Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

I am never building in a Fractal Node 304 ever again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
That's why I saved myself all the grief and just got a Define 7 XL instead.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
Can someone tell me if my plan for a zfs expansion is completely insane?

Current setup:
12 18tb drives in a single raidz2 vdev attached to an LSI 9300-16i HBA

Proposed changes:
Add Dell SC200 disk shelf with 12x 16tb drives connected to an LSI 9200-8e
Add 4 new sata drives inside the main enclosure, attached to the existing 9300 card, maxing it out
Take all 16 16tb drives and create a new raidz3 vdev
Add the new vdev to the same zpool as the previous vdev.

My main concern is that I’d be introducing a lot of points of failure. If more than 3 drives fail in the new array, if either HBA fails, if the disk shelf fails, if a cable fails, the whole thing collapses. The benefit is that it allows me to maintain simplicity and file and directory structure, which is good as I have some folks who automatically backup my collection periodically.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Hey guys, I just got an ASUS TUF A15. SSDs are a pretty big blindspot for me, and find myself getting quite lost reading about the exact specifications, and what I need. It has two slots and comes with a 500 GB SSD preinstalled, I think this one looks good and should fit the requirements, but I’m really not sure. Would really appreciate someone letting me know if this has any glaring problems or anything, it is also at the upper limit of my budget;

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Crucial-In...ps%2C133&sr=8-5

Cheers in advance, this sub forum has generally been incredibly helpful

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Calico Heart posted:

Hey guys, I just got an ASUS TUF A15. SSDs are a pretty big blindspot for me, and find myself getting quite lost reading about the exact specifications, and what I need. It has two slots and comes with a 500 GB SSD preinstalled, I think this one looks good and should fit the requirements, but I’m really not sure. Would really appreciate someone letting me know if this has any glaring problems or anything, it is also at the upper limit of my budget;

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Crucial-In...ps%2C133&sr=8-5

Cheers in advance, this sub forum has generally been incredibly helpful
The SSD thread is what I suspect you were looking for.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Sorry, thanks!

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Combat Pretzel posted:

That's why I saved myself all the grief and just got a Define 7 XL instead.

The moment I ever have to do maintenance on this thing I'll probably do similar, going small like this was a mistake.

I've never been happier seeing all four drives spin, the motherboard wasn't detecting one of them so I had to tear the whole thing apart once to debug why (SATA cable wasn't completely connected to the motherboard).

Now to slap an OS on this thing and see what happens.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Building is a pain in an mITX case, but unless you are constantly in there, its a one time cost that pays dividends forever if you are space conscious. My Meshlicious NAS/Plex/seedbox doubles as an emulation station and is small enough to stay in the living room.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

:toot:

I already love I can do admin stuff on this through a web interface. System is barely audible even under load, currently pulling ~85 W at idle.

MadFriarAvelyn fucked around with this message at 20:05 on May 4, 2024

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Talorat posted:

If more than 3 drives fail in the new array

Talorat posted:

if either HBA fails, if the disk shelf fails, if a cable fails

These are two very different failure modes. Total and unrecoverable loss of three drives in the original vdev or four in the new vdev will cause you to lose the whole array, yes.

As long as the HBA/shelf/cable don't fail in a way that results in writing a huge amount of garbage to the disks, the most you'll experience is downtime until you resolve the issue, plus possibly a small amount of data corruption. Remember that ZFS was originally built for enterprise systems with multiple disk shelves attached to a controller; they had to expect that at some point an entire shelf of disks would disappear for any reason.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
And spreading a vdev across 2 HBAs, one internal one external shouldn’t really be an issue?

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Talorat posted:

And spreading a vdev across 2 HBAs, one internal one external shouldn’t really be an issue?

So long as the connections are reliable, no. Be aware that new writes will probably be concentrated in the new vdev for a while.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.
I like the Node 304… but the spot I put my NAS would only fit something of those dimensions.

Totally agree it’s a PITA to work on. I’ve got a half done job of adding the final 4 (of 10 total) drives because some cabling poo poo isn’t working as expected.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

IOwnCalculus posted:

These are two very different failure modes. Total and unrecoverable loss of three drives in the original vdev or four in the new vdev will cause you to lose the whole array, yes.

