Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

DreamingofRoses posted:

Ding ding ding

Am/Was I wrong for deciding to play video games and have fun during past summer breaks instead of reading books? My parents have gotten annoyed that I don’t know how to pronounce some long word words or what some complex words mean.

Are they "assigning" vocab books with phonetic pronunciation guides & definitions in the footnotes? Because I have news for them about how much reading books teaches you to pronounce words correctly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Nobody taught him how to clean up broke shards of glass, it’s really society’s fault

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
TIFU telling my BF my fantasy

quote:

Happened yesterday. My BF (29M) and I (27F) were watching news coverage of a clean-up taking place in a nearby suburb after a tornado came through. There were a few firefighters assisting with clean up, walking around, checking homes, and helping people. I accidently said, "Saving lives is so hot." While watching. My boyfriend was a little taken aback and asked me what I meant. I told him firefighters were really attractive to me because they are so brave and selfless. It's a huge turn-on.

He told me he felt like that was a messed up thing to say to him, that I shouldn't be looking at other men like that. I assured him that I only want him, but maybe I'd enjoy doing some role playing. He got even more upset and said that I crossed the line and he doesn't think he can really satisfy me because he's nothing like a firefighter and doesn't want to act like one. Things just kind of escalated from there.

In the heat of our argument, I told him I don't get on him about him fantasies, and preferences of MMA women, and so on. He said it's different because he's a guy, and he doesn't talk about it in front of me (he does).

He told me if I'm so turned on by firefighters, I should go be with one and stop leading people on. I tried to explain that it's just a fantasy. I just appreciate the qualities of masculinity and bravery, I can't help that. He said I emasculated him by having this fantasy. I didn't want to keep fueling the fire, so I apologized, but he was still so upset. He told me he just needs to get away before he says some things he'll regret. So he took off to his friends place and hasn't contacted me since yesterday.

TLDR; So, by accidently thinking out loud, then suggesting a roleplaying scenario that my BF didn't agree with, we got into a big blow out argument and he's now staying over at his buddies house because he is so upset with me.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
lol at the ages there.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Mordiceius posted:

TIFU telling my BF my fantasy

quote:

e said it's different because he's a guy

:cawg:

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice
I’ve changed my mind on chores kid, it’s gotta be his parent’s fault. One of them must have taught him to be a lazy sack of poo poo, there’s no way he’s smart enough to figure it out on his own.

mystes
May 31, 2006

DreamingofRoses posted:

Ding ding ding

Am/Was I wrong for deciding to play video games and have fun during past summer breaks instead of reading books? My parents have gotten annoyed that I don’t know how to pronounce some long word words or what some complex words mean.

DreamingofRoses posted:

And another from this same OP

AITA (or WITA) for accidentally breaking a glass jar of yogurt in the kitchen when trying to get it from the fridge, which nearly injured my mom’s feet and caused her to be angry?
Those are from the same person as the person who can't use a hose?

I don't know, that only increases my feeling that I don't have enough information to pass judgment..

It's pretty unusual for someone who's 18-19 to still be thinking about a time they broke a glass jar when they were 14 and didn't help their mother clean it up to the point where they're posting about it on reddit to ask if they're an rear end in a top hat.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
r/relationships: He said doesn't talk about it in front of me (he does).

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

video games are great for building up vocabulary. your 10th grade teachers sure aren't going to teach you what a zweihander is.

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

DreamingofRoses posted:

And another from this same OP

AITA (or WITA) for accidentally breaking a glass jar of yogurt in the kitchen when trying to get it from the fridge, which nearly injured my mom’s feet and caused her to be angry?

Another one from the OP lol:

The weekend before finals, I stayed up until about 1:30 AM to study for my Philosophy Final Exam. I ended up flunking the final exam. Now I feel super miserable because I lost 2 hours of sleep just to get an F.

quote:

I (19M) am a freshman college student.
I’m honestly crying right now.

I spent nearly 5 hours reviewing for my Philosophy final exam by looking at the Final Exam Study Guide the teacher gave me and my self-made study guide on Quizlet.
I cannot believe I sacrificed 2 hours of sleep to study for my philosophy final exam just to get an F on it.
My score was a 147/250. I missed the D- by 3 points.

