Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Vermain posted:

considering their balance solution to the predominance of dive comps was to put brigitte in the game, it's perhaps better that they didn't
I never really minded Brigette and definitely would not have minded a hero that specifically hard countered double shield.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I wasn't around for goats and oppressive brig so the idea of her being meta dominating seems adorable to me

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

I wasn't around for goats and oppressive brig so the idea of her being meta dominating seems adorable to me

You missed out on release brig being able to 1v1 rein.

What a time.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

They tried having an explicit anti-shield hero, in the form of Symmetra, but then they pussied out and reverted it because they realized that they weren't up for putting any effort into balancing that.

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

Go back to two tanks, but increase the number of dps & supports to 4 of each

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I wonder if you could resolve the DPS queue issue by adding some fun DPS-only gamemode.

Or...you know...by adding enough Tanks and Supports so that people would actually be interested in playing those roles, instead of having more DPs characters than Tanks and Supports combined, but that's clearly too difficult.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Lube Enthusiast posted:

Go back to two tanks, but increase the number of dps & supports to 4 of each

8v8 (2 tanks, 3 supp 3 dps per team) would unironically probably work better than 5v5.

But really, 6v6 with everything being in equilibrium will always be the best.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

6v6 but you're only allowed to pick one shield tank.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
The idea is that if 6v6 were to come back, there only would be 1 shield tank. Ram and Sig would need to be reworked.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

BabyRyoga posted:

The idea is that if 6v6 were to come back, there only would be 1 shield tank. Ram and Sig would need to be reworked.

I think the game is fine with multiple shield tank options, and those two examples would work fine in 6v6 provided there isn't another shield tank

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I mean, they changed Orisa, who was the main issue with it. Too late by then, though.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

there should be 0 shield tanks

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Splitting the Tank role into "Main Tank" and "Off Tank" roles, and keeping all the shield tanks in the "Main Tank" role would've been the correct way to solve the tank problem.

Of course that's only if you were primarily interested in making a good game, which has nothing to do with the reason why 5v5 change was implemented.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Something like shotguns do double damage to shields. Done. Sorry you can't play widow/ashe.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Endorph posted:

Sigma is a well designed hero, and tbh so is Rammatra.

tyrelhill
Jul 30, 2006
maybe create two new classes inbetween dps/tank and dps/healer, move the heros that fit that over like doom and illiari (and make them a bit dps) and its 5v5 one of each class

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick
Bell curve image where both ends of the graph are "bring back 6v6" and the middle part is the last few posts.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Endorph posted:

this is correct

barriers are awful

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

All 4 parts of the rein/zar/ana/lucio combo are the most fun multiplayer video game that has ever been created. Don't care what the damage role is doing.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

headcase posted:

All 4 parts of the rein/zar/ana/lucio combo are the most fun multiplayer video game that has ever been created. Don't care what the damage role is doing.

I can get behind most of that.

I don't know if i'd say it's the most fun multiplayer video game ever created, but the best state OW has ever been in IMO was like a month or two after Ana's release. The game was still fresh and Ana was / still is probably the best DLC character they ever added to the game; she fits in so perfectly in every way without disrupting too many things. I wonder why they didn't try to roll out characters with more anti-heal or even cleanse effects earlier on in the life of the game. They had fresh ideas with Sombra and Doom that ended up being problematic in a lot of ways, and original Orisa was just pretty uninspired.

There was a patch that a lot of content creators really seemed to like, and mention again and again as their favorite state OW was in - one of the late-year patches towards the end of 2020, I'm pretty sure I didn't actually play this patch because I was on a cross-country vacation for like a month and a half the week it hit, and was pretty busy for months afterwards with other things. They essentially had 6v6 mostly figured out, and finally addressed GOATs, however, that was around (or shortly after) when a lot of the news about the internal workings of Blizz being rotten was coming out.

It's unfortunate how all this unfolded; nothing good really became of OW2 as in the end it was just the AAA game equivalent of a rug-pull, when you consider they knew internally that they had no idea to actually follow through on what was initially promised, yet played it off like they did to get more people to play their neutered game fake relaunch.

