Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

SettingSun posted:

What are people doing playing hundreds of hours of a game they don't like

Doesn't wholly apply here since that guy appears to dislike recent changes but still

Ask any of your friends that play OverWatch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

I think you're kind of an rear end if you leave a negative review after getting 800 hours out of something.

Seriously, it's doubly funny for a game that is only 25$. It's entertainment at a cost of less than 3 cents an hour. There is no way to leave a bad review at that point and not come off as whiny.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Subjunctive posted:

dopamine addiction, and social pressure, and habit

c'mon play some roguelikes, all the cool kids are doing it

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

I think you're kind of an rear end if you leave a negative review after getting 800 hours out of something, unless it's some really serious BS like a complete pivot into predatory monetization or the addition of invasive DRM.

its just a review

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

spiritual bypass posted:

c'mon play some roguelikes, all the cool kids are doing it

slice & dice…

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Mr Jupiter Hell there reminded me of my review of a thread favourite:

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
ROGUE LIGHT DECK BUILDER, a game in which you build a deck and your light's gone rogue

quote:

my new game ROGUE LIGHT DECK BUILDER is out now

your house needs a deck. you have a hammer. the lightbulb is broken. freedom is $1,000,000.

grab it on itch from the link below

I hope you have fun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FC0QczcuFX0

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

If they wanted to makw money on itch they should sleaze it up, you're doing construction in the red light district with tons of fan service in your rouge light deck builder

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

We got dungeon crawler Humble Bundle

https://www.humblebundle.com/games/...crawlers_bundle

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Lunacid!!!

Fucking Moron
Jan 9, 2009

Are there any rougelike games that have just tons of classes to pick and unlock? I want a game that has absolutely gimmick and joke classes and some that are just outright stupid/useless along with standard classes and OP classes.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Frogcomposband

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Dungeon of Dredmor has gobs of different classes to choose from, but you don't have to do anything to unlock them, they're just what you assemble your character from at the start of the game. You can absolutely make a useless character if you want, just go whole hog on utility classes and neglect any means of actually killing things.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

loving Moron posted:

Are there any rougelike games that have just tons of classes to pick and unlock? I want a game that has absolutely gimmick and joke classes and some that are just outright stupid/useless along with standard classes and OP classes.

it's not really a roguelike but Buriedbornes is this

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.
More thoughts about Achra gods: Angra is another weird one. I can't quite figure out what within the poison/blood line really benefits or synergizes with "all of your allies immediately murder themselves," except I guess maaaaybe Oozemancer? But I already ran an oozemancer, so instead what I latched onto was prayer #3.

What's that you say, a single action that applies sickness to every enemy on the map?

This is actually a very annoying build to get running initially since it doesn't make much sense or work at all until you have both the prestige and prayer 3 up, but once you do: lol. Pray to afflict the entire map, then walk around in a circle generating free damage until you've Shazusa'd your way to victory.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Meowywitch posted:

its just a review

yeah I ain't tryin to hold a congressional hearing about it or anything

Fucking Moron
Jan 9, 2009

Meowywitch posted:

it's not really a roguelike but Buriedbornes is this

Hell yeah. Been playing the sequel a lot.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:

loving Moron posted:

Streets of Rogue?

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

SettingSun posted:

Frogcomposband

Oh poo poo...... I can play this in a browser at work huh

Drone Incognito
Oct 16, 2008

There are no drones here. No way no how.

loving Moron posted:

Have you played ToME? Lots of unlockable classes, although I don't think it has any joke classes

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

gandlethorpe posted:

Streets of Rogue?

yeah this is a great choice, that whole game is about giving you the option to do stupid poo poo

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

King of Bleh posted:

More thoughts about Achra gods: Angra is another weird one. I can't quite figure out what within the poison/blood line really benefits or synergizes with "all of your allies immediately murder themselves," except I guess maaaaybe Oozemancer? But I already ran an oozemancer, so instead what I latched onto was prayer #3.

What's that you say, a single action that applies sickness to every enemy on the map?