I’ve failed both aspects of wanting to get enough sleep and getting a good grade on a final exam.
Is there any way for me to get over this? This is one of the biggest mistakes that I’ve made in my life-sacrificing my sleep to study and flunking anyway.
Please help.
Thanks, all.

He spent nearly 5 hours, FIVE HOURS (ALMOST), I can't understand why he didn't pass!

ScienceSeagull
May 17, 2021

Figure 1 Smart birds.

the holy poopacy posted:

Are they "assigning" vocab books with phonetic pronunciation guides & definitions in the footnotes? Because I have news for them about how much reading books teaches you to pronounce words correctly

Yeah, I'm leaning toward ESH for that particular post, since it sounds like his parents aren't doing much to actually correct his vocabulary issues, or make reading seem appealing. But I do wonder what words they're complaining about.

(I'm also one of those people who's always pronouncing things wrong because I learned them for books. Especially place names and scientific terminology.)

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

mystes posted:

I don't know, that only increases my feeling that I don't have enough information to pass judgment..

It's pretty unusual for someone who's 18-19 to still be thinking about a time they broke a glass jar when they were 14 and didn't help their mother clean it up to the point where they're posting about it on reddit to ask if they're an rear end in a top hat.

Could also be that he was mining his pathetic past for content for e-fame while he was on Christmas break - he posted a lot around that time, getting lukewarm responses, then stopped posting. Now he's started again.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Honestly that one kind of just sounds like someone who never learned to study hitting the wall of college being harder to coast by in. A lot of people have tried to cram the night before a final and it hasn't gone well.

Edit: The weirder thing to me is him going to Reddit about everything.

mystes
May 31, 2006

He also posted this:

quote:

When I was 2 years old, my mom found out that I was diagnosed with autism. When Mom told my dad about this, it made my dad angry, and he threatened to divorce my mom. In return, my mom got angry and shamed him for wanting to leave her and me when I was only 2 years old.
So I think the answer is either autism and/or a hosed up family environment or all the posts are fake ragebait

mystes fucked around with this message at 21:17 on May 4, 2024

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Another "test" (that almost certainly wasn't a test)

Recently informed by my ex that he never wanted to break up with me and our breakup was actually a test

quote:

My now ex boyfriend (23m) of two years abruptly texted me (23f) a couple of weeks ago saying he wasn’t happy anymore. I tried to call him and he said he’d call me back later. I called again later and he ignored it again and just texted “I’m done.”

For a couple days I still wasn’t really sure if he wanted to talk about things, and kept trying to call or text him, but I was ignored.

He told me that text saying he wasn’t happy was him breaking up with me and he thought it was obvious.

I saw him in person yesterday, since we wanted to try being friends. I started talking about all of my plans for the future, which included moving states and traveling. He got upset and started crying. Asking if I’d really just leave him like that. And I was like thinking huh you left me? Why are you mad I’m moving on?

But then he started saying he was still in love with me and still wanted to be with me, and when he sent that text I wasn’t supposed to just accept it, I should’ve driven over to his place and begged for him back and done everything that he texted saying he wasn’t happy about. I didn’t know that because like I said, he wouldn’t even answer my calls or texts, but I guess that was part of the whole game.

AITA for not begging my boyfriend to still date me when he broke up with me?
The highest rated response is simply

quote:

I guess things with the other girl didn't work out.
Yep.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Shanghaied posted:

Another one from the OP lol:

The weekend before finals, I stayed up until about 1:30 AM to study for my Philosophy Final Exam. I ended up flunking the final exam. Now I feel super miserable because I lost 2 hours of sleep just to get an F.

He spent nearly 5 hours, FIVE HOURS (ALMOST), I can't understand why he didn't pass!

Classic rookie mistake, you spend AT MOST two hours studying the night before an exam, that way the knowledge is fresh in your mind.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

FMguru posted:

Dad tries to get his daughter to take over supporting his useless, freeloading adult stepdaughter. Daughter tells dad (and stepmom) to eat poo poo.

