Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Orange Crush Rush posted:

Have you ever noticed how brutal some of the addiction debuffs are?

Yeah, isn't Fire Ant Nectar addiction hilariously punitive? I seem to remember that not even Fixer can clear it and that it just slowly kills you when you aren't on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

DoubleNegative posted:

Yeah, isn't Fire Ant Nectar addiction hilariously punitive? I seem to remember that not even Fixer can clear it and that it just slowly kills you when you aren't on it.

this is what it was like to give up drinking rockstars

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Ultrajet addiction gives -2 AG, -1 PE, and -2 ST, and each use has a 20% chance of causing addiction.

Fire Ant Nectar isn't addictive unless you're using mods. Regular ant nectar addiction gives -2 ST. They fixed the bug where it can't be cured.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
If your UltraJet withdrawal is a problem for you there's a great solution: use more UltraJet! Working as intended.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Mr. Prokosch posted:

If your UltraJet withdrawal is a problem for you there's a great solution: use more UltraJet! Working as intended.

:hmmyes:

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Lol at not taking Logan's Loophole

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

+Chemist +Daytripper and you get chems that last basically forever. Current character hasn't come down in three months

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

DaysBefore posted:

Lol at not taking Logan's Loophole

It would be a god tier trait if all it did was stop you from levelling and therefore also stop absurdian's level scaling hp bloat for enemies. Longer item duration + no addiction is just the cherry on top.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

So I just finished Fallout 2 for the first time in 10+ years and it’s making me want to play FNV for the umpteenth time. I spent like two hours a couple weeks ago installing the basic Viva New Vegas stuff, Uncut Wasteland, and Living Desert. It seems to be working and I’m only getting one error about navmeshes or wharves which doesn’t seem to be impacting gameplay so I’m not gonna gently caress with my mods anymore I reckon.

Anyway I’m gearing up for my usual small guns/speech/lockpick playthrough, and I just can’t remember the appropriate SPECIAL stats. I seem to recall there being no reason to take CHA past 6 despite it being very useful in F2, and PE not being as important for Small Guns and sniping, either. I know END 5 is necessary for the 5 implants that round out other stats. I’m thinking I’ll go with AGI 7 + Small Frame for 8, STR 6 for carry weight and big guns later, and INT 8. Does that sound viable? I know I can always console stuff later but would like to avoid post-introduction stat tweaking if possible

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Dump Charisma entirely (unless VNV makes it useful, dunno). Boost Agility to 9 (incl trait), and Endurance to get even more implants. Imo anyway, that's my gun build

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

DaysBefore posted:

Dump Charisma entirely (unless VNV makes it useful, dunno). Boost Agility to 9 (incl trait), and Endurance to get even more implants. Imo anyway, that's my gun build

Thanks!

VNV just seems to be bug fixes and basic enhancements so I don’t think it makes CHA relevant - it’s just so hard for me to wrap my head around doing my usual speech full companions build with a CHA of 3-4. My understanding is 6 is the requirement for all possible companion perks but those don’t really matter much and there are only two or three speech 100 checks in the game, late enough that with all the DLC it should still be trivial to max speech long before encountering them.

Anyone have a full SPECIAL that they think would be ideal for the guns speech lockpick (then inevitably repair, science, energy, and big guns) build? Thinking about restarting and playing hardcore too, it’s been a long time since i last beat it on HC

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
There's a few moments in the game where having a high Charisma score is useful, but more for flavour text. I'd recommend using drugs and alcohol to boost your Charisma for those moments because it's funny imagining a super drunk Courier playing with the Boomer children or being so high that they become attractive to certain NCR First Recon Sniper.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Yeah according to my Steam achievements I last beat the game and all the DLC in 2018 and I am 100% sure there was at least one raw CHA check requiring an 8+ but I also recall that every time I’ve ever gotten to a point in the game where that’s relevant I also have mentats and poo poo spilling out of every pocket anyway

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

Maxing out charisma makes Boone solo the game for you.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Frog Act posted:

Yeah according to my Steam achievements I last beat the game and all the DLC in 2018 and I am 100% sure there was at least one raw CHA check requiring an 8+ but I also recall that every time I’ve ever gotten to a point in the game where that’s relevant I also have mentats and poo poo spilling out of every pocket anyway

There’s 2 requiring a 7 (talking to the Mini Boomers, one to not get arrested helping Contreras), but that’s it. So lowering CHA to 1 and keeping alcohol and party time mentats on hand is totally enough.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Entorwellian posted:

Maxing out charisma makes Boone solo the game for you.

He kinda does that anyway lol

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Boone and ED-E form a sniper team where the Courier's only role is to carry spare ammo for the All American.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Arcade kicks some rear end with energy weapons as well

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

You can definitely just stand there and let your partners beat the game for you with high Charisma, it's pretty funny (and a valid way to fill your stats with non-combat stuff)

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Lol drat well I guess I’ll go with CHA as a dump stat and leave it at 3/4. It just feels so wrong after plaything through F2 where starting with 8 was so loving helpful and I still constantly had to slap on sunglasses/weed/mentats whenever I went into the EPA and left Skynet behind

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Just make sure your Endurance is at 7 before you hit the New Vegas Medical Clinic.

You can put it to 9 if you want the two optional implants but they're kinda crap.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

Just make sure your Endurance is at 7 before you hit the New Vegas Medical Clinic.

You can put it to 9 if you want the two optional implants but they're kinda crap.

Ah thanks for some reason I thought it was five. Before I hop back in are there any weapon expansion mods anyone would recommend? Eons ago, in like 2012, I played with a mod that adds a bunch of real weapons manifested in a similar spirit to those included in F2. It was a decent addition to the existing arsenal and made more sense out of the gun runners. I can’t seem to find it, anyone know of an alternative?

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

The armour implant is good especially if you're doing light armour imo. And heck at a certain point you just need a money sink

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Or just use the Cyberware Mod. It was the best part of Project Nevada and now that it's a separate mod you get all the benefits without the bloat.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

That sounds super cool, the addition of bullet time and stuff in particular is a thematically appropriate refinement of VATs. I wish installing mods wasn’t so complicated now, after decades of enmeshed requirements and incomprehensible-to-me script enhancement background things tinkering w mod order even a little bit feels incredibly harrowing. Something always seems to break. Even with my current VNV thing where I just followed directions to install 45 apparently necessary things I’ve got an error I can’t quite understand

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Frog Act posted:

That sounds super cool, the addition of bullet time and stuff in particular is a thematically appropriate refinement of VATs. I wish installing mods wasn’t so complicated now, after decades of enmeshed requirements and incomprehensible-to-me script enhancement background things tinkering w mod order even a little bit feels incredibly harrowing. Something always seems to break. Even with my current VNV thing where I just followed directions to install 45 apparently necessary things I’ve got an error I can’t quite understand

if you can post a screenshot or the exact wording we can try to help. also let us know when it's happening - is it inside MO2? after you load the game? when you fast travel? etc

e: since it got mentioned but not linked, the standalone cyberware mod: https://mod.pub/falloutnv/15-cyberware-2281 note there's a patch for b42 quickthrow which you're probably using

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Arivia posted:

if you can post a screenshot or the exact wording we can try to help. also let us know when it's happening - is it inside MO2? after you load the game? when you fast travel? etc

e: since it got mentioned but not linked, the standalone cyberware mod: https://mod.pub/falloutnv/15-cyberware-2281 note there's a patch for b42 quickthrow which you're probably using

Woah ten seconds looking at the list and I can see some very stupid (laudatory) build potential. That rules

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I should note that despite not being on Nexus (I don’t know why) the creator of that mod, Eddorsul, is a stand up person who is very good at modding and doesn’t hide any hinky poo poo in their mods or whatever. That’s not a link to loverslab for fallout new Vegas or some poo poo, it’s just a genuinely good mod.

e: looking at the mod.pub intro i think eddorsul doesn’t like nexus claiming perpetual rights to keep your mods. which is pretty whatever/definitely not something that makes me worry about the quality of the mods, basically.