This is actually a very annoying build to get running initially since it doesn't make much sense or work at all until you have both the prestige and prayer 3 up, but once you do: lol. Pray to afflict the entire map, then walk around in a circle generating free damage until you've Shazusa'd your way to victory.

very interesting, I haven't had any ideas about Angra either, so I'll have to think on it some.

I just splatted a seemingly strong Saurian Secutor Bolga of Pallas (+Martial) off of the King, although it was going very well up to that point. Huge amounts of damage from lots of different types. I think what failed me in the end was low ice res, because, if you can believe this, Jawharas got me.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Big thanks to whoever it was that posted pokerogue a few pages back. This game is like the perfect distillation of all the good parts of pokemon without the tedium of the exploration and story. I’m having so much fun tearing through wild encounters with mons I hadn’t ever seen or used before. The constant forward pressure, limited starter choices, and random encounters all add up to forcing you to get flexible with whoever interesting shows up regarding team building and movesets. It’s cool! getting random eggs for future starters is very reminiscent of a “good” implementation of metaprog where you absolutely can win the game with only the initial starters, they’re all strong, but having more options is interesting. And the random pickups between battles give the same feel as floor items in a trad rl where the occasional rare drops can sometimes be game changers

However I can’t say you’d have much fun if you somehow have never played a pokemon game… they really just throw you into the deep end.

RubberBands Hurt
Dec 13, 2004

seriously, wtf

Turin Turambar posted:

From action roguelikes:
I've only beaten Hades twice, in no way I've "climbed up" the Heat system.
Dead Cells, I love it, but I only have beaten up to Boss Cell 2. And that was already a arduous task for me.
I played a lot of Gunfire Reborn , and I have reached Reincarnation 3.
I'm in the process of playing Astral Ascent, right now I'm at Destiny Level 4, I think I have to reach 6 to see the true ending.
I beat Risk of Rain 2 a handful of times, but I think in normal mode only once or twice.
I only beat Rogue Legacy 2 because it has some accessibility features (apart from all the metaprogression of course)
I only have beaten Voidigo and Doomsday Hunters on the first difficulty.

This is from the list of games that I really like, once we we out of it... I also have never beaten Enter the Gungeon, Wizard of Legend (these two are HARD games imo), Synthetik, Necrodancer, Deadlink, Ember Knights, Roboquest, Nuclear Throne, etc.

A game that I love and want to play more of, as well as rarely see mentioned, might be up your alley if you're looking for some action: Heat Signature
Also check out Roundguard for something unique.

Turin Turambar posted:

Then from true roguelikes, I only have played and liked enough to beat them a few, like Dredmor and Tangledeep. I liked Slay the Spire and Monster Train, but not as much as to play them again and again and get gud at them, so I only beat them on the first difficulty level.

Golden Krone Hotel is incredibly accessible, has a wonderful consumable system, and is reasonable to complete without having to look anything up.

For odd card games that are pretty satisfying to play through ~once; maybe check out Ring of Pain, Inscryption, Card Quest, Guild of Dungeoneering, or... BLOOD CARD 2: DARK MIST :gibs:

And while I'm scrolling through my list of great RLs I rarely see mentioned, anyone play much MidBoss? I splatted a few runs way back, and it has a neat Demon/Buriedbornes-like ability slotting system.

RubberBands Hurt
Dec 13, 2004

seriously, wtf

TaintedBalance posted:

I view RLs like crossword puzzles or sudoku. I do as much of them as I get out of it, and then drift to something else for awhile and come back. The mastery journey is its own reward, which does compel me to occasionally do challenge runs, but I also don't keep going if it starts feeling overly tedious.

Tametsi (on steam)

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Achra demo's wild, I'm really enjoying it, was skeptical but am now a believer.

stupid idiot question: when would I ever want Inflexibility to be above 1? like sure, all the armor with Inflexibility 1+ is at least reasonably tempting, but halving my speed is not something I'm ever interested in unless I'm tanky enough that I should be able to win without the good armor. what am I missing?

e: oh the below reply also reminds me, are the various unlocks tied to specific requirements or are they just "get X total glory" or something?

