Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

She just drives this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Technically it should be bisexual pirate.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

"haunted by the life of bayou crime into which he was born"

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

"haunted by the life of bayou crime into which he was born"

Bayou crime is kinda like regular crime except spicy like jambalaya.

WaffleZombie
May 10, 2003

"Identity Crisis" Murderer Wild Guess #333:Prince "Lady Killer Charming "Well, I AM the Adversa"

twistedmentat posted:

I like how people are still confused on how these mutants show up, when it's always morph.

I have been vaguely confused by that, because I thought morph was (mostly) a shape shifter. I mostly know him from reading Exiles forever ago, but I don't remember him being able to mimic the superpowers as well as the appearance of someone. Is that a new thing, or does my memory just suck?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

WaffleZombie posted:

I have been vaguely confused by that, because I thought morph was (mostly) a shape shifter. I mostly know him from reading Exiles forever ago, but I don't remember him being able to mimic the superpowers as well as the appearance of someone. Is that a new thing, or does my memory just suck?

I think it's a new thing for the show. I don't remember him doing it in the 90s show (which he was created for) but I don't mind it because it gives him something to do in the action sequences, but they don't over use it to the point he is just the most powerful mutant ever.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Yea, he seems to only be able to hold the form until he gets hit.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Air Skwirl posted:

I think it's a new thing for the show. I don't remember him doing it in the 90s show (which he was created for) but I don't mind it because it gives him something to do in the action sequences, but they don't over use it to the point he is just the most powerful mutant ever.

He's actually the super old X character Changeling. Who started as a villain, then joined the team and subsequently died while pretending to be Prof X. When the show started they changed his name because DC had the trademark for Changeling since that was Beast Boy's name at the time.

New Wave Jose
Aug 20, 2008

Air Skwirl posted:

I think it's a new thing for the show. I don't remember him doing it in the 90s show (which he was created for)

He did it in a late episode of the show. I remember him turning into a guy with wings and fly to catch someone.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Didn't he get an upgrade from Sinister

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

twistedmentat posted:

Yea, he seems to only be able to hold the form until he gets hit.

Everyone has a plan superpower until they get punched in the mouth

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

New Wave Jose posted:

He did it in a late episode of the show. I remember him turning into a guy with wings and fly to catch someone.

This really got me thinking about where the line is between Only Assumes Their Physical Form and Can Use Their Mutant Powers and I think if you don't allow Morph to use the mutant powers you end up drawing some weird arbitrary boundaries that might feel right a lot of the time but are ultimately going to be inconsistent.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

I figured he'd just have the physical strength and related mutations of whatever he turns into. Like if he's Juggernaut he's big and muscly, maybe even super strong and durable, but not the Cyttorak specific stuff. Or like he can turn into Psylocke for ninja business but not for psychic business.

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

It's also not established to what level Morph mimics physical powers. If he morphs into Juggs, maybe he's strong-ish but not actual Juggernaut strong. The character is just short-hand for what physical attributes he's leaning into at that moment.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Yeah, so far the only thing Morph has done that's given me pause is turning into Quicksilver and moving at super speed. Everything else has mostly been mimicking physical elements.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

theironjef posted:

I figured he'd just have the physical strength and related mutations of whatever he turns into. Like if he's Juggernaut he's big and muscly, maybe even super strong and durable, but not the Cyttorak specific stuff. Or like he can turn into Psylocke for ninja business but not for psychic business.

But that's what I mean. Why one and not the other? "Physical" for a mutant is the things they can do. It's their X gene. Psylocke's psychic abilities aren't some external magic techniques she's learned, they are integral to her body.

A weird thing to think about would be what if Morph turned into Rogue and then did a power drain on the level of what she did to Ms. Marvel?

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

My theory is that he's just mimicking their powers while looking like them. He can make his fingers into sharp claws and look like Lady Deathstrike, but they're not actually adamantium; likewise when he's Colossus he's not made of the same organic steel, just a facsimile of it. Morphing his brain to give himself psychic powers is just beyond his abilities.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

My theory is that he's just mimicking their powers while looking like them. He can make his fingers into sharp claws and look like Lady Deathstrike, but they're not actually adamantium; likewise when he's Colossus he's not made of the same organic steel, just a facsimile of it. Morphing his brain to give himself psychic powers is just beyond his abilities.

