Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Hell yeah enjoy the golden dice. :buddy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martian
May 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
People finishing honor mode left and right, while I take a month to finish the Underdark ok Balanced :negative:

Looks like I'm done though!

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

The Shame Boy posted:

It specifically has to be you since she's not there if shart does the thing instead. But it's still the same result for Last Light anyway so you'd think it wouldent matter to Fel so much :shrug:

Unless they changed it in a recent patch, I did the Shart thing in my Durge playthrough and still got the Sceleritas Fel scene and its attendant reward--IIRC he even had some alt. dialogue reflecting the, erm... extreme overkill of it all.

EDIT: Thinking about it, in my game Isobel was still at Last Light when Shart did the thing, so maybe it doesn't count if she was captured and not rescued?

GimpInBlack fucked around with this message at 09:46 on May 6, 2024

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Martian posted:

People finishing honor mode left and right, while I take a month to finish the Underdark ok Balanced :negative:

My first Balanced run took Literally Forever and I found the game very hard! After you beat it once though you understand the mechanics and the different encounters you'll face and are maybe more opening to reading tips since you won't get MASSIVELY spoiled. Knowing what spells and abilities and classes and items are good is huge. As is knowing what enemies are gonna do. And which situations are easy XP or absolutely suck rear end and should be saved for later. I'm horrified by my Steam play time so I do not blame anyone who just wants to beat this enormous game once and move on with their life :)

One random tip for anyone thinking about honor mode: as you work up to it, try not to exploit things that specifically do not work in HM. I hosed myself in a few spots by getting comfy with the Perilous Stakes tadpole power. It's basically an I Win button that doesn't work on HM. So there were places where I had used it on Tactician and then had an extremely rude awakening when I couldn't delete the boss turn 1 on HM. There's a list here, make sure to follow the link to the undocumented changes too (probably spoilers in there).

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Docjowles posted:

Well that's a huge load off. Honor mode done :slick: Feels very good man

Massive caveat that I did the bare minimum in act 3 to get over the finish line but it felt almost inevitable once I got past that rear end in a top hat act 2 end boss. At no time was I seriously worried about wiping whereas I spent most of acts 1 and 2 in low key terror. By the time level 10 hits you're extremely powerful and the game starts showering you in OP loot and infinite money and it all snowballs. I was nervous about the 2 murder god bosses but lol they both died before getting a turn.

The ending was... odd with so many plot threads left unresolved. Brutal but understandable was Shadowheart leaving me after our post-Netherbrain gently caress to go figure her poo poo out because we didn't do House of Grief :smith:. Lae'zel was also extremely mad at me in the moment but weirdly sentimental in the epilogue.

REALLY wish I hadn't hosed up the Tiefling achievement because that and "evilest possible Durge choices" are about all I have left and I think those are incompatible.

Need to take a breather but I look forward to a completionist HM run at some point to see all the optional bosses. Not sure if I will do "real" HM again or just run the mod that's HM but no save limitations.

edit: hmm some time on google makes me think I can thread the needle of getting all my remaining achievements in one more run if I cheese just right. Maybe when the next patch drops.

hell yeah. grats

also yeah, most "skill" at bg3 comes down to knowing each individual encounter much more than knowing the game systems and mechanics in general. if you know the encounter there are 500 ways to solve it and you only need one, if you know the game systems but not the encounter there are instead 500 ways to gently caress it up and you also only need one.

Zodium fucked around with this message at 10:21 on May 6, 2024

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!

Martian posted:

If it makes you feel better, I'm right at the transition from Act 2 to Act 3 at ~90 hours in. It's not a short game, that's for sure. And, speaking of the end of Act 2,

Episodeon XC: Welcome to Mystery Flesh Pit National Park

Note, this post is going to look like a CIA document release, considering the amount of Plot™ in it.

yep, definitely a flesh pit. but hey, at least I found my friend Us, and Zevlor, and Mizora I GUESS UGH.
and oh right, I was supposed to bring my boyfriend along so he could blow himself up. silly me how could I forget?

okay, that puzzle was actually kinda neat. getting yelled at by a creepy wall mural? not so neat. but eating a guy's brain and getting a bonus from it? neat.
also I went through this whole area using as little magic and abilities as possible, because I wasn't sure if I'd be able to replenish slots. oops!

