Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
:<
I blame all the early access garbage for me being hesitant to pick up a good game from a good studio but man, my library is filled with early access games that never really got finished.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

HopperUK posted:

If you look in the steam forums you'll find that actually it's extremely woke, and people there are conflicted about whether they should buy it or not

don't look in the steam forums, lmao

There seems to be some meme where every game that is released will have a "is this game woke" thread on the steam forums

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
People farming that jester award.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Hwurmp posted:

Girly Asses

Yuck:(

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Who is telling terrible jokes here in the Steam thread

get thee to a punnery

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Leal posted:

There seems to be some meme where every game that is released will have a "is this game woke" thread on the steam forums

I was very confused when I saw that thread for Chrono Ark, but that explains it, I guess.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i'm very careful with what EA games i get. Hades 2 is a sure bet to finish. my EA game list:

Anamalous - at v0.9, doing a final pass on earlier levels
Beyond Sunset - likely end of year release/early 2025
Dread Delusion - 1.0 next week
Extraneum - end of year 2024
Forgive Me Father 2 - early 2025, first game also went through EA process and finished
I Am Future - new content update on the 20th, still regular updates
Magenta Horizon - 2025
Satisfactory - end of year 2024, they already put out a video about it
Tower Unite - already pretty feature complete but still putting out content updates frequently
Ultrakill - relatively frequent content updates
Vibrant Venture - dev recovered from cancer treatment recently, still putting out updates but progress is slower
Viscerafest - finishing up the final chapter, probably early 2025
Voltage High Society - put out an update recently, possibly eoy 2024

the two that feel less certain to me:

Hyperviolent - Fulqrum has published other EA FPSes like Diluvian Ultra, Wrath: Aeon of Ruin, Dread Templar, Forgive Me Father, etc, so I assume they're on top of this one, but the progress by the developer has been very slow.

Swords n' Magic n' Stuff - Gets frequent updates but seems to have no real roadmap to the finish line, mostly just redesigning existing stuff and kicking the can on new regions.

so mostly what i've bought is gonna get finished. other EA games i bought in the past that finished: My Time at Sandrock, Slime Rancher, Lunacid, Wrath, Dread Templar, HROT

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 20:03 on May 6, 2024

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hades 2 is probably the most fleshed-out Early Access title I've ever played. I put 20 hours into it and still haven't come close to seeing or doing everything. If they never updated it again it would probably still be worth the money.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

The 7th Guest posted:

Dread Delusion - 1.0 next week

Had an eye on this for one for a while, and found out a couple days ago that 1.0 was just around the corner. Yay.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

ImpAtom posted:

Hades 2 is probably the most fleshed-out Early Access title I've ever played. I put 20 hours into it and still haven't come close to seeing or doing everything. If they never updated it again it would probably still be worth the money.

"Will I get more out of this half-finished game than a $18+tax+tip burger lunch at a non-chain restaurant?"

The amount of distraction from the inevitability of death that you can get out of any game at any price point, early access or not, compared to just about anything else you can spend money on for pleasure in this godforsaken first world hell is incredible. Buy the game.

I can't even go fuckin' bowling alone for less than $30 now. Objects in Space was the worst failure of an early access game I really liked, where the devs just...stopped one day, but even that I played long enough to not feel hosed out of 25 clams.

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 20:33 on May 6, 2024

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
I am holding strong in my not purchasing Early Access games, even if I know I'll like them. No Rest for the Wicked needs some time to cook, and I don't want to burn myself out on Hades 2 prior to its complete narrative. Playing Hades 1 to a complete the narrative was enough to pretty much satisfy my needs to play Hades, no super challenging modifier runs were needed thank you.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:

Jossar posted:

I still maintain that for perfect comedic timing, the Hades II Early Access releases sometime this month and sucks up all the oxygen out of the room.

lol, lmao even

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Squiggle posted:

The amount of distraction from the inevitability of death that you can get out of any game at any price point, early access or not, compared to just about anything else you can spend money on for pleasure in this godforsaken first world hell is incredible. Buy the game.

I can't even go fuckin' bowling alone for less than $30 now. Objects in Space was the worst failure of an early access game I really liked, where the devs just...stopped one day, but even that I played long enough to not feel hosed out of 25 clams.

I spent something like $20 on Satisfactory years ago and have put an unacceptable amount of time into it. Finally close to release at this point but I've gotten more value out of it as an Early Access title than any other piece media.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

ImpAtom posted:

Hasn't the game only been out in EA for about two hours? Was there some sort of closed alpha? :raise:

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

The thing to think about thought with early access is a lot of times the mental math isn't as simple as "is it good enough right now at that price point?," but rather sort of a weird and more complex situation of delayed gratification. I know personally I'd much rather have a fully realized game just drop as a 1.0 release instead of intermittent play based on updates. Like I mentioned before, I and a lot of other people tell themselves that lie of "I'll come back to it once in a while" and a lot of times never really do. You can very easily burn yourself out on something incomplete, and then you question what would I have thought of this if it was just done? If I enjoyed an early access game for a solid 30 hours before burning out, could I have maybe gotten double that if I just waited?

It's a personal psychological hurdle to get over but I've found myself unable to not do the what if thing. What if there was a better experience here I spoiled myself on by the drip feed.

Orv
May 4, 2011

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Hasn't the game only been out in EA for about two hours? Was there some sort of closed alpha? :raise:

The last couple weeks yeah.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

hmm well, it seems we will have to come back in 5 more years to get the second data point.

Or see if Gearbox goes with a 6 month Epic exclusivity window for their next release now that they are a Take-Two owned studio.

Speaking of Steam review bombing, Borderlands Three's 6-month delayed Steam release was one of the first instances I heard about iirc.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?
I know this has probably been asked a bunch of times, so I'm sorry, but I just want to be sure...

So Hitman is on sale, and I'm in the mood to play it. What fortuitous timing! Yay! I understand that, unless I'm mistaken, despite the fact that I already own Hitman II, I can't transfer save data, and I can't leverage that ownership into some form of discount. Boo, but I'm ok with that (well, I'm not, but eh).

Anyway, the sale looks like this:

So if I want the game proper, I should get the discounted Hitman World of Assassination for $28, right? And if I want the deluxe content, I shouldn't get the Deluxe Edition because it's not on sale for some reason ($99!), but rather I should get Hitman World of Assassination for $28 and then the Deluxe Pack Bundle for $21?

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

FutureCop posted:

I know this has probably been asked a bunch of times, so I'm sorry, but I just want to be sure...

So Hitman is on sale, and I'm in the mood to play it. What fortuitous timing! Yay! I understand that, unless I'm mistaken, despite the fact that I already own Hitman II, I can't transfer save data, and I can't leverage that ownership into some form of discount. Boo, but I'm ok with that (well, I'm not, but eh).

So if I want the game proper, I should get the discounted Hitman World of Assassination for $28, right? And if I want the deluxe content, I shouldn't get the Deluxe Edition because it's not on sale for some reason ($99