Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

ApplesandOranges posted:

Finding a wife is like finding a job, it’s easier if you already have one when looking for you next one.

Even worse it increases with the number of spouses, if you're not careful you can end up with like 10.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

“I played a stupid game and you’ll never guess what kind of prize I won!” NTA, that guy rules, hope his next marriage works out.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Guildenstern Mother posted:

Even worse it increases with the number of spouses, if you're not careful you can end up with like 10.

That’s why I use stack-ranking to manage my number of spouses. Every quarter I divorce the lowest-scoring 10%.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
that guy should definitely wait a while before getting married again. at least move in with the girlfriend beforehand, maybe make sure she's actually good with the kids.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
oughta be a law about it. can't get remarried within so many months of a divorce. maybe an extra fee to make up for clogging the system with all your extra paperwork.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
sick of my tax dollers bein' wasted on these serial marryers! :bahgawd:

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

Wicked Them Beats posted:

Holy lol the insane amount of hoops this person jumped through just to be told by the CEO that without proof of a good high school GPA they weren't worth hiring.

"Why doesn't anyone want to work anymore?" -this CEO, probably

Recently some CEO posted about how they have job applicants do a sample of work that takes 1-1.5 hours and how people have started saying the job isn't worth it. I hope to see Ask a Manager address it soon.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

sick of my tax dollers bein' wasted on these serial marryers! :bahgawd:

We need to protect the sanctity of marriage from straight people.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

oughta be a law about it. can't get remarried within so many months of a divorce. maybe an extra fee to make up for clogging the system with all your extra paperwork.

No, no. Offer a discount if you get married the same day you get a divorce. Use the time slot for both!

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Just chillin' : )

ApplesandOranges posted:

Finding a wife is like finding a job, it’s easier if you already have one when looking for you next one.

The way I snort laughed

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

trickybiscuits posted:

Recently some CEO posted about how they have job applicants do a sample of work that takes 1-1.5 hours and how people have started saying the job isn't worth it. I hope to see Ask a Manager address it soon.

I mean that is basically the most effective way of selecting suitable candidates for a job. It would certainly be an improvement if it replaces (and is not in addition to) the dozens of hours of bullshit personality and cognitive tests and writing the loving personal letter and multiple rounds of interviews.

If the candidate happens to discover in the process that the position of "senior marketing assistant" mostly involves manually transfering customer data from an outdated system to a slightly less outdated system is another matter entirely, and possibly not a bad thing. If you didn't like doing it for 90 min, just imagine doing it for 5 years.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

big black turnout posted:

ESH. Wife sucks for open relationship and ultimatum, but "being divorced isn't for me, I needed to find my next wife" guy also sucks majorly

seems like he made it clear he was not into it from the start and only agreed because of the threat of divorce, so no, he’s fine, she sucks.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

I've been playing a lot of incremental games lately, so I think the fees for a marriage/divorce should be exponential based on how many of each you've had. Say 1.2 exponent, so your wedding license is $100, your divorce is $158.49...

Wedding 2 251.19
Divorce 2 397.85
Wedding 3 630.96
Divorce 3 998.97
Wedding 4 1580.62
Divorce 4 2502.55
Wedding 5 3963.08
Divorce 5 6277.32

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Shanghaied posted:

I mean that is basically the most effective way of selecting suitable candidates for a job. It would certainly be an improvement if it replaces (and is not in addition to) the dozens of hours of bullshit personality and cognitive tests and writing the loving personal letter and multiple rounds of interviews.

If the candidate happens to discover in the process that the position of "senior marketing assistant" mostly involves manually transfering customer data from an outdated system to a slightly less outdated system is another matter entirely, and possibly not a bad thing. If you didn't like doing it for 90 min, just imagine doing it for 5 years.

Counterpoint: any job selection process that requires a candidate to do more than 5 minutes combined of work sample over the entire selection process should be mandated by law to pay that person at the hourly rate of whatever position it is that they are applying for.

Because employers are already being found to be taking the piss with these types of selection processes, and are actually getting prospective candidates to do work for free under the assumption that they have a chance at being hired when in fact they do not.

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

Breetai posted:

Counterpoint: any job selection process that requires a candidate to do more than 5 minutes combined of work sample over the entire selection process should be mandated by law to pay that person at the hourly rate of whatever position it is that they are applying for.

Because employers are already being found to be taking the piss with these types of selection processes, and are actually getting prospective candidates to do work for free under the assumption that they have a chance at being hired when in fact they do not.

Not a really a counterpoint, but sure, I agree with you completely.

