Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

I've had a PSN account falsely claiming that I live in the US for over a decade. I don't think anyone cares very much.

(Originally set it up because it used to be much cheaper to buy games from the US PSN store but then Brexit happened and the value of the pound tanked so hard that there's no appreciable difference)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Quote-Unquote posted:

I've had a PSN account falsely claiming that I live in the US for over a decade. I don't think anyone cares very much.

(Originally set it up because it used to be much cheaper to buy games from the US PSN store but then Brexit happened and the value of the pound tanked so hard that there's no appreciable difference)

I think it's less about whether or not they care, but whether or not they will ever care. And since Sony is inherently untrustworthy, it's entirely likely that someday they decide to actually enforce that part of the ToS despite not doing so for basically ever.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Actually seems kind of unlikely that Sony would close off a revenue stream for no particular reason

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Angry_Ed posted:

I think it's less about whether or not they care, but whether or not they will ever care. And since Sony is inherently untrustworthy, it's entirely likely that someday they decide to actually enforce that part of the ToS despite not doing so for basically ever.

that's not very convincing to me. i think it'd be basically fine as it has been for 15 years

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
I dont the Psn account is the big deal here, I think it’s more about buying the game now in unsupported regions. The other part now is that buying from unsupported regions on steam is tricky.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
"Entirely likely" was probably too strong a phrase.

Grayshift
May 31, 2013
Sony isn't hiding under the bridge like a troll to leap out and shout 'gotcha!' for lying about their location for a PSN account. But they are likely obligated to ban people if that information comes to their attention.

It makes the whole "just link a fake burner to your steam account, bro" advice sound like the wisdom of a boyfriend/girlfriend getting tattoos of each others names for their two-weeks-iversary.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

johnny park posted:

Actually seems kind of unlikely that Sony would close off a revenue stream for no particular reason

The reason is they don't legally operate in those countries so they can ignore any court or regulatory dealings from those countries.

If they actually find out you're there they'd need to ban you to keep the charade up. So while theyre likely to not actually "care" and won't "look", if you cause a stink they will really have no option to do so.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Risky Bisquick posted:

I dont the Psn account is the big deal here, I think it’s more about buying the game now in unsupported regions. The other part now is that buying from unsupported regions on steam is tricky.

Steam will basically always give refunds on games that become region locked as it doesn't hurt steams bottom line to do so - they pay refunds against future sales of the game.

This costs sony more money as they need to sell 1.6 copies of the game per refund as steam takes 30% of each sale and dont refund the 30% from the sale they're refunding.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

I just want to say that there's risk in sheep-brigading around, especially if it gets like to SWATting Devs depth, just to feel like you're making a difference in the gaming industry. It's 2024, so just be wary, because there's always a chance that it's someone's (faux or friendly) corpo-opposition poo poo.

Warad
Aug 10, 2019

Doctor Zero posted:

Oooh look it all these posts. I wonder if there’s details on the new warbo…

:yikes:

The only detail you need to know is the Snowtrooper getup that's coming with it. (and the Deathtrooper looking helmet for one of the other sets that looks like it could fit with some custom pairings really well)

As for the whole PSN region loophole, as far as I know there hasn't really been a case of Sony outright banning someone for putting in the "wrong country", customer service issues and the like yes, but not just outright losing the account unless there was your typical bannable offense paired with it. But of course, there's nothing stopping them from doing so in the future so people have a right to be cautious on that front and Sony should be a lot more direct in addressing this.

Honestly why they haven't allowed the compromise of keeping it optional but you lose out in crossplay and cross-progression already is beyond me,

Warad fucked around with this message at 17:22 on May 5, 2024

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Doctor Zero posted:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Doctor Zero posted:

there's guns probably

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 17:31 on May 5, 2024

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

johnny park posted:

If they start serving new areas, closing those accounts opens new revenue streams as people would have to buy their favorite games again.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!
I may have missed it among all the PSN chat, but did something change with Scout Striders? I swear a few days ago I could two tap them with the autocannon regardless of where the shots were placed (or single shot kill with a well placed shot). Yesterday I had many of them taking 3-4 autocannon hits and still standing.

My friend I was playing with said something similar about his Erupter shots versus Scout Striders.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Scout striders have an improved explosion resistance buff. Shoot the hip like always

Risky Bisquick fucked around with this message at 17:59 on May 5, 2024

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Risky Bisquick posted:

Scout striders have a explosion resistance buff. Shoot the hip like always

Was that increased or changed recently? It certainly felt different.

Edit: Saw your edit that answered. Welp, that sucks, but they were pretty trivial beforehand versus an autocannon.

incogneato fucked around with this message at 18:01 on May 5, 2024

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

I liked hitting the lip of the top plate to catapult the pilot though :argh:

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

FWIW the railgun now one-shots striders with no overcharge after the latest armor penetration buff

thotsky posted:

If they start serving new areas, closing those accounts opens new revenue streams as people would have to buy their favorite games again.

