Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mosnar
Apr 21, 2007
Dropping Heavy Things From High Places, LLC

Diogines posted:

A brief search online reveals a bunch of posts saying that this person is a psycho and that mod is a buggy mess? Better AI which could make the game challenging sounds great, but this does not sound like it will actually do that?

How do you like it? I would be extremely interested in a good AI mod.

Pros:
I actually had a raider use an elevator to come attack me. That struck me a both neato cool and more logical.
More "realistic" that enemies would be aware of my presence at a longer range seeing as how I'm randomly firing off weapons and stomping around like a dinosaur.

Cons:
It does resemble a buggy mess.
Not exaggerating on the whole 1/2 mile radius thing. Couldn't talk to Preston Garvey (ugh) for over a game hour due to a remaining bloatfly in Concord.
It does add more tedium via more combat.

I eliminated the Real.AI - Untethered addon bit from my modlist shortly before the "update" (I play on PC as God intended), and have not been able to get back into the game until a bevy of mods I use get updated themselves (looking at you, XDI), so I have not been able to gauge the positive or negative effect that may have had. Been spending my time in the Capital Wasteland (TTW) looking for this Liam Neeson fellow ..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

Any thoughts on Pack Attack? That seems like a well regarded mod without a giant controversy around it? Or any other AI mods?

Diogines fucked around with this message at 18:17 on May 4, 2024

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Diogines posted:

I am playing Fallout 4 on Hard and focused on agility and VATS. Is there anything I can do to actually make the game challenging, be it mods or otherwise, or do I just have to accept that it is not going to be very difficult if I use VATS?

I mean sure I can make enemies into bullet sponges on very hard or download some mod I am sure to give them a million HP but that is not very interesting?

Try Horizon out, it turns HP into more of an adventuring resource and changes how healing and afflictions work. Most things are more lethal but you've got more starting health. You just need to know you won't always be starting each encounter at 100% HP, zero rads, perfect limbs, etc. which takes a second to get used to. But it's got a respawn system centered around claiming settlements. It's also a total overhaul of every other system so you might find it OK to use VATS to make your precious little ammo count, without feeling too easy.

Like has been said, VATS itself was kind of a thing to replicate the FO1/2 combat system in an FPS so it's about on-paper character skill instead of your twitch skills. There are various mods that can swap VATS for bullet time, or change how aiming or taking damage works during VATS, if you think that sounds better instead.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

A bullet time mod instead actually sounds very fun, but I would be concerned about balance? I'm also open to the idea of a VATs mod but just rebalances it in some way?

Diogines fucked around with this message at 21:47 on May 4, 2024

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Any good Weapon Sound mods that have come out more recently than 2015?

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018
Horizon's VATS slows down less, and only reduces incoming damage by 10% (I think vanilla is aboit 90%), plus AP regen is a lot slower, as is how quickly enemies forget you.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Just reinstalled this game for the first time in years, and I have no idea what the state of modding is currently. I was just going to load some basic QOL stuff, but it looks like Bethesda's last big update broke f4se so anything dependent on that doesn't work?

And I went to install the big Unofficial Patch mod and it now lists a bunch of DLC requirements I've never heard of. What on earth are "Enclave Remnants", "Halloween Workshop", or "Makeshift Weapon Pack"? None of those show in the DLC page on Steam. I had the season pass back from when the game launched so I thought I had all the DLC unless they've added some recently.

I installed Unofficial Patch mod anyway, and starting a new game it appears that it causes some items to not show up in inventory properly, e.g. the vault suit I start with says "LOOKUP FAILED!" as its name in the inventory, but still appears to be usable and looks fine.

Toast King
Jun 22, 2007

Those smaller DLC add ons you mentioned are ones that were added for free in the update last month, so you’ll have them already if it’s up to date.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Diogines posted:

Any thoughts on Pack Attack? That seems like a well regarded mod without a giant controversy around it? Or any other AI mods?

panpc is the best ai mod and it's not close, but has a high script load.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Entropic posted:

Just reinstalled this game for the first time in years, and I have no idea what the state of modding is currently. I was just going to load some basic QOL stuff, but it looks like Bethesda's last big update broke f4se so anything dependent on that doesn't work?

And I went to install the big Unofficial Patch mod and it now lists a bunch of DLC requirements I've never heard of. What on earth are "Enclave Remnants", "Halloween Workshop", or "Makeshift Weapon Pack"? None of those show in the DLC page on Steam. I had the season pass back from when the game launched so I thought I had all the DLC unless they've added some recently.

I installed Unofficial Patch mod anyway, and starting a new game it appears that it causes some items to not show up in inventory properly, e.g. the vault suit I start with says "LOOKUP FAILED!" as its name in the inventory, but still appears to be usable and looks fine.

There's a downgrader available that lets you roll back your Fallout 4 installation to the previous update. When you're picking mods you'll just have to make sure you're not downloading any too-up-to-date versions.

That said, nowadays it's possible to fully outsource the modding process by just downloading someone else's curated modlist instead. It's thanks to a program called Wabbajack. You just open it, pick your game, and see if anyone's made a modlist that fits your tastes.

