Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Anime Store Adventure posted:

What’s wrong with it, just a visual problem/too dark sort of thing, or does the game have some kind of annoying threats at night like a Minecraft?

It's simply an annoyance that I don't think adds anything. Glad to hear about the street lamps!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

I noticed that I was chewing through my starter iron and decided to go find new deposits and use the upgraded crushing recipe to get more out of the new deposits.

Then I decided to make steel and then I realized I basically had everything there to just make a new base/item mall with a proper bus and far, far less spaghetti. So I just slowly researched the tier 2 techs while building my new nearly everything mall. Now I just need to get concrete up and running and I'll have Tier 3 science.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Alkydere posted:

Then I decided to make steel and then I realized I basically had everything there to just make a new base/item mall with a proper bus and far, far less spaghetti. So I just slowly researched the tier 2 techs while building my new nearly everything mall. Now I just need to get concrete up and running and I'll have Tier 3 science.

How are you liking the game so far?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Qubee posted:

How are you liking the game so far?

It's Factorio but 3D/voxel. It's got a procedural world for you to blow up, or pretty up, with a wide variety of cosmetic stuff you can do. Basically it's not AS pretty as Satisfactory but gives you a lot more possibilities. Also the voxelness means you don't deal the fiddliness of stuff fighting you because you're 3 pixels off.

Another way to see it is imagine a Minecraft tech mod. Now imagine instead of everything being kinda kludged into another game, the game is purposely built around it so that you don't deal with stuff like your steam boilers exploding because they were across a chunk boundary and half of it unloading. The devs released a tool on Steam that's a free developer-supported dedicated server. It's also got a factorio-deep research tree (or at least earlyish factorio when there were only 4 beakers). And the devs a) plan to expand stuff from here and b) are already supporting modders.

Basically while everyone understandably considers Satisfactory to be kinda first-person Factorio, this is actually first-person Factorio. I've generally felt that Satisfactory is more a pretty factory builder game. This is a crunchy factory builder game where you're worried about science per minute.

I'm only up to to level 3 science out of 5 and am starting to get into oil processing (just set up automation to build pumpjacks) and I'm forcing myself to stop here for the night so that I get some sleep and don't expand the factory to meet the needs of the expanding factory for 36 hours straight. Apparently things start getting wild from here on out. With megastructures that you have to build dedicated drone aircaft to build, and one resource you actually have to set up a factory to build resources to trade for the ingots because they don't appear in your world.

There's a few bugs. Mainly I've had a couple friends be unable to even start the game, but again it just came out on its public release. This is one of those games that says "Early Access" but many people would consider a fully fleshed out game. Yes it's published by Paradox but I think they took one look at this dev and realized they might actually be able to take a small bite out of Minecraft and Factorio's communities.

Oh and there's no blueprints as far as I can tell, but setting up belt lines is pretty simple and easy. This game laughs at Satisfactory's limit of dropping 10 tiles in a line with a single "zoop". If you've got the foundation tiles to do so, it will gladly let you drop 50x50 or more.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
As Alkydere said this is much more first person factorio than satisfactory. It's certainly a little rough around the edges but it's good enough to keep me up until 4AM. I managed to get the first 2 science packs automated and a mall that produces spaghetti tier 2 belt stuff and loaders. I'll post more later today when my brain isn't factory flavored mush.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

So this all seems like strong recommendations. I'll buy it!

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

It's gonna be big folks. I'm really glad they took the time on itchio to flesh it out, this version is better than the itchio version for certain. I'm leaving for a week's vacation so I didn't do much with it, but I'll get more into it when I get back.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Foundry looks cool but I am currently inundated with early access factory/management stuff that I either already bought or is on my wishlist so I'm going to try to force myself to wait a bit. It's really looking like the standalone Tekkit I always wanted plus conveyor belts.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

explosivo posted:

Foundry looks cool but I am currently inundated with early access factory/management stuff that I either already bought or is on my wishlist so I'm going to try to force myself to wait a bit. It's really looking like the standalone Tekkit I always wanted plus conveyor belts.

Yeah I'm still engaged with Oddspark myself :), a really nice EA game.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I'm very interested in trying a native factory game in a Minecraft form factor and I can't wait to try it sometime in 2027.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

zedprime posted:

I'm very interested in trying a native factory game in a Minecraft form factor and I can't wait to try it sometime in 2027.

