Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

SynthesisAlpha posted:

I moved from the office kitchen to the manufacturing west kitchen and water does suck because I haven't found any tainted water pools there. What I've done is set up 4 portable stoves with 8 cook pots around the fountain in the office tram depot. I'm going to keep adding more so I can just empty and fill pots endlessly. Then I pack up the water coolers and haul them back.

Portal worlds respawn items, so you can grab more power cells from Flathill and make the scrapshot. Don't let the 12 damage fool you, it fires a LOT of projectiles. Point blank headshots can one shot something that takes 2-3 clips of the security pistol.

Also there is an armor set from manufacturing that has 40 total armor and a set bonus of deflecting a large percentage of incoming bullets. You move slow as gently caress but who cares! Alive and slow is better than fast and dead!

I crafted the FORGE gloves for myself, but we haven't been able to find a second blacksmith gloves for my friend. Is that something that also respawns when the respawn message comes, since it's a unique item?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
No, there are quite a few there. Just keep exploring.

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

twistedmentat posted:

An issue that killed Ark Ascended for me is that you can't edit the ini to increase your level cap. I'll have to wait until mods start appearing to give it a go. I very much dislike level caps in survival games if they also give you tons and tons and tons of cool stuff to learn. Conan isn't too bad because you can collect items that give you skill points to unlock stuff.

There's a setting in the server files for dedicated servers that just has you learn all the engrams for each level as you level up, and unlike A:SE it doesn't crash your game when activated.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Tsilkani posted:

There's a setting in the server files for dedicated servers that just has you learn all the engrams for each level as you level up, and unlike A:SE it doesn't crash your game when activated.

I thought that didn't work either?

Is Abotic Factor set in what is essentially an SCP facility? That's definitely the vibe i get from it.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

twistedmentat posted:

Is Abotic Factor set in what is essentially an SCP facility? That's definitely the vibe i get from it.

It's Black Mesa from Halflife mixed in with the SCP foundation.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Another AF question: By the time you're in manufacturing, a lot of things need screws, which means I go through scrap metal pretty quickly. What's the best way to farm it? Just go to Flathill and scrap all the furniture you find? I'm gonna need a ton.

pedro0930 posted:

There is unlimited sewer water right in the tunnel in front of the black Smith coming out of the grate for you to process.
Yeah, was gonna point this out. It just looks like a little runoff but it's a full on infinite source.
There's also a huge tank of clean water nearby, I think in the big green room? Looks like a giant standing tank and you might not think you can interact with it but it lights up when you get close. I don't know if it ever refills, but should keep you for a long time. Did find out that sinks apparently refill, but very slowly!

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Vib Rib posted:

Another AF question: By the time you're in manufacturing, a lot of things need screws, which means I go through scrap metal pretty quickly. What's the best way to farm it? Just go to Flathill and scrap all the furniture you find? I'm gonna need a ton.

Yeah, was gonna point this out. It just looks like a little runoff but it's a full on infinite source.
There's also a huge tank of clean water nearby, I think in the big green room? Looks like a giant standing tank and you might not think you can interact with it but it lights up when you get close. I don't know if it ever refills, but should keep you for a long time. Did find out that sinks apparently refill, but very slowly!

Keep a few to hold water in, but the metal barrels around manufacturing give a lot of metal scrap when you recycle them as well.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Ibram Gaunt posted:

It's Black Mesa from Halflife mixed in with the SCP foundation.

That's a very cool idea for a setting for a survival game.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

That's a very cool idea for a setting for a survival game.

It’s really unique and the systems in place are mostly very solid. I’m still only in the second area but it’s been one of the standout survival games in recent memory for me.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Well. Took a ton of resources but (Abiotic Factor late sector 3) friend and I killed the Tarasque thinking it'd get us the ichor we needed..but it only dropped a bio scrap. Was this a bug? ugh. Hope it respawns.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
Not far into Abiotic factor, still tooling around the offices but I'm at the part where I need to get cpus from security bots and needing to get 3 of them is a chore. Its easy to cheese their pathfinding and just shoot crossbow darts at them, but it takes forever.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

CitizenKain posted:

Not far into Abiotic factor, still tooling around the offices but I'm at the part where I need to get cpus from security bots and needing to get 3 of them is a chore. Its easy to cheese their pathfinding and just shoot crossbow darts at them, but it takes forever.

Traps are your friend. Tripwire mines do pretty crazy damage, and the electric stun traps automatically recharge. I'm pretty confident it's the intended way to beat them that early.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
Yeah, trap is magnitudes better than whatever weapon you have in the first zone. Even the chopper trap works great against the bots. Later on grenade is also extremely effective.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

CitizenKain posted:

Honestly finding them is a bigger roadblock than killing them, there's a few spawn points but you can't get that many within one in-game day.
I think 3 for the hacker is a pretty tall ask, and in multiplayer it means really grinding it out to get everyone their own hacker or just having one person play Hackerman for the team, which admittedly isn't too bad.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

The new patch notes say

quote:

A few key enemies will now always drop their gib loot, instead of bio scrap.

I wonder if this is related to the problem you guys were describing earlier, or something else?

Here's the rest of the notes.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/427410/discussions/7/4357872562128717794/

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Every new sector seems bigger and weirder than the last. The pests explode now. I have a friend only I can see, they seem cool. Once I find a couple more ingredients I can make a sledgehammer I slap laser mines onto the head of.

Game is good, y’all.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
How do you move pets around? I trapped a Pest in the offices in a cage but I can't seem to carry him with me. Wanted to bring him home.

Bussamove posted:

Keep a few to hold water in, but the metal barrels around manufacturing give a lot of metal scrap when you recycle them as well.
This helps but I was hoping for something a bit more renewable.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Started playing AF, day two there's a robot still traipsing about looking for me even though it's "daytime". The backpack limitations suck. Still neat.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I think I'll wait for full release on AF.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

The Lone Badger posted:

I think I'll wait for full release on AF.
If I had the willpower, this is what I would've done for sure. Definitely better than getting drip-fed content that may still not be finished or balanced. But alas, I am weak.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I will say there's a lot more content in this build than I expected. And with two more sectors coming this summer it's definitely farther along than your usual EA survivalcraft game fare. IMO.

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

twistedmentat posted:

I thought that didn't work either?

It's working on the Scorched Earth server I'm running for a few friends, using the ASA Manager https://asadedicatedmanager.eu/

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Bussamove posted:

It’s really unique and the systems in place are mostly very solid. I’m still only in the second area but it’s been one of the standout survival games in recent memory for me.

That's really cool. All the ones recently have had some gimmick that is intresting, but i'm not 100% sure about the implementation of them. LIke Nightingale's portal system just confuses me and Like Enshrouded, having stuff gated by quests is super annoying. I don't want to have to fight a giant rear end dragon or hunt down 50 wolves to get the next tier of tools.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

TeaJay posted:

The new patch notes say

I wonder if this is related to the problem you guys were describing earlier, or something else?

Here's the rest of the notes.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/427410/discussions/7/4357872562128717794/

Good news for the goon who was having this issue and others who were concerned:

quote:

Plants and other items will no longer decay when no one is present on the server. Plants will still grow for a time, however, and may need water when scientists return to their crops.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

That's really cool. All the ones recently have had some gimmick that is intresting, but i'm not 100% sure about the implementation of them. LIke Nightingale's portal system just confuses me and Like Enshrouded, having stuff gated by quests is super annoying. I don't want to have to fight a giant rear end dragon or hunt down 50 wolves to get the next tier of tools.

I don’t know how Nightingale’s portals work, but AF has other worlds you can hop in to for progression/gathering purposes. The areas are self-contained, and reset every few in-game days so you can get more of the unique/more plentiful resources that spawn in them. Their reset is accompanied by an announcement over the facility PA system and a popup on your HUD. Super straight forward.

They’re also suitably weird and have cool lore associated with them.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

twistedmentat posted:

I mean, it's just a means of progression in both cases :shrug: Nightingale is pretty specific with "in order to unlock the next type of portal you need to beat this dungeon" and those dungeons have a gear score requirement. So you make the gear which is doable from the portals you have available and then do the dungeon/fight the boss and get your thingamabob. Enshrouded is pretty much the same, in that you need to get the next NPC to get stuffs to upgrade your flame altar which is what makes the shrouds go from red to passable. Whether or not that's enjoyable to you is a matter of taste of course.

NG's portals consist of a biome and a "type" (forget what they're called in game). Biomes are available from the beginning and are forest, desert, and swamp in increasing difficulty. The type relates to the major faction operating in the area and also increase in difficulty though I can't remember that progression off the top of my head. You find the trader in that portal and they'll sell you schematics for better poo poo, and then you harvest up the mats in that biome and go home and make better gear. Very similar to MonHun in that regard.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Took about 25~ hours to get to the 'end' of the current build of Abiotic Factor. Good amount of content for 20 bucks IMO. Can't wait for the update over the summer.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Apparently we've got at least 4 more sectors coming, so this isn't even 50% of the game's content! Let's just hope they can deliver on what they've promised. Admittedly, they've earned a lot of good faith with what they've got already.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Value for money is kinda insane when you consider how many hours of enjoyment we get from games for what typically amounts to the price of a rather large fast food order.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

This latest update from like a day or so ago added server browser (thank god) and some other stuff but...has anyone else had shutters just auto disengage after like a minute now? Our base is in the security room and the shutters were a godsend against things invading at night but now they won't stay closed..

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Ibram Gaunt posted:

This latest update from like a day or so ago added server browser (thank god) and some other stuff but...has anyone else had shutters just auto disengage after like a minute now? Our base is in the security room and the shutters were a godsend against things invading at night but now they won't stay closed..
Yeah that's in the patch notes. It's intentional, and it's designed to counter exactly what you were doing.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Ah drat. Well if it's intentional that's fine. We had the hallways defended by tesla coils anyways.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

We still have our base set up in the cafeteria because it’s nice and centralized with the tram system, but invasions are really annoying because the rifts just pop in inside our base so it’s hard to set up defenses that won’t also kill us. :v:

On the plus side we have x-ray towers now so the unwelcome guest is less of a hassle!

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
Gave Ostranauts a shot and it just feels like a tedium simulator to me. I like the idea of scavenging derelict ships for fun and profit but everything around it feels so tedious, especially determining what's valuable and selling your poo poo afterwards.

My ship has a nav computer, why do I have to do this asteroids rear end flying and lame docking BS that isn't challenging or interesting in any way but consumes several minutes per trip leg? Why do I have to lug my poo poo manually one load at a time to go sell it just to find out the shop isn't buying any of my bullshit today? Why do I have a pocket computer but can't figure out what's valuable or not when I'm actually scavenging?

From what I read of the dev's comments on the Steam forums it seems the intended way to play is to check what the shop is buying before I go out, and I guess just remember or write down this huge list before I go? Hell even getting that list is a pain, first time I expanded it the game took 5-10+ seconds to generate that list for some reason.

The core gameplay of scavenging poo poo to use or resell is somewhat fun and interesting, though the UI around all of it is very clunky.

e: lol at posting about tedium simulators in the genre about tedium simulation but you know what I mean

RandomBlue fucked around with this message at 18:00 on May 7, 2024

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

LOL, yeah I do sometimes wonder for example how many trees I've punched. For fun

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

YerDa Zabam posted:

LOL, yeah I do sometimes wonder for example how many trees I've punched. For fun

jesus I never want to see that number

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

YerDa Zabam posted:

I've never wondered that before and now I feel the need to really examine how I'm spending my time on earth.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Ah drat. Well if it's intentional that's fine. We had the hallways defended by tesla coils anyways.

I was in the process of moving my base up there, night hit so I hadn't setup more then a few desks in the door and the bed in the locker room. Go to sleep and woke up to the Peccary bouncing around the outside room. I didn't notice the shutters reopened.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire
God drat did not expect the sector 3 portal world but got drat it was good. Abiotic Factor has continued to impress me as I keep playing. If the first EA build is this good the finished game is really going to be something special.

As a heads up for anyone getting close to 10 accuracy, the recipe for the biometric arm wraps needs 10 military arms. Chop up those bodies!.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

If I have any gripe with Abiotic Factor it’s giving you useful four piece set bonuses and then making the Biometic gloves take up your arm slot.