AITA for not letting my "sister" move in with me?

Good spine, OP. Pete would approve. Dad can go eat poo poo, especially after that cowardly last message.

OK but

quote:

My dad remarried only 1 year after mom and him got a divorce. The new woman, let's call her Brittany for the sake of the story, kinda always forces me to call her "mom" and I just told her that she's not my mother and only my dad's wife. She never brought it up again. It's not like she doesn't have any kids of her own. She has 1 daughter who was in a different state for college when they got married. I never met her. Only knew her name. Dad invited me over for dinner to meet her once she was back. She's like a few years older than me. Let's call her Stella.

How does stepmom kinda always do something if she never brought it up again? Oh the humanity.

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

ScienceSeagull posted:

(I'm also one of those people who's always pronouncing things wrong because I learned them for books. Especially place names and scientific terminology.)

It's more common than you think lol. I was at a research seminar where someone spent the better part of two hours mispronouncing "Camus" (their pronunciation rhymes with "famous"). I didn't even care that he pronounced it wrong - pretty much all non-French speakers butcher French names, me included. If anything, I was puzzled. Like they have been in academia for almost thirty years, have they never heard the name Camus in spoken conversation :confused: ?

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
It's called the "Reader's Curse." You know the words you just can't pronounce them.

https://samkates.co.uk/2018/07/27/the-avid-readers-curse/

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Like "blackguard" is pronounced as "blagherd." How am I supposed to know that?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Desert Bus posted:

i don't think i've ever heard that word said out loud so I'm not sure it matters

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD
It's understandable if you're a normal person. But if you've been in the humanities/social science for thirty years, you'd think Camus would've come up at some point?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

mystes posted:

i don't think i've ever heard that word said out loud so I'm not sure it matters

You should try it out, it's fun to use outdated insults

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Desert Bus posted:

It's called the "Reader's Curse." You know the words you just can't pronounce them.

https://samkates.co.uk/2018/07/27/the-avid-readers-curse/

My plan for learning language from books has gone awry.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

It took me years to learn that debacle and debockle were the same word. And that something fashionably sheik was actually chic.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Desert Bus posted:

I only learned that when it showed up in Elden Ring lmao

edit: wait actually it was Hades, Theseus uses the word a lot

Tarezax fucked around with this message at 21:59 on May 4, 2024

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD
More chores-talk:

AITA for telling my wife to do her chores?

quote:

I, (24M), have been married to my wife Amelia (26F) for 4 years, (yes I know we married fairly young.). I work a consultant type job which requires me to have periods/roughly a month where I work 70~ hours a week We don't have kids and my wife does not have a job. Currently I'm in one of these periods (typing this on my lunch) Me and my wife usually do a 70/40 split in terms of housework but in weeks like this I do next to none because 10 hours a day (no weekends) of mostly standing/moving about means that when I get home I usually collapse on the couch and then do some prep for tomorrow. Recently my wife hasn't been doing even 50% of the chores, which is fine for a bit. We all have our ups and downs and I've never had an issue with a messy house. I've been microwaving some frozen stuff/not eating for dinner.

My wife recently brought up to me that she was feeling overwhelmed with all the mess in the house and asked me to help out. I'm not in the house for 12ish hours including commute and lunch break so I don't really care how the house looks. I told her if she wanted the house to be clean she could just do her chores. She went tight-lipped and told me she'd let that go because I was under a lot of stress. I went to sleep soon after and got up 6 and left for work at 7:30 before she woke up. I got a text a few hours ago that she was dissapointed in how I'd reacted to her expressing her needs. I get that she's stressed, I do. But I'm doing my job. Is it so unfair to expect her to do hers?

Edit: Answering a few questions.

