Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I've been doing a Durge playthrough when my brother isn't around for our main playthrough, doing the opposite choices but man... I feel like I really should be having Wyll, Karlach and Gale along to also be horrified with my urge shenanigans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

Wondering who in camp is responsible for lugging around my giant, naked statue.

edit: holy poo poo, the statue gives you permanent bless? that's loving insane

Janissary Hop fucked around with this message at 03:13 on May 5, 2024

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

With the way XP scaling works in this game either you'll do absolutely everything there is to do and hit Level 10 at the very end of Act 2, or miss a lot and hit Level 10 within the first 30 minutes of Act 3.

I always seem to be *just* short of leveling up before the final boss of the crèche and again in act 2, which is frustrating but not a deal breaker by any means. I’m sure it comes from playing risk averse on honor mode. I can think of a handful of things I intentionally skipped cause it wasn’t worth the chance of wiping.

It was funny to roll into act 3 and immediately level up because discovering a place gave me like 1500 xp :stonklol: The scaling is nutty as you said. Inspiration xp goes up like 3x too.

rojay
Sep 2, 2000

Reveilled posted:

Finished Honour Mode and got my golden dice, zero chomped tadpoles :toot:

Nice.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

if you do everything, you can actually hit level 10 before going down the final act 2 area and be halfway through by the end :smugdog:

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!

Trevor Hale posted:

Yeah I meant Ketheric’s room and his very good dog who smells Scratch on you if you offer him your ball and says that there is a very happy dog in your life.

And also all of the letters in that bedroom are very useful

Odd, I didn't run into the dog until I actually went up to fight on the rooftop. :iiam:

Anyways, Minthara is making me kind of wish I'd gone for Great Weapon + Oath of Vengeance on Zehra because, uh, she kinda deletes people when she gets in range. [see fig.7 posted below] Granted, Oath of the Ancients + 1H and shield is a lot more durable and has a good panic button heal...but those nukes are, indeed, nuclear. Is Vow of Emnity supposed to be used on the caster? Because that seems kinda weird, though I'm not gonna complain about advantage on all attack rolls for 10 turns.

SHARRAN GAUNTLET ZONE ACT 2
and HADAR'S ACOLYTE YOU CAN EAT BUFFET

if nothing else, this place certainly looks cool, and I do appreciate that there's incense absolutely everywhere, as you'd expect from the goth gf religion
apparently you're supposed to be able to see the translucent floor if you cast a light spell, but either they changed that or it doesn't work on Intel graphics. eh, it wasn't too bad regardless

you know, I honestly didn't expect Shadowheart to throw the spear away, since I very intentionally didn't push her in either direction.
she did kind of have that air of preaching her religion constantly to mask her own doubts, and I guess that was intentional!
also, poor shadowheart. you're not alone, we like you! :smith: Karlach's little "it's up to us to look after her now" spiel was pretty heartwarming, no pun intended.

the two tower fights were chaotic as gently caress even with Wyll's Hunger of Hadar severely crippling the pack.
I was desperately hoping to knock one of the adepts out of concentration on their Hunger of Hadar so the friendly NPCs would stop killing themselves.
instead, Minthara (wielding a purple-tier halberd I forgot the name of) just loving deleted him in one hit. good job.
and speaking of Characters I Just Don't Like, dropping a searing smite on Z'rell's smug rear end was pretty satisfying.

at this point, smacking ketheric is going to feel like a mercy killing.
relatedly, is that huge encampment you can see off the west side of the map supposed to be his army? i saw that earlier and was wondering what it was.

assorted images go here. the owlbear cub is now a full-time follower, so I can pet him and scratch any time! :toot:
also I didn't really talk to Minthara in camp until now, and she's already grown on me as a character. she is very direct and also good at killing things.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Yeah, the fun thing about Shadowheart is that if you leave the decision completely up to her, she will always throw the spear away, even if you've been completely supportive of the Shar stuff. She'll only actually stab the Nightsong if you push her to do it... which, considering what happens when Shadowheart stabs her, is honestly a very good thing.