oh poo poo oh poo poo oh poo poo OH poo poo OH GOD OH gently caress but hey, I made the roll to skip the first phase :toot:
on the elevator ride going to this, I do not like the idea that your party can feel the tadpoles squirming in their heads. :stonklol:

...the fight was actually kinda understated, all things considered. the Avatar of Myrkul decided it would be a good idea to draw Lae'zel in. it was not a good idea.
add a divine smite from Zehra, upcast for style points, and...Jesus, calm down Dame Aylin he's already dead
what the hell, you're getting blood everywhere (please ignore what my character usually looks like)
i looted Ketheric's body, of course, and found the note on it, and... :smith: you were probably an okay guy at some point, I think

"I just wanted to let you know good luck, we're all counting on you."

minthara is quickly becoming my favorite party member. and the reunion scene between Isobel and Aylin is just way too sweet to not post. :allears:

I believe I hit every side quest and hidden item in this chapter, except for the one with He Who Was that, apparently, will break your Paladin oath no matter what you do. I guess you can kill him and not break it, but then you get a bunch of nothing so why bother? Yes, I could buy the oath back, but I don't want to, it feels dirty.

Solo Wing Pixy fucked around with this message at 10:33 on May 6, 2024

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

Note, this post is going to look like a CIA document release

lmao. I really enjoy your travelogue, please keep it up

Aylin is certainly, uh, intense. If you play your cards right she will wreck someone even worse in act 3 :black101:

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

...the fight was actually kinda understated, all things considered. the Avatar of Myrkul decided it would be a good idea to draw Lae'zel in. it was not a good idea.

On my last playthrough I decided to go with a maximum damage output party just for shits and giggles. The way that fight went for me:

Ketheric Thorm: "I will kill you now. And then I will raise you as my servant."

Me: "Bold talk for a man who just lost initiative to a dual crossbow swordsbard, an open-hand TB monk, a throwbarian, and a storm priest."

Ketheric: "Hmm?"

A FEW SECONDS LATER

Ketheric: OH GOD HOW CAN IT HURT SO MUCH

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Zodium posted:

hell yeah. grats

also yeah, most "skill" at bg3 comes down to knowing each individual encounter much more than knowing the game systems and mechanics in general. if you know the encounter there are 500 ways to solve it and you only need one, if you know the game systems but not the encounter there are instead 500 ways to gently caress it up and you also only need one.

this is true of Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 also! :D

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I will never understand why sometimes characters can't take a turn, why sometimes characters seem to take multiple turns. No one was surprised, no one's sneaking, so why does Gale not get a turn, why does the guy shooting arrows at as get two? On the next turn Shadowheart doesn't get to do anything. No spells in effect, no AoE or movement penalties, just gets skipped altogether. Is there some secret roll I'm missing that's like... anti-initiative? It happens in almost every battle and I'm sick of it.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

If your characters are spread far enough apart that you get pulled into combat without a full party, then the encounter will continue without them until they either draw in proximity aggro or reveal themselves to the enemy. If this happens you can just wait on the initiating character's turn forever until your other party members enter the fight. This is even to your advantage if any of them are concealed or sneaking, because you can still ambush the enemy or get into a more favorable position before entering combat. If you initiate combat from stealth while another party member is currently engaged with the enemy, then that will count as a character action, i.e. Gale is already in combat, Shadowheart sneaks in and misses with firebolt, that still counts as her turn for the round. You can see exactly whose turn it is and who is in the queue by looking at the top bar. There are multiple reasons why a character's turn might get skipped (stunned, fell prone, surprised, etc.) but they're all caused by things the enemy does to you, not some inherent numerical value.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

Dick Trauma posted:

I will never understand why sometimes characters can't take a turn, why sometimes characters seem to take multiple turns. No one was surprised, no one's sneaking, so why does Gale not get a turn, why does the guy shooting arrows at as get two? On the next turn Shadowheart doesn't get to do anything. No spells in effect, no AoE or movement penalties, just gets skipped altogether. Is there some secret roll I'm missing that's like... anti-initiative? It happens in almost every battle and I'm sick of it.