As a consultant I get leased to different businesses for anywhere from a few days to a month. My schedule can vary from getting a month with only a few days of non-stop work and the rest off (I'm talking I do not have time to come and go from my house , I have to get a hotel room as close as possible) or a steady few weeks of a normal schedule to this. 2) Pay: Numbers vary but in general money is not an issue. Yes, I do pay for everything 3) 70/40 was a mistake. Its somewhere between 60-70/30-40. 4) No, I do not care about the mess and I only have one thing which is do not leave wine glasses out. If you're gonna invite friends over to the house when I'm not there don't leave alcohol/drugs/vapes out (i hate intoxicating substances) My wife does drink, unlike me, so we have a designated cupboard for the alcohol keep it in there. 5) No I am not mother gothel. My wife is not locked up in our house, she can go where she wants. 6) Currently I'm doing 10 hours minimum a day, no weekends, 2 hours commute, 2 hours prep, my wife does not make breakfast/pack a lunch, I leave before she wakes up. 7) I do not run around the house making messes in random rooms (i think this was a joke) I stick to my study, which is messy but she doesn't go in there anyway, the guest room and the kitchen. (I don't want to disturb her with my hours so I go in the guest room for these kinds of times.

Honestly just sounds to me like the wife is bored out of her mind. I'm one of those people who get anxious when I'm alone and got nothing to do. I have a pretty flexible job, most days I don't even have to show up, but I do anyway just to shoot the breeze and maybe drink a couple of beers afterwards. I don't know what I'd do on a weekday otherwise, all my friends are at work then.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Kids are exciting, maybe try having one of those

Lugubrious
Jul 2, 2004

Desert Bus posted:

It's used in some older editions of Dungeons and Dragons to refer to evil paladins, so if you're me you know how to pronounce it because you mispronounced it at your local game store years ago and a grognard got incredibly offended over it.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

blackguard is pronounced not black-guard? What the gently caress. Next you'll tell me cockburn isn't pronounced how it's written.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Laundry talk: is everyone aware that if you leave wet clothes in the washer too long before drying them, you're going to smell like dried piss to other people when you wear them? My wife calls it "sour laundry stench" and three adult men she works with regularly have that lovely aroma of amplified body odor.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Steve Vader posted:

Laundry talk: is everyone aware that if you leave wet clothes in the washer too long before drying them, you're going to smell like dried piss to other people when you wear them? My wife calls it "sour laundry stench" and three adult men she works with regularly have that lovely aroma of amplified body odor.

I hate that smell and judge otherwise put-together people that smell like that. It's super gross.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Steve Vader posted:

Forgetting your laundry in the washer overnight is not a "Eh, stuff them in the dryer." sitch it's a "Goddammit I gotta wash these again if I don't want myself or my closet to smell like rear end."

You can smell it when you open the washer. Do people just think that mildewey smell is normal?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Trapped moisture is the foundation of all stink

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

mystes posted:

Yeah, can someone who’s done the archaeology just explain if this OP called it a throwaway when it in fact was not a throwaway? Certainly wouldn’t put it past him.

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

kimbo305 posted:

Yeah, can someone who’s done the archaeology just explain if this OP called it a throwaway when it in fact was not a throwaway? Certainly wouldn’t put it past him.

Yes, it's all posts by the same guy, all are from 4-5 months ago. The hose post is from today. Could be throwaway in the sense it's just an account separate from his main.

Or nobody has shown him how to have two accounts on the same site.

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).

My (30M) Wife (31 F) doesn't appreciate my bees, I'm considering divorce. What should I do? posted:

My wife (31 F) and I (30M) have been married for 5 years now. I work mainly in accounting and personal finance advice while my wife is a math teacher at our local high school. Recently I have been researching and preparing to start a bee colony as I have been interested in bees for a long time and have recently reached a place financially where both me and my wife are able to pay bills and have bees. Before I did anything I spoke with my wife about my research and plan to get the bees, at first she had some apprehensions but we talked through them. Once we were both on the same page I found an artificial beehive and contacted a professional beekeeper to help with the bee process and so I began my bee journey.

A week or two later my wife comes home, while I'm making dinner, and tells me she invited a few work friends (all 31 F) over for dinner tomorrow. I say that's fine and continue making dinner until she requests that I move my beehive, the exchange went something like this.

Wife: "While I clean the house would you mind moving your hive? It's an eyesore."