As long as the HBA/shelf/cable don't fail in a way that results in writing a huge amount of garbage to the disks, the most you'll experience is downtime until you resolve the issue, plus possibly a small amount of data corruption. Remember that ZFS was originally built for enterprise systems with multiple disk shelves attached to a controller; they had to expect that at some point an entire shelf of disks would disappear for any reason.
To go into detail for anyone interested, who's never had to do it: it's sometimes possible to use zpool import -F and follow it up with zpool clear as well as a full scrub.
It should, of course, never be run without using the -n flag first, because it's one of those destructive administrative tasks that not even zpool checkpoint can save against (despite being made to guard against destructive administrative tasks), and may also require the use of the -X flag.

Basically, it's the thing you try right before you start restoring from the backups that you've hopefully automated.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Oh this is gonna be a rabbit hole to go down. Created a SMB share on the new NAS, dumping my previous storage drive onto it and I'm pretty sure my switches/router are bottlenecking the transfer. 5 TB of data estimated to take 22 hours. :stare:

I hope the ethernet cables in the walls of this apartment aren't gonna bottleneck things further or I'm gonna need to rework my entire network to better support things.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

That's a solid 600mbit/s though? :v:

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Best case for 1Gbe is 125MB/s, which would be close to 12 hours (2.5GbE would get that down to under 5). Use iperf3 to get a measure of just network transfer speed without potential disk limits at either end.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Pablo Bluth posted:

Best case for 1Gbe is 125MB/s, which would be close to 12 hours (2.5GbE would get that down to under 5). Use iperf3 to get a measure of just network transfer speed without potential disk limits at either end.
Best case for 1Gbps is 116MBps without jumboframes because of 8/10b line coding, Ethernet frames, IP header, TCP segments.
Jumboframes can help a bit, but needs some amount of hardware support.

EDIT: This also assumes a high goodput ratio.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 00:18 on May 5, 2024

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Super annoying: It looks like the $900 Tri-mode adapter I was (ab)using to connect two SAS HDDs suddenly died. It's a Megaraid 9560-16i, and I had it in a desktop tower with a 120mm case fan blowing straight up into the heatsink from a few cm away. Apparently not good enough; any machine I put it in hangs halfway through the early BIOS stages.

And of course, it's not entirely mine - I used it at work, but it was strictly speaking bought by another group who, in the end, didn't need it. I ended up with it since I was the only one involved who showed any interest, but I can't really bother them too much about trying to get it swapped under warranty.

(This is not a question, I'm just complaining.)

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
Hello guys, not sure if this is the correct thread but my server running arch linux is spitting this poo poo in a loop:

quote:

[1718552.432845] EXT4-fs error (device dm-0): __ext4_get_inode_loc_noinmem:4682: inode #142082275: block 568328238: comm nzbget: unable to read itable block
[1718555.297193] ata3.00: exception Emask 0x0 SAct 0x80000010 SErr 0x0 action 0x0
[1718555.297199] ata3.00: irq_stat 0x40000008
[1718555.297201] ata3.00: failed command: READ FPDMA QUEUED
[1718555.297202] ata3.00: cmd 60/08:f8:00:b2:1f/00:00:26:00:00/40 tag 31 ncq dma 4096 in
res 41/40:00:00:b2:1f/00:00:26:00:00/40 Emask 0x409 (media error) <F>
[1718555.297206] ata3.00: status: { DRDY ERR }
[1718555.297207] ata3.00: error: { UNC }
[1718555.298629] ata3.00: configured for UDMA/133
[1718555.298655] sd 2:0:0:0: [sdc] tag#31 FAILED Result: hostbyte=DID_OK driverbyte=DRIVER_OK cmd_age=5s
[1718555.298659] sd 2:0:0:0: [sdc] tag#31 Sense Key : Medium Error [current]
[1718555.298660] sd 2:0:0:0: [sdc] tag#31 Add. Sense: Unrecovered read error - auto reallocate failed
[1718555.298662] sd 2:0:0:0: [sdc] tag#31 CDB: Read(10) 28 00 26 1f b2 00 00 00 08 00

Raw Read Error rate not being at 0 is probably bad I assume?

quote:

