Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Thank you, although I just reread Oxyclean's post and realized I can't read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Professor Beetus posted:

Yeah that's probably the way it should be but otoh I would strongly recommend against trying to rush from the end of HW to Dawntrail in 2 months. Particularly if end of HW means the expansion and not the end of the patch content.

We just did Baelsar's, so they're basically on the doorstep of SB. I don't think the intent is to rush through to Dawntrail in two months, but getting to Shadowbringers is probably pretty doable. And honestly, the bigger bummer for them is just not being able to get any more fisher levels from ocean voyages. :v:

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Electric Phantasm posted:

Thank you, although I just reread Oxyclean's post and realized I can't read.

I mean you ARE a ffxiv player.

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

The good news is, there's no shortage of things to do while waiting, such as

Manderville quests (there's a lot of them, don't try to marathon it)
Doman restoration (not a huge time investment, but it's gated weekly)
Coils of Bahamut (get some help unsyncing it for the story)
Tribe quests (not all of them are winners, but they all give mounts/minions, and usually other good stuff; ARR ones in particular allow you to buy crafting mats that Free Trial players can't get off the MB)

This is of course in addition to all the Normal/Alliance Raids and optional Trials series. I would not recommend free trial players to touch Eureka, since there's a lot of very helpful and cheap items they can't get access to (Vermilion/Kirin chestpieces, harmony potions, etc).

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

Imagine casting a Holy that doesn't stun.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Verholy doesn't stun and you can't multicast Verflare so they are obviously far inferior.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
black mage has flare
summoner has painflare
red mage have verflare

what will picto have? lensflare?

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

This isn't really comparable because Red mage learns those two spells 20 levels later than their Black and White Mage counterparts.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Countblanc posted:

lensflare?

Now I desperately want this.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Countblanc posted:

black mage has flare
summoner has painflare
red mage have verflare

This is it. The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Video Games > The MMO HMO > Final Fantasy XIV: Dawntrail - Lensflare! (Patch 7.0)

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Countblanc posted:

black mage has flare
summoner has painflare
red mage have verflare

Pollock

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

Ytlaya posted:

* I'm less sure of the MSQ part now. Is MSQ daily still a good time to XP ratio? Are any of the other daily duties a better trade-off?

Alliance Raid is about half a level every day. If you're lucky enough to get a Nier raid at 80+ it's a bit over a whole level with the roulette bonus and rested xp.

Healers will have the usual fast queue, DPS will have a pretty fast queue comparably, and tanks get to wait most times.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Frontline roulette is also about half a level a day (more than that at lower levels as you get closer to level 30). You can even change jobs after you enter Frontline and you get XP for the job you queued on.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Can't Frontline below level 30, it's jobstone-only

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

Countblanc posted:

black mage has flare
summoner has painflare
red mage have verflare

pictomancer has flair

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Valentin posted:

pictomancer has flair

oh my god this is the one the translation team's gonna go with

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Valentin posted:

pictomancer has flair

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Video Games > The MMO HMO > Final Fantasy XIV: Dawntrail - Pictomancer Has Flair! (Patch 7.0)

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Reminder that the FFXVI crossover event ends Wednesday morning - so get it done by Tuesday night if you haven't already.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Also hotfix maintenance starts super early tomorrow (6PM Pacific) so keep that in mind if you were planning to do something in game tomorrow evening.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

The event is not hard or time consuming and you get multiple good boys as rewards.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Hellioning posted:

The event is not hard or time consuming and you get multiple good boys as rewards.

Yeah. I finally got around to doing it. Took maybe 30-40 minutes in total. The fight took about 7 minutes or so?

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Hellioning posted:

I tried to do the duty but blue mages kept vibe checking the dodge button and I ran out of time.

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009
The 16 event, not the Yo-Kai one.

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

Yes, Yo-Kai is sticking around until 7.0 maint.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

parasyte posted:

Alliance Raid is about half a level every day. If you're lucky enough to get a Nier raid at 80+ it's a bit over a whole level with the roulette bonus and rested xp.

Healers will have the usual fast queue, DPS will have a pretty fast queue comparably, and tanks get to wait most times.

I should probably actually do more of the Alliance Raids; I haven't even started the Shadowbringers or Endwalker ones yet. Same for the "normal" raids for those expansions; I've been hesitant to try them until I'm more comfortable with controller gameplay.

The idea of healing in an Alliance Raid with controller is kind of intimidating to me. It's already kinda tricky in normal 8-man raids/trials, where I find it difficult to quickly and accurately "scroll" down to the person I want to heal while also handling other things like mechanics.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

The idea of healing in an Alliance Raid with controller is kind of intimidating to me. It's already kinda tricky in normal 8-man raids/trials, where I find it difficult to quickly and accurately "scroll" down to the person I want to heal while also handling other things like mechanics.

Alliance raids are 24 players, but in the form of three 8 player "alliances". As a healer you're only responsible for your alliance, so it's just like healing an 8 player raid/trial except instead of an off tank there's a 5th dps. The only time you might be expected to target someone in another alliance is if both their healers are dead and need rezzed.

Edit: rereading you're post I realize you've done the heavenward ones, so you already know that. Just worried about difficulty? They're generally a bit more forgiving than the 8 player raids.

