Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Second Hand Meat Mouth posted:

pfc rents out that joke

That's right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

This makes you a jokelord

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C6Pl6sSJIDg/

love cars, and their drivers.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

A few people in the comments defending driving on the wrong side of the road and a couple blaming foreigners. :nallears:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_S7GU9lDpq8

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
oh sure I'll watch half an hour of an adult man talking into the camera like this

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

that's not an adult

Apr 7, 2003

Been seeing a lot of posts on social media lately about "public transit only lets me go where the government wants me to go, but cars give me the freedom to do what I want!" I wonder what think tank focus group cooked that one up.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Riding my bike in the CBD this evening I had two idiots on scooters try to get hit by me. One veered out into the bike lane without looking and the other overtook and pulled in front of me and then made a sudden stop.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Been seeing a lot of posts on social media lately about "public transit only lets me go where the government wants me to go, but cars give me the freedom to do what I want!" I wonder what think tank focus group cooked that one up.

jordan peterson tweeted something like that several months ago. it's kind of fascinating in that it gives a window into what concepts like "freedom" and "the government" mean to suburban reactionaries

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Oh, he had a follow-up to this all-timer?

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

nah, I think that's the one. maybe the quote I was think of was in one of the replies. I wonder what it's like to have a worldview where roads are a part of the natural landscape

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

Tiggum posted:

Riding my bike in the CBD this evening I had two idiots on scooters try to get hit by me. One veered out into the bike lane without looking and the other overtook and pulled in front of me and then made a sudden stop.

Scooterers are somehow more blind and clueless than regular drivers. Recently I've seen a ton of people driving actual scooters/mopeds in the protected bike lanes which is fantastically stupid from a safety perspective because now you've got this really fast vehicle jumping out blind into intersections with cars instead just being in traffic like normal. It's not even like there's actual traffic when I've seen them do it so what are they thinking

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

[Following the green signs with letters as tall as a man along a continuous ribbon of rock carved into the landscape]: “The government doesn’t want me to do this.”

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
it is my right as a red-blooded frontiersman to get into my three-ton adult baby carriage and putter around a massive drive-through mall while drinking a caffeinated milkshake the size of my forearm and the government can't tell me not to!!!

Apr 7, 2003

Magic Hate Ball posted:

it is my right as a red-blooded frontiersman to get into my three-ton adult baby carriage and putter around a massive drive-through mall while drinking a caffeinated milkshake the size of my forearm and the government can't tell me not to!!!

The literal argument I saw last time on that front was "I can throw some guns in my truck and drive to a ranch in Wyoming and I wouldn't be able to do that on transit because that requires government permission"

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

the roads you drive on: not the government

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

driving on government roads also requires government permission, it is called a drivers license

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
You would get shot when you showed up at the ranch in Wyoming [with guns].

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

lobster shirt posted:

driving on government roads also requires government permission, it is called a drivers license

Not if you are Travelling, then you can invoke [sic] Admirality Law and the road is legally international waters

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

lobster shirt posted:

And registration. And proof of insurance. And correctly-aimed headlights, seat belts, windows below a certain tint level, tires with functioning treads, etc., etc., etc. When you are driving a car, you are under the auspices of more government regulation than any other time in your life, with the possible exceptions of being in the military or being in prison.

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
sir you are beign charged with driving under the auspices

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
lol even when cops manage to do even just a little bit to people kill others in cars, they change their minds then destroy all the records.

https://www.kiro7.com/news/local/washington-state-patrol-fined-750k-not-providing-public-records-fatal-crash/DYWROVRYDJAJPAJ3JVZBOD5LBQ/

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

drive safe out there. watch out for idiots

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Mad?

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

lmao

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

silicone thrills posted:

lol even when cops manage to do even just a little bit to people kill others in cars, they change their minds then destroy all the records.

https://www.kiro7.com/news/local/washington-state-patrol-fined-750k-not-providing-public-records-fatal-crash/DYWROVRYDJAJPAJ3JVZBOD5LBQ/

quote:

We’re Sorry!
This website is unavailable in your location.

Error 451
It appears you are attempting to access this website from a country outside of the United States, therefore access cannot be granted at this time.
You're sorry about the deliberate choice you made to restrict access to your site? What a pity that there's literally nothing you can do about it.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://twitter.com/FixorFkit/status/1787197847198446005

Autopilot… based?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

I like that it's perfectly willing to cross a double yellow to pass. That would be straight up illegal here.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

it’s illegal everywhere in the states ive ever lived though i can’t recall ever knowing anyone who said they’d been ticketed for it so, generously, sporadically enforced

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
It is straight up illegal in America but the cop has to bother to ticket someone for dangerous driving.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

lobster shirt posted:

Let's be honest the reason why nobody thinks this is because the government never actually takes away someone's license when they should

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
most of America is deeply car brained and live in areas public transit does not exist, so they see driving as an extension of their day to day like making GBS threads and probably see it as a right.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
I'm fine with cars crossing double yellow to pass a cyclist or a parked car or whatever, but they gotta be able to see oncoming traffic obviously. Better than the alternative which happened to my wife where a driver thought they could squeeze by in the same lane as her on her bike

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
lol its not illegal to cross the double yellow while going around a cyclist you fuckin shut ins

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I mean the other other alternative is that you just shouldn't try to overtake a cyclist at all if it's a two-lane road

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

500excf type r posted:

lol its not illegal to cross the double yellow while going around a cyclist you fuckin shut ins

what about to pass a horse-and-buggy

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

500excf type r posted:

Yeah it is.

It’s legal to cross a double yellow to make a turn, but not to pass.

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

500excf type r posted:

solid yellow lines denote a place where it's not safe to pass. afaik it's illegal to cross a solid yellow line to pass something that isn't stopped or moving extremely slowly. a cyclist doing 40 kph downhill wouldn't be legal to pass imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

500excf type r posted:

Wow, I'm shocked the person named after a dirt bike and with one as their avatar doesn't know the rules of the road.