Sorry, can you clarify what you mean? Are you saying they would ban people's accounts so that they could then force them to create new ones and re-buy their games? That seems wildly unlikely

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

Black Noise posted:

I liked hitting the lip of the top plate to catapult the pilot though :argh:

Ricochets are a problem now, seems risky

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
So what are you supposed to do when you drop in on a jammer that has a walker and 2 tanks guarding it, with a gunship factory and artillery base nearby? Other than die I mean

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

johnny park posted:

FWIW the railgun now one-shots striders with no overcharge after the latest armor penetration buff

Sorry, can you clarify what you mean? Are you saying they would ban people's accounts so that they could then force them to create new ones and re-buy their games? That seems wildly unlikely

Railgun has good matchups against lots of automatons units but it is soooo slow and it’s bad vs gunships

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Grayshift posted:

It makes the whole "just link a fake burner to your steam account, bro" advice sound like the wisdom of a boyfriend/girlfriend getting tattoos of each others names for their two-weeks-iversary.

I have read the whole thread and this post stays on top. Thanks for the comedy image :D

If I where a mafia boss, I would introduce you to my only daughter.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

last night i was shooting bugs with the eruptor and a bunch of warrior bugs (the next level after, i guess, hunters) were crawling onto the evac area and i shot at one of the concrete barriers to break it and of course i got ricocheted. i survived though.

yeah, i'm glad they're changing this.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

So what are you supposed to do when you drop in on a jammer that has a walker and 2 tanks guarding it, with a gunship factory and artillery base nearby? Other than die I mean

No fabricator on the jammer and no nades / eruptor? Run out of jamming range and reinforce leapfrog until you get your call ins

But if you are the host and aren’t trying to deal with all that you could just abandon mission with squad.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Black Noise posted:

No fabricator on the jammer and no nades / eruptor? Run out of jamming range and reinforce leapfrog until you get your call ins

But if you are the host and aren’t trying to deal with all that you could just abandon mission with squad.

Never give up. You will likely die a horrible lonely death but if you pull it off it will be legendary and you’ll never forget.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Pilot your new Helldiver as far away from the jammer as you can after you die

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

The hulk, three rocket devastators, and 12 troopers turning to look at you as you emerge from the pod

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Risky Bisquick posted:

Ricochets are a problem now, seems risky
More than the accounts thing, someone on the team clearly in love with scout striders and "Wasted ammo isn't enough of a punishment!" mindsets are part of why I'm taking a break.

They are not the biggest threat on the field, but all the extra hoops and perks they get just keep bothering me. I wonder if backpack drones still aim at their seat refusing to shoot an inch higher to kill the pilot if you are behind them while reloading?

Section Z fucked around with this message at 18:31 on May 5, 2024

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Doctor Zero posted:

Never give up. You will likely die a horrible lonely death but if you pull it off it will be legendary and you’ll never forget.

If I get dropped mid match into an empty lobby I’ll do it. If I’ve got 3 people backseating me on voice naaaaah. That poo poo was annoying back in Ocarina of Time I don’t have to live this way anymore.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
Gave the Adjudicator another go.

Still hate it.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

the scout strider change is cool and good. things that were good against scout striders are still good against scout striders, but there's a bit more effort involved and you are more rewarded for skill.

The best situation here is dropping directly on the jammer, as its pretty speedy to simply disable it at the console or to land on the factory next to the jammer ( if it has one). I did this a couple days ago pretty successfully (well, no artillery base.) The console itself is usually well protected from enemy fire by elevation and blocking structures.

If you're *next* to the jammer...better luck next life?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

johnny park posted:

The hulk, three rocket devastators, and 12 troopers turning to look at you as you emerge from the pod

Literally what happened lmao. We ran our reinforcements out and the group dissolved. To their credit, nobody quit during the mission! We gave it our Democratic Best.

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

If you're *next* to the jammer...better luck next life?

Yeah we dropped in right next to it, and it had no fab. This was easily the most nightmarish, impossible drop I've had yet lol

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

i havent played bots (or anything really) since the last patch, do the scout walkers still go down to a couple shots from the scorcher?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

in my experience no, but in everyone else's yes apparently lol

Gaffle
Aug 23, 2013

sWAg

Yeah but it'll usually take you one more scorcher shot than it used to

Gaffle
Aug 23, 2013

sWAg

Anyway rip helldivers, teamkilled by sony

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

hd2's gonna be fine. for everyone that can still play it, at least.

maybe this will convince them to start some pre-production on magicka 3 though, which would be cool too lol

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 19:11 on May 5, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Kly posted:

i havent played bots (or anything really) since the last patch, do the scout walkers still go down to a couple shots from the scorcher?

Yes