Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope

leaptosleep posted:

But most washing machines and dryers are pretty simple and intuitive. Nowadays laundry isn't really much of a task.

You don't really know that until you try and even if you do it helps to have somebody there to say "Yes, it really is that simple. No, you aren't missing something." And even more helpful if that person doesn't get on your case for doing anything wrong at all, and doesn't just snatch the task away the moment they get a little bit frustrated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I think not being able to figure out how to do laundry does in fact make you an idiot

The real argument here is whether calling someone an idiot is too mean for the thread, there are a lot of idiots in here

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

hawowanlawow posted:

I think not being able to figure out how to do laundry does in fact make you an idiot

The real argument here is whether calling someone an idiot is too mean for the thread, there are a lot of idiots in here
He's not so much saying he can't figure out laundry as much as he's saying he refuses to learn anything without being shown it. Not just chores specifically, the OP says he objects to the concept of independent learning in its entirety. Which is infinitely worse.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Like, imagine the worst boss you've ever had, the ones that made actually accomplishing anything the most difficult thing in the world for no reason. Where the job is like one part actually doing the job to five parts getting lectured, yelled at, ignored and expected to hurry up and wait.

Oh so you know my dad

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
I love the housework posts because every time a bunch of goons come out of the woodwork to out themselves for thinking basic housekeeping is some kind of word of mouth knowledge that can only be passed from generation to generation

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice
Sorry, I can’t attend Garden Hoses 102 today, I gotta do some studying for my final exam in Getting The Mail.

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

Splicer posted:

He's not so much saying he can't figure out laundry as much as he's saying he refuses to learn anything without being shown it. Not just chores specifically, the OP says he objects to the concept of independent learning in its entirety. Which is infinitely worse.

Does he know how to jerk off? Did someone have to show him? :thunk:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
My [32F] husband [36M] found out that his ex wife [35F] DIDN’T cheat on him

quote:

My husband and I have been married for two years, together for four. He’s divorced and has (had?) an extremely hostile relationship with his ex. They don’t even speak. A nanny transports their son back and forth between them. They divorced because he had proof that she had cheated on him and she refused to admit it. He asked for a paternity test on their son and she filed for the divorce. The test was eventually done and his son was obviously proven to be his but the co-parenting relationship between them is damaged. They are (maybe were) very hostile to one another. I met my husband a couple of years after their breakup and learned all of this from him. His family also filled in the blanks and they refer to her as “That Whore” (not when his son is around of course). There is no love lost around either party and to my knowledge my husband and his ex didn’t even speak unless they had to. Everything was communicated through the nanny or by email.

A couple of months ago, my SIL and I were having a girls night and she got incredibly drunk. She stayed over at our place and as I was making sure that she was ok, she said that the family really loved me and she was happy because she liked hanging out with me so she wouldn’t have to get me out of the picture like That Whore. I wasn’t sure that I’d heard right so I asked what she meant. She said that she wasn’t good for him (my husband) and she had to work so hard to make him see. I was really scared/concerned at that point because I started adding up what she was saying but I couldn’t believer it. She passed out before I could ask more but the next day I clarified with her. Turns out she had lied to my husband about seeing his ex with some guy. She had concocted a whole story to ruin his marriage. She told me it didn’t matter now because I was with him and we were right for each other. I felt like my world had tilted. I sat my husband down and told him everything that she had told me. I’ve never seen my husband that livid. Obviously. His sister ruined his marriage because she hated his ex. His parents are upset and concerned and his sister is clearly a loving psycho because she isn’t even remorseful. She thinks that she did him a favor and it’s for the best. Needless to say we didn’t even celebrate Christmas with his family this year. We had his parents over but the big celebration was cancelled. No one is speaking with his sister.

The problem now is his ex. My husband loved his ex and when he thought that she had cheated it took a lot of therapy for him to get over what she had done to ruin them. It hurt him incredibly and now he has to grapple with the fact that his marriage was ruined because of a lie. He’s married to me, living in our home, sleeping next to me but the entire time he seems checked out. He’s been going to therapy as he works through this but I honestly don’t know what it means for our marriage. Recently he reached out to his ex and apologized for accusing her. She accepted his apology but I don’t think that she’s forgiven him because she’s been even more high conflict lately like she wants to punish him.

