Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Senerio posted:

Like, as a specific example, the point they made about the builds for PPVs built around dream matches seeming less important than the ones built around a main story, is something I agree with but can't phrase properly without seeming like "oh AEW should never run dream matches," which is a stupid sentiment I disagree with.

I liked Dynasty, to be clear, but I found the build to not make me as hype as I should have been for it.

I get what you're saying, and for what it's worth I think you phrased it quite well. The thing with dream matches is that they don't need a lot of build beyond the natural anticipation of seeing those people fight, and I think a lot of modern wrestling fans (speaking generally here) often expect/demand more "storytelling" via promos and angles/skits than is needed. My only real criticism with AEW dream matches is their placement on the card; they're often too close to the main event and it burns the fans out for world title matches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I've listened to a few more episodes of that podcast too. I think some of their criticisms are dumb, some are valid, but they're never malicious

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Shard posted:

Nah ill stand by it. Hangman should have won that first match especially with all the poo poo that followed it. Punk became champ and then hangman disappeared for a while it sucked

Punk winning the world title made sense at the time, but I do agree that the programme and the build to the title change could have been bigger.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

MediaPlayerClassic posted:

I'm listening right now to their most recent episode, and one thing that sticks out to me is that it feels like they're criticizing in good faith, which is something I'm genuinely not feeling from everyone else. Like, someone would say that "AEW is bad because the Young Bucks are on top and all over the show", as opposed to "AEW could stand to make their world championship be more of a focal point than it is".

what podcasts that anyone here would listen to criticize aew in bad faith?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

WOR DS

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

"There's no Bermuda Triangle in London" lol

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Dave's research skills not too hot on this one.

https://twitter.com/luchablog/status/1786387977981042704

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
tbf this is probably from him not knowing you have to use the "verbatim" setting to get results that are even close now

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Raskolnikov38 posted:

tbf this is probably from him not knowing you have to use the "verbatim" setting to get results that are even close now

He's just not paying attention, the MLW venue is the first result with a picture of a gym that obviously doesn't fit 6,000 and then the other venue with the location is listed right next to the capacity in the results.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Not with that attitude

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Dave wants to build the Eritrean scene because he's intimidated by Soft Ground Wrestling.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

MassRafTer posted:

He's just not paying attention, the MLW venue is the first result with a picture of a gym that obviously doesn't fit 6,000 and then the other venue with the location is listed right next to the capacity in the results.

or that, but google still sucks poo poo to use now

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Raskolnikov38 posted:

or that, but google still sucks poo poo to use now

I agree that's why I ended up just searching it to see how weird the results looked. I was surprised it was actually pretty clear.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

dave ftw

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
Is there a good write up or 5 part video essay on why Google search engine sucks so bad now. I know why but I'd like to hear it from someone else too

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

apophenium posted:

Is there a good write up or 5 part video essay on why Google search engine sucks so bad now. I know why but I'd like to hear it from someone else too

I'm not an expert but I'd guess a combination of Google increasingly shoving sponsored search results to the top, websites farming SEO to game the search results, and the unstoppable flood of AI generated garbage that's rendering basically everything on the internet nearly unusable.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

apophenium posted:

google searches the web and a lot of the web sucks too

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

The guy who was put in charge of Google Search starting in like 2018 was the guy who was previously in charge of Yahoo search

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

It's cos they just wanna sell ads now

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Do? No, evil!

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

apophenium posted:

coincidentally Ed Zitron wrote about it recently

https://www.wheresyoured.at/the-men-who-killed-google/

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

after 30 boring minutes of car lease talk the vow flagship finally starts.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
https://x.com/davemeltzerwon/status/1786540413341593991?s=46&t=AwMtDeZF_tX5DmOd53fE0g

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Suplex Liberace posted:

after 30 boring minutes of car lease talk the vow flagship finally starts.

The first time I feel interested in listening to the Flagship...

Malikov
Jan 25, 2015
I like the small talk at the start of the flagship podcasts when it's not Joe doing his best Joel Gertner impression.

mooseinfants
Dec 22, 2014
The only time flagship banter is boring is when it's baseball

Happiness
Oct 10, 2004

much like with bryan alvarez an important part of the flagship listening experience is learning about all of the extremely specific neuroses of joe lanza

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

I got tired of all the F4W folks years ago except for Jim Valley and Granny. Now VoW Flagship, there's some banter you can set your watch to!

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

Prodigy of Victor von Doom
https://twitter.com/Peps_Wrestling/status/1786883606968729727?t=Gj5LrKzY8DD6S9LJZO_UBw&s=19

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

he’s right

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

JUNGLE BOY posted:

he’s right

and he should say it

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

the fraud podcasters

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Ringo Roadagain posted:

the fraud podcasters

Fraudcasters, surely

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

What's the context here? HHH made fun of a reporter at one of their media scrums?

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

What's the context here? HHH made fun of a reporter at one of their media scrums?

Someone asked about Drew Gulak and whether his release was connected to the allegations Ronda Rousey made against him and Triple H's response was basically "well, he wasn't released, his contract expired and we didn't renew him, so whatever your source is, isn't credible"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Did the reporter follow up on it to ask him if they didn't renew the contract because of the allegations Ronda Rousey made against him?

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Dave is going to have to have more people killed.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Rename the thread Wrestling Fraudcasts

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

"If you're going to cite news sources..."

The guy didn't appear to actually cite any news sources at all?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

fez_machine posted:

Rename the thread Wrestling Fraudcasts

absolutely