Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

smugleta

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
The Wandering Culinarian

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
Still catching up.
When the robots had a Sunday strip, I felt empathy for them.

I do not feel empathy for this guy.
-----------------

Alterian posted:

If you don't live in North Carolina, you don't understand the yearly pollinating. Its something you truely have to experience.

JethroMcB posted:

The strip doesn't even address the true terror: the smell...
I live in NC, and I know the pollen. My black car turns a lovely shade of yellow. But I don't know anything about the smell, because my allergies get so bad I can't smell anything.

CannonFodder fucked around with this message at 15:22 on May 4, 2024

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I tell true: nothing is ever my fault it's all the drat kids these days :qq:

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

:hellyeah:

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Slylock Fox

:hb:

Flash Gordon

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 5/3/04

Brenda Starr 2/22/53

Smokey Stover 4/23/61

Everyday Movies 7/1/37

"I'm sorry about dinner, Henry. We'll have to have delicatessen tonight -- I was at a cooking class at the settlement this afternoon."

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 8/22/43

Closer Than We Think! 4/23/61

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
And Now, The Happy Ending

Sally Forth

Peanuts (May 7, 1977)

A very solid observation in the BSS Discord (which yes, is still somehow a thing):

MechaMaestro, in the Hall of Shame folder, posted:

Re: today’s crankshaft. You know Dinkle, it’s funny. I would imagine the reason why you didn’t sell many books is because everyone in your town of like 10 thousand people knows you and knows all your experiences, because you won’t shut the gently caress up about them. ‘Here’s my secret to selling band fundraising turkeys…’ ‘I don’t need to learn that, you loving strong arm me into buying one every single loving year!’

No one is buying a book they are the victim of

Behold. Another Victim Of Harry Dinkle.

The current turn of Rip Haywire is still deeply fishy.

Li'l Abner gives us "Well. That was quick." (June 22-24, 1936)

Thimble Theater (December 7, 1940, a date that will live in infamy (in twelve months))

Out Our Way (August 10-12, 1944)

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Esa Ahto

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Random silly Nancy. No translation needed.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

EasyEW posted:

And Now, The Happy Ending

Hooray! :kimchi:

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
It's taken a while to realize but drat, Flash Gordon kicks rear end.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

CannonFodder posted:

Willie, how many circus girlfriends have you had over the years?

IIRC he owns a circus. One of his investments.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

riderchop posted:

For Better or For Worse

I get that the sentiment is supposed to be the husband being kind and understanding and saying she doesn't need to change, but it's undercut by how we've never seen this guy helping with any of the household chores or raising the kids. Though it's hard to tell whether dumping all the chores on the wife is just because the comic's from the 80s and it has outdated ideas, or if Lynn exaggerating how much work her self-insert does to garner sympathy.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Selachian posted:

Closer Than We Think! 4/23/61

This, of course, happened more or less as described, though not until 1973, and only lasted about six months and actually weighed more like 100 tons.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Corto Maltese

Blueberry

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

Gil Thorp

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Luann doesn't have $500, Bets

She probably doesn't have $5. Maybe she can pay you with a bad joke or a boring go-nowhere anecdote.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Maybe they should have made her sign a contract beforehand. You know, these business majors.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Big Nate

Blind Alley

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Okay the thing is, in this age of social media and whatnot, your brand is how you are presented to others, and why they follow/pay attention to you. If you're just a blank slate, full of potential, why should I pay attention to that? You'll end up being something. Good for you. Of course Luann likely doesn't care about that, but that's the thing, you don't need to worry about your "brand" if you're not seeking popularity/views/interactions/etc.

Of course Luann also wants to be a writer so maybe she should start thinking about getting a brand. Why will people read the writing of a "blank slate"?

TL,DR: This plotline sucks, it's not funny, it's not leading to anything, nuke the site from orbit it's the only way to be sure, etc.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
We Are Reproducing

quote:

Haraiso Days

quote:

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I appreciate the thumbnailing of the previous strip on the ongoing stories.

