Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
I’m watching the abyss and I thought there would be more aliens

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Fight scenes are so boring, they should really give it a rest.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Sunk Dunk posted:

I’m watching the abyss and I thought there would be more aliens

They didn't know if the CGI would work so that whole segment was specifically written so it could be cut from the movie if it looked like poo poo.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
when you think about it, the sith are evil fascists, but the jedi are weak losers who are okay with slavery. incredible reflection of our times

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Stink Billyums posted:

people outside of canada may not be aware that trudeau is an enormous theatre nerd who would currently be putting on a high school production of pirates of penzance were his father's political party not so lacking in marketable candidates

Not only that but he's one of the first Canadians who got to watch Return of the Jedi.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqjQ6gqgi0w

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Arc Hammer posted:

Not only that but he's one of the first Canadians who got to watch Return of the Jedi.

That's awesome.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

sure okay posted:

There you go with the weasel language again. "Bizarre misreading." "Not hard to understand." Just trying to rap with you man.

"Have the tragedy kid or dont have any kids" is a false choice. Have a different kid two weeks after youre supposed to have the first. They dont exist yet its okay. Have a kid thats not anchored by tragedy.

I dont find considering the idea very bizarre!

Edit: I guess this may make Adams' character seem callous within the confines of the movie. She does have many premonitions and they feel real. But this is a smart character that instantly accepts the idea that just because they can exist when moving forward in time, they absolutely will. This is never challenged. And the notion of changing the present when you get a peak at the future opens up ideas about what kind of happiness or suffering you invite by not changing fate or instead actively trying to.

...which is a line of questioning you invite when you do time travel, and why its really hard to pull off. It invites these traps that make your characters seem incredibly callous or myopic in order to avoid having endless circular conversations about paradoxes.

Double edit: And I give lots of movies a bye with this. Bill and Ted obviously arent equipped to consider all of this and its not the tone of the movie anyway. They can ask their future selves to do them a solid and have it materialize in front of them that is cool as hell.

But this is a "the military flies in the foremost experts to deal with an anomaly" kind of movie filled with serious people and so-called experts. The moment premonitions come into play and start getting verified I guess I expected everyone to handle it a little better. A lot better, actually.

keep thinking

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
It's weird how the Maze Runner, Divergent, and Hungry Games movies are almost identical in plot, themes, visual style, and production design.

You could take random scenes from each and splice them together, and the average person would not be able to tell they're from three unrelated movie series.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

It's weird how the Maze Runner, Divergent, and Hungry Games movies are almost identical in plot, themes, visual style, and production design.

You could take random scenes from each and splice them together, and the average person would not be able to tell they're from three unrelated movie series.

wait are maze runner and divergent really two distinct franchises? I honestly thought they were the same ip

mystes
May 31, 2006

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I think the first divergent and maze runner movies came out just long enough after the first hunger games movie to be able to specifically try to imitate it (definitely long enough for anything that was done in post production)

Maybe same for the books depending on how long maze runner took to write

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

wait are maze runner and divergent really two distinct franchises? I honestly thought they were the same ip

"It's a system that works."

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

I’ve long had the urge to stuff Trudeau into a locker and take his lunch money.

Stink Billyums posted:

people outside of canada may not be aware that trudeau is an enormous theatre nerd who would currently be putting on a high school production of pirates of penzance were his father's political party not so lacking in marketable candidates

Ahh, now I know why…

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
At the risk of sounding like a passing mouse, RIP to Bernard Hill.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

loving nazgul.

Pac and Cheese
Oct 29, 2010

gotta walk fast

Arc Hammer posted:

it got awkward when he tried to wear his finn makeup to the force awakens premiere

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

colonelwest posted:

I’ve long had the urge to stuff Trudeau into a locker and take his lunch money.

Ahh, now I know why…

He's absolutely a huge embarrassing theatre dork. Although if he was a better PM that would end up just being a sort of endearing thing I guess.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Like Zelenskyy?

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

I'm receiving word that Cuba Gooding Jr. is an actual person and made movies?