SMART Attributes Data Structure revision number: 16
Vendor Specific SMART Attributes with Thresholds:
ID# ATTRIBUTE_NAME FLAG VALUE WORST THRESH TYPE UPDATED WHEN_FAILED RAW_VALUE
1 Raw_Read_Error_Rate 0x002f 198 198 051 Pre-fail Always - 133242
3 Spin_Up_Time 0x0027 179 177 021 Pre-fail Always - 4016
4 Start_Stop_Count 0x0032 094 094 000 Old_age Always - 6507
5 Reallocated_Sector_Ct 0x0033 200 200 140 Pre-fail Always - 0
7 Seek_Error_Rate 0x002e 200 200 000 Old_age Always - 0
9 Power_On_Hours 0x0032 001 001 000 Old_age Always - 100035
10 Spin_Retry_Count 0x0032 100 100 000 Old_age Always - 0
11 Calibration_Retry_Count 0x0032 100 253 000 Old_age Always - 0
12 Power_Cycle_Count 0x0032 100 100 000 Old_age Always - 47
192 Power-Off_Retract_Count 0x0032 200 200 000 Old_age Always - 35
193 Load_Cycle_Count 0x0032 198 198 000 Old_age Always - 6471
194 Temperature_Celsius 0x0022 112 106 000 Old_age Always - 35
196 Reallocated_Event_Count 0x0032 200 200 000 Old_age Always - 0
197 Current_Pending_Sector 0x0032 200 200 000 Old_age Always - 25
198 Offline_Uncorrectable 0x0030 100 253 000 Old_age Offline - 0
199 UDMA_CRC_Error_Count 0x0032 200 200 000 Old_age Always - 0
200 Multi_Zone_Error_Rate 0x0008 100 253 000 Old_age Offline - 0

Is my HDD dieing? Or can I do something to fix this poo poo.

Nulldevice
Jun 17, 2006
Toilet Rascal
Your drive has bad sectors and needs to be replaced.

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

right clicking is stealing
Complete computer building newbie here. Looking for a jellyfin server that can do some light business database stuff on the side. I'm considering the following build, along with 4 refurbished 8TB HDD's in a RAID 5.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-12600K 3.7 GHz 10-Core Processor ($149.00 @ Newegg)

CPU Cooler: Thermalright Assassin X 120 Refined SE 66.17 CFM CPU Cooler ($17.89 @ Amazon)

Motherboard: ASRock Z690 Pro RS ATX LGA1700 Motherboard ($119.99 @ Amazon)

Memory: Silicon Power XPOWER Turbine 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($53.97 @ Amazon)

Storage: Kingston NV2 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($60.99 @ Amazon)

Case: Cooler Master N400 ATX Mid Tower Case ($74.99 @ B&H)

Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS GX 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($69.99 @ Newegg)

Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD/CD Writer ($21.99 @ ASUS)

Total: $568.81

Am I overlooking anything or should this work out pretty good?

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
DVD Burner?

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
synology come out with a new 6-8 drive NAS with 2.5gb ethernet already

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

LRADIKAL posted:

DVD Burner?

Yeah, my wife has a big DVD collection. I want to use this machine to get the ISO off the disks so she can watch them with the menus and special features.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
are we allowed to suggest people throw away all their DVDs since it’s 2024 and just pull the hi def version off usenet via radarr/sonarr?

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

acidx posted:

Yeah, my wife has a big DVD collection. I want to use this machine to get the ISO off the disks so she can watch them with the menus and special features.

I was about to suggest a Bluray burner since you're there, but then I looked and they're $100 and sometimes more. Ugh, wtf is with those prices.

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

Volguus posted:

I was about to suggest a Bluray burner since you're there, but then I looked and they're $100 and sometimes more. Ugh, wtf is with those prices.

They probably hold value as antique collectibles at this point.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Volguus posted:

That's the price for the externals. LG WH16NS40 (16x BD-R, supports BDXL discs) is on Newegg and Amazon for $68.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Nulldevice posted:

Your drive has bad sectors and needs to be replaced.

This, but also, 100k power on hours? Give that thing a burial with honors.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I’m eyeballing the new Ryzen pros (probably the 8600g) for a nas build. Integrated graphics and ecc support! Haven’t seen them on store pages yet.

Now to find a store selling super micro or asrock rack that won’t chisel me on shipping..

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

priznat posted:

I’m eyeballing the new Ryzen pros (probably the 8600g) for a nas build. Integrated graphics and ecc support! Haven’t seen them on store pages yet.

Now to find a store selling super micro or asrock rack that won’t chisel me on shipping..
Where are you finding those (the ryzen pro APUs) being sold? ShopBLT doesn't seem to have the Zen 4 ones last I checked yesterday.

Anime Schoolgirl fucked around with this message at 09:09 on May 7, 2024

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

They're available and in stock on most of the major Australian sites at least.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Where are you finding those (the ryzen pro APUs) being sold? ShopBLT doesn't seem to have the Zen 4 ones last I checked yesterday.

No I haven’t seen them yet I meant, at least not in the .ca pc part sites I check.