And yes, that big huge encampment is the Army of the Absolute. If you try to head out that way, the game calls you an idiot then asks if you still want to do it. Then you just die if you still go.

And yes, Minthara is a very interesting character. She's the closest you get to an all-out Evil companion, even moreso than Astarion... but she still has some interesting opinions.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Shadowheart will still elect to stab Nightsong if your relationship with her is below Good when you allow her to decide. This is unlikely to happen though given the sheer amount of Shadowheart approval content in a normal playthrough.

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

Is Vow of Emnity supposed to be used on the caster? Because that seems kinda weird, though I'm not gonna complain about advantage on all attack rolls for 10 turns.

No? Kind of? It's a known bug and has been since launch but has never been patched out so for your purposes, as the player, yes absolutely it's meant to be used on the caster.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

Shadowheart will still elect to stab Nightsong if your relationship with her is below Good when you allow her to decide. This is unlikely to happen though given the sheer amount of Shadowheart approval content in a normal playthrough.

If you are a cruel rear end in a top hat and you habitually back Lae'zel you could probably get there.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

apparently you're supposed to be able to see the translucent floor if you cast a light spell, but either they changed that or it doesn't work on Intel graphics. eh, it wasn't too bad regardless

The best part is that if you simply click on the destination, your character will happily walk over there :lol: Even though you can't see the path.

(at least, it worked for me. Probably split the party and only have one person do it just in case)

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
yeah, on Steam Deck the first two times, the floor was easy to spot. no issue. this third time, completely invisible, and Im not really sure how to target it?

I took a pic of the map on my phone and inched over there, and alas, still died four times

reminiscent of that one jumping puzzle in Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance 1 lol

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I've been to that spot in the game like 6 times and I still can't figure out what makes the floor appear or sometimes not appear lol. It has nothing to do with the light sources in the room or on Shadowheart, I know that for sure.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

I used the eversight ring so I could just fly into the darkness clouds. I knew this bag of rings would come in handy!

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Between the invisible path puzzle bugging out on me and the elevator dropping characters to their death, I always just get the one orb from Yurgir and go cast knock on the door. Much simpler.

exquisite tea posted:

Yeah my relationship with her was only "Good" and this worked just fine, and that was from pretty much only having her in the group until I met Karlach.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Black Noise posted:

I used the eversight ring so I could just fly into the darkness clouds. I knew this bag of rings would come in handy!

a big bag of assorted rings and necklaces is a pro strat. weighs almost nothing, you can swap them out on the fly as the need arises.

highly recommended

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
The surgeon paralysis ring and the crit ring are a wonderful ring bag combo

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
I have let her choose and she chose violence on a play through where I just didn’t talk to her much. If you don’t have a definitely positive relationship with her then you should give her a nudge just in case. She just needs to feel like she has something (or someone) else to believe in, even just a little bit.

Must be hard to keep worshippers as the Goddess of Nihilism. Someone make the guy turning around meme with the woman walking to the camera labeled “Not Being Miserable”

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

wizard2 posted:

a big bag of assorted rings and necklaces is a pro strat. weighs almost nothing, you can swap them out on the fly as the need arises.

highly recommended

yup. never sell rings or amulets, just shove them in the magic stuff bag.

OzFactor posted:

I have let her choose and she chose violence on a play through where I just didn’t talk to her much. If you don’t have a definitely positive relationship with her then you should give her a nudge just in case. She just needs to feel like she has something (or someone) else to believe in, even just a little bit.

Must be hard to keep worshippers as the Goddess of Nihilism. Someone make the guy turning around meme with the woman walking to the camera labeled “Not Being Miserable”

"not being miserable" is shar though. her whole thing is appealing to miserable people and replacing the misery, and everything, else with nothing.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
I just wish there was a way to name bags so that I can tell at a glance which bag is which. Or did I manage to spend 140 hours overlooking that?