I wonder if it'll be that long We'll see.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Does foundry run (well) on the deck?

LeFishy
Jul 21, 2010

Lawnie posted:

Does foundry run (well) on the deck?

I’m very very early but I’ve had no issue so far. Other than having to keep manually checking the control layout because the screen shows keyboard keys. Once you get used to it stuff makes sense mostly though.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Alkydere posted:

Another way to see it is imagine a Minecraft tech mod. Now imagine instead of everything being kinda kludged into another game, the game is purposely built around it so that you don't deal with stuff like your steam boilers exploding because they were across a chunk boundary and half of it unloading.
Oh gosh, this is something I've been waiting for for a long time. This has the potential to be very destructive to what's left of my free time. I guess it's a good thing that Oddsparks doesn't have much more content than it does at the moment.

Freaksaus
Jun 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I had completely forgotten that I'd bought foundry on itch.io whenever it first released there until I got a mail somewhere last week telling me they were coming to steam with the EA launch. I've played it for a few hours so far and I've been digging it way more than I thought it would. It really does feel like factorio in 3d with some minecraft physics thrown in and I'm all here for it, there's something satisfying about leveling a bit of terrain to throw down some foundation and set up a new line of smelters, seeing the drones slowly mine down your ore patches is also pretty cool.

There's some moments where I'm fighting with the hotkeys because they're slightly different from factorio, but nothing you can't change or get used to. I do recommend going into the keybind list though, took me way too long to see that there was actually a mass dismantle option and I didn't have to remove all those belts one by one. I also had a quick look at mods that are already there, because if they can get their modding game to be anywhere near what Factorio has this game can have some real staying power. There's not many mods yet, I mean the game doesn't even have real modding support yet so the fact that there's anything at all is already good, but the ones that are there seem like nice QoL ones

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

I just got the jetpack. Basically I now have Minecraft creative mode flight, just with a fuel cost.

Edit: one thing doing petrochem has really made me wish is that the buildings had ladders like Satisfactory. That was legitimately a great bit of design there.

Edit 2: So heads up to anyone who reaches the end of tier 3 science and starts moving onto tier four: You're going to need more steel. No, more. No no no, keep going.

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 07:47 on May 4, 2024

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

A very nice 9 minute synopsis of Foundry by TotalXclipse

https://youtu.be/BDwD3uji7eE?si=I5y4ntNmuUmQ8pRQ

MerrMan
Aug 3, 2003

Do you get elevators to move stuff straight up and down in Foundry? Was looking at the tech tree and didn't see it right away. I really liked building modular factories in Satisfactory that I could expand upwards, but if it's only the raised conveyors I'll have to think of some new design patterns to work with that.

I kind of like that the game has some pretty wonky ratios right from the start. I've already given up trying to math anything out and going with the old Factorio standby of full belts --> more consumers, empty belts --> more producers.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Yup, they're over to the left of the tree but you do get elevators in green science. It's a 3x4 platform and when you place 1/2 they'll create guidance lines above/below it that the other snaps to. They're even nice enough to clear out any dirt between them. First tier transports up to a T2 belt of goods, second tier transports up to a T3 belt of goods.

Likewise you can also get player elevators. Place one, then tell it what levels you want floors on and it will build/excavate itself. No need to worry about digging down with explosives to a vein: just plop the player elevator and say "Hey, I want the mine at this elevation" and it will dig down. The player elevators even double as power transfer for the HV grid with a power connection at each level.

Both kinds of elevators are blast proof too. Oh and obviously they can be used in buildings, but they make mines super convenient.

moist banana bread
Dec 17, 2023

banana Jake!
Sounds like no enemies in Foundry which is disappointing. Factorio is still unique as far as I know.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

There's enemies in Satisfactory but they're really just static annoyances

Freaksaus
Jun 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Alkydere posted:

Yup, they're over to the left of the tree but you do get elevators in green science. It's a 3x4 platform and when you place 1/2 they'll create guidance lines above/below it that the other snaps to. They're even nice enough to clear out any dirt between them. First tier transports up to a T2 belt of goods, second tier transports up to a T3 belt of goods.

