Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

"First they came for my Steam account, but it wasn't linked to my Playstation account"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

based

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

very cool that 1/3 of the lifetime reviews of the game are in the last two days and they're all shitheads having a tantrum about nothing

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
This has become "a movement" to a lot of idiots and so facts or reasoning no longer matter. There is nothing arrowhead can do except weather it at this point.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

johnny park posted:

Wow it's almost like it took less than a day for the only major concern to be addressed and everyone freaking the gently caress out about the worst possible scenario were jumping the gun :thumbsup:

That's why I ignore 99% of internet discourse because it's a complete waste of time and energy.

Gonna go squash some bugs.

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

what could possibly go wrong?

i'm not being sarcastic i don't get it. what do you think is going to happen to your steam account

If your burner gets banned (wrong country, VPN, Sony doesn't like you), that burner is now tied to your Steam account. I don't think you can just make another one to try and connect again to the same Steam account, you're just boned.

Or am I compeletely misunderstanding this?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Jeff Fatwood posted:

If your burner gets banned (wrong country, VPN, Sony doesn't like you), that burner is now tied to your Steam account. I don't think you can just make another one to try and connect again to the same Steam account, you're just boned.

Or am I compeletely misunderstanding this?

nope. people in kazakhstan who bought ps5s were told to make sony accounts in russia and that didn't turn out very well

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

johnny park posted:

"Complaining" lol

Ah yes, since some individuals are foaming at the mouth, all the legitimate issues are just stupid as well.

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

Sagebrush posted:

very cool that 1/3 of the lifetime reviews of the game are in the last two days and they're all shitheads having a tantrum about nothing

I really don't get this attitude. Over a hundred countries were just about to get banned from playing a game they purchased based on a bullshit requirement that was never enforced but it's a tantrum about nothing.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Jeff Fatwood posted:

Ah yes, since some individuals are foaming at the mouth, all the legitimate issues are just stupid as well.

well yes, the devs have been visibly against this action from day 1 (i.e. loving 12 hours ago) and have pledged that people in countries without psn will not be removed from the game.

i don't know what legitimate issue is left to be mad at

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yeah but a lot of them aren’t those people but people who don’t want to make an account

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Yet another game proving the theory that the Venn Diagram of "Steam Reviewers" and "Angry Redditors" is a loving circle.

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

well yes, the devs have been visibly against this action from day 1 (i.e. loving 12 hours ago) and have pledged that people in countries without psn will not be removed from the game.

i don't know what legitimate issue is left to be mad at

I mean, they had pretty much no time nor preparation to actually address any of the bombshell that Sony dropped on them so they didn't do the best of jobs at it which did fuel the fire. The action against this from Arrowhead was absolutely not unanimous and this is also a reason why all of this has gone to just absolute poo poo. Sony hosed everyone hard.

And like you alluded, all of this happened has happened in a 24h period, not everyone is going to be on the same page, especially the one's who read a single sentence from a dubious source then go stark raving mad.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

this poo poo will probably be fixed before anyone will be locked out so lmao

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

The extra PSN account thing is lovely IMO, but how is it different in any way from having to make Ubisoft and Rockstar accounts to play games from those companies purchased through Steam? Assuming no one gets shut out of a game they bought, the main difference is the awkward handling of letting people play without doing it then enforcing it.

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013
This was all so incredibly avoidable but Sony ... so I guess it wasn't

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.

Jeff Fatwood posted:

I really don't get this attitude. Over a hundred countries were just about to get banned from playing a game they purchased based on a bullshit requirement that was never enforced but it's a tantrum about nothing.

Can you show me where anyone official said this?

boz
Oct 16, 2005

Infinitum posted:

"I can't believe I have to murder this puppy to register a Playstation account"

Only for South Dakota users.

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

Zwabu posted:

The extra PSN account thing is lovely IMO, but how is it different in any way from having to make Ubisoft and Rockstar accounts to play games from those companies purchased through Steam? Assuming no one gets shut out of a game they bought, the main difference is the awkward handling of letting people play without doing it then enforcing it.

