happen once I guess.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Kly posted:

Also the vendor will gain a percentage of caps from things you buy as well. I've been collecting the Serum recipes lately which each cost like 18k which is more than enough to max the vendor at 1400 caps again.

Black Griffon posted:

And today I learnt rolling the one star just makes an item into a one star, it doesn't keep the other two. Had to happen once I guess.

:negative:

I think I learned that one the hard way too.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Black Griffon posted:

This is a 76 rite of passage.

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different
The Mechanist fight in Fallout 4 is total rear end on higher difficulties, goddamn.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Lost my power armor chassis. Very lame. I’ll find another I guess.

I’m level 100 now and skipped the brotherhood stuff bc knight shin sucks rear end and I got tired of him. But I’m doing it now to get power armor so whateverrrrr

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

The only thing that has actually made me proper angry in 76 is discovering an audio log where some brotherhood dipshit talks about his found family while sitting next to a crackling fire and it's so nauseatingly sincere and saccharine and Todd's Brotherhood that it made me want to start a new great war.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

drat Dirty Ape posted:

:negative:

I think I learned that one the hard way too.

jabro posted:

This is a 76 rite of passage.

The one upside is that I've now stopped seeing the stars as different tiers, and that makes picking what to scrap and what to save way easier. If two out of three qualities suck, it's an instant scrap no matter how many stars are in front of said qualities.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I only know the show so for me the brotherhood is a deeply stupid group of people with really rad gear

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

CelticPredator posted:

Lost my power armor chassis. Very lame. I’ll find another I guess.

I’m level 100 now and skipped the brotherhood stuff bc knight shin sucks rear end and I got tired of him. But I’m doing it now to get power armor so whateverrrrr

Once you enter a frame it's yours forever unless you actually drop it from your intentory instead of placing to enter it so check your inventory, placed PA gets auto recalled after 60 seconds if you don't do anything with it.

Additionally, if you stash a PA frame with a core in it, the core gets removed and put under Ammo.

If you really need a new frame, the crafting area in Camden Park sometimes has one and the locked blue trailer at Wade Airport always has one in it.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

CelticPredator posted:

I only know the show so for me the brotherhood is a deeply stupid group of people with really rad gear

That's the best version of the brotherhood. Just a bunch of misguided blowhards with way too much power.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Sensenmann posted:

If you really need a new frame, the crafting area in Camden Park sometimes has one and the locked blue trailer at Wade Airport always has one in it.

Ty I’ll go there later

Basically I had too much stuff both in my stash and on me and wanted to do some organizing and like real life it helps to separate but this game doesn’t allow you to do this well so when I took my PAC out and left it in my base it never recalled and faded away forever

I like collecting weapons lol. But now I’m trying to figure out which ones are worth keeping and which ones I should scrap for parts and plans ect

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012
You could roll the ones you find worth keeping or interesting into legendaries and scrap everything else. There isn't a single non Legendary weapon or armor piece worth keeping since even the shittiest legendary roll is usually an improvement over the non legendary variant.

Scout Armor and Plasma Guns are the only gear that won't give a chance at learning a mod plan when you scrap them, those can only be modded with loose mods you find in the wild or buy from certain vendors.

Also, if you rename a weapon/armor/PA Frame you will get a notification when you attempt to drop it that this will destroy the item. It's not perfect but at least you got 1 additional layer of security before you lose something nice. Or just put a skin on it, if you can, that way they'll never show up when you enter the scrip machine interface.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yeah it’s not a huge deal as I find pac lying around all the time (big issue happened the night before where I wanted to yank a fusion core out of a rando set of armor by the Danes compound place and the game janked itself so I was somehow stuck in the armor and couldn’t exit so it ended up in my inventory)

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Hey I found a good bit of writing in Fallout 4. Came across a boathouse where an old lady had barricaded herself and was convinced she was a synth. Turned out that she was very paranoid and bad fallen asleep on watch and then she accidentally shot her grandson when he startled her awake. She convinced herself she had to have been a synth because nobody real could do something that awful. It was a great, but sad, look into the way paranoia about the Institute has seeped into the public consciousness that it is being used as a coping mechanism to displace trauma.