Theris fucked around with this message at 04:15 on May 6, 2024

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

no matter how bad you think you are, if you're cognizant enough to be self-conscious about how bad you think you are, you're better than probably a significant majority of players who queue for normal mode content and clear just fine

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

For most non-hardcore content, if you just toss a regen/shield on the MT and mash your AOE heals around raidwides, you’ll be a perfectly serviceable healer. If specific non-tank individuals need healing, it’s probably because they took damage they didn’t need to, and while it’s certainly nice of you to top them off if you can, it’s completely fine to let them die if you need to focus on solving mechanics and keeping yourself alive. Just make sure to res them as soon as you have a moment to breathe, assuming your co-healer hasn’t been picking up the slack.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Find it kind of funny, two weeks ago I was barely thinking about Dawntrail, like I was pretty sure I was going to play it, but it wasn't really something I was getting really hyped about. Now I can't stop thinking about it. Although, I find it funny two of the things I'm particularly anticipating are probably not coming till later patches, and aren't like 100% clear on what they'll even be like (Beastmaster, glasses/eyewear slot.)

I've come around to really appreciating that FF14 doesn't have any sort of PTR or expansion betas and so almost nothing gets spoiled, but I do sort of wish they had pre-patch periods like WoW does - I'd love to have some time to play around with and level Pictomancer and Viper before the expansion proper drops, but I suppose it's to the benefit of zone congestion that new jobs pull a few people away from MSQ on day 1.

On the subject of new jobs - I almost wonder if Dawntrail will be the last time we get 2 new ones for the expansion. I don't have anything meaningful to back this idea beyond it just feels like there is a lot of jobs for them to balance, and it feels like they're bound to get to a point where we maybe start only getting one per expansion, or even none in lieu of some other feature?

e: I'm sad portraits don't get used for Ocean Fishing. I decided to make a fisher glam and set up a portrait for the fun of it, but realized I don't think it will ever actually pop up anywhere.

Feel like it would have been funnier if I could have angled my character away from the camera so it almost looked like they were in proper perspective with the beach, but alas.

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 15:52 on May 6, 2024

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

They'll never add less than two jobs per expansion, even if they run out of ideas, because jobs are what sell the expansion to the people who don't give a poo poo about the story

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

I feel the same sorta way, in that once we got into the same month as the job actions trailer/live letter I've started counting the days until launch. It feels weirdly more tangible to say "dawntrail is a month and change away" to when the date was announced and it felt like "oh, end of June? It's the middle of march now, that's almost four whole months away!"

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

FuturePastNow posted:

They'll never add less than two jobs per expansion, even if they run out of ideas, because jobs are what sell the expansion to the people who don't give a poo poo about the story

You think so? I figured cutscene skippers mostly just care about the endgame trials, raids and loot grinds. New jobs probably appeal to that crowd too, but it feels like only if they stay mechanically interesting or end up being powerful and useful for min-maxxing that raid content. I feel like at some point they're going to have a hard time keeping new jobs mechanically distinct, but who knows.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

We're actually getting three jobs in Dawntrail even if one of them isn't coming until patch 7.5

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Oxyclean posted:

You think so? I figured cutscene skippers mostly just care about the endgame trials, raids and loot grinds. New jobs probably appeal to that crowd too, but it feels like only if they stay mechanically interesting or end up being powerful and useful for min-maxxing that raid content. I feel like at some point they're going to have a hard time keeping new jobs mechanically distinct, but who knows.
cutscene skippers are gameplay motivated but not necessarily optimization motivated. it's fun to learn new classes/jobs! sometimes that's intrinsically rewarding enough without it being optimal in some specific circumstance.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
I'd be surprised if the glasses slot didn't come with 7.0, unless I missed them pointing that way when they announced it.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

FuturePastNow posted:

We're actually getting three jobs in Dawntrail even if one of them isn't coming until patch 7.5

As someone who enjoys BLU, I don't really count it the same as other jobs - it doesn't really have the same sort of upkeep baggage that standard non-limited jobs do. It's effectively it's own side activity, and they don't really need to make sure it stays balanced with other jobs, create AF and Relics for every content cycle. Like they could go "No BLU content in Dawntrail, sorry" and it'd be a bummer, but not really a "problem."

Don't get me wrong though, there's definitely something strangely satisfying about getting more jobs, limited or otherwise.

Onean posted:

I'd be surprised if the glasses slot didn't come with 7.0, unless I missed them pointing that way when they announced it.
I wasn't really able to find much info on how it will work, just this slide from the presentation - some people in FC were speculating it might be a thing of tying fashion accessories to a glam plate, but that feels like it runs against "a new type of gear." I'm somewhat curious if stockpiling some glasses type headwear ahead of time is worthwhile, or if the glasses that go into a new slot will separate unstated pieces or if glamor plates will just accept two head slot items with some stuff in the back end to recognize what helms are allowed in the eyewear category.

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 16:26 on May 6, 2024

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
It's realistic to think they'll drop to one job per expo soon enough. On the balance and gameplay end they're going to have to keep rolling in reworks on existing jobs, both for functionality and just keeping them modern. The amount of work that goes into some reworks (SMN) probably rivals that of a new job anyways.

But each job is also another set of art assets, and there's finite resources there as well.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
To me what seems insane about continuously adding jobs is it means they'll just have to always make 2+ new weapons for every drop, forever. Most games don't have unique weapons per class so like, designing a new Sword can be useful for multiple classes, but in FFXIV it exclusively helps 1 of 20 jobs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Onean posted:

They announced it at the same time they told us about the second dye channel. They just haven't mentioned it again since