Me: "I'm sorry, but what do you mean by eyesore? It's outside and has plenty of distance between itself and the house."

Wife: "I know, but I want it further back it doesn't match the house and I don't want my work friends thinking I let this house go into chaos when I'm not around."

At this point I had finished dinner and was setting up the table when I asked her, "why is this an issue now? Didn't we agree on the placement before I even got the hive? And besides it's hard to move a hive once it's been placed, where were you thinking of moving it?" She responded that she didn't care she just didn't want to see it. After that we sat down for dinner and I asked again where she wanted me to move the hive, stating that the closest forest wasn't on our property and the second option would be by the back porch. My wife repeated her answer, that she didn't care she just didn't want to see it and we continued on as normal, we ate, we cleaned the house in preparation, did our respective night time routines then went to bed.

The next day my wife and I wake up around 5:00 am, do our morning routines, eat breakfast and head to work. Around 4:00 my wife calls me while I'm still at work, (the high school gets done around 3:00), I excuse myself from a conversation I was having with a co-worker and I go to a quiet corner of the break room. I pick up and my wife starts screaming at me that I didn't move the hive and now her work friends have to see my "hideous" bee hive. I try and get her to calm down by apologizing and saying I forgot and that I can drive over and move it quick, my wife cuts me off and says it's too late and she'll do it herself before she hangs up. I'm standing in the break room confused and angry so I try and focus on my work and deal with it later. I get home that night to my wife sitting at the table reading her book, she welcomes me home and I ask about her day, she says "it was good, a little stressful but nothing I couldn't handle". I then decide to bite the bullet and ask about the hive and how she handled it.

Wife: "Oh yeah! Your bees I almost forgot, it was hard moving the bee hive because the bees kept stinging me so when I tried to set it down it fell and broke so I left it there because it is your hive after all."

Me: "You broke my hive?! How long has it been sitting like that?!"

Wife: "It's been like that since I called you."

I looked out of the window to see my hive laying on the ground, parts of the walls were broken as well as the legs and other crucial parts of the hive. When I took a step outside to get a closer look I saw my bees flying around unsure of where to go, I called the beekeeper contact and asked for a description of the damage. When I told him he said that there isn't much he can do but he'll call a friend to try and fix the things they can, I thanked him, hung up the phone and walked back inside feeling defeated. When I re-entered the house I walked upstairs not even glancing at my wife. I took a shower and cried, my dream of having a bee hive of my own was gone and there wasn't much I could do. When I got out of the shower my wife was already in bed, I crawled in next to her and laid awake for hours questioning our relationship and "if she really loves me why didn't she leave the hive alone?" I have been contemplating divorce as I realized that after she destroyed my hive she has never once apologized nor does she seem empathetic in the slightest, I tried asking for an apology and all I got was "why should I apologize for doing you a favor?" I never asked for an apology since and I'm wondering how I never noticed this behavior from her before and I don't know what to do. Deep down I still love her but she also can't understand why I'm so upset. What should I do?

TLDR: My wife of 5 years destroyed my dream beehive, never apologized and sees it as a favor. What should I do?

On the one hand, destroying your partners property on purpose is wrong.

On the other hand, I totally get not wanting a beehive in your backyard. But you should have just said no.

And I wonder how many times she got stung?

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

blackmet posted:

On the one hand, destroying your partners property on purpose is wrong.

On the other hand, I totally get not wanting a beehive in your backyard. But you should have just said no.

And I wonder how many times she got stung?

Not wanting a beehive in your backyard because it didn't match your house.

Edit: "why should I apologize for doing you a favor?" lmao. Just get divorced. You do not want to spend your life with this person. Do it while you're still young and don't have kids.

Shanghaied fucked around with this message at 23:30 on May 4, 2024

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
bees rule, divorce the free honey smasher

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Just chillin' : )
How is a beehive that much of an eyesore. and even if it's somehow ugly for whatever reason, your husband likes it so why TF does it matter?

I don't understand bees so I don't get why the beehive can't be repaired (but also, gently caress the wife off anyway cos being this mean doesn't happen in a vacuum)