The NPCs probably aren't getting multiple turns in a row, they probably just have multiple attacks, action surge, etc. As for why your PCs aren't getting turns, there are various conditions that can cause you to miss a turn, like Frightened, Paralyzed, etc. I suppose it's also possible you've encountered some extremely weird bug, but I've never had a case of an NPC getting multiple full turns in a row or a PC skipping their turn without there being a reason.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.
Two dumb things it took me until Act 3 to finally realize.
1) How to perform a non-lethal attack without the special club that does them exclusively. (I never even noticed those sub-category buttons at the bottom of the screen before, and never would have thought to check for a toggle under 'passive')
2) That while throwing a potion bottle to an NPC causes it to shatter on them and cause them to become hostile -- throwing it on the ground next to them counts as them using it via the splash effect.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

n/m

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 13:39 on May 6, 2024

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
I just started playing this game with my wife. We're both new to the game. I'm vaguely familiar with DnD and my wife knows fantasy's stuff. We're playing on the lowest difficulty, so we can't multiclass. I read the first post. Anything else we should look out for?

I'm realizing my wife and I have drastically different play styles.

Me: can we talk to these goblins?
wife: Karlach yeets goblin

And

Wife: why are they attacking me?
Me: you committed murder in front of them

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

EricFate posted:

1) How to perform a non-lethal attack without the special club that does them exclusively. (I never even noticed those sub-category buttons at the bottom of the screen before, and never would have thought to check for a toggle under 'passive')
2) That while throwing a potion bottle to an NPC causes it to shatter on them and cause them to become hostile -- throwing it on the ground next to them counts as them using it via the splash effect.

The game gives you a tutorial on non-lethal attacks when you fight the masked people in the hag's lair in Act 1, but it's possible to miss it if you never went there or turned tutorials off before that. (Now that I think about it, there are multiple pretty important tutorials in that one specific area; there's one on traps too.)

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

I just started playing this game with my wife. We're both new to the game. I'm vaguely familiar with DnD and my wife knows fantasy's stuff. We're playing on the lowest difficulty, so we can't multiclass. I read the first post. Anything else we should look out for?

I'm realizing my wife and I have drastically different play styles.

Me: can we talk to these goblins?
wife: Karlach yeets goblin

And

Wife: why are they attacking me?
Me: you committed murder in front of them

if you post your class we can give you a build that'll carry for murderhobo wife, but on the lowest difficulty you can really just kick back and enjoy the story.

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

Thuryl posted:

The game gives you a tutorial on non-lethal attacks when you fight the masked people in the hag's lair in Act 1, but it's possible to miss it if you never went there or turned tutorials off before that. (Now that I think about it, there are multiple pretty important tutorials in that one specific area; there's one on traps too.)

Anyone have tips for not exploding or gassing yourself all the time on the way down, if you haven’t enough crap to throw on the gas outlets? I hate that section more than anything!

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

I used feather fall and jumped to the bottom.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

F4rt5 posted:

Anyone have tips for not exploding or gassing yourself all the time on the way down, if you haven’t enough crap to throw on the gas outlets? I hate that section more than anything!

you can superhero jump down, but it's a good idea to keep a stack of items for vent traps. bones and skulls are plentiful and have negligible weight, so that's what I use.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
So, my current game, I'm dipping my toes into multiclassing. Pretty much every single guide I've been using involves dipping into Rogue to get extra actions. Is this pretty much standard? Most of my characters at this point (level 10) are at least a Rogue 4. Or maybe the person who wrote the guides I'm using is sticking too much to 1 formula?

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

Nihonniboku posted:

So, my current game, I'm dipping my toes into multiclassing. Pretty much every single guide I've been using involves dipping into Rogue to get extra actions. Is this pretty much standard? Most of my characters at this point (level 10) are at least a Rogue 4. Or maybe the person who wrote the guides I'm using is sticking too much to 1 formula?

If your main class has lots of good uses for bonus actions (e.g. monk, dual-wielding anything, Berserker barbarian, etc.) a 3-level dip in rogue is pretty fantastic. If you don't rely on bonus actions very much, like a wizard, warlock, paladin, etc., it's not as useful (though since you're automatically picking up the cunning actions at rogue 2, it's always at least moderately useful). And once you're at rogue 3, it can be a good idea to go one more level to get a feat out of it, but IMO that's something where you need to consider against whatever you'd be giving up in your other class(es). I would probably not bother on spellcasters especially, as that's effectively costing you two levels worth of spells, but for builds like Open-Hand monk, dual crossbow swordsbard, or throwbarian it's an extremely good idea.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

there isn't really a good reason to stay with dual xbows on sword bard once you get titanstring bow or the deadshot, so it's basically for throwbarbs and OH monks.

