Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Here we go again :ohdear:

We'll see how this goes, I did an immediate replay through half or two-thirds of the game, but a lot of that was powering through much more efficiently after my first time through. It's been long enough now that I'll hopefully have forgotten a lot of the details, and go for a more relaxed pace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I don't remember from last time I beat it: is there any gameplay reason to do the finale first then reload the game for dicking around, like a reward or fast-travel point or something, rather than just arsing about and doing the finale Later(tm)?

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

You can more easily track completion through map % and the game telling you the total amount of unfinished sidequests and so forth.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Were the "search for recipe"/"grab all ingredients" cooking material menu options there from the start, or were they patched in at some point? I don't remember them at all, but I very well could've just ignored them hard enough that they dropped right out of my memory.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Captain Hygiene posted:

Were the "search for recipe"/"grab all ingredients" cooking material menu options there from the start, or were they patched in at some point? I don't remember them at all, but I very well could've just ignored them hard enough that they dropped right out of my memory.

I recall them being in there from the start. But in fairness, I only found them when I navigated into the recipe book. They should've made that thing more accessible. They also should've allowed players to queue dishes, or cook multiples at once. I'd sit through the animation 5 times if it meant I didn't have to go select the same ingredients 5 times. Hell, just a prompt like "press X to cook another" or something would've been fine.

the numa numa song
Oct 3, 2006

Even though
I'm better than you
I am not
It ain't a flagship Nintendo game without some obtuse UX.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Yeah, that makes sense. I wasn't sure if it was just me being forgetful or if they did like in Animal Crossing and added in some obvious QOL upgrades eventually.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Me, seeing how far away the Temple of Time is and thinking I'll save myself some time getting over to it:

Cut to:
https://i.imgur.com/p6qcSB3.mp4

I'll never get tired of this game wrecking all my best-laid plans :allears:

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Lmao

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Captain Hygiene posted:

Me, seeing how far away the Temple of Time is and thinking I'll save myself some time getting over to it:

Cut to:
https://i.imgur.com/p6qcSB3.mp4

I'll never get tired of this game wrecking all my best-laid plans :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uX58B4Mez3I

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Lol

I guess it wouldn't really change much, but I do wish the alert that your aircraft was about to disintegrate was a bit more obvious. I usually catch it, but I occasionally miss it when I'm all tunnel visioned focusing on in something else.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Trying to find that lost god drat shrine. I have all 32 sky islands and I've found every lightroot and I still can't pinpoint it. They say the shrine icons are a different color if you haven't completed it, but nothing. This is going to drive me crazy.

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:

Mulaney Power Move posted:

Trying to find that lost god drat shrine. I have all 32 sky islands and I've found every lightroot and I still can't pinpoint it. They say the shrine icons are a different color if you haven't completed it, but nothing. This is going to drive me crazy.

Post some screenshots of your maps here? We can help or atleast pretend

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
Wait, there are 32 shrines in the Sky Islands? :suicide:

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
The sky islands give me the wind waker vibe of saying look at all this space to travel and the space is just an open nothingness.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I had to spend like 10 minutes flipping between the overworld and depths maps to spot the last drat shrine. Hard to offer any concrete advice since it could be literally any of them.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

I wonder if we're gonna get DLC for the ultradepths that mirror the sky islands

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
I don't think they need anything else in the overworld. Just come up with a few quests that utilize the already uniquely crafted and memorable landscape. Bridges, castles, large settlement ruins,etc. Like even just something like a quest that brings a malon looking person to the ranch ruins and you get dialogue about its history then becomes a cheap place to get all farm food and recipes. Doesn't have to be a good reward, just a memorable experience. Ultimately turning off the depawn timers for your creations would be ideal

Like getting infinite wings without having to ride without the super strict sequence of events you need to do to glitch tr game into giving you one

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Docjowles posted:

I had to spend like 10 minutes flipping between the overworld and depths maps to spot the last drat shrine. Hard to offer any concrete advice since it could be literally any of them.

