Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:

Tea Party Crasher posted:

Did something change about space Joker? I picked it up on a lark ante one, and without a oops all sixes I was able to get my high card to like a level 16 with it alone. If I hadn't gotten the eye as a boss ante seven I probably could have won

I had an early desperation Space Joker that failed to trigger for the entirety of the first two Antes, so still working as intended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Nemo2342 posted:

In the end I spent hours and hours spread across 5 days working on Golden Needle before I could clear it, but Jokerless was done in just a couple of attempts. Some of that is certainly due to luck, but it's difficult for me to consider Jokerless to be all that hard compared to anything else in Balatro.

I’ll say I probably had more failed attempts at black deck gold stake than either Golden Needle or Jokerless, but I’d rather do it again than either of those two.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures
Gotta say, it's real satisfying to start Verdant Leaf, hover over your most expendable joker, then play a single debuffed card and clear it instead.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Beat a run in 12 rounds or fewer complete!

Used Throwback, of course, Bull, Bootstraps, Polychrome Odd Todd and Smeared. Smeared was for combo'ing with Gluttonous (or was it Wrathful? :v:) but Bootstraps gave +25 by the time I rolled it so I swapped it out. Held onto Smeared anyway cause my flush was level eight or nine by then anyway. Had to sell Odd Todd for final blind but whatever.

At a glance Merry Andy's ability looks pretty trash but I'm happy anyway :)

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Perry Mason Jar posted:

+3 discards is nothing to sneeze at. In green deck that's basically an economy joker.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Oh wow you can just drag the corners of the game window to resize it! Any resolution scales just fine. That's rad.

Maybe I'm silly but I didn't notice and think this is very cool. My left monitor is just always the dope bg now like a light show.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Do some achievements not pop when you are in a challenge mode game? I got the 5 vouchers before the end of Ante 4 and it didn't go off.

Gaffle
Aug 23, 2013

sWAg

Yeah challenges dont let you unlock anything. Gotta do it in the normal game

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

FlamingLiberal posted:

Do some achievements not pop when you are in a challenge mode game? I got the 5 vouchers before the end of Ante 4 and it didn't go off.

:eng99:

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Welcome to the family, Stuntman. Unlocked him on a purple stake ghost deck. Had a great combo with Blueprinted Certificate feeding me cards every round and then moving the blueprint to Hologram when it was scoring time. Ended up scaling to 10x mult by the end of it, getting another guaranteed 0.5x mult added each round.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Gonna need the goon approved 100mil chip strats.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Gaffle posted:

Yeah challenges dont let you unlock anything. Gotta do it in the normal game

this includes seeing jokers for the first time, btw. It will still say undiscovered in a regular run.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Gonna need the goon approved 100mil chip strats.

This'll happen when you get your first Baron/Mime run with Red Sealed Steel Kings, maybe a Blueprint for good measure.

But basically it's all about retriggering multiple xMults somehow, you could potentially do it with a handful of glass face cards with a Sock and Buskin, maybe a Blueprint for good measure.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I just have no idea how you're supposed to do that when the game is so reliant on RNG

Orio
May 16, 2022
If you make a lot of gold, you can reroll a bunch of times to get the things you want. This effectively lowers the impact of RNG in your Balatro-game.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
Make a lot of money! The more money you have, the more jokers you can see in a run (by re-rolling). White stake's blinds are low enough that you can be very greedy and aim for the minimum amount of jokers needed to clear each blind, and use the rest of the slots on jokers that can generate money. Egg and Gift Card are particularly valuable because they can both be used to increase Temperance's payout to $50. Gold and lucky cards as another source of money, if your joker setup can reach the blind requirements without enhancements that means you can make those aggressively. (This means that tarot generating jokers and purple seals are a potential source of income as well.)