Arivia fucked around with this message at 17:26 on May 6, 2024

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

DaysBefore posted:

Woah ten seconds looking at the list and I can see some very stupid (laudatory) build potential. That rules

Twin kinetic accelerators in your arms plus the rapid reload perk is absolutely hilarious. You reload Lucky in about 1.5 seconds and it looks so goofy.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

I do need something to make the game much harder if I do any goofy builds. Heck even now I'm going through Dead Money one-shotting every Ghost at level 19 because of crit chance increases. And that's with a +damage taken -damage inflicted mod the game assures me is running lol

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
playing through dead money as an energy weapons god is so cathartic after scraping through it at like, level 4 like i did the first time

its kinda crazy that dead money gives you the strongest energy weapon in the entire game, maybe the best weapon in the entire game in terms of ammo use/damage output/durabbility, and then a bunch of other gear that mostly sucks

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Flailing at random with a Cosmic Knife will pretty much ruin everything even if you didn't put any points into Melee

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Arivia posted:

thanks! I really appreciate the offer of help, this stuff is just totally outside of my capacity to comprehend and I get mad super quickly when I try to do so. Here's my modlist:

and here's the error message, which I see only when I open the game:

I think it's because I installed that before I installed uncut wasteland and living desert, but those are also both part of the pack that Viva New Vegas recommends, just in a later section. I honestly do not give a single poo poo about 90% of the stuff VNV installs, like improved navmeshes, visible city lights, tweaks to the way the pipboy looks, etc so my first thought was just to remove all the fuckin navmesh mods but given the way everything works I feel almost positive that would disable a bunch of other stuff. things seem to run fine even with the error, I'm assuming it just means anything not covered by the improved navmesh will default to the old one, which is fine with me. Does that sound right or is this liable to gently caress me over 40 hours in?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Try reinstalling the nav mesh overhaul mods and make sure they have different names: https://www.reddit.com/r/fnv/comments/17sblzp/comment/kzzmv6h/

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Arivia posted:

Try reinstalling the nav mesh overhaul mods and make sure they have different names: https://www.reddit.com/r/fnv/comments/17sblzp/comment/kzzmv6h/

thanks! I really appreciate the help. I have no idea what they're saying, though, unfortunately. I tried reinstalling both navmesh and the YUP version but still see the error. I see in the reddit thread people suggest it's the "vish's hub" mods that need to be renamed...but I have no idea which ones those are because there aren't any named "vish's hub". This is the kinda thing that drives me completely up the wall about NV modding. i just can't figure it out. Further research implies there’s a list of vish’s hub mods of which one of the 40+ mods I’ve installed might be a submod or something though so maybe I’ll be able to identify it if I keep looking

I wonder if just removing these stupid mesh AI improvements would hurt other stuff? I just want to play the game and every time I've tried for the last five years I've given up because of mod annoyance

would unchecking all the improved AI garbage and trying to start the game be a good way to check and see if those are the problem?

ed: lol the OP fixed it by reinstalling all the VNV stuff again but the top post there is someone saying it's safe to ignore. Just gonna proceed with ignoring it because I'll just uninstall everything and play something else before I go through the nails-in-the-dick experience of installing all those mods again. I hope it works!