BabyRyoga fucked around with this message at 20:59 on May 5, 2024

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODfJjpcONq0

and furthermore, lmao

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.
*slams fat fistful of bills on Blizzard's counter*

GIVE ME TEN

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Gonna shame and report anyone I see with that skin

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

BabyRyoga posted:

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Slowly approaching the point where the POTG's will involve characters drinking Pepsin and trying to sell you Doritos.

Zet
Aug 3, 2010

Jack Trades posted:

Slowly approaching the point where the POTG's will involve characters drinking Pepsin and trying to sell you Doritos.

And a leaver penalty if you try to skip out on those specifically.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Press Q to activate your hero's Ultimate Mountain Dew Extreme Blast

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Drink your Monster Energy Crystal White can to be able to activate your ultimate.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

BabyRyoga posted:

Maybe it'll be like the Fortnite car skins and be hilariously overpriced.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

DVA shouldn't have any skins, but you should be able to choose four sprays to apply to her mech like racing car sponsor decals

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Overwatch 2: Unfortunately, Pharah will receive the second Porsche collab skin.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Unfortunately . Pharah will receive the second Legendary Posche collab skin . A tea'ser on the Battlenet launcher confirmed this.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

saw this rant on youtube about 5v5 and a lot of ramblings itt and i agree 6v6 is a funner and superior game, but i think a lot of people forgot why ow moved to 5v5:

people would not click tank

any solution you propose would need to solve people not clicking tank
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQHS9bD_IvQ

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Yeah, it's kinda one of those things where given 5v5 and 6v6 both being meticulously balanced to perfection, 6v6 would be unequivocally better 100% of the time, because it eliminates the fundamental imbalance of 1 role being significantly more powerful than the other two. But, you would still have to solve the problem of people wanting to play each role equally.

It's hard to look back and not agree that even in its best state, OW is always a game that has had sleeper design problems that became more and more apparent over time, while also compounding.

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010
Winner of January '10 Lux Aeterna "Best 2010 Poster" Award
I seem to recall that, at some point, there was cosideration to have "flex" positions in competitive - so that a team was required to have 1 of each role, but never more than 3 tanks or 3 supports.

Obviously it did not pan out like that, given how a team of 4 dps could be super squishy, but I wonder if consideration of that sort of arrangement could work with today's roster of heroes...

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.
SVB recently suggested keeping 5v5 but making base format open queue max 2 any role. So e.g. 2 tanks 2 dps 1 supp, 1 tank 2 dps 2 supp. Upside, much easier match-making and doing away with per-role rank. Downside, first in best dressed each lobby. There are ways to mitigate this such as a random selection priority order each match - personally I think this might just be an answer. But who knows.

We're going to find out if megabuffing tanks makes the role more appealing to people in less than 2 days in any case - somehow I doubt that's the long term solution. But we'll see.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

SadisTech posted:

SVB recently suggested keeping 5v5 but making base format open queue max 2 any role. So e.g. 2 tanks 2 dps 1 supp, 1 tank 2 dps 2 supp. Upside, much easier match-making and doing away with per-role rank. Downside, first in best dressed each lobby. There are ways to mitigate this such as a random selection priority order each match - personally I think this might just be an answer. But who knows.

We're going to find out if megabuffing tanks makes the role more appealing to people in less than 2 days in any case - somehow I doubt that's the long term solution. But we'll see.

This will just lead to pre roll queue days of everyone arguing that someone else should be support, also skills vary per rank wildly so I really think per role rank has helped team balance in the long term. I very much want 2 tanks spots back though.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

SadisTech posted:

That wouldn't work at all, you'd have 2 tanks, 2 supp, 1 dps nearly every single time, because tanks are way stronger stats wise than non-tanks, and supports have the most broken abilities from a power-level perspective of all roles. Maybe in more casual games it could go other ways, but the "meta" so to speak would be 2 tanks 2 supp like 99% of the time.

It would probably work if the game were never converted from 6v6 to 5v5, and still used OW1 characters, because there was that fundamental balance between roles where specific heroes could counter other specific heroes, but specific roles couldn't necessarily counter other specific roles.

edit: consider the question, why would you ever play Soldier if you could just play Bap instead?

BabyRyoga fucked around with this message at 23:47 on May 12, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aexo
May 16, 2007
Don't ask, I don't know how to pronounce my name either.
Do non-role queue tanks still have the additional HP/armor that role queue tanks do? I thought they changed it, but that could just be an arcade or mystery heroes thing.