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

NeurosisHead posted:

I just wish there was a way to name bags so that I can tell at a glance which bag is which. Or did I manage to spend 140 hours overlooking that?

afaik, right now, there isnt. there's a few containers with more unique names and icons, so I just keep an eye out

this sort of thing is trivially easy to do with mods tho to the point there is a ludicrously extreme overkill DOS2 official Larian mod for more tedious inventory management than you could ever hope or dream of

what's mildly amusing to me is that there very specifically ISN'T a Bag of Holding or Handy Haversack or the like in BG3 or a magic bag salesman 10 minutes before the Point Of No Return, because part of the Dungeons & Dragons brand stretching back to the late 1970's was lovely Emcumbrance rules and living and dying by inventory management and having nifty magic loot that bypasses all that to strive for. there was that chest that weighed a flat 100 lbs that got patched to act correct too!

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I've noticed alchemy materials being scattered amongst the party. When using alchemy does it matter which character is active and where the materials are?

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Dick Trauma posted:

I've noticed alchemy materials being scattered amongst the party. When using alchemy does it matter which character is active and where the materials are?

unless Im doing something weird, on my current run, yes. I am having to funnel all materials to one dude.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
Get a transmutation wizard hireling and funnel all the alchemy stuff to them

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
Regarding solutions for Yurgir in Shar's Temple

I've read that you can cast calm emotions on his displacer beast after interacting with the spoiled spider meat and convince it to attack Yurgir

Typically, I've just gone in and killed all of Yurgir and his goons without discussion. Talking with him this time, I simply convinced him to kill all of the Merregon, his displacer beast, and then himself.

That's one way to handle things apparently.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
in the temple, I started killing rats which lead to an interesting encounter that awarded a badass Scimitar with Blind, and all the devil dudes chilled.... but I wanted them dead anyway for Ascension Astarion as a ridiculous Monk so :shrug:

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

Nihonniboku posted:

Regarding solutions for Yurgir in Shar's Temple

I've read that you can cast calm emotions on his displacer beast after interacting with the spoiled spider meat and convince it to attack Yurgir

Typically, I've just gone in and killed all of Yurgir and his goons without discussion. Talking with him this time, I simply convinced him to kill all of the Merregon, his displacer beast, and then himself.

That's one way to handle things apparently.

I cannot believe just how many weird differeny ways there are of addressing each encounter good lord.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
dark urge spoiler question:the slash goblin has just asked me to kill isobel - do i have to do this by hand or can i have shadowheart stab dame aylin and let the darkness do its thing?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

tarbrush posted:

Get a transmutation wizard hireling and funnel all the alchemy stuff to them

From Reddit posted:

Start with the Hireling (Halfing) Brinna Brightsong, then get her Level 2 (Respec) and make sure you pick medicine proficiency and get wisdom to 16, and pick Wizard (Transmuter). Then pick up Bard again at level 3, and put your points into medicine. Then keep going until Level 3 lore bard, and put points into Medicine again when promoted for proficiency. Then go back into Wizard until you get Level 6 wizard. By Level 9 you should be Wizard (Transmuter) 6/Bard (Lore) 3.

On Reddit I found these instructions. I'm trying to follow along and if you respec to get the medicine skill and boost Wisdom it takes you back to L1 bard. So I do that , get medicine and pump Wisdom to 16, and confirm, now it's ready for my L2 choices, where I think I choose Wizard and the transmutation school from the multiclass button. I had another level ready so I switch back to Bard and pick College of Lore and click the little check box to boost Medicine, and at that point I'm out of stored levels. The hireling is an L3 bard L2 wizard (transmutation). So... as I level my regular party I should level this camp hireling in Wizard exclusively? Do I have to wait until they reach L3 Bard L6 Wizard to start making potions?

