Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Brightman posted:

Normally people aren't up for slicing hairs that thinly, should've just explained it instead of implying people were wrong for referring to it in a general way.

So they're using cheaper synthetic crap on their higher end controller, sorta feels like 1 step forward, 2 steps back in this instance unless it's not really that much of a problem.

The answer is yes and no, the particular part of the controller grip is a poor design. There are certainly better ways to do it even with the same materials, but it's largely just industry practice. Numerous products people think of as being made of natural materials (not really talking controllers here btw) are no longer made that way, or if they are they tend to be much more expensive. Athletic soles made with actual rubber, couches and clothing made of genuine leather, these things are quite pricey and hard to source materials for at scale, and so corners are cut in design wherever possible. Consumer electronics have been heading in this direction for a while, too, one of the reasons why old amplifiers or CRTs have a rock solid collector secondary market. But yeah, just because you tell people that their shoes aren't made of rubber anymore doesn't mean they don't comprehend the material they are walking on to be 'rubbery'. It's incidental to them until it fails.

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 21:59 on May 4, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

the grips on the back of my Edge controller are bubbling up in certain spots

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

lmao

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

if yellowing and peeling up is part of that particular material's lifecycle, that's one thing, nothing stays pristine forever

I only got this controller last summer, though. that's pretty bad

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

grieving for Gandalf posted:

if yellowing and peeling up is part of that particular material's lifecycle, that's one thing, nothing stays pristine forever

I only got this controller last summer, though. that's pretty bad

If it's still under warranty you could send it back for a replacement controller, sadly this will probably happen to all of them eventually

There are also some cheap home mods you can do if it gets really annoying

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
They don't lend well to being handled for hours at a time, it's the nature of the material plus the adhesive that would have to keep it attached to the body. Doritos, food oils, sweat, cum, you name it, it all builds up on controllers over time into some unholy alchemical mix and absolute wrecks it given enough time. The standard controllers will naturally last way longer since they're just hard polyethylene and such, and the rubbery thumbsticks are usually the first to go (which is why you should buy grip covers for them!)

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Bad news for the exact kind of person who would buy a dualsense edge

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

big nipples big life posted:

A new Tenchu. Sekiro feels like they started with that idea then just veered off into something else. Or maybe a new Chromehounds.

From has so much cool stuff in their library, it's really impressive.

I want the next game to be Shadow Tower 3. Just to start a new genre of fantasy FPS RPGs

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Escobarbarian posted:

Bad news for the exact kind of person who would buy a dualsense edge

Hey now, I don't let Doritos, food oils, or sweat ruin my controllers.

boz
Oct 16, 2005
I used to have an Xbox controller that had a fan in it to keep my sweaty goon hands dry it was pretty sweet.

edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dUqC_OaawE

boz fucked around with this message at 23:02 on May 4, 2024

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

They should make a controller with detachable, ice pack style grips u can stick in the freezer

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

They should make a contoller with detachable "bee grips" full of little holes that stinging insects can hide in

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

"They" should make a cobtoler wit datachle grips made of cast iorn that u stikc inthe oeven and burn your hands reallly really badly

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

free hubcaps posted:

"They" should make a cobtoler wit datachle grips made of cast iorn that u stikc inthe oeven and burn your hands reallly really badly

does your building have a gas leak

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

I think they were cooking with the controller filled with bees that sting you

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Should have cooked with the cast iron controller, way better results if you keep it seasoned

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
They shouldn’t make controllers out of self destructing rubber imo

CAR CRASH CRACKERS
Jan 13, 2008

commemorative spoons and tiny personalized license plates: the regalia of tourism

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

They don't lend well to being handled for hours at a time, it's the nature of the material plus the adhesive that would have to keep it attached to the body. Doritos, food oils, sweat, cum, you name it, it all builds up on controllers over time into some unholy alchemical mix and absolute wrecks it given enough time.
:ninja:

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

They should make retro controllers that are stripped of their superlative tech so they last more than 4 hours

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

They don't lend well to being handled for hours at a time, it's the nature of the material plus the adhesive that would have to keep it attached to the body. Doritos, food oils, sweat, cum, you name it, it all builds up on controllers over time into some unholy alchemical mix and absolute wrecks it given enough time. The standard controllers will naturally last way longer since they're just hard polyethylene and such, and the rubbery thumbsticks are usually the first to go (which is why you should buy grip covers for them!)

tbh the catalyst for delamination prolly isn't any of that, it's just heat from being held that slowly helps degrade the glue bond between 2 materials that innately can't really be glued. TPR, being closed-cell, doesn't easily absorb stuff. this is why people who are cleanly and people who filthy will probably have delamination issues at the same rate.