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

Its good but its no skeleton on a toilet

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I'm replaying Fallout 3 for the first time in a decade+ and Bethesda is good at that sort of incidental characterization you can find in the environment and in some of the sidequests. Why don't they put that energy into the main quests ever?

The other thing I'm appreciating is the vibes and art direction of the game. It's the last Fallout that actually felt post nuclear war in my mind. New Vegas is post-post-apocalypse, a different sort of subgenre in its own way, while 7 and 76 just feel like society collapsed for completely different reasons, outside of the Glowing Sea I guess. The skeletal remains of buildings that make up most of DC, the charred frames of old homes, and the sickly green veneer that everyone hated and modded out (but I actually kind of appreciate (and honestly on PC isn't as strong as you remember it being)) just work so well. Adam Adamowski's concept art for that game is among my favorite depictions of the post apocalypse ever, and while the Gamebryo engine could never look that good, a game built on walking around could never be that desolate and so on, etc etc, at least some of that survives in the final product. Of course it doesn't really make sense in the aggregate, the whole Shandification idea that everyone used to talk about, but so often when you're just in the thick of it you buy the illusion. While FO4 is a better game many mechanical ways, I never once bought the illusion there.

Mantis42 fucked around with this message at 15:33 on May 4, 2024

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

a real rude dude posted:

I could fill a book with toilet skeletons

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Fallout 4 really is just going on a bunch of carnival rides. I'm having fun wandering from one stupid situation to the next but none of it is memorable except for crossing/exploring the glowing sea which was actually cool and moody.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

JBP posted:

Fallout 4 really is just going on a bunch of carnival rides. I'm having fun wandering from one stupid situation to the next but none of it is memorable except for crossing/exploring the glowing sea which was actually cool and moody.

The actual carnival ride DLC, Nuka-World, is also great for this

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
I really like Nuka-World, it has some great environments. The plot is very Bethesda (not in a good way) but the atmosphere and music are great. The faction leaders are all unlikeable, aside from being morally bad people and interacting with them/doing missions for them is super tedious. Respectable for giving you a pretty reasonable "just kill everyone because they all suck" option. Artistically it looks great and I love it for that.

Far Harbor is great across the board, much better story and characters. The best part of Fallout 4 at the end of the day.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

a real rude dude posted:

i see your skeleton and raise you a classy radroach

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

StupidSexyMothman posted:

i see your skeleton and raise you a classy radroach

ROACHY!????

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
Okay, a couple days away was what I needed. Played a little more 76 last night and I'm back in.

Going to max out my Settler rep and see if I can adjust my stealthy melee into a more tanky build. If not, then I'll start over to work on Raider rep. I'm "only" level 112 so if I do some West Tek and Event grinding I can get most of the way back there over the weekend.

There's no way to transfer my lunchboxes to a new char without another person is there?

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
How in the heck to I upgrade the level of my backpack? Should I have found a plan? I don't see a way to craft a new one.

Also, I'm pleasantly surprised by the amount of qol mods available. One of the reasons I never played 76, aside from the obvious, was I assumed we couldn't mod. It's not as extensive as FO4 but there's some decent ones.

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

Kaddish posted:

How in the heck to I upgrade the level of my backpack? Should I have found a plan? I don't see a way to craft a new one.

Also, I'm pleasantly surprised by the amount of qol mods available. One of the reasons I never played 76, aside from the obvious, was I assumed we couldn't mod. It's not as extensive as FO4 but there's some decent ones.

tadpole quest, I forget where it starts but I believe it should be in your quest list. it sucks find some friends.

the fusion core people I can only recommend getting 700 atoms for the recharger and a list of power armor locations. every power armor has a fusion core. you can get two and some sugar bombs at the bridge if you're lucky but if you intend to use them regularly you need that charger it's hell otherwise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Kaddish posted:

There are some good videos on Youtube about it (MrWestTek, AngryTurtle, etc) but basically you need to do the pioneer scouts quests and get tadpole badges for the basic backpack. For some of the best backpack mods you need either gold bullion or possum badges which are a pain in the butt to get if you aren't patient (I got them from lazily doing the Stings and Things repeatable quests every once in a while).