I feel like I’m waiting for the other shoe to drop, for him to realize that he doesn’t want to be with me and go back to his ex if she ever forgives him. I know that I did the right thing in telling my husband but it feels like I may have ruined my marriage in doing so. I don’t what to do. I’m so confused and scared. I just need some words of comfort or advice or something.

tl;dr: My husband got divorced because his sister lied to him about his ex-wife cheating. We’re dealing with the fallout. How to navigate?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

I love the housework posts because every time a bunch of goons come out of the woodwork to out themselves for thinking basic housekeeping is some kind of word of mouth knowledge that can only be passed from generation to generation

Of course it's simple, you should be able to figure this out, I don't need to teach you. Also I will spend hours screaming at you for doing it wrong, and won't coherently explain what you did wrong.

S40CheckingAccount
Jan 14, 2024
Some awfully notable walking back and worsening in the latter half of this one

quote:

AITA for no longer making 10 yo step daughter lunch but putting goldfish on a tray for 2 year old son

I have a 10 year old step daughter, 2 year old son, and an 11 week old son. I’ve been in my step daughters life since she was 2, and I make it a point to make sure she is included just as equally as my sons, as I didn’t have a very involved stepmother, and I never wanted to make her feel the way I have growing up. I make sure to have equal photos of each kid around the house, I have a spreadsheet to make sure each kid gets equal amount of money spent on them for each holiday or for college savings, I attend every one of her events and overall try to go above and beyond to make sure she feels included and just as important as her brothers. We were planning to pick up my step daughter tomorrow evening (Saturday). It was supposed to be our full weekend but her mother told us last night that she’s got a last minute dance event to attend on Saturday, so we said that’s fine and we’d get her just for Saturday night. My husband got a call from her mom tonight while he was out and she said SD doesn’t want to come because there’s no point. (This is the first time she’s ever refused to come over or wasn’t actually eager to come over.) Then she let him know that her feelings are hurt because I make a lunch for my 2 year old son, but I don’t make one for her. From my perspective, I’ve ALWAYS made her a lunch but within the last 6 months or so she’s started making her own here and there. If she ever asked me to make her one, though, I would always do it. Even though I knew she was more than capable, I still never wanted to turn her down so I would. A few months ago my husband heard her asking for a lunch made and he told her that she’s 10 now and more than capable to make it herself. Ever since then she hasn’t asked, and so I’ve never assumed it was an issue. Also, the lunch she is claiming I am “making” for my 2 year old son is literally some goldfish, fruit snacks, and milk. I’m really not “making” him a lunch at all. Her mom even admitted that she’s just being lazy, but my feelings are really hurt over this. Makes me feel like my effort is kind of for nothing. Is 10 still young enough that I should continue doing this for her? If so, what is an appropriate age to expect your kids to make their own sandwiches? Am I the rear end in a top hat?

ETA: I’m talking strictly lunch at home, not school lunches. I would absolutely pack her a school lunch if she was with us during the weekdays, but unfortunately we only have her on weekends.

TLTR: 10 year old step daughter told mom I leave her out because I put goldfish on a tray for my 2 year old for “lunch” and don’t make her one anymore now that she’s 10.

"I never told her she couldn't get lunch made, I just heard my husband telling her and assumed she didn't want it when she never asked again"

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Shanghaied posted:

Does he know how to jerk off? Did someone have to show him? :thunk:

What do you think the bonobo exhibit at the zoo is for???

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 27 days!
During my plumbing apprenticeship, I had to figure out a lot of things on my own, and that often involved just loving trying.

If you don't have the wherewithal to figure out a hose, you might be an imbecile. The dude's in college for Christ sake.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Of course it's simple, you should be able to figure this out, I don't need to teach you. Also I will spend hours screaming at you for doing it wrong, and won't coherently explain what you did wrong.

I suspect it’s been long enough for most goons since this actually happened that you can probably just get over it and wipe the counters after you finish loading the dishwasher

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Clearly lots of posts by goons who have never tried to face the labyrinthine intricacies of the puzzle box know as the modern hose.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

the trick is to screw the hose onto the spigot before you turn the water on

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Adding to laundry chat: I can do regular laundry just fine on the rags I wear as clothing, but if I had to wash some nice sweater or an old dress or something, I'd have no idea and be totally clueless.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Just read the instructions on the tag or google it

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

I suspect it’s been long enough for most goons since this actually happened that you can probably just get over it and wipe the counters after you finish loading the dishwasher
I know you're getting a kick out of feeling superior but "most goons", uh, have. People talking about bad past living situations are talking about past bad living situations, not how they act now that they have escaped them.

You're trying to kick people when they're down but they've already got up and walked away.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

hawowanlawow posted:

wow it’s just so easy for you isn’t it??? Not all of us are geniuses. But I bet you can’t get the mail like I can!

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Splicer posted:

You're trying to kick people when they're down but they've already got up and walked away.