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Dick Trauma posted:

On Reddit I found these instructions. I'm trying to follow along and if you respec to get the medicine skill and boost Wisdom it takes you back to L1 bard. So I do that , get medicine and pump Wisdom to 16, and confirm, now it's ready for my L2 choices, where I think I choose Wizard and the transmutation school from the multiclass button. I had another level ready so I switch back to Bard and pick College of Lore and click the little check box to boost Medicine, and at that point I'm out of stored levels. The hireling is an L3 bard L2 wizard (transmutation). So... as I level my regular party I should level this camp hireling in Wizard exclusively? Do I have to wait until they reach L3 Bard L6 Wizard to start making potions?

here's the thing: do not stress so much it bc it doesnt matter so much. a crafter is just nice to have. in Baldur's Gate 3, the sooner you use consumables, the better, because they do end up being outclassed. for example, if you stockpile mats and wait until max level to craft the absolute maximum amount of Light Healing Potions you're really not going to get any mileage out of them. also if you craft 3 Elixirs of Bloodlust vs 4, that is also not going to matter much, because there are also plenty of vendors along the way and you will likely beat the game with gold in surplus. so just have at it. craft now, burn through your consumables now as the situation calls for it, it is a fun way to play.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Dick Trauma posted:

You get the feat at wizard level 2, you can start making potions at that point. You don't have to wait for anything else.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

I just respecc'd them to have 16 wis and picked medicine prof and cast guidance on them and it was fine. They didn't pass all the checks but the majority they did. The higher level gives a higher proficiency bonus but at a certain point if you wait that long you've missed all the times you could have used the potions.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I took the advice and started cranking out some alchemy. A few doubled items, which is nice. I went back into the Underdark and the place is so large that it made me wonder if I should stay down here until there's no more quests, or head back up to the surface quests. I feel like it's okay to be down here but I'm still getting used to this game.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Dick Trauma posted:

for your alchemist, you want Brinna because halflings reroll on a 1. you want her to have two levels in transmutation wizard, because they make double potions on a successful medicine roll. you want her to have max wisdom, because medicine is a wisdom roll. you want her to have levels in lore bard because you want proficiency and expertise in medicine, and bards get that early. the final thing you want is the enhance ability spell so you get advantage on wisdom rolls. this will succeed nearly every medicine check. have someone toss guidance on her too.

how you put that together isn't really important. I generally just soak up ingredients until level 8 or so for double wisdom ASI feats and make a big batch, then another big batch in act 3.

edit: you can get a ton of bang for your buck if you remember to check vendors for ingredients like hyena ears and cloud giant fingers. potion ingredients show up before the potions themselves for an easy power boost, and there's a neat weapon coating that doesn't drop organically made from frost salamander tongues.

Zodium fucked around with this message at 22:04 on May 5, 2024

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
I just beat Baldur's Gate 3 for a third time as The Dark Urge! I kind of put a rush on it before Patch 7 hit, since that will expand the evil endings.

:siren:MAJOR ENDING SPOILERS:siren:
read on at thine own peril, ye who considers themself a noob.....

I made a save right before I landed the killing blow on the final threat and went through with my intended ending for the character: I took control of the Netherbrain, which, interestingly enough, was NOT significantly different than my previous run, where I had Astarion take control of the Netherbrain! Having seen it play out twice on two different characters, that is really awesome that Larian is redoing this!

However, I went back, Content Warninging this lmao, killed the Netherbrain again, but this time, I defied Bhaal at the last moment. The game warned me that the penalty for this would be really bad. It was also completely out of character. So I am being Dragged To Hell and the option for suicide presents itself. But what I was NOT prepared for seeing in my life today was a reference to the ending of the 1988 sicko movie Nekromantik. :barf: wow! video games ftw

also, here's a fun bit of reactivity:

So, throughout Act 3, I am siding with Gortash, which is kind of tricky, since you have to go out of your way to leave some side quests unsatisfyingly unresolved, and then deal with his trickery once you hand him Orin's plot device gem.