It was the friggin shrine right next to Lurelin village. I had to put my eyeballs like right up to the screen to tell that it was yellow in the middle. It was hard to tell because there's other yellow icons on the map next to it.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Also I can see why I didn't complete it. I just died with full hearts on this stupid shrine. It's the one where you have flowing moats with platforms and constructs on the platforms and on islands in the middle shooting shock arrows at your naked body. I think I found this early in the game and said gently caress this,

Mulaney Power Move fucked around with this message at 16:32 on May 4, 2024

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Also I can see why I didn't complete it. I just died with full hearts on this stupid shrine. It's the one where you have flowing moats with platforms and constructs on the platforms and on islands in the middle shooting shock arrows at your naked body. I think I found this early in the game and said gently caress this,

protip for that shrine: The boats are able to be ultrahanded. IIRC all I did was ultrahand the boats into the water enough to drown the constructs, then went swimming for all the bows, arrows, and shockfruit they dropped. It was a bit slow, but also pretty fun.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Houle posted:

The sky islands give me the wind waker vibe of saying look at all this space to travel and the space is just an open nothingness.

The depths are worse for this. You can see where all the sky island clusters are by filling the surface map. And you know that each cluster has at least one noteworthy thing. The depths are such a boring slog that I ended up taking the advice from this thread (I think?) and using a hoverbike to float from lightroot to lightroot just to "clear" the whole thing.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

yeah i'm still trying to avoid hoverbiking the surface and most of the sky* but as far as the depths go i'm pretty quick to go Oh gently caress This and hoverbike it. it's a shame really

* some of those islands are so gd high or far-flung I just gave up building anything else lol

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

speaking of hoverbike, a small thing that has been bugging me for a bit: is there a way to build one without a stake that I then have to take off when I autobuild a new bike? only way i can think of is taking off the stake then attaching something else to the bike to get it in the autobuild history, but attaching something else goes against the point of not wanting the stake in the first place; and detaching/re-attaching a fan without the stake is fiddly as hell because of the angles

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Just build one from scratch without using a stake

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I tried that too but could never get a stable result :(

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Try again and put more attention into the angles of the components

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Every hoverbike I build seems to be slightly off balance. Don't care.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I did it again, I ran into two archery combat training shrines in a row a ways into the game. One on a random sky island, and the next while I was running around tracking down a memory. All of this right after beating the Sky Temple, of course. It just seems silly how the training shrines are so randomly placed, so you're all but guaranteed to have done what they're teaching you a million times already. I just want there to be an "oh, you just beat a boss centered around this very mechanic twenty minutes ago? pass on through" option.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Spanish Manlove posted:

Try again and put more attention into the angles of the components

Build it upsidedown

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

There was a good short youtube hoverbike tutorial posted in here way back when that I ultimately followed, it took a couple tries but I finally made a balanced one. I haven't been able to dig it up with search, though.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Ciaphas posted:

yeah i'm still trying to avoid hoverbiking the surface and most of the sky* but as far as the depths go i'm pretty quick to go Oh gently caress This and hoverbike it. it's a shame really

* some of those islands are so gd high or far-flung I just gave up building anything else lol

Frankly I have no idea how you are supposed to get to the highest island in the sky (above the home base fort near the castle) with anything but a flying machine. I guess by balloon but even that seems like a pain. Once I got up there I put the travel medallion on it to get back to it (it makes a fun jumping off point)

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Honestly, it did take me a few tries to get a hoverbike that flew straight and sometimes, depending on the terrain it launches from, it'll still drift

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I wish they added a QR code setup for sharing creations like they have for Animal Crossing, that'd make getting stuff like a functional hoverbike easier. Not to mention giant mechs and stuff I'll never build myself. I guess Nintendo probably feels like that'd go against things like :airquote:creativity:airquote: and :airquote:imagination:airquote:

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

I wonder if we're gonna get DLC for the ultradepths that mirror the sky islands

theyre not making any dlc

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

why didn't zelda ever use the camera while in the past

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Why didn't she just have Rauru murder Ganondorf before he stole a Sage's stone and became unbeatable? There's really no excuse. Era after era of suffering because she was like "Huh, this Ganondorf guy seems suspicious." "Yes, Princess, I sense treachery as well. But, I'm not going to do anything about it for a while."

Mulaney Power Move fucked around with this message at 03:24 on May 5, 2024

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

And did she really need to swallow the dragon pill right away? She could have spent years researching alternatives. What about the Tri Force?! Whatever happened to that?

Ravenson
Feb 23, 2024

Likes writing desks but isn't like one.

Ciaphas posted:

why didn't zelda ever use the camera while in the past

Also, why is she shown taking four photos in the prologue if there's only three when you finally get the Purah Pad?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023

Ravenson posted:

Also, why is she shown taking four photos in the prologue if there's only three when you finally get the Purah Pad?

Purah’s aggressively anti consumer DRM. 10k years without pinging the server means you’re lucky that it doesn’t just explode on receipt.