These are the ones I'm really looking forward to, I'm setting up my Green Science at the moment and these can't come fast enough, the time it took me to get the mineral stone out without it looking terrible was painful.

moist banana bread posted:

Sounds like no enemies in Foundry which is disappointing. Factorio is still unique as far as I know.

It sounded like they want to add those eventually, I hope they'll post their roadmap sometime soon.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Don't worry, I'll be your enemy.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

RandomBlue posted:

Don't worry, I'll be your enemy.

Oh, the misery.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
I want to like Foundry but it feels pretty mediocre to me in it's current state. There are some "quests" in the game but they're extremely basic and have no rewards other than listening to some inane garbage from a useless robot companion and your AI guide. There's not really anything to overcome, no pressure beyond limited resources in the beginning and the belt/loaders system is probably the least flexible of all the factory games I've played.

Maybe at some point you can unlock the ability to move items from one belt to another but I'm about to unlock the third tier and techs and haven't found it. Loaders only work between buildings and belts, not between two belts or two buildings. If you want to transfer between two buildings you need at least 3 blocks between them and it has to go building->loader-> belt->loader->building. There are no splitters, you have to use a balancer that takes up 4 blocks instead. You can't load from or unload onto a curved portion of the belt.

The UI for buildings only being accessible from the in-game screen on side of the block is annoying. The buttons on that screen are only useable from a fairly close distance and the throughput text is only legible if you're up close. If you put a loader under the panel it makes using that UI more difficult. Let me click anywhere on the building to bring up a UI PLEASE.

World generation is also extremely bland currently as well.

Mostly leaves me asking myself why I'm not playing DSP, Satisfactory or Factorio instead.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

RandomBlue posted:

Mostly leaves me asking myself why I'm not playing DSP

90% of this genre for me, sadly

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Personally I love that the menus are on the buildings, as well as that so many buildings have little switches on them. The power poles have power buttons, the splitters let you manually switch to prefer one input/output or the other.

However I agree that the menus need to be bigger, ESPECIALLY the throughput information. As RandomBlue says I'm sitting there bruising my robo-knees to try to get a good look at that information to properly build my bases now that I've gotten to transport cargo ships. Also I'd slather a lizard-doggo in C4 for a quick copy-paste feature. I'd cover the little beach ball robo in C4 for free though.

Also for a big robot the player character could really use more reach when interacting and drilling.

I tried to make a bio-coal plant to basically convert rock to energy and 10 greenhouses barely feed a single boiler. Gonna go back to the fancy red xeno-coal, good thing I have one of those giant late-game seams next to my base so I'll be settled for a good long time on that once I research the big industrial drill building.

Honestly I'm rather enjoying this but there's definitely some rough edges that need ironed out. I do love how late game the scale suddenly shifts when you've got to deal with transports and mega construction.

Oh, spoilers on the SUPER ADVANCED story:
Right, we're construction robos, let's industrialize this helpless moon!

Odd, the station's all hosed up and not giving us information. Let's summon an administrator robot.

WHAT!? The station blew up over 3 decades ago and our masters are long gone? Um...let's...rebuild the station? Not much else to do!

Oh poo poo, there's still purchase orders in the system that are valid!

Oh poo poo! Someone actually came by and bought the construction robots we put up to sell!

OH poo poo! Turns out space money is ingots of industrially valuable metal! We can melt this down to make more robots!

That settles it: we're just gonna strip-mine this entire moon to build all the robots to sell! This is our purpose and we don't have any squishy, biological overseers to stop us! Let's make some paperclips!

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009
I'm also a little mixed on it -- it's certainly fun and fiddly in the right proportions, but smaller scale games like Technotica, while unfinished, feel like they have a lot more charm in the story and world and if I want the "megafactory simulator" it feels like DSP does it better. To be fair though, a large part of this is also probably due to how I'm always playing these games solo

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

But there's trees everywhere :confused:

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

They've mentioned "critters" on their roadmap but it's hard to say exactly what that entails since it could mean anything from a random bird in the sky to a locust invasion.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Alkydere posted:

Personally I love that the menus are on the buildings, as well as that so many buildings have little switches on them. The power poles have power buttons, the splitters let you manually switch to prefer one input/output or the other.