but there's a moment where he and you are about to talk to the Netherbrain together, where he's just kind of chilling out? all by his lonesome? and if you get into range, I presume, he starts talking to you, leading up to a betrayal or whatever. but what I did there was go into Turn Based Mode, had Laezel use her Fear Arrows on him, closed the gap with my Monk Astarion, stunlocked tf out of him, and finished him off. he did not have a chance to talk or fight back or Hulk Out! the game actually recognized I did this with a small unremarkable cutscene of me looting his un-Hulked corpse where I defeated him in this small grody hallway.
pretty cool!

wizard2 fucked around with this message at 22:01 on May 5, 2024

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Eau de MacGowan posted:

dark urge spoiler question:the slash goblin has just asked me to kill isobel - do i have to do this by hand or can i have shadowheart stab dame aylin and let the darkness do its thing?

It specifically has to be you since she's not there if shart does the thing instead. But it's still the same result for Last Light anyway so you'd think it wouldent matter to Fel so much :shrug:

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

The Shame Boy posted:

It specifically has to be you since she's not there if shart does the thing instead. But it's still the same result for Last Light anyway so you'd think it wouldent matter to Fel so much :shrug:

you can trick Jahiera into joining for a bit, setting her up for a bigger fall later, if that mattera :)

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

wizard2 posted:

So, throughout Act 3, I am siding with Gortash, which is kind of tricky, since you have to go out of your way to leave some side quests unsatisfyingly unresolved, and then deal with his trickery once you hand him Orin's plot device gem.

but there's a moment where he and you are about to talk to the Netherbrain together, where he's just kind of chilling out? all by his lonesome? and if you get into range, I presume, he starts talking to you, leading up to a betrayal or whatever. but what I did there was go into Turn Based Mode, had Laezel use her Fear Arrows on him, closed the gap with my Monk Astarion, stunlocked tf out of him, and finished him off. he did not have a chance to talk or fight back or Hulk Out! the game actually recognized I did this with a small unremarkable cutscene of me looting his un-Hulked corpse where I defeated him in this small grody hallway.
pretty cool!

Trip report - I did the same (and entirely accidentally on my first run) and trusted him simply because he's an arsehole, but he's never actually treacherous - To me he was a known quantity verus a greater problem. And he doesn't betray you then either - He actually fights the Brain with you then dies against it!

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Shockeh posted:

Trip report - I did the same (and entirely accidentally on my first run) and trusted him simply because he's an arsehole, but he's never actually treacherous - To me he was a known quantity verus a greater problem. And he doesn't betray you then either - He actually fights the Brain with you then dies against it!

cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Well that's a huge load off. Honor mode done :slick: Feels very good man

Massive caveat that I did the bare minimum in act 3 to get over the finish line but it felt almost inevitable once I got past that rear end in a top hat act 2 end boss. At no time was I seriously worried about wiping whereas I spent most of acts 1 and 2 in low key terror. By the time level 10 hits you're extremely powerful and the game starts showering you in OP loot and infinite money and it all snowballs. I was nervous about the 2 murder god bosses but lol they both died before getting a turn.

The ending was... odd with so many plot threads left unresolved. Brutal but understandable was Shadowheart leaving me after our post-Netherbrain gently caress to go figure her poo poo out because we didn't do House of Grief :smith:. Lae'zel was also extremely mad at me in the moment but weirdly sentimental in the epilogue.

REALLY wish I hadn't hosed up the Tiefling achievement because that and "evilest possible Durge choices" are about all I have left and I think those are incompatible.

Need to take a breather but I look forward to a completionist HM run at some point to see all the optional bosses. Not sure if I will do "real" HM again or just run the mod that's HM but no save limitations.

edit: hmm some time on google makes me think I can thread the needle of getting all my remaining achievements in one more run if I cheese just right. Maybe when the next patch drops.

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 08:53 on May 6, 2024