DACK FAYDEN fucked around with this message at 22:36 on May 5, 2024

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
There are character creation options that directly benefit from higher inflexibility via stat bonuses or triggers based on it. For example, the Siku race makes it so inflexibility doesn't divide your willpower damage bonus anymore and also shoots ice bolts on stand still/being attacked that do damage based on your inflexibility.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

DACK FAYDEN posted:

stupid idiot question: when would I ever want Inflexibility to be above 1? like sure, all the armor with Inflexibility 1+ is at least reasonably tempting, but halving my speed is not something I'm ever interested in unless I'm tanky enough that I should be able to win without the good armor. what am I missing?

e: oh the below reply also reminds me, are the various unlocks tied to specific requirements or are they just "get X total glory" or something?

Yeah unlocks are just random, keep playing and you'll get them all. As well as a handful of character options and skills that benefit from inflexibility, there are also skills that reduce it, so you can take that armour if you want its effect

Uncle Khasim
Dec 20, 2009

On cycle 1 you may not even have any points in Willpower at all, and speed can’t go below your minimum.

Most builds want Technique anyway so that (and some other skills) pays for the increased inflexibility of certain items as well.i

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

DACK FAYDEN posted:

inflexibility is best treated as a kind of soft cap. there are skills that that reduce inflexibility, so you can wear inflexible armour without actually taking the penalty. Unless you're playing the ice guys or going all in on super heavy armour and maxing strength, inflexibility above 1 is basically a death sentence.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Aside from the various ways to mitigate the downside, inflexibility actually increases block, so a character who wants to stack block to the moon (Pallas, the "Valr" culture) has upside from taking it.

Amuys
Jan 2, 2017

Muuch Muuch

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Some stuff scales with it. Some builds that revolve around passing turns like Dreamer are also fine with low speed.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I enjoy glacier builds in Achra

Amuys
Jan 2, 2017

Muuch Muuch

SettingSun posted:

I enjoy glacier builds in Achra

This is one of the games where you can literally play a glacier too!

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
ROGUE-FP with a Getting There v2.3 update:

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/2343160/view/4211505228614779373

quote:

NEW IN THIS UPDATE:

Monster bits can now be hacked off of monsters and attached to your armor
Each monster has a unique bit with a unique ability
Attaching two of the same kind of monster bit will increase your AC by 1
Some bits have a ability that requires the them to be charged. Bits can only be charged when attached to the armor you are currently wearing
Monsters have a chance to damage them so you will have to decide if its worth exposing them to use them or not
Some have secret effects that are not listed in their descriptions

1 new potion -potion of intoxication that the player starts with, temporarily increases strength and reduces damage
Completely reworked the player inventory
If an item has a description, it can be viewed by pressing the ? button on the inventory.
Items with charged effects can be activated by pressing the * button on the inventory.
Nymphs will no longer disappear after stealing your magic items, instead they will run away
New screen wipe when starting the game
EASY MODDING OF THE PLAYER MAP SPRITE - just drag and drop any image called player.png or player.jpg into your user directory. Make sure the file name is all lower case letters.

JUST GETTING STARTED

Version 2.3 is finally out!
Only now are we just starting to scratch the surface of what I have planned for ROGUE-FP. In this update the player can now take advantage of the bits you've been hacking off of monsters. The inventory UI has been redone so that items can now have sub-inventories. This needed to be done so that armor can now hold the monster bits you've been hacking off.
Each monster has its own bit and each bit has its own ability. ABILITIES ALSO STACK. So for example if you have two bat ears attached to your armor, the radius for detecting walls will be double compared to if you had just one attached. Same goes for three. Right now monster bits can only have one ability but I may change that in the future as more features are added to the game and new features end up outpacing new monsters being added.

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Bjorn you glad I didn't say banana?
Hades 2 just entered early access.

Now I have to wrestle with the dilemma of waiting until it's more complete, or jumping in now because I love Hades so much.

Edit: I caved and bought it now.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I have extremely mixed feelings about a game as a big as Hades 2 being an EA game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SettingSun posted:

I have extremely mixed feelings about a game as a big as Hades 2 being an EA game.

The original was an early access game too.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Yeah and it ruled. I bought it day 1 back on EGS, no regrets tbh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Yeah but I didn't know that and played it well after it hit 1.0!