He turned into Illyana. WHAT DID HE TURN INTO HER SWORD JIMBONE WHAT DID HE TURN INTO HER SWORD

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Medullah posted:

He turned into Illyana. WHAT DID HE TURN INTO HER SWORD JIMBONE WHAT DID HE TURN INTO HER SWORD

Don't ask questions you don't want answers to...

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Also Magik's sword is completely unrelated to her mutant power.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Medullah posted:

Same stuff he turned into Juggernaut's helmet. I assume he's another one of those "not technically wearing clothes" mutants. Or at best that the writers don't care, he can turn into whatever since the point is that they can do a two second shot of Adam X or Husk or something and the nerds in the fan discord can use the DiCaprio pointing meme about it.

WaffleZombie
May 10, 2003

"Identity Crisis" Murderer Wild Guess #333:Prince "Lady Killer Charming "Well, I AM the Adversa"

glitchwraith posted:

Yeah, so far the only thing Morph has done that's given me pause is turning into Quicksilver and moving at super speed. Everything else has mostly been mimicking physical elements.

Yes, that's the exact moment I thought, "wait, what? How does he get super speed?"

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

WaffleZombie posted:

Yes, that's the exact moment I thought, "wait, what? How does he get super speed?"

Same way Taskmaster did that one time.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

What kind of animated resume does Taskmaster have, by the way? Did they ever do him on EMH? I forget.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Lobok posted:

What kind of animated resume does Taskmaster have, by the way? Did they ever do him on EMH? I forget.

I think he's just mentioned.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Gaz-L posted:

Same way Taskmaster did that one time.

By making Alex Horne carry him in a piggyback and run really fastm

WaffleZombie
May 10, 2003

Lobok posted:

I know he showed up in ultimate Spider-Man.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Medullah posted:

And then Goblin Queen turned them unto Darkchyld, and they turned into psylock and had her psi katana.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Pretty sure they just had a regular katana when they were Psylocke, not a glowy one.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I like to think that Morph doesn't actually get the super speed but just "animates" himself as having it by mimicking actual animation smears.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Argue posted:

I like to think that Morph doesn't actually get the super speed but just "animates" himself as having it by mimicking actual animation smears.

Feel like we're getting more into Slapstick territory there.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

He seems to be at least somewhat inspired by the eXiles version of Morph given the new face. That version was basically heroic Clayface. Can Clayface run faster than normal people? I feel like that's a likely yes, just does weird stuff with the muscles he makes out of his goo for his legs. Maybe not Quicksilver fast for real but like that's academic when you're not a speedster and a dude is coming at you crazy fast enough.

theironjef fucked around with this message at 19:19 on May 4, 2024

AzureFlame
Nov 26, 2009
When Morph copies they're copying to the genetic level and Morph copies the same X-gene mutation. Same mutation, same powers. No prize please.

The sword? Uuuuuuhhhhh... They're morphing their hand behind their back into someone's who has hammerspace powers and an exhaustive cosplay collection.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
It’s a cartoon based on a comic book. In a universe where folks can literally rewrite existence. It’s not that deep.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ugebzq3juE

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Wasn't he still basically X-Men super skrull when they brought him back right before Krakoa?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Joe Fisto posted:

It’s a cartoon based on a comic book. In a universe where folks can literally rewrite existence. It’s not that deep.

Why doesn't he just turn into Monarch and blink everything to good instantly?!

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Or Proteus but not with crippling mental instability? Unless that was one of his powers I don't remember.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

theironjef posted:

Or Proteus but not with crippling mental instability? Unless that was one of his powers I don't remember.

You should check out Exiles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

You should check out Exiles

I read all of it until ... I think it was Claremont taking over and suddenly it was all about his favorite X-Men all the time? Whoever it was the took a hard turn into making it boring.

Granted Morph was dead at that point (spoilers for what I think it at least a 25 year old story), so if he was cripplingly mentally unstable, I have blanked on it.

theironjef fucked around with this message at 02:29 on May 5, 2024