Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

https://x.com/Zeisberger/status/1787508534587838906

Starting to change my mind on this whole “Leafs need to trade Marner” business…

e: I cannot bring myself to listen to this audio so someone tell me if it sounds better or worse in context

https://x.com/bruce_arthur/status/1787518943403430388

Koopa Kid fucked around with this message at 17:33 on May 6, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

The context did not really help, no.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

I'm excited to see how much a player can be hated by his team's own fanbase.

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK
Think you might be misinterpreting the "god dammit Marner" quotes there Mitch.

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

I was going to ask if he's like.. okay the other day but it sounds like he isn't :stare:

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Mitch Marner Phil Kessel run out of Toronto speed run any % completion.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

I need people to understand that, as incredibly talented as he is, Mitch Marner is kind of a huge dipshit both on and off the ice

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK
After watching some clip of his dad watching him when Mitch was maybe 12... it seems pretty inevitable.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.

Koopa Kid posted:

I need people to understand that, as incredibly talented as he is, Mitch Marner is kind of a huge dipshit both on and off the ice

kind of?

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
What would be a realistic return for Marner? How do you trade a ~$11mil cap hit? Marner has a NMC and no chance he’d go to a team with that kind of space

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

If the Leafs PR person in the room didn't immediately tackle Marner and demand every reporter hand over their recordings of that comment as soon as it happened what are they even there for

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Send him to Pitt for uh Reilly Smith and Graves. Whatever.

Mr. Fish
Sep 13, 2017

INLAND EMPIRE — This is a team with a lot of past, but little present. And almost no future.

Koopa Kid posted:

He's a hockey player, of course he's a dipshit

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

rex rabidorum vires posted:

It has been foretold.
Marner for Jarry+Graves

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

It has been foretold.
Marner for Jarry+Graves

yeah gently caress it, why not. at least we'd get rid of Graves

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Does Dubas have that level of Jedi training? Did he learn from Jedi Master JR to pull off that kind of mind trick?

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

https://x.com/tavkniesythews/status/1787536896639295556

lmao

Also Keefe took the option to talk to media? Did he not understand what being given the choice meant?

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

Clearly not. And I have 0 trust in Dubas but Brad is a proven dumbass.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
According to someone who listened to 32 Thoughts

https://x.com/logopatt/status/1787496242580455608?s=46&t=R-IIQ8Nj5o0BHYWoMXm9wQ

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

^^^ Elliotte’s been talking out his rear end more and more lately, I’ve stopped putting a lot of stock in his thoughts column

Interestingly the Kessel trade to PIT was all Shanahan, the Leafs hired Lou to be their GM three weeks later and Shanny was de facto running the team. If Marner gets run out of town for peanuts similarly Shanahan will at least have signed off on it if not be the one demanding it.

Jokes aside though I don’t really believe that’ll happen

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Marner has 11 mil and a NMC. Even with cap going up, which teams are actually in on him

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Marner has always dreamed of being a… Buffalo Sabre?

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
man Berube likely coaching the Devils or Leafs, good god

trade everything for Sullivan

e: oh also Casey signed with the Devils. Seems kinda blocked given the game he plays and Dougie/Nemec on the right side, but him actually signing is hopefully an indication that Fitzgerald won't deal him in some panic goalie move

https://twitter.com/lassialanen/status/1630618732983644161

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 20:09 on May 6, 2024

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

https://twitter.com/DarrenDreger/status/1787558114968961032

that's a choice

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Berube coaching the Devils or Leafs would indeed be hilarious. Can't imagine him trying to coach two teams built on speed and skill.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Ginette Reno posted:

Berube coaching the Devils or Leafs would indeed be hilarious. Can't imagine him trying to coach two teams built on speed and skill.

two softest teams in the league, funniest hire given that Torts isn't available and Keenan is in Italy

if they wanted to be cheap why not just chance it on a college or a junior guy, what the gently caress did Travis Green show this year that could possibly make any team want to hire him as a HC

anyway good news for the Devils but this could just mean Berube cometh, save us Shanahan

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Sucks

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Given Fitzgerald's tolerance and embrace for sex pests, maybe we're headed for Q and me renting an RV to go to Newark

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

As a fan of an Atlantic division team, I am excited that it seems neither the Sabres nor Sens front offices have any clue what they're doing

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Is the draft lottery coming up soon

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Tomorrow I think

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

tomorrow

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Are there legs to Berube and the Leafs other than he's available and Biz made a joke on air last night?