Personally I'm using Life in the Ruins, which is focused on survival, I like it quite a bit. There are others too, each with specific goals in mind as to what they want the game to be.

LitR already has its own downgrader included, so it works just fine with the Next-Gen update. I assume the other modlists have, or are working on, something similar as well.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I'm looking for a recommendation for a UI mod for Fallout 3, particularly something that's going to arrange my items into categories so it's not just one long list of stuff

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

ThaumPenguin posted:

There's a downgrader available that lets you roll back your Fallout 4 installation to the previous update. When you're picking mods you'll just have to make sure you're not downloading any too-up-to-date versions.

That said, nowadays it's possible to fully outsource the modding process by just downloading someone else's curated modlist instead. It's thanks to a program called Wabbajack. You just open it, pick your game, and see if anyone's made a modlist that fits your tastes.

Personally I'm using Life in the Ruins, which is focused on survival, I like it quite a bit. There are others too, each with specific goals in mind as to what they want the game to be.

LitR already has its own downgrader included, so it works just fine with the Next-Gen update. I assume the other modlists have, or are working on, something similar as well.

Is there an actual downgrader? A week ago it was a Viva New Vegas-esque manual install nightmare.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

I'm looking for a recommendation for a UI mod for Fallout 3, particularly something that's going to arrange my items into categories so it's not just one long list of stuff

You’ll have better luck asking in the modding New Vegas thread. Speaking of, the best way to play 3 modded these days is through Tale of Two Wastelands, even if you’re never going to go to the Mojave - you’ll certainly find much more mod support that way, I think actual fallout 3 has dropped off pretty hard in terms of modding.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

DamnGlitch posted:

Is there an actual downgrader? A week ago it was a Viva New Vegas-esque manual install nightmare.

The existing downgrader was apparently updated yesterday to be less cumbersome

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

Play TTW instead and then use ysi + ysi categories

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
There was some chat about settlements a couple pages back but I re-read it and didn't come out with a conclusive answer so:

I currently have SS2 installed, and tbh while I don't mind the story bits (haven't done them, but willing to try), what had me interested about it in the first place was finding a way to... automate? My settlements? I'm terrible at the whole building stuff and decorating, so I just want to liberate a settlement, plant a beacon or whatever, then just go do my own poo poo and next time I go to said settlement the people have cleaned/built up some stuff, stuff like that.

Can I make that happen with SS2 by tweaking the options? In case I can, is it dependent on doing the 'story' for SS2?

If I can't, is there anything that does what I want?

Cheers.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Edmond Dantes posted:

There was some chat about settlements a couple pages back but I re-read it and didn't come out with a conclusive answer so:

I currently have SS2 installed, and tbh while I don't mind the story bits (haven't done them, but willing to try), what had me interested about it in the first place was finding a way to... automate? My settlements? I'm terrible at the whole building stuff and decorating, so I just want to liberate a settlement, plant a beacon or whatever, then just go do my own poo poo and next time I go to said settlement the people have cleaned/built up some stuff, stuff like that.

Can I make that happen with SS2 by tweaking the options? In case I can, is it dependent on doing the 'story' for SS2?

If I can't, is there anything that does what I want?

Cheers.

What you need to do in a new settlement is build a city planner's desk and assign any settler to it. They will become the "mayor" of that settlement and lay down plots according to a predetermined pattern, though you can still make specific choices about which exact buildings go there, if you want a general store to be a weapon store or something.

One of the things that a city planner's desk can build is a "packed city planner's desk", which you can carry with you when you're going to liberate a new settlement and then just place on the ground.

If you're playing the plotful version, mayor functionality may not be unlocked until you see it happen for the first time.

Any settler can be a mayor, but the standard companions and some other unique recruits will have unique benefits when assigned as the mayor of a settlement.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Ah, great, cheers. Found a tape in Concord related to that I think, and I just finished clearing out Corvega for the first Minuteman quest/settlement last session, so I'll give it a try next time I jump in.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Let's not pretend they'll clean anything up. The sanctuary plan just put a platform over the ruined houses and slapped a windmill up there

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

:murder:
Isn't it a bad idea to remove that poo poo because of the precombines so they made due with what they had.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Flowing Thot posted:

Isn't it a bad idea to remove that poo poo because of the precombines so they made due with what they had.

In Sanctuary in particular some of the ruined houses can be removed vanilla without scrap everything mods that gently caress precombines.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Yeah, I was specifically referring to the vanilla scrappables

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

Oh right, they don't even remove those.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

I think it's because the concrete foundation of the scrappable Sanctuary houses don't fit any of the standardized SS2 plots, and IIRC often don't even seem to fit the actual base game building parts? If you try to build any kind of post-war house there always seems to be an extra bit of concrete sticking out. Guess the SS2 devs felt that just embracing the garbage gave the settlement a more "naturalistic" feel compared to the off-ness of dealing with the concrete foundations.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
does Sim Settlements, 1 or 2, work just from the in-game mod browser? I saw them there but I figured there had to have been some kind of catch

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

It's even available for XBOX, all three chapters, I've got no idea how they pulled it off.