With that in mind, the Abandoned deck is a good deck candidate because the smaller deck size means it's easier to make straights consistently, and buying Saturns will give you big base scores, reducing the amount of scoring jokers you need. If you get lucky with early tarot cards you can also pivot to 5 of a kind or Flush Five, which are also hands with good base scores. The small deck size also means that if you get any purple seals, you can find them more reliably, either for Death duplication or just discarding them more frequently.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

:hai: Ty homies

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Perry Mason Jar posted:

He's one of the worst jokers in the game but still, that's a tough unlock down!

Along with the green deck suggestion, if you're going for a golden sticker I think the best potential use case is him + Banner as a sad two joker Stuntman with 60% of the chips and 50% of the downside.

My run with him he wasn't completely useless because I got a holographic one and flat mult was really weak (just a Half Joker + that) but my xMult was great (Vampire, Hologram, Steel Joker)

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Orange stake finally down, thanks to the double Stencils. One being negative increased both by 1x as well, that was nice.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Gah, I'm terrible at Nebula deck so was beating my head against the wall with it for a few hours, but that's Black Stakes done on that. Any advice for future runs with it? I feel like you're basically praying for an Observatory/Crystal Ball voucher to justify the fact that your starting bonus was used up on the Telescope.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
100 mil down. Used mainly Constellation, that joker that makes planet cards/packs free, Brainstorm copying Constellation (which was over 10x by the end), a bunch of tagged negatives jokers from Anaglyph deck, and baseball joker. Spade flush deck, just had to make a few glass cards in the end to get over the hump. Could not get into the e levels though, so I got stopped by Ante 13.

Still, Stuntman unlocked :woop:

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 22:59 on May 4, 2024

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Tips for Black Deck? I hate this thing

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Holding the R button quick restarts the run

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Also proficient with kites

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I just have no idea how you're supposed to do that when the game is so reliant on RNG

People telling you to gun for baron/mime shenanigans aren't wrong in that it'll certainly blow the 100 mil barrier but it is overstating the requirements. The strongest strats in the game can score you those insanely high e-point hands but you don't "need" them for 100 mil hands. I unlocked stuntman by accident on my first ghost deck run with a polychrome walkie/talkie I was still using late ante, just playing well leveled flush 5 fours with several flat-x mult jokers. It's a number you can pretty easily get to with any of the scaling x-mult jokers like constellation, steel, lucky cat, etc, don't feel pigeonholed into going for the most optimal of stuff cause 100 mil or even 1 bil is totally achievable with just a well constructed deck with planet scaling and such.

The game slams you in the face with scaling that needs retriggering mult options around ante 12/13 but it's entirely reasonable to hit that wall without a "meta" build and unlock stuntman in the process.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

PostNouveau posted:

Holding the R button quick restarts the run

Ah, thank you

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

PoundSand posted:

People telling you to gun for baron/mime shenanigans aren't wrong in that it'll certainly blow the 100 mil barrier but it is overstating the requirements. The strongest strats in the game can score you those insanely high e-point hands but you don't "need" them for 100 mil hands. I unlocked stuntman by accident on my first ghost deck run with a polychrome walkie/talkie I was still using late ante, just playing well leveled flush 5 fours with several flat-x mult jokers. It's a number you can pretty easily get to with any of the scaling x-mult jokers like constellation, steel, lucky cat, etc, don't feel pigeonholed into going for the most optimal of stuff cause 100 mil or even 1 bil is totally achievable with just a well constructed deck with planet scaling and such.

The game slams you in the face with scaling that needs retriggering mult options around ante 12/13 but it's entirely reasonable to hit that wall without a "meta" build and unlock stuntman in the process.

Agreed, you can get into 100 mil range as long as you can get retriggers. Last night I got a run into e17 range with Hanging Chad, Photograph, Blueprint, Sock and Buskin and Triboluet as my main build.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Perry Mason Jar posted:

For gold stake I'd reset until I got a holographic tag, that can carry you early game so you don't stall out before you get going. Otherwise, it kinda just sucks.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

:allears:

I spent way too much time today (read: several hours) trying to break through Black Stakes on the Nebula Deck, so it was such a joy to get to bring out this nonsense on my Magic Deck run. The Stone Joker was a late addition, subbing out for several different multiplier cards, but with a +900 chips bonus, it handily crushed them all in efficacy. The absolutely useless negative Banner getting dragged along for the ride just serves as the icing on the cake.