I don’t know if we are reading the same thread but it doesn’t sound like they have

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

I don’t know if we are reading the same thread but it doesn’t sound like they have
I'm glad you have lived such a blessed life that you are unable to understand why someone might have overcome a bad situation but still think it worth mentioning when contextually relevant.

I mean that. I wish everyone had had your life. But growing up in a nice environment isn't an excuse to be a prick.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Barudak posted:

What do you think the bonobo exhibit at the zoo is for???

I tried that, but the bonobos weren't able to explain how it's better than Super Mario Bros.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
I'm trying to imagine how that dude won't end up homeless eventually if he's so against learning anything on his own.

Or dead from self-caused health issues because nobody told him you shouldn't eat that mushroom, or eat only chicken nuggets for every meal

"I'm against all forms of self-improvement. Other people need to slowly walk me through every improvement I can make in my life. I just won't remember if I try to improve on my own!" :lol:

Kenshin fucked around with this message at 15:28 on May 4, 2024

mystes
May 31, 2006

Kenshin posted:

I'm trying to imagine how that dude won't end up homeless eventually if he's so against learning anything on his own.

Or dead from self-caused health issues because nobody told him you shouldn't eat that mushroom, or eat only chicken nuggets for every meal

"I'm against all forms of self-improvement. Other people need to slowly walk me through every improvement I can make in my life. I just won't remember if I try to improve on my own!" :lol:
If he's really that unable to learn anything on his own it seems hard to believe that he made it to college without his mother noticing it.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Kenshin posted:

My brother is like this and I can tell you once they’re in their mid 30s and have gotten evicted yet again & keep getting fired from jobs it’s actually way less cute

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

leaptosleep posted:

But most washing machines and dryers are pretty simple and intuitive. Nowadays laundry isn't really much of a task.

This one's kind of funny, because I'm constantly befuddled whenever I do laundry while visiting my folks, their washer has fancy electronic keypad controls that take like ten steps to set up a load and were not created by someone concerned with intuitive design. Fortunately, my apartment has a cheaper lovely one that only requires you to turn the dial and press start, I can handle that.

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

My brother is like this and I can tell you once they’re in their mid 30s and have gotten evicted yet again & keep getting fired from jobs it’s actually way less cute

After that he can just move back home to mummy and be a full-time son to her. He will weaponise incompetence to avoid doing the most basic household tasks, and the home will fall into disrepair as the mother ages and her health fails. He will inherit the home once she dies, as no sibling will want anything to do with that hovel. He'll then live there on government assistance, until one day his own health fails and he dies.

This was basically the last thirty years of life for my uncle (my mother's younger brother).

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
people can post their first-hand accounts of abusive parents and lovely life situations and physical or mental health issues all day and other goons will always, always roll through afterwards and summarize those posts as "goons are lazy and incompetent"

InediblePenguin fucked around with this message at 16:11 on May 4, 2024

peachy...
Jan 15, 2020

~hey~
what the gently caress is laundry

mystes
May 31, 2006

peachy... posted:

what the gently caress is laundry
a miserable pile of dirty clothes

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice
(Looks at end of hose, then looks at spigot) I just, i don’t get it. Why are these infernal contraptions always so inscrutable?

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

mystes posted:

a miserable pile of dirty clothes

But enough talk, have at you! * throws cap full of laundry detergent at the floor *

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Maybe do the dishes in the shower, while clothed?

Ogma
Jun 6, 2003

Let the festivities commence!

Biplane posted:

Maybe do the dishes in the shower, while clothed?

This is why I bought an above ground pool. Clothes, dishes, children, dogs. Throw them all in the soapy pool.

This year we're thinking about getting a rinse pool.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

The part that has to be passed from generation to generation is how to do it without being screamed at for doing it wrong. I've personally been yelled at and had a wooden spoon snatched out of my hand for stirring tomato sauce wrong. Grow up in that kind of household and you get a very different attitude about chores than you apparently were.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Put everything in the bathtub and fill it with lye.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

hawowanlawow posted:

How will I know if the water's on then?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

*Takes the washboard down to the crick

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice
Look, maybe this guy has a point. I’ve watched plenty of youtube videos about car detailing and not a single one covers how to turn on, let alone turn OFF, the hose. I hate it when people just gatekeep knowledge like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

mllaneza posted:

The part that has to be passed from generation to generation is how to do it without being screamed at for doing it wrong. I've personally been yelled at and had a wooden spoon snatched out of my hand for stirring tomato sauce wrong. Grow up in that kind of household and you get a very different attitude about chores than you apparently were.

that's not in the story that was posted, people just jumped at the opportunity to talk about themselves and made it about that