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

Nihonniboku posted:

Thief's extra bonus action is super strong but there are a lot of classes that don't need it at all. Lots of builds, for instance, will have two levels of Fighter for action surge, which gets you extra actions, not bonus actions. But a couple levels of, or starting as, rogue or bard for skill access is pretty strong in a lot of cases.

I think of my current optimized roster in my ongoing playthrough I've got two characters who took thief. It's not, like, mandatory.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

In general, though, unless you have a very specific build in mind, you usually want to wait until after level 5 in your main class to start multiclassing, since level 5 is a big breakpoint in power for most classes (fighty-types generally get their second attack, full casters get 3rd level spells which are a big power bump, etc.)

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

For most multiclassing it makes the most sense to go to 7 or 8 in your starting class until you reach whatever thing makes switching over worth it after you drop your main class back down to 5.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Zodium posted:

there isn't really a good reason to stay with dual xbows on sword bard once you get titanstring bow or the deadshot, so it's basically for throwbarbs and OH monks.

Ha, I am indeed running Astarion as a dual crossbow sword bard. Plain rogues don't seem to do enough damage for me, but maybe I'm doing them wrong

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

sword bard wants high per-shot main hand damage because of flourishes, so you generally only want to run xbows in the early game. not to say that you can't run it to end of game if you like the pistols at dawn aesthetic, though.

edit: though i feel you must then run Marksmanship Hat.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Rogues are unfortunately a very frontloaded class in 5E. Once you've plugged the first three points into Thief or Assassin you've seen pretty much all there is to see. They're the only martial class that doesn't get an extra attack at Level 5, which puts them at a strict disadvantage in the action economy. Of course those same aspects also make them very strong multiclassers.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Zodium posted:

sword bard wants high per-shot main hand damage because of flourishes, so you generally only want to run xbows in the early game. not to say that you can't run it to end of game if you like the pistols at dawn aesthetic, though.

edit: though i feel you must then run Marksmanship Hat.

What do you do late game in that case? I just got to Act III, and the flourishes were still pretty handy taking out Myrkul. I managed to kill him in just 3 turns, and the first turn was just getting people in place to takeout the mindflayer, and freeing Aydin, with Tav as an open handed monk, Astarion as dual crossbow bard, La'zael as a straight up fighter, and Shadowheart as a straight up cleric.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

F4rt5 posted:

Cast protection from good and evil on your tav and put on the hag's mask. The traps will deactivate as you walk into them.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Nihonniboku posted:

Ha, I am indeed running Astarion as a dual crossbow sword bard. Plain rogues don't seem to do enough damage for me, but maybe I'm doing them wrong

Rogue as a main class never hooked me either. You really need to make sure you're getting a sneak attack every turn otherwise it's just one lovely attack and you're done. Besides attacking from stealth, if another character is in melee range of an enemy (they'll have the "threatened" condition) you can sneak attack them too. Once I realized this rogue felt like less of a wet noodle but it's still not my favorite. I always respec Astarion to monk pretty early.

Multiclassing for the extra bonus action on a monk or throwbarb though, oh boy :getin:

F4rt5 posted:

I ended up getting poison resistance on everyone and yoloing through it as fast as possible. Cleric in camp, potions, whatever. Chug a healing pot or two on the other side as necessary. This is admittedly not as cool as the super hero jump.

EricFate posted:

Related, it took me WAY too long to realize that if you go non-lethal it turns off the Cull the Weak tadpole power. In hindsight this makes total sense so you don't accidentally gib the person you were trying to knock out. But for a very long time I thought the ability was just broken.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Nihonniboku posted:

What do you do late game in that case? I just got to Act III, and the flourishes were still pretty handy taking out Myrkul. I managed to kill him in just 3 turns, and the first turn was just getting people in place to takeout the mindflayer, and freeing Aydin, with Tav as an open handed monk, Astarion as dual crossbow bard, La'zael as a straight up fighter, and Shadowheart as a straight up cleric.

to be clear, xbows are more than good enough to finish the game with. titanstring/deadshot are just better, so if you're going to be doing optimized multiclassing, you might as well do that.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Zodium posted:

to be clear, xbows are more than good enough to finish the game with. titanstring/deadshot are just better, so if you're going to be doing optimized multiclassing, you might as well do that.

