Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
every one of these mewling thieving freaks forlornly tracing their toes in the dirt and going "the problem is really just society, man"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxZLDJQ-ZP8

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

SCheeseman posted:

idk was the internet? Probably not. We all use it though, even when it's probably a better idea to just log off.

what does this... :confused:

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Oxxidation posted:

every one of these mewling thieving freaks forlornly tracing their toes in the dirt and going "the problem is really just society, man"

the joker AI....

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Endorph posted:

The funny thing is if the ai music men spent the same amount of time in fruitloops or with Hatsune miku as they do wrangling the ai they could make something that was better
the hatsune miku song I like a lot conceptually is Anonymous M. It's literally just an interview with Hatsune Miku, but a song. it's very creative and took actual thought to create, rather than mashing a bunch of words together into an algorithm blender to make a twelve-fingered broken-legged anime monstrosity or whatever.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiqEEL7ac6M&hd=1

AI people should at least know their place, that they are the bottom rung of creativity that is possible. I am okay with AI being used to make stupid one-off shitposts for like, when someone brought up jesus and buddha wearing jeans and air jordans, and literally one or two posts later someone had had an algo poop out a few examples and that was worth a chuckle. that's about it though. anyone trying to actual sell AI art should be fed to the sharkticons

e: found the "religious figures in jeans" images

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 18:11 on May 4, 2024

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Oxxidation posted:

It's specific people and laws that are the cause of this, not society. The thieves are the billionaire class.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

brad meltzer is a comic books terrorist

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

SCheeseman posted:

It's specific people and laws that are the cause of this, not society. The thieves are the billionaire class.

there is no one singular class of thief

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Alaois posted:

brad meltzer is a comic books terrorist

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

SCheeseman posted:

*smugly* Did I steal your car? Or did a capitalist who made the safety features too lax do it?

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtYKDzXwDEE

Little math factoid vid on aliquot sequences and what that means for a plucky little number called 276

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Grondoth posted:

*smugly* Did I steal your car? Or did a capitalist who made the safety features too lax do it?
You're the one stealing corporate propaganda from the copyright industry from 20 years ago to make a point.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

SCheeseman posted:

You're the one stealing corporate propaganda from the copyright industry from 20 years ago to make a point.

shut up bitch

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

SCheeseman posted:

if you're gonna die on this hill can you please hurry up

e: lol thanks mods

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
there was also one guy in games bragging about how he used chatGPT to make bedtime stories for his kids

the way these people view the world and human endeavor is fundamentally corrupt

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

Grondoth posted:

I understand the first sentence

I do not understand the second one

its an extraordinarily hollow gesture bordering on insulting, imo

e: for example re: the video linked- the youtuber talks about the theft of native lands in his monetized youtube videos, but the end result is not material improvement for the plight of the indigenous, but personal profit.

fun hater fucked around with this message at 18:27 on May 4, 2024

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Oxxidation posted:

there was also one guy in games bragging about how he used chatGPT to make bedtime stories for his kids

it’s all “idea guys” that hate the concept of the creative process

pro AI posters should be probed on sight

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Oxxidation posted:

Oh God I remember that guy, he would not be persuaded that just making up stories or reading preexisting ones was a better way to approach storytime, and avoided any questions about whether or not the training data was properly sourced and paid for. He was doing the equivalent of running into a book store, ripping out random pages from random books and reading random sentences from them to his kids.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

the people using these things for children's books are the most broken headed to me. they fundamentally don't believe kids can think or deserve to have anything with any level of thought put into it. here's your slop, children.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

fun hater posted:

its an extraordinarily hollow gesture bordering on insulting, imo

e: for example re: the video linked- the youtuber talks about the theft of native lands in his monetized youtube videos, but the end result is not material improvement for the plight of the indigenous, but personal profit.

I find that kinda unfair, honestly. I can see the criticism of it being hollow and performative, yeah. After all, it doesn't really have much of a place in a video about ternaders. But I think it adds an interesting background and starting tone to the video, because this one town is the only one that has been hit by both an F5 and EF5 tornado, and only a few years apart.
I know 'raising awareness' is empty and feels especially empty in the era of slactivism and internet 'discourse,' but having a video about tornadoes prefaced by a bit of history that brings an angle on westward expansion that people may have overlooked or never heard of is, at the least, not bad. It adds to the story, it's informative, and I don't think people tend to realize just how politically dominant the fight over slavery was in the US, down to being a big part of why we rushed west and made a bunch of states really quickly.
I suppose making the video a fundraiser would be the morally correct thing to do, but I have a hard time getting mad at that failing in the whole spectrum of moral failings to have. Producing a short documentary on a terrifying weather event that happened to your town and taking the time to set up a history of it that is very clear in pointing out the actors and the motivations behind their actions isn't a bold and righteous thing to do, but it it shows an understanding of the topics that are better than "geez why can't we stop talking about race guys"

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Geez why can't we stop talking about AI?