This also got me Big Hands, so now there really is nothing left to do but stake climb or retreat all the way back down to basics to try for a sci-not/infinite run.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

Power of Pecota posted:

For gold stake I'd reset until I got a holographic tag, that can carry you early game so you don't stall out before you get going. Otherwise, it kinda just sucks.

IMO I'd typically reset for: Holographic, Coupon or Investment. I'll sometimes double up and attempt the boss if I see any combo of the two as $50 is a really good incentive to double skip the first ante. It doesn't always go well, but worth a shot.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It shouldn't be this hard to just get a tarot in the store in Jokerless. Just endless planets for two pair and under :negative:

In three hours of trying I've gotten four steel tarots and two glass.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 06:25 on May 5, 2024

The Velvet Witch
Jul 24, 2017

"I don't have a "make better posts" spell, you're on your own."
Anyone else find this game harder on the switch? I know it sounds dumb but I swear it's harder or less forgiving, I have 4-5 wins on PC but ZERO on switch and I feel like im starving for good jokers

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
I've only played on Switch so I don't know but I will say the rate at which I've rolled Stencil is extremely (low) suspect.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The Velvet Witch posted:

Anyone else find this game harder on the switch? I know it sounds dumb but I swear it's harder or less forgiving, I have 4-5 wins on PC but ZERO on switch and I feel like im starving for good jokers

I'm sure this is Cope but I found the Switch version way harder than steam deck lol. Doesn't help switch is also a big balance patch behind

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

I usually just let myself burn out on games but I think Completionist++ is the only way Balatro is going to let go of my brain. This is where I'm sitting at 140 hours. My steam deck has literally just been a Balatro machine since I got it.

The 2 missing bits in my collection are the upgraded versions cards and planets vouchers because they are both extremely niche and I rarely buy them.

It shouldn't be too painful.. I've already gold stickered 4/5 legendaries..

I will do this thing and then delete this game and leave this thread. And give it the #1 spot in my GOTY list.

edit:
my current joker bros

Chadzok fucked around with this message at 10:34 on May 5, 2024

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Yeah, same. I just finished up all the Black Stakes decks this morning with a quick Zodiac run and all I can think about is continuing to climb, even at the expense of other video game projects. Much less further along on Gold Stakes stickering, but then again I suppose I haven't really tried it again since I won with the Checkered Deck. Oh well, there's still plenty of time!

Jossar fucked around with this message at 12:41 on May 5, 2024

mystes
May 31, 2006

The Velvet Witch posted:

Is it possible that you've unlocked less on switch and that's making it harder or something?

Incremus
Aug 7, 2003

Oh no, I'm so sorry, it's the Moops.

after days of bad luck I managed to clear my first red stakes run. Used Yellow deck and got 2 Blueprints, Greedy, Supernova, and Sock and Buskin. A late game Antimatter let me add Card Sharp and I cleared up to Ante 10 before lack of xmult won out. This game is great. Very much looking forward to seeing the switch get the new patch

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

misprint can eat my rear end!!!!! go +0 mult yourself motherfucker!!!!!!!!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Misprint is my favorite early joker. It'll either hard carry you or immediately gently caress you over

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Chadzok posted:

edit:
my current joker bros

drat I wish I saw Blueprint that much

Kuros posted:

IMO I'd typically reset for: Holographic, Coupon or Investment. I'll sometimes double up and attempt the boss if I see any combo of the two as $50 is a really good incentive to double skip the first ante. It doesn't always go well, but worth a shot.

I'm talking about specifically for black deck gold stake, where if you double skip you probably die immediately