Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Celexi posted:

They might have said something but they literally removed the game from sale from a bunch of countries lmao

Buddy what does this have to do with people who already own the game being able to play

e:

HopperUK posted:

Settle down a bit please. Just cool down a bit. Thank you!

yeah sure sorry. I'm hate-reading reddit and a little worked up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Settle down a bit please. Just cool down a bit. Thank you!

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

again, to be fair, I don't think it's all that reasonable to say that it's fine if someone who bought the game can still keep playing if they break the rules of the company that said they're not allowed to play it. Like yeah it's technically possible but it's a real stretch and a big hoop to jump through to defend sony here

e: yeah took too long to type this, didn't see above

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

it is very important to return every hug

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Babe Magnet posted:

again, to be fair, I don't think it's all that reasonable to say that it's fine if someone who bought the game can still keep playing if they break the rules of the company that said they're not allowed to play it. Like yeah it's technically possible but it's a real stretch and a big hoop to jump through to defend sony here

e: yeah took too long to type this, didn't see above

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

you are returning the hug in real-time, as part of the action. unless you're getting one-sided hugs over here lol

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

another thing that hasn't happened yet

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

There's like 12 pages in the past day, did anything cool happen or is it still PSN arguments?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

oh i mean when arms go out, Ill do a 180 to hug then continue on. Its important for morale.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

yeah there's been a bunch of talk about new players and what loadouts they should aim for, some discussion on how to solo different difficulties, what's good about bugs, some fun and annoying player stories were shared

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Sony controls the store

So that would mean arrowhead can't do anything about the game being unplayable elsewhere if sony orders that.

turn off the TV posted:

they removed the game from sale in france, japan and parts of the united states while leaving it up in russia and china so im not dure that correlates to psn accessibility
that would be parts of US where PSN is not available like U.S. Virgin Islands, idk about Guam. French Guiana is wrong, but metropolitan France is right as that is the French postal code for overseas French territories that are not French Guiana
https://steamdb.info/sub/1018492/info/

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Dandywalken posted:

oh i mean when arms go out, Ill do a 180 to hug then continue on. Its important for morale.

yeah if someone's doing the hug emote it's important to complete it. We need an emote wheel, specifically for the various rock paper scissors variants lol

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

So, is it them or sony that is setting the rules? because if sony tells them to ~no players without psn~ and they can't say no, it won't matter what they say.

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison

Ravendas posted:

There's like 12 pages in the past day, did anything cool happen or is it still PSN arguments?

PSN arguments.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Celexi posted:

So, is it them or sony that is setting the rules? because if sony tells them to ~no players without psn~ and they can't say no, it won't matter what they say.

I'm very glad you are here to speedrun rehashing literally every bit of information that has been debated over and explained for 2 days now

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I know it's not really fair of me to say but if I see a player with the shield and quasar and orbital laser and 500kg I know I'm about to see a bad player 95% of the time.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Here's what I think is going to happen, because it's the most reasonable, rational response:

Sony will issue a press release. The press release will say something along the lines of, "We made a mistake in making the game available for sale in regions without PSN coverage. Players who already own the game in those regions will not be required to link a PSN account. It will not be available to purchase in those regions going forward. Thank you for understanding."

And that'll be that and the sky won't fall and it won't mean the End Of Gaming As We Know It and the game still won't be a scam or a fraud and we can get back to spreading democracy

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I actually don't think Sony's going to cop to any of this, it's going to just go through and it's something we'll have to deal with, but it still won't be the end of Helldivers or anything. A lot of the fun atmosphere of everyone collaberating with joel and trying to coordinate movements across planets to accomplish stuff that isn't in the engine yet (but joel can push a few buttons and make happen) probably isn't going to recover nearly as well as the rest of the game though.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I know it's not really fair of me to say but if I see a player with the shield and quasar and orbital laser and 500kg I know I'm about to see a bad player 95% of the time.

lmfao if someone brings the 500kg I always give them a healthy distance. That thing swings from useless to wrath of god randomly, and I'm not gonna be there when it happens either way.

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 00:59 on May 6, 2024

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Zwabu posted:

I play with pub groups like 90 percent of the time, crossplay allowed. (I'm on PC)

I feel like the ratio of friendly/chill to toxic is at least 20:1 if not better and the PS players I've met have been friendly too.

It helps that usually play with my friend and often join pub missions with him, the fact that we have friendly banter on voice chat encourages some of the other players to chat too, who might otherwise stay silent, and they sense the friendly vibe.