It isn't and it's a 100% about the rug pull to get people on PSN that Sony is trying. It turns out when 10 million people love a game they bought, a contingent of them is going to be really loving angry when you surprise them with additional requirements that were supposedly always there (but which you could completely ignore and skip with zero consequences until this friday)

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Zwabu posted:

It's a mountain out of a mole hill for most people - just register a generic account with a unique password, ya sooks.

Regions not being able to register an account IS a legit issue for players in those countries; and they're right to be concerned about potentially losing access.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Jeff Fatwood posted:

Over a hundred countries were just about to get banned from playing a game they purchased based on a bullshit requirement

Were they? Were they??

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

johnny park posted:

Were they? Were they??

I hope :evilbuddy:

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

Hats Wouldnt Fly posted:

Can you show me where anyone official said this?

https://www.playstation.com/country-selector/index.html

Here's an official list of all the countries that you can make a PSN account in. All in all, 69 countries.

Steam has a per game region lock system which afaik Helldivers was not part in anyway. This is around 190 countries.

Sony's official stance on making a PSN account just yesterday was "Set your location to the nearest country that has PSN availability from your own" which could work but could get your account banned for any or no reason.

Jeff Fatwood fucked around with this message at 17:05 on May 4, 2024

A LOVELY LAD
Feb 8, 2006

Hey man, wanna hear a secret?

College Slice

⬇️ ⬆️ ⬅️ ⬇️ ⬆️ ➡️ ⬇️ ⬆️

"Calling in a review bomb"

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I hope arrowhead weaves this into the galactic war narrative and super earth command punishes helldivers for filing frivolous lawsuits alleging mistreatment of Helldivers

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Zwabu posted:

I'm guessing behind the scenes there were multiple conversations between Sony and Arrowhead about account linking and issues and such. Most were probably Arrowhead tech people telling Sony "Your auth servers are poo poo and we had to cut them out of our auth process so it didn't explode" followed by Sony going ":smugbert:"

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Jeff Fatwood posted:

The action against this from Arrowhead was absolutely not unanimous and this is also a reason why all of this has gone to just absolute poo poo. Sony hosed everyone hard.

wait what? who at arrowhead was positive on this change? which arrowhead dev endorsed and defended it? this is news!

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Imagine if you could harness Gamer Anger for literally any worthwhile cause.

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

wait what? who at arrowhead was positive on this change? which arrowhead dev endorsed and defended it? this is news!

One of the main community managers on Discord, Spitz was talking like it was no biggie until he was patiently (and not very patiently) explained to that it actually isn't 'no biggie'. And he is now being witchhunted because he wasn't well informed before the announcement.

Like the whole point of the community managers is to try and alleviate people's concerns and their info on this from Sony was that it's fine so they'll go and say that when it fact wasn't fine.

e. of course no one was actually probably thrilled on a personal level about this but most people aren't willing to go against their employer online in public so gamers happened

Jeff Fatwood fucked around with this message at 17:06 on May 4, 2024

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

The lady said it was good for banning and everyone went after her so she deleted her twitter account

Who knows.

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

CelticPredator posted:

The lady said it was good for banning and everyone went after her so she deleted her twitter account

Who knows.

This too.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Zwabu posted:

the difference is this is a game people actually want to play

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Jeff Fatwood posted:

One of the main community managers on Discord, Spitz was talking like it was no biggie until he was patiently (and not very patiently) explained to that it actually isn't 'no biggie'. And he is now being witchhunted because he wasn't well informed before the announcement.

The same Spitz who just confirmed that the dev response was universally negative and they won't be implementing anything that bans users from unsupported countries?

CelticPredator posted:

ah yes, the lady. the lady said it was good for banning. poor lady.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

everyone who harassed this lady should be fuckin beaten imo.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

ah yes, the lady. the lady said it was good for banning. poor lady.

got her doxxed even lol

Gamers.txt

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

CelticPredator posted:

everyone who harassed this lady should be fuckin beaten imo.

yeah, I've reported about a dozen posts about her on Reddit because the mob is just loving heinous right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slust
Oct 22, 2021
Im sure all the women and minorities must be enjoying the break in harassment from the angry gamers while this is going on