Pac and Cheese
Oct 29, 2010

gotta walk fast
cuba gooding was great as oj in american crime story, no boat trips or snow dogs can take that away from him

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

sharknado slashfic posted:

trudeau's mom got some gooding in cuba, which led to jr.

Pac and Cheese
Oct 29, 2010

gotta walk fast
ricky martin was great as gianni versace's boy toy in american crime story, no livin la vidi locas or she bangs can take that away from him

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug

sharknado slashfic posted:

Excuse me you mean "Oscar-winning actor Cuba Gooding Jr "

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

He’s in good company with Casey Affleck, Harvey Weinstein, and Kevin Spacey

all Academy Award winners

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

poisonpill posted:

He’s in good company with Casey Affleck, Harvey Weinstein, and Kevin Spacey

all Academy Award winners

lol that you lump Casey Affleck in with the other two

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
who did casey afflect?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Cuba Gooding Jr. is fine but he's no Omar Gooding. It takes true talent to host early 90's Nickelodeon game shows.

Pac and Cheese
Oct 29, 2010

gotta walk fast

dreezy posted:

who did casey afflect?

iirc he was a huge creep during the shooting of that joaquin phoenix fake rapper doc that nobody saw

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Pac and Cheese posted:

iirc he was a huge creep during the shooting of that joaquin phoenix fake rapper doc that nobody saw

I saw it. It was dumb.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

The Casey Affect

- A Dennis Villenueve Joint

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Pac and Cheese posted:

8 Mile?

Pac and Cheese
Oct 29, 2010

gotta walk fast
joaquin gets a pass of course, he was just playing a character, he's da joka baby

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2x1yP2cpE8

Meat Wagon
Jul 14, 2004
helly eah

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

"Florps Hoggenwarsch once said, “The day four men in their forties spend a lovely afternoon with each other participating in such infallible and wasteful follies instead of putting in a hard days work, well that’s the day I put a pistol in my mouth!” Florps Hoggenwarsch was one of the literary giants of his time (1802 – 1842) as well as a notable cultural critic and observationist. Florps did indeed put a pistol in his mouth whence-forth he discovered that four of his dearest friends spent a lovely afternoon in 1842 reading aloud and mocking amateur books and poems to the enjoyment of a small crowd of other failures. The crowd consisted of toothless town-folk, drunkards, ex-convicts, perverted men, and failed politicians (some crossover) along with some very smart animals. As Florps friends read passages aloud from the failed poets and aspiring novelists of the time, the crowd laughed loudly and chewed on raw potatoes. They threw cornhusks and flatulated freely. These four men (friends of Florps) were in their element though. Having failed miserably at most of life’s endeavors, they found solace (and success) at mocking the attempts of others. They brought much joy to those peasants while they chewed baked wormroot vegetables and picked at their teeth with fish bones. When Florps discovered what his four very dearest friends were doing he was aghast! For Florps, you see, was a highly respected author having published many works including “A Summer Dreary”, “Whistling Willows” and the highly acclaimed “When a Man loves a Small Boy”. Florps knew his career was in danger if HE was ever associated with such ghoulish events. He had two options, take out his pistol and end the lives of his four friends or turn that pistol on himself. He, of course, chose the latter. In the rear of the crowd he made his presence known. “Here Ye! Here Ye!” he shouted. “For I am Florps Hoggenwarsch! And in my last words I proclaim… ‘Those that can’t do! Make YouTube videos!” he then shot himself with his pistol. A silence fell over the crowd as his body fell to the Earth with a resounding thud. The event continued on without any further interruptions. After the show Florps body was placed on a horse cart filled with cornhusks, half-eated gabbygords, manure, and the discarded literature that the townsfolk laughed at. He was buried in a paupers grave. His friends went on to live happily ever after counting their gold coins in their respective castles."

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

did josh finally off himself?

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

the baby isn't bad at all. weird, but not bad.

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

This might be controversial but I hope Josh is still alive.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

CaptainBeefart posted:

This might be controversial but I hope Josh is still alive.

he never was

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

battle of "the genres"

drat, The Baby sounds wild

Dandywalken fucked around with this message at 22:56 on May 5, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Rich looks like my mom at this point sans the beard