I don’t even think pc reviewers have gotten ahold of them yet.

https://www.amd.com/en/products/apu/amd-ryzen-5-pro-8600g

Hmm it says “consumer use: no” so idk if that means they won’t have them up for sale in retail boxes.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
After dealing with a clusterfuck of a drive swap (one disk failing smart and doing a replacement, then two more disks in the second z1 pool giving read errors and being faulted during the resilver) i'm left with a list of about 1400-1500 file errors from status -v.

Spot checking through, nothing seems to be amiss. They're pretty much all replaceable media files, but they all play back, are viewable without noticeable glitches, and whatnot. Is this a case of "replace the file later if errors are found" and otherwise carry on as usual? Nothing in this pool is any sort of irreplaceable, anything on it that's valuable exists in at least 2 other places between the cloud and physical media backups.

I'm currently mid-replacement on one of the two read-error-faulted disks, which are currently working without issue after a reboot and reseating all the drive cables, but it's made me finally decide to replace my 3 remaining disks with about 85k hours each on them. Worst part is the disk that initially kicked off the whole issue only has about 34k hours and was one of the newest in the pool, and never gave any issues day to day other than immediately failing an extended smart test that ran last week.

If anything, this is reinforcing my appreciation of ZFS and how fault-tolerant it is, even in the face of my own abject idiocy.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

PitViper posted:

After dealing with a clusterfuck of a drive swap (one disk failing smart and doing a replacement, then two more disks in the second z1 pool giving read errors and being faulted during the resilver) i'm left with a list of about 1400-1500 file errors from status -v.

Spot checking through, nothing seems to be amiss. They're pretty much all replaceable media files, but they all play back, are viewable without noticeable glitches, and whatnot. Is this a case of "replace the file later if errors are found" and otherwise carry on as usual? Nothing in this pool is any sort of irreplaceable, anything on it that's valuable exists in at least 2 other places between the cloud and physical media backups.

I'm currently mid-replacement on one of the two read-error-faulted disks, which are currently working without issue after a reboot and reseating all the drive cables, but it's made me finally decide to replace my 3 remaining disks with about 85k hours each on them. Worst part is the disk that initially kicked off the whole issue only has about 34k hours and was one of the newest in the pool, and never gave any issues day to day other than immediately failing an extended smart test that ran last week.

If anything, this is reinforcing my appreciation of ZFS and how fault-tolerant it is, even in the face of my own abject idiocy.

What kind of errors are they, read or cksum?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

PitViper posted:

Right? A regular RAID would've gone completely unrecoverable very early on in the process, here you're dealing with bitrot that's probably nigh-undetectable because it's such a small amount of data in a video file.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

PitViper posted:

When you've been informed that the files have checksum errors, that's because there's data corruption. Without watching all the way through the 1400+ videos it's hard to say how exactly this has affected you.

If it's all replaceable then I would start the process, sucks having your movie night grind to a halt because of broken files.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

PitViper posted:

If they're video files, the saving grace is that a video is a bitstream where 1 frame out of ~24/30/60fps will be (partially) corrupt - or if you're really unlucky, it'll be up until the next keyframe (a maximum of a few seconds of video).
Similarly, textfiles aren't really susceptible to a bitflip, because you can open the file, and probably figure out which value was switched (especially if it's a config file that has a linter/checker).
The worst files to have bitflips happen to is anything that's in a binary format, without any kind of built-in error checking - things like the Windows Registry, logs from systemd, save files for most video games, programs and libraries, and stuff like that.

OpenZFS 2.2 has also implemented corrective receive whereby, if you have a snapshot lying about that contains a good copy of the data that's been flipped, you can use zfs recv to fix it.
There's also an issue open to try and fix if you've only got very very big snapshots, but there's no implementation for that yet.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Right? A regular RAID would've gone completely unrecoverable very early on in the process, here you're dealing with bitrot that's probably nigh-undetectable because it's such a small amount of data in a video file.
The ability of ZFS to know not that something's broken, but what, is kinda magic the first time you get to experience it in action instead of losing your entire array.
It's still not backup, though. :science:

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 00:04 on May 8, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!

Zorak of Michigan posted:

What kind of errors are they, read or cksum?

Read errors, nothing in the cksum column. Surprisingly, swapping cables on the two disks in question seems to have "resolved" the issue, in that I'm 60% of the way through replacing one of those two disks with not a single error reported. Still replacing them regardless.

And I'll probably just restore the affected video files from "backup", and a good portion of the other errors are in things like subtitle files that would get restored at the same time. Might just cost me a month or two of paying Comcast for unlimited data, or letting the queue work through itself over a couple months.