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018

ThaumPenguin posted:

I think it's because the concrete foundation of the scrappable Sanctuary houses don't fit any of the standardized SS2 plots, and IIRC often don't even seem to fit the actual base game building parts? If you try to build any kind of post-war house there always seems to be an extra bit of concrete sticking out. Guess the SS2 devs felt that just embracing the garbage gave the settlement a more "naturalistic" feel compared to the off-ness of dealing with the concrete foundations.

They do, but you'll have to be pixel-perfect, or the ASAM hangs in the air.

Foundationless plots fit perfectly with 2x2 floors, like warehouses, barns, concrete etc. I've built a trillion plots that way.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
there's some amazingly annoying fuckery required to get the small/interior plots to snap against walls, that's always a hoot to fuss with

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018
Yeah. It's great stuff. Place Everywhere ftw, helps a little bit, and Workshop Plus some more.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

My minor superpower is not caring about how any kind of building elements in games looks. gently caress it, pack everything as tightly together as possible to get the most value out of the space.

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018
You monster.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Alright, now that I've triggered SS2 and hosed around a bit with Sanctuary I can make sense of the just few posts. :v:

Not gonna lie, it's a bit disappointing that the city plan leaves all the destroyed houses and just slaps some stuff on top of them but hey, what I wanted out of the mod was a hands-off way of having settlements grow and change on their own to make it feel like I'm making a difference around Boston and this fits the bill.

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

Theres lots of different plans for Sanctuary. Jump on Nexus, grab a few, and you can tell the City Planner which one to build
Heck, they have entire megapacks on Nexus of user created City Plans, so you are sure to find something that appeals

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
speaking of SS2: given that you build industrial plots, which can get settlers to gather junk (and the better ones building material), do they deposit that into the settlement's workshop, or is there another place to get it from? the documentation makes some kind of reference to a separate storage type but it's unclear to me

EDIT: okay I think the answer is to use the use the City Planner Desk, and then use the Transfer option to move materials from the Virtual Storage to the Workshop? Need to investigate this further.

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 05:30 on May 7, 2024

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

gradenko_2000 posted:

speaking of SS2: given that you build industrial plots, which can get settlers to gather junk (and the better ones building material), do they deposit that into the settlement's workshop, or is there another place to get it from? the documentation makes some kind of reference to a separate storage type but it's unclear to me

EDIT: okay I think the answer is to use the use the City Planner Desk, and then use the Transfer option to move materials from the Virtual Storage to the Workshop? Need to investigate this further.

For the most part your Sim Settlements 2 industrial plots only produce "virtual scrap" - scrap which exists to pay building and upgrade costs for settlement buildings but which you can't pull out and make a neat gun with. Construction uses virtual scrap before it tries to take apart anything in the actual inventory you can see. The exceptions to this are the very simplest scrap building (crow icon) which works like an upgradable scav bench making random scrap bits in the settlement inventory, and the highest-end scrap buildings (conveyor belt icon) which produce goods that drop into your inventory or are sold at a related shop.

Usually there should be a little window next to the settlement status bar in build mode that says how much virtual scrap you have on hand.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
okay yeah after a closer reading of the wiki it does seem like it's not supposed to immediately feed stuff back to the player, but rather act as a sink for the player to feed into and to throttle the rate at which things can/will get constructed

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018

Edmond Dantes posted:

Alright, now that I've triggered SS2 and hosed around a bit with Sanctuary I can make sense of the just few posts. :v:

Not gonna lie, it's a bit disappointing that the city plan leaves all the destroyed houses and just slaps some stuff on top of them but hey, what I wanted out of the mod was a hands-off way of having settlements grow and change on their own to make it feel like I'm making a difference around Boston and this fits the bill.

The plans are predesigned city layouts, meaning that any scrappables that the designer spared will be there (and will be restored when the plan is activated). The residents do not do anything on their own, except build and upgrade existing plots. If the city plan is levelled, then it can grow, the style and plots decided by whoever designed it.

So yeah, they grow and evolve, in a way.

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Say, is there a setllement mod that adds triangular walls beyond what's in vanilla? I'm building overly elaborate settlements and I'm getting frustrated that I can't do a sloping wall for a concrete structure given all the hills that are in the settlements.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

gradenko_2000 posted:

okay yeah after a closer reading of the wiki it does seem like it's not supposed to immediately feed stuff back to the player, but rather act as a sink for the player to feed into and to throttle the rate at which things can/will get constructed

One of the two bottom tier industrial plots actually does produce "real" junk now, instead of the virtual stuff. You can still use it to pay plot upkeep, which happens silently. This is a fairly new thing and isn't explained in game at all. There are also specific plots that produce various "real" commodities all over the place.
You may already have discovered this: These outputs and other plot values like Defense rating are improved by plot rank and by the governing SPECIAL stat of the plot operator. There is a whole meta game of identifying, training and assigning optimal plot operators, I spend vast amounts of time loving with this poo poo, it's depressing tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mutant Headcrab
May 14, 2007
Sim Settlements 2 has convinced me that what I want most from a game is just straight up Wasteland Sim City.

Pro Tip: Mama Murphy is an Industrial plot god with a Strength of 19.