Breadmaster
Jun 14, 2010
This is the kind of end of year cleaning that calls for a flamethrower, isn't it?

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...

Breadmaster posted:

This is the kind of end of year cleaning that calls for a flamethrower, isn't it?

A flamethrower will feature, yes.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

amigolupus posted:

I get that the sentiment is supposed to be the husband being kind and understanding and saying she doesn't need to change, but it's undercut by how we've never seen this guy helping with any of the household chores or raising the kids. Though it's hard to tell whether dumping all the chores on the wife is just because the comic's from the 80s and it has outdated ideas, or if Lynn exaggerating how much work her self-insert does to garner sympathy.
I like how "writing letters" is a regular chore she needs to do.

F Minus

Mark Trail

I think that's word balloon stem misplacement.

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Breadmaster posted:

you're not doing it right if it doesn't :flame:

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Pogo 11/16/52

Archie 4/27-29/50

The Virtue of Vera Valiant 8/8-10/77

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
:hr:

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.
The Family Upstairs/The Dingbat Family(November 5, 1910)

Baron Bean(May 6, 1916)

Polly and Her Pals(April 5, 1913)

Gasoline Alley(December 27, 1919)

Us Boys(May 4, 1912)

The Gumps(June 2, 1917)

Bringing up Father(February 6, 1913)

Abie the Agent(February 21, 1914)

"Cap" Stubbs(March 16, 1918)

Jess Willard

thisusedyet
Feb 14, 2012

My post... it sucks!!!

Selachian posted:

[
Archie 4/27-29/50

[

I'd imagine you sound the Retreat, dumbass
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fgDxAASI_c

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

Murdstone posted:

I like how "writing letters" is a regular chore she needs to do.

I mean, letter writing used to be a big deal when phone calls were still expensive and there was no such thing as the internet. Sitting down and writing back to all your various friends and family members used to be a thing people would absolutely set aside time for.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Samovar posted:

Corto Maltese

Blueberry

comics and titles are swapped! i couldn't remember when Steelfingers got a gatling gun but I was like well, Blueberry is DEAD now.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Fighting Trousers posted:

I mean, letter writing used to be a big deal when phone calls were still expensive and there was no such thing as the internet. Sitting down and writing back to all your various friends and family members used to be a thing people would absolutely set aside time for.
Yeah I meant it as "That's a neat look at a different time" not so much in a snarky way.

But still it feels to me a little old fashioned even for the 80s. I don't remember my mom writing a bunch of letters, but I might just not have seen that.

I do remember she always wanted me to write thank you notes for Christmas/birthday gifts and I hated it.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Murdstone posted:

Yeah I meant it as "That's a neat look at a different time" not so much in a snarky way.

But still it feels to me a little old fashioned even for the 80s. I don't remember my mom writing a bunch of letters, but I might just not have seen that.

I do remember she always wanted me to write thank you notes for Christmas/birthday gifts and I hated it.

Also, keeping in touch with the extended family was considered part of the housewife's job (and is still something that women, generally, put more effort into than guys). That meant putting time in writing letters and on the phone.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Selachian posted:

Archie 4/27-29/50

"Charge" is the one that goes doot-do doot-do doot-do dee-da dee-da dee-da dooooooo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VY58inWev0E&t=2s

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

From what we've seen, she's been completely silent this entire time and Wilbur hasn't noticed.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Our National Nightmare Is Over, The New Baby Is Here, Now The Cartoonist Can Plot Less

The Dog Can Now Turn Left

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Breaking Cat News Instagram

Georgia Dunn posted:

I had quite the jump scare just now as I wished someone a “and also with you” to May the 4th and realized—I hadn’t posted the 2024 BCN May the 4th picture yet!

MAY THE 4TH BE WITH YOU!! ✨⭐️✨

you broke my grill
Jul 11, 2019

why is Ed so lazy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Scary Go Round (May 29-31, 2006)