Yea I hardly ever had actual toxic lovely people, I just got sick of crunching/coughing/ignoring their kids

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

yeah a big part of me wants to label always-on hotmicing as toxic behavior but enough people just don't realize that it's bad that we can hear their loving fire alarm chirping in the background that I can't really attribute malice to it

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

Babe Magnet posted:

lmfao if someone brings the 500kg I always give them a healthy distance. That thing swings from useless to wrath of god randomly, and I'm not gonna be there when it happens either way.

you can take a bath in the 500kg as long as you are prone

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

I largely play with voice chat off. I turned it back on the other day. My IRL first name is my steam name and it's also a name that was in a viral meme like 10 years ago. The very first game I joined, the very first thing I heard was someone repeating the meme. Then in a later game I left early because one dude kept referring to his girlfriend as his 'broad' and how he had to 'listen to her bitch' all day. Never again folks

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

yeah it's gotten better but the slightest variance in elevation rendering it moot is why I don't trust that thing at all lol. The first time I dropped one and a bunch of scavengers walked out of the middle of it I swore off of it

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Dandywalken posted:

it is very important to return every hug

I will never embrace the “where’s my hug at?” divers :argh:

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

oh yeah if you call attention to the hug and ask for it that's weird

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

It sucks that there's no way to set the microphone device in the game settings, whatever it thinks my mic is isn't actually my mic and I can't use voice chat at all .

Vanilla Bison
Mar 27, 2010

Rawrbomb posted:

So I just picked this game up like a week or so ago, what are some new player tips ? My spouse and I do mostly duo missions without pubbies right now, we might end up with another friend in the future but its 50/50 right now.

We've made it up to difficulty 4 without too much issue, but level 5 seems harder than we can deal with. I'm fairly sure its just a learning curve, but any help would be great!

My best tip for newer players is, get one good waveclear strategem stone-cold memorized, so that you can throw it out as a panic button. Eagle Airstrike and Orbital Airburst Strike (which has a particularly easy input) are both early unlocks that are great for this. You're surrounded by bugs? Throw the strike at your feet, then turn 180 and sprint away. You're being overwhelmed by too much bot fire? Throw the strike out at whatever's shooting, then run and hide behind a rock. It sounds basic but the difference between tossing something out instantly versus 5 seconds of enemies doing their thing while you fumble around with the strategem menu is enormous.

Waveclear is more important than big single target damage for staying alive. Even the game's big bad threats aren't that deadly on their own, but dealing with them while hunter swarms or devastator packs are running wild is what gets you.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

yeah get eagle airstike ASAP, you'll be using it forever, it's never not good.

I mentioned it earlier but if you want good support weapons, the stalwart is a good rear end gun, especially against bugs on lower difficulties. and if you want good anti-tank, the EATs are very nice, don't let the "expendible" part fool you. I'll take them over the other anti-tank options any day.

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 01:15 on May 6, 2024

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

somebody had to say it. it's true

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Babe Magnet posted:

the ghost of tsushima guys took this opportunity to remind people you don't need PSN to play their game lol

you need a psn account to play the online multiplayer component of their game, but not the singleplayer

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Yeah I was just relaying them being funny about this situation on twitter. Also the GoT multiplayer mode is kinda doodoo. It plays just fine but it definitely needs more stuff to do.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

novaSphere posted:

I deliberately shot someone in the head and got kicked a while back. Their name was Hitler Senpai

lmfao

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Same but just the shield. If I see someone with quasar/laser/500kg without a shield I know they're gonna annihilate everything since those are pretty much top3 especially with the 500kg stealth radius buff. And that means they're rightfully prioritizing their primary which are stronger than any of the supports

against bugs anyway idk about bots I got bored of them

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I've never used the shield. seems fine, but I got more important stuff to put on my back.

VVV yeah I noticed that watching my boys use it, if anything it makes it harder to dodge rockets and such

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Ive stopped running shield. Turns out a lot of the shots I thought I was being saved from were misses anyway lol

Now Im a medic or engineer armor guy. May still run it with flamethrower though, idk.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Mischievous Mink posted:

It sucks that there's no way to set the microphone device in the game settings, whatever it thinks my mic is isn't actually my mic and I can't use voice chat at all .
I haven't had to try it but if you change the default audio input in windows I would guess the game uses that.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

I unfortunately broke my brain with Servo-Assisted armor and if I ever take it off I immediately start teamkilling with underthrown Eagles

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
One guy deliberately TKed me, so I TKed him, then a third guy saw that and TKed me and then we all left it at that. That was about the most toxic I'd seen.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I've got a big stupid virtual input mic-split setup and that's what I have to do for mine, so I just don't and use text chat lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

I've been consistently surprised by how friendly pubbies can be in this game when they decide to talk on mic. I've had a guy tell me about his tattoos. A guy today was telling me and a fellow British player he's a "master of arms" in the US military and teaches gun safety, because he'd said how he likes how bullet drop works in the game and we pointed out we had never touched a gun in real life. We started talking to that guy cause I don't think he'd ever done a scientist extract before and there were so many bots that he thought we'd somehow especially pissed them off.

As an aside, I got 65 kills from one hellbomb explosion on that same extract mission, don't think I'll ever top that.

edit: while I'm at it, I wonder if they will ever fix that loving mission, it's a nightmare every time.

BastardySkull fucked around with this message at 01:39 on May 6, 2024