i think this is really cool too, it's neat needing to take panel access into account when building and it's a fun little immersion thing to just walk up to a screen and click buttons on the screen

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Reddit link ( it’s actually a google docs file) for those who want numbers for Foundry

https://preview.redd.it/y2bma4mxypyc1.png?width=1633&format=png&auto=webp&s=400555861108a4aa530ea5fe466bb169b1421869

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
I've played only a few hours of Foundry so far, and I find the game weirdly clumsy. Like just getting around and building things doesn't have a good flow and everything feels like its in the way. One thing I hope is added, or is an upgrade is the tile building can have an option where it just displaces dirt. With how awkward things are, going up and down levels is a bit more work then I'd like.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Mayveena posted:

Reddit link ( it’s actually a google docs file) for those who want numbers for Foundry

https://preview.redd.it/y2bma4mxypyc1.png?width=1633&format=png&auto=webp&s=400555861108a4aa530ea5fe466bb169b1421869

LOL these numbers. No.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

Finally picked up Captain of Industry; for whatever reason, it hadn’t really interested me before, despite having 1000+ hours in Factorio, DSP, Satisfactory, etc.

I think a lot of it was the “if you like Factorio, you’ll love this” stuff that people said about it - yeah, yeah. I’ve been burned before.

Hoo boy, was I wrong to be skeptical. If you’re on the fence and like any of those games, COI absolutely lives up to the hype. First game in a long time where I’ve had the urge to tinker with just one more thing and then suddenly the sun has gone down and I realize I forgot to eat lunch.

Just unlocked Research V on the Armageddon map, with about 100 hours in. A++++++ would highly recommend.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
yeah after tooling around with foundry for a bit i think it has some really fantastic bones, but needs some fleshing out - esp. in the UI department. I really need draggable/snappable conveyor belts if that's going to be the primary logistic element. I should be able to drag them diagonally and have the game attempt to put the turn. in the right spot, or i should get creative flight earlier.

I really like what it's doing with the HV -> LV electricity stuff and the transformation to more complicated logistic and assembly stuff later, give me more of that. the dream would be semimodular buildings similar to gregtech multiblocks, and more varied and different crafting subsystems.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

In addition to the clunkiness, Foundry's sound effects feel oddly "harsh" to me, for lack of a better word. It's borderline unpleasant to actually be in this world.

Anyone else get that feeling?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

forbidden dialectics posted:

Finally picked up Captain of Industry; for whatever reason, it hadn’t really interested me before, despite having 1000+ hours in Factorio, DSP, Satisfactory, etc.

I think a lot of it was the “if you like Factorio, you’ll love this” stuff that people said about it - yeah, yeah. I’ve been burned before.

Hoo boy, was I wrong to be skeptical. If you’re on the fence and like any of those games, COI absolutely lives up to the hype. First game in a long time where I’ve had the urge to tinker with just one more thing and then suddenly the sun has gone down and I realize I forgot to eat lunch.

Just unlocked Research V on the Armageddon map, with about 100 hours in. A++++++ would highly recommend.

If you hadn't noticed, CoI now has it's own thread. Yeah, I've lost 114 hours in this game already (I purchased on April 6th) and also highly recommend.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Impermanent posted:

yeah after tooling around with foundry for a bit i think it has some really fantastic bones, but needs some fleshing out - esp. in the UI department. I really need draggable/snappable conveyor belts if that's going to be the primary logistic element. I should be able to drag them diagonally and have the game attempt to put the turn. in the right spot, or i should get creative flight earlier.

I really like what it's doing with the HV -> LV electricity stuff and the transformation to more complicated logistic and assembly stuff later, give me more of that. the dream would be semimodular buildings similar to gregtech multiblocks, and more varied and different crafting subsystems.

You do get semi-modular buidings when you get to the end of Tier 3 science. After that you have megastructures that you need an entire support system of ships to build for you.

I managed to get up to making landing pads to move stuff about when I realizes there's apparently no way to move fluids at higher tiers. I'd have to make my oil refineries either on location or with mile long pipes because I can't just load up space-oil into a transport like I can with 8 stacks of ore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Did manor lords turn out to be a flop? I’m not seeing much buzz about it .

I really need to stop buying EA games