Also yeah what has Travis Green ever done

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
https://twitter.com/usahockey/status/1787075048467210578

Larkin backed out with an injury, Nelson, Hayes, Petry, Will Smith, Eyssimont added, looks pretty good for a WC team but losing Larkin is a pretty big blow. Connor not coming in the end sucks too

e: oh Leonard too that's cool. Wonder why Perreault didn't come too? Continuing to be criminally underrated even by USA hockey?

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Surprised Team USA didn't take Drew O'Connor, although that's a pretty stacked roster so I guess that makes sense.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

T-Bone posted:

man Berube likely coaching the Devils or Leafs, good god

trade everything for Sullivan

e: oh also Casey signed with the Devils. Seems kinda blocked given the game he plays and Dougie/Nemec on the right side, but him actually signing is hopefully an indication that Fitzgerald won't deal him in some panic goalie move

https://twitter.com/lassialanen/status/1630618732983644161

A top defender, with mediocre defensive stats. Good thing defenders are only being asked to play offense these days.

I do understand why you want offensive upsides from your defense, but why this is prioritized more and more frequently over being able to do both is beyond my comprehension. Makar is an interesting example of this for me with how he's gone this year. A little more offense, but some defensive regression. Adam Fox, Josh Morrissey, and Quinn Hughes are so much more balanced in this respect on both ends of the ice. They have such upsides in the offensive and defensive zones.

Klingberg and Justin Schultz have taken so much poo poo for being mediocre defenders but at one time good offensively. They take so much poo poo, but then teams go out and are prioritizing exactly that skill set.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Matthews still refuses to answer what he had beyond, when asked if it was a flu-like virus, "something like that". Amazing how hard the league is trying to censor covid out of existence

T-Bone posted:

two softest teams in the league

If you still think the Leafs are soft I can guarantee you they will be loading up on grit this summer and likely again next deadline.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I wouldn't say it's prioritized over the ability to defend, look at Ty Smith, and Brandt Clarke not getting into a single Kings playoff game. Teams are more willing to take a chance, but undersized offensive d-men still have a hell of time cracking a roster unless they're incredible offensively, which Casey has been so far.

Casey was projected as a first rounder and dropped to the Devils in the 2nd, it's not like he was some top 10 pick, that kind of offensive grade is huge value where the Devils got him.

Precambrian Video Games posted:

If you still think the Leafs are soft I can guarantee you they will be loading up on grit this summer and likely again next deadline.

hell yeah brother

quote:

Klingberg and Justin Schultz have taken so much poo poo for being mediocre defenders but at one time good offensively. They take so much poo poo, but then teams go out and are prioritizing exactly that skill set.

if you get a Klingberg or a Justin Schultz in the 2nd you're elated

like oh drat we got a guy who played 20 minutes on a back to back Stanley Cup winner or the guy who put up 40+ points from the backend five straight years drat we really struck out on our 34% chance to make the NHL pick rate

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 20:45 on May 6, 2024

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Then again it also sucks poo poo because this kind of thinking let the Rangers get Perreault at 23, the Flyers get Brink at 34, etc.

Would the Ducks trade Olen Zellweger (#34) for anyone outside of the top 8 in that draft? Even then it would be really close value wise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
Was kinda hopeful for a bit once Melnyk died and Staois got hired, back to your usual misery sens fans