Frog Act fucked around with this message at 19:39 on May 6, 2024

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Frog Act posted:

thanks! I really appreciate the help. I have no idea what they're saying, though, unfortunately. I tried reinstalling both navmesh and the YUP version but still see the error. I see in the reddit thread people suggest it's the "vish's hub" mods that need to be renamed...but I have no idea which ones those are because there aren't any named "vish's hub". This is the kinda thing that drives me completely up the wall about NV modding. i just can't figure it out. Further research implies there’s a list of vish’s hub mods of which one of the 40+ mods I’ve installed might be a submod or something though so maybe I’ll be able to identify it if I keep looking

I wonder if just removing these stupid mesh AI improvements would hurt other stuff? I just want to play the game and every time I've tried for the last five years I've given up because of mod annoyance

would unchecking all the improved AI garbage and trying to start the game be a good way to check and see if those are the problem?

ed: lol the OP fixed it by reinstalling all the VNV stuff again but the top post there is someone saying it's safe to ignore. Just gonna proceed with ignoring it because I'll just uninstall everything and play something else before I go through the nails-in-the-dick experience of installing all those mods again. I hope it works!

so the vish's hub stuff refers to this: https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/77945?tab=description VNV does use a bunch of these.

if you're willing to try a bit more, try disabling the navmesh mod in the LEFT pane of mod organizer (so click on the check mark next to both Improved AI navmesh mods), then start the game and see if you have the same error. I don't have new vegas installed currently, so I'm basically troubleshooting at distance with you.

If you don't have the same error after you disable the Improved AI navmesh mods, starting a NEW game will be fine and safe. NPCs might be a bit buggy, but no less buggy than they are in unmodded new vegas, just the same as it always was.

I'm wary of the "just ignore it" response because if you look at the timestamps that's actually from awhile ago, whereas the stuff about renaming is much more recent. I know how to triage the renaming with you, but it's of course up to you how much trouble you want to go to, and if you just want to play and say gently caress it to the navmesh mod it's not gonna ruin the experience.

jpmeyer
Jan 17, 2012

parody image of che
after seeing some of the more recent revisionist perk takes, i figured i'd for once not take jury rigging and see how things go. reasoning here is that you don't need it for your weapons because of ed-e and endless repair kits, and for armor i figured i'd try a light armor run for once and joshua graham's armor and ulysses's duster repair fairly easily. i realized that you basically get more caps than you could ever spend anyway, so it doesn't really matter if you're getting less money back on your sales or occasionally need to pay for an armor repair. also want to see if you can skip most of the best unarmed/melee perks like piercing strike, super slam, slayer, etc. simply by using the thermic lance/industrial hand.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLTuysEzqhQ

This made me laugh.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Arivia posted:

so the vish's hub stuff refers to this: https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/77945?tab=description VNV does use a bunch of these.

if you're willing to try a bit more, try disabling the navmesh mod in the LEFT pane of mod organizer (so click on the check mark next to both Improved AI navmesh mods), then start the game and see if you have the same error. I don't have new vegas installed currently, so I'm basically troubleshooting at distance with you.

If you don't have the same error after you disable the Improved AI navmesh mods, starting a NEW game will be fine and safe. NPCs might be a bit buggy, but no less buggy than they are in unmodded new vegas, just the same as it always was.

I'm wary of the "just ignore it" response because if you look at the timestamps that's actually from awhile ago, whereas the stuff about renaming is much more recent. I know how to triage the renaming with you, but it's of course up to you how much trouble you want to go to, and if you just want to play and say gently caress it to the navmesh mod it's not gonna ruin the experience.

Thanks! I sincerely appreciate your patient help, I still haven’t left the “rebuild your character and enter the wasteland” perimeter so starting over at least won’t be an issue. I flipped those off and it started error free so I’m gonna reroll and go with it, it’s hard to imagine the experience without NPCs getting caught on tiny pieces of terrain and poo poo anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

DaysBefore posted:

The armour implant is good especially if you're doing light armour imo. And heck at a certain point you just need a money sink

Yeah, I love the armour implant, taking 4 fewer damage from every hit ever is a big deal. And I had money to spare after I came back from Honest Hearts with the Pack Rat perk and 30,000 caps worth of guns and drugs.

The untranslated line that the Burned Man says to Salt-Upon-Wounds at the end of Honest Hearts is a great bit of hinting at some unseen world-building. To me it sounds like he's bitterly quoting something Salt-Upon-Wounds might have said to him once.