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

Instead of bad AI creations have SuperLouis64 building himself a Greatsword controller for Elden Ring.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIfpdHdOoLU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Mercury Hat posted:

the people using these things for children's books are the most broken headed to me. they fundamentally don't believe kids can think or deserve to have anything with any level of thought put into it. here's your slop, children.

There's a poo poo-ton of AI-generated kids books on Amazon these days, especially AI-generated colouring books which are apparently super easy to create. There's also a huge glut of Youtube tutorials about it, eg:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEb9nBYeKTE
Note the hosed up anatomy on the "Trex" in the centre with the weirdly mutated arms. That video got a million views, to give everyone an idea of how popular this poo poo has become.

There's going to be a generation of kids growing up thinking that a Stegosaurus looks like this:

:pwn:

There's also a ridiculous amount of AI-generated "novels" flooding Amazon, which are pretty much all a "passive income" Get Rich Quick scam which was the next logical step in that Amazon fake book scam in that one Folding Ideas video. Remember that hilariously dodgy "Willy's Chocolate Experience" thing with the depressed Oompa Loompa that went viral a few months ago?

The guy behind that event is also a huge AI stan, his previous get rich quick scam was pumping out dozens of AI novels onto Amazon
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=heDU9f5x_dg

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 20:03 on May 4, 2024

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
the only "A.I." I could possibly support is the Automotive Insanity subforum, here on Something Awful. I bet they have all sorts of good conversations there about what kind of Mazda is best, and links to cool videos of Subaru rally cars doing sick jumps! don't really know what goes on there but I bet its fine

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
Much like mobile gaming ads, the actual results of AI generation are simply indefensible

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

gotta admit, i don't really care if my coloring book has an anatomically accurate stegosaurus or not

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

AI is fail, support voice actors/people confident enough to try and make a thing themselves

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSRxeJi5Z5w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNlRjvAVfCw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2eAhtQgLoww

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
The only good AI is the kind I can beat in Smash Bros.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

SimAnt loving rules

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nF-g_abGLo this is just a quick 50 second video but its a thing of potemkin from guilty gear singing a vocaloid song and you can tell the guy took actual clips of potemkins voice and strung them together and tuned the pitch to make him sing the song instead of plugging it into an AI voice thing and the end result sounds so much better.

ai dude keeps yelling about thievery and Who are the Real Copyright Trolls or w/e and the moral optics here are almost exactly the same as ai (minus getting fed into a larger algorithm for others to use, which, plenty of AI programs dont feed back into a central source) someones voice was taken without permission and stretched and changed into something else via a computer program, but i desperately need him to understand that AI just sucks. the reason im against it is ai sucks.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fnd9umSCsws

Spiffing Brit goes back to a 2015 build of Fallout 4.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

christ i was there. i was there... it was sick getting stuck on something while building or cooking and the only way out was alt f4

Mappo
Apr 27, 2009

Unperson_47 posted:

SimAnt loving rules

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

There's going to be a generation of kids growing up thinking that a Stegosaurus looks like this:

I had a thought about the only reason this would result in "a generation of kids growing up thinking a stegosaurus looks like this" is because the AI was trained on years of previous generation's coloring books that thought a stegosaurus looked like that, and then immediately wondered how much an AI recipe generator would lean on lead being a healthy food additive because of all the places on the internet talking about people eating lead paint chips and laughed

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

It's also because the AI doesn't have a conception of what a Stegosaurus is. It's taking shapes that were in images tagged stegosaurus and mashing them together . Everything in those pictures could be an element in a picture that was tagged "stegosaurus" but just not when put together by something incapable of thinking.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

almost every AI bro i've seen has nothing but contempt for artists steming from a deep seated jealously over their talent that they personally lack or refuse to develop themselves its pretty cool

yeah when it's nakedly transparent it owns

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
verilybitchie talks about Doctor Who and gender. It's focusing on what it means to have The Doctor be a woman and expressing gender as The Doctor, and also discussing nonbinary icon: the evil giant space bush baby.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rl4h3IeOuY8

Caelan Conrad did a long video recapping why nobody likes Graham Linehan, including JK Rowling and other transphobes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_Bbz1nz4BU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Jeff Gerstmann playing Magmax on his latest Ranking stream was kind of weird because it instantly brought back a ton of memories as it was one of the first NES games I ever played. I remember playing it quite a bit when I got my NES for Christmas but I think I got super bored with it fairly quickly because I don't remember playing it much after that.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Runa posted:

yeah when it's nakedly transparent it owns

not even having tangible real world talent or skill, if you have any kind of imagination or ability to dream at all, it is your duty to give self-serious AI Prompt Pilots the most extreme of guff, and the most extreme of backsass

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

cumpantry posted:

i only saw the 1st in theaters. my friend hosted a watch party called machete or something where we watched 4, 5, then 2 and 3. and man what a loving tonal shift lmao to say the least. we never ended up watching 6

the machete watch order is incredibly goofy and seems more like a nerd thought exercise than something that will genuinely improve the experience of watching Star Wars