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 00:47 on May 5, 2024

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

Can anyone recommend a racing wheel compatible for ps5 and pc?

I’ve been seeing a lot of clips of this dude blowing smokes while driving like a complete bad rear end.

How cheap can I get this set up?

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C3QnIbso6-t/?igsh=bXN4enM1a28zZTA0

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

IG-88 posted:

I’ve been seeing a lot of clips of this dude blowing smokes while driving like a complete bad rear end.

Logitech G29, if you like it then you can go harder but G29s are always on [insert local craigslist equivalent here] because people are always upgrading from it or realising the wheel life isn't for them.

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

njsykora posted:

Logitech G29, if you like it then you can go harder but G29s are always on [insert local craigslist equivalent here] because people are always upgrading from it or realising the wheel life isn't for them.

This guys firm on $175 but I can get target to price match

https://www.target.com/p/logitech-g29-driving-force-racing-wheel-and-pedals-for-playstation-4-5-pc/-/A-86542996

For $230 plus the 5% red card discount..

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

IG-88 posted:

This guys firm on $175 but I can get target to price match

https://www.target.com/p/logitech-g29-driving-force-racing-wheel-and-pedals-for-playstation-4-5-pc/-/A-86542996

For $230 plus the 5% red card discount..

Seems like the total is about the same…

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Microsoft must have really lubed Sony up with how prominently their stuff is featured on psn

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Metro redux is the cheapest I’ve ever seen it. $2.99 for 2 awesome games. Killer deal

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

I spent the last 3 days playing the Business Management side quest in Yakuza Like a Dragon, to the point where I kind of forgot about the rest of the game. Something about it really drew me in, is there anything else like that on PS5?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

BigDumper posted:

I spent the last 3 days playing the Business Management side quest in Yakuza Like a Dragon, to the point where I kind of forgot about the rest of the game. Something about it really drew me in, is there anything else like that on PS5?

Yakuza 0

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Real estate management in Yakuza 0 is kinda boring but is a money printing machine

The real addiction is the hostess bar management game

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

IG-88 posted:

Or the Thrustmaster t300 rs gt. I have that and the belt drive is quieter and it has more torque than the G29.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

free hubcaps posted:

Been saying this

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

BigDumper posted:

Yakuza 0, kiwami, kiwami 2, 5, 6, 8.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Anyone got any recs for cheapish arcade sticks, i'd want one that works for ps5/4/3/pc and switch, if there isnt a all in one then what can i do.

I need to playing fighting games but it seems like this weird joint pain in my right hand/thumb joint isbt going away so i figure a fight stick would work better than face button mash

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Steve Yun posted:

Real estate management in Yakuza 0 is kinda boring but is a money printing machine

The real addiction is the hostess bar management game

Its not a money print machine at all, exploiting mr.shakedown is the money printer

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Hopper posted:

Or the Thrustmaster t300 rs gt. I have that and the belt drive is quieter and it has more torque than the G29.

The problem there is it's not nearly as available on the used market and is going to end up being more expensive while also being harder to sell if you decide to upgrade since Thrustmaster has typically had not good reliability. In the current market where direct drive wheels have gotten cheap belt drives are just a middle ground that doesn't make sense any more for someone new to wheels.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The concept of an unreliable product called the Thrustmaster presents horrible images in my mind

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Wait a loving second, so I can cum in my PS5, but not on the controller?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Due to RPG thread I started Okage, turns out it's one of the PS2 games where the graphics are hosed up on PS5.

Love that Sony charges extra for old games that don't even work right.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Sakurazuka posted:

it's one of the PS2 games where the graphics are hosed up on PS5.

So like all of em. Ps2 remasters all hosed up somehow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

https://techraptor.net/gaming/news/helldivers-2-delisted-for-over-100-countries-on-steam

Trust Sony to get one glimpse of a golden goose and gently caress it all up.