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Breetai posted:

It's 100% this. It's not appropriate to ask candidates to undertake work outside of the auspices of an interview or interviews. If you want work samples outside of an existing portfolio you need to pay for it

Recruitment is a gamble and there is no way employers can eliminate all risk. Even if someone does put together your new brand template, or codes your whatever successfully (or whatever it is), they still might not end up a suitable candidate long term. That's life.

As stated, too many employers take the piss with it for it to be a viable option for job seekers

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Let's not forget the subtle self-selection of people who can work a full day then go home and do work for your interview as well, as opposed to:
- Go to their second job
- Raise their kids
- Care for a sick family member.

Pantaloon Pontiff
Jun 25, 2023

Shanghaied posted:

It's an effective way of tricking/pressuring people into doing work for free. Getting someone to do actually useful work as part of a so-called interview process should be absolutely illegal under minimum wage laws, and since we're not likely to get much labor protection in the US people pushing back hard against all forms of 'do work for free' is the next best thing.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

dervival posted:

it's not legal to tell someone you don't want to hire them because they're a woman; Shuttleworth has been known to be a massive misogynist since the late naughts

The fun thing about all the insane hoops for job applications and interviews these days is that they give employers every possible opportunity to filter out candidates for being too nonwhite, female, autistic, etc.

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

Pantaloon Pontiff posted:

It's an effective way of tricking/pressuring people into doing work for free. Getting someone to do actually useful work as part of a so-called interview process should be absolutely illegal under minimum wage laws, and since we're not likely to get much labor protection in the US people pushing back hard against all forms of 'do work for free' is the next best thing.

I already said that I agree that the candidates should be paid if they actually did work during the interview process.

Nerdlord Actual
Apr 14, 2007

Awaken to your true self with Wisconsin Potatoes
Grimey Drawer
Before I got my current gig, I spent 18 months as an unemployed journalist, which sucked big time. During that time I got a call for an interview out to Lima, Ohio to newspaper gig. I was like... okay, a job's a job? So I drove 8 hours to Lima, to do an interview the next day. I got there, and it was an all day affair, out to lunch, time at the printing press, and then they had me sit down to to a mock interview for a story, with the their news director sitting in as the PIO of a local police department.

I was given 5 minutes to interview the guy for a "drunk driving story" and would not be given any other information or be allowed to do the interview over. Nor could I record it. Which are like... basic parts of reporting work?

When I handed the story in, I was 'docked points' for not asking for exact intersection of the crash, and which departments responded to the crash.

I also didn't get the job.

8 hours back to Wisconsin.

God, I hate Ohio.

Troublemaker
Mar 12, 2007

Good lord, Grampa.

Am I wrong for thinking I'm still young?

quote:

I'm an active person. I go to the gym 3-4 times a week, ride my bike around for 45-60 minutes on days that I don't, and I like going skiing. My blood pressure is good and my organs are healthy. I also consider myself pretty youthful. I like going out with friends and/or meeting people, I make music during my spare time, and I'm a certified personal trainer. I also referee for recreational and competitive basketball games at the university, where people think I'm an undergrad student. I'm a playful and talkative person

in case you were wondering my actual age, I'm 25M. I know to some it sounds ridiculous to ask. But Reddit seems to get really upset at this idea. Like pure vitriol. I've seen people call 25 old and say that it's the beginning of your body declining and your biologically middle aged or whatever. I remember commenting "I'm 25 and consider myself a young adult" once and got called a loser for not wanting to grow up. I don't get it. I'm only 2 years removed from my early 20s. I'm closer to 21 than I am to 30 (which I don't believe to be old either).

What do you guys think? Am I wrong to think I'm still a young adult at my age?

Sex Farm
Nov 17, 2017

Troublemaker posted:

Good lord, Grampa.

Am I wrong for thinking I'm still young?

He goes to the gym too much, his muscles are making his skin too thin

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD
Some of us are rocking accounts almost as old as the OP lol :shepicide:

Probably shouldn't have spent so much time on incel subs.

Shanghaied fucked around with this message at 07:17 on May 6, 2024

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

I believe this one...

AITAH for telling my girlfriend she is too much of a "wildcard" to marry?

quote:

My (27M) girlfriend, M, (27F) is a bit of a free spirit. Don't get me wrong, she is very intelligent, attractive and has a lot going for her. We've been together 3 years.

But the issue I've been having recently is that she is wanting marriage and I see her as such an untamable horse so to speak. She is a rebellious, free spirited adventurer who literally packs up and leaves to go on a trip at a drop of the hat. She tells me she's going, and won't go if there are already commitments but if she can she is gone.

She is financially secure but she also spends a lot. Past an emergency fund, all her money goes to travel, taking up a multitude of projects. She woke up one day and decided to enroll in an auto-repair course, she is currently getting GIA certified for gemology. She makes jewelry, she works remote so she literally will pack up and take her work with her when she finds events she wants to go to ECT.

She's lived abroad, had a house in the south of France, she speaks 3 languages, goes to Germany and Austria often, she picks up hobbies or skills like they are M&M's. There isn't anything wrong with it I guess but it just feels chaotic?

Her biggest flaw is that she is rebellious. She absolutely hates, loathes the traditional route for anything. I went to college and she didn't, she had problems with teachers (which were founded, one abused her).but it's widespead. She quits jobs because she "manages better" and she does, she has her own business and a host of side hustles but it is just... how long does it last?

She was asking me if I was ever going to propose and I said I wasn't sure, we argued back and forth a little and she asked why I wouldn't. I was honest and said I saw her as a wildcard, that she just takes off a lot. She said she was lucky and could do that. That her friend died unexpectedly in his 30s and she absolutely is not going to go out working a "boring" 9-5 with no life and no experiences under her belt. She left- and hasn't spoken to me since. It's been 5 days. She said she needed to think.

AITAH? Am I overreacting?

EDIT//UPDATE

Just to clarify because I see a lot of comments and accusations of her flying around.

She isn't a bad person she just likes to be on the move.

She's been mentioning marriage/wanting to discuss it from the beginning (or at least 6-9 months into our relationship.) The expectation was always there, we discussed it. When I asked her if she would slow down or "settle" she's always said she just can't imagine not travelling at all. That she's happy to do school runs and live in an area for a long time but she has a lot of stuff on her bucket list still like going to Japan and things. I've always countered with what about kids? She says she wants to give them those experiences and keep them "cultured" and open minded but obviously it depends on them (she functions under different kids need different things).

She was abused, her friend died very tragically which I won't go into detail about. She has anxiety and C-PTSD that is managed and honestly you'd never know she has those things- I only know because she gave me the disclaimer. She doesn't have ADHD, please stop trying to diagnose her with bipolar or ADHD and leave that to her professionals.

I do want to marry her but it just freaks me out that she is so hyper independent. She always invites me a long and sometimes I go. I've told her I don't want her traveling while pregnant or anything and she's always been understanding of my point of view.

I think I messed up telling her she was a wildcard and would be a bad mother/wife by extension. And NO. She DID NOT GHOST ME. She asked for a specific amount of time and has been sending one or two texts just checking in but she wanted a week to decide how she was feeling so I'm giving her the week.

She also hasn't had a lot of partners like some people are suggesting. She's been with 2 people. She doesn't drink, smoke or do drugs at all.

Hopefully we can salvage this.

UPDATE 2:

It is hitting how dumb I've been. I didn't really talk about it with her so I am positive for her it feels like this critique that she needs to be less spontaneous/on the go feels out of the blue.

She hasn't responded to my last message but she may be busy. I basically said I wanted to talk and actually deeply put a plan together, that I love her and want things to work. The silence is killing me but I deserve it for being a jackass.

I feel like she is 90% out the door but I don't want to end things with her, she will have to make that decision. She's been asking me when we might get married and maybe if I had given her a solid answer, she would have been secure enough to slow down.

AITAH for telling my girlfriend she is too much of a "wildcard" to marry? --Update Girlfriend edition.

quote:

I (27F) am the girlfriend of u/ThrowAway860931 who posted here yesterday and apparently thought I wouldn't see the post (lol).

This is my throwaway account but I just wanted to clarify some things that my now, ex, said about me.

He apparently thinks I am a horse (again, lol) that needs to be tamed, and to that I say I'd rather die in a trailer with a black mamba Kill Bill style. Suck on my balls, since you don't have any, James.

Since you decided to air out all your frustrations of our relationship online and NEVER mention any of this to me before this point when you suddenly decided 3 years into a relationship I was a "wildcard"-- Here is my version:

I am not the flighty, careless, wildcard you made me out to be. I usually plan most trips I take months in advance, the one trip I took to Orlando last minute was simply because I finally heard from my cousin she couldn't come about a week before we were trying to go. So I last minute booked everything and went. It was one time. Not a pattern.

I do NOT own property in France anymore- that was my ex step-father's property. I did live abroad, I do now reside in the lower 48.

I have never once expressed travelling while pregnant?? I have been a big advocate of just settling down and getting married- something I wouldn't do without a prenup (something I feel this is more what this hissy fit is about). I also wouldn't allow you to get me pregnant, without marrying me first, but you left that part out. Another sticking point in our relationship. How many times have you said "We can just do it now?" while we were intimate and I wouldn't let you??

You have painted a picture that I am essentially a drifter when instead I hold down a regular job, I own my business, and have had stuck with most companies I worked for over 2 years (if you cared to listen which you usually don't). I do have lots of hobbies, but I have a genuine interest in a lot. I don't just run off and how you and some of the guys responded and talked about me in that post is, frankly appaling.

A lot of people were accusing me of being ADHD and I assure you I am not, I don't bounce from topic to topic, or task to task in the way he was describing. This is definitely not an accurate view point. He also discussed my C-PTSD and anxiety, something I don't tell anyone about, publicly.

All things considered, let me make this clear, we are over. You wanted to air this out in public, then I will finish it in public you narrow-minded dunce. You singlehandledly talked yourself out of a relationship.

If you wanted to break up with me you should've just broken it off with me instead of narrating a weird "I don't want to be with my girlfriend anymore so I am trying to find a flaw" post.

But hey, I might just be TAH I dated you for 3 years.

The original OP then deleted their post and just commented on the GF post:

quote:

If you want to make an rear end out of yourself I'll watch.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Haha she sounds rad.

I enjoy posts where the dude is like 'help my hot girlfriend is cool and popular how do I grind her down to be like me?' And then it blows up in their face.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
He apparently thinks I am a horse would be a good thread title.

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD
The post does highlight something that's been at the back of my mind for a while - what's the point of using fake first names on AITA? It doesn't matter to random redditors if the names are real, they are just names. As for the people involved, if they don't read AITA then it doesn't matter if the names are real, they are not gonna know that you posted about them in any case. And if they read AITA then they're going know that you posted, fakes names or not, because the situations are extremely specific.

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

Shanghaied posted:

The post does highlight something that's been at the back of my mind for a while - what's the point of using fake first names on AITA? It doesn't matter to random redditors if the names are real, they are just names. As for the people involved, if they don't read AITA then it doesn't matter if the names are real, they are not gonna know that you posted about them in any case. And if they read AITA then they're going know that you posted, fakes names or not, because the situations are extremely specific.

I think the most egregious is when they use letters and just expect you to memorise that poo poo like it's a test for high school, especially when half of the info dump is absolutely irrelevant

My (19f) boyfriend (19m) L's best friend S (18f) has two sisters K (22f) and M (23f). K is in college and has a boyfriend P (25m). The other day K, M and P were at S's house with L, and he invited me over as well. It's 14km from my house to S's house, if I normally travel at 5km/h but there's a 20km/h headwind and the house is travelling at a 30 degree angle from me at 2km/h, how many apples should I bring for the trip, assuming I eat 1.5 apples every 4 minutes?

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Saint Freak posted:

Cookie tables are just a free-for-all thing where all the guests bring whatever cookies, even store-bought ones. If you're in like, Youngstown, Ohio you don't even have to ask anyone you just need to supply the physical table and maybe a sign that says 'This is the Cookie Table'.

Source: I am unfortunately from Youngstown, Ohio
lmao wat up fellow cookie table haver. guests can park out front next to the devil strip

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

boofhead posted:

I think the most egregious is when they use letters and just expect you to memorise that poo poo like it's a test for high school, especially when half of the info dump is absolutely irrelevant

My (19f) boyfriend (19m) L's best friend S (18f) has two sisters K (22f) and M (23f). K is in college and has a boyfriend P (25m). The other day K, M and P were at S's house with L, and he invited me over as well. It's 14km from my house to S's house, if I normally travel at 5km/h but there's a 20km/h headwind and the house is travelling at a 30 degree angle from me at 2km/h, how many apples should I bring for the trip, assuming I eat 1.5 apples every 4 minutes?

I need to know you drag coefficient Cd.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!

boofhead posted:

E/N used to have a rule that you can't do this for exactly this reason. It becomes an unreadable alphabet soup of nonsense.

While we're at it, OOP is another dumb Reddit shorthand that I now know because of this thread. Original original poster? Stupid.

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

Shanghaied posted:

I need to know you drag coefficient Cd.

AITA? Spoiled students keep accusing me of "missing information"

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...

boofhead posted:

Did you pretend to put your hair in a ponytail but not? This is critical.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Shanghaied posted:

I assume it's to protect the principal characters from being outed to third parties. The people in the story will be able to recognise themselves but nosy cousins or work colleagues shouldn't have enough to ID anybody from the post alone.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Hughlander posted:

I believe this one...

AITAH for telling my girlfriend she is too much of a "wildcard" to marry? --Update Girlfriend edition.

I don't.

The Alchemist
Dec 12, 2010

I dont believe you dont.

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Hughlander posted:

I believe this one...

His girlfriend sounds cool as hell and he sounds like a dork rear end bitch

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Shanghaied posted:

Why would someone prevent their real identities being searched on the internet? :iiam:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Torkbuzz and Pnurtis