Gotcha, thanks. So you just use 1 crossbow or regular bow with that? I'll have to look into that.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Docjowles posted:

Rogue as a main class never hooked me either. You really need to make sure you're getting a sneak attack every turn otherwise it's just one lovely attack and you're done. Besides attacking from stealth, if another character is in melee range of an enemy (they'll have the "threatened" condition) you can sneak attack them too. Once I realized this rogue felt like less of a wet noodle but it's still not my favorite. I always respec Astarion to monk pretty early.

Risky Ring was my favorite item in my first run through, Astarion was a damage dealing machine. My first run through I didn't do any respeccing or multiclassing except changing Shadowheart from Trickery to War. So I was TAV (Moon Druid), Astarion, Shadowheart and Gale and Astarion was 100% the MVP of that group for damage.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Zodium posted:

if you post your class we can give you a build that'll carry for murderhobo wife, but on the lowest difficulty you can really just kick back and enjoy the story.

We're only level 4.

She's playing a necromancer wizard. I think she'll focus more on the damage for a wizard. And she's enjoying Karlach the barbarian thrower.

I'm playing an orc fighter and switching out my companion for whoever. Usually I'm switching around Shadowheart for Bless or or whoever. I think I'll reroll my fighter to a Bard for more buffs and control.

Anything to help my wife's necromancer? She found Second Marriage.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I'm struggling with a battle that I've wiped on probably six times, BUT on the latest wipe there was a moment where one of the enemies was about to do a A Bad Thing and Gale was standing right next to him, out of spell slots and almost dead and he just pushed the creep off a balcony and the fall killed it.

I'm going to see if there's anything else I can do in the Underdark to level up before returning to this battle. I don't like having to remember to come back to complete a single encounter but I also don't want to bang my head against a wall until it poisons my enjoyment of a game.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

Lol well, that was a quick honor run. Decided to try a githyanki monk, but like a fool was like "I'll role play as a githyanki, none of this "recruiting ist'ik or helping people nonsense."

So I recovered Lae'zel, got the Intel from Zorru about where he saw some gith, and headed off for some easy "not having to lie about the artifact because I don't have it yet" XP.

Except that I got a little turned around trying to avoid the gnolls on the Risen Road, bumped into Karlach, and since Lae'zel thought she'd be useful, I let her tag along.

Which was enough for Voss to accuse me of consorting with locals, I beefed the Performance check to convince him she was just a local guide who we'd kill later, and aggro'ed the whole patrol.

RIP Bak'mei, the White Eyebrow, Betrayer of Vlaakith, you never got a chance to actually betray Vlaakith.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

GimpInBlack posted:

Lol well, that was a quick honor run. Decided to try a githyanki monk, but like a fool was like "I'll role play as a githyanki, none of this "recruiting ist'ik or helping people nonsense."

So I recovered Lae'zel, got the Intel from Zorru about where he saw some gith, and headed off for some easy "not having to lie about the artifact because I don't have it yet" XP.

Except that I got a little turned around trying to avoid the gnolls on the Risen Road, bumped into Karlach, and since Lae'zel thought she'd be useful, I let her tag along.

Which was enough for Voss to accuse me of consorting with locals, I beefed the Performance check to convince him she was just a local guide who we'd kill later, and aggro'ed the whole patrol.

RIP Bak'mei, the White Eyebrow, Betrayer of Vlaakith, you never got a chance to actually betray Vlaakith.

I think you did by virtue of merely considering to consort with the ignorant yokel locals of Fae Run, OP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

Anything to help my wife's necromancer? She found Second Marriage.

How comfortable is she with micro managing? Necromancer towards the end of the game gets the ability to summon tons of minions but as a consequence combat can take forever.

But the easiest one is to have Karlach grab any corpses that aren’t damaged from fire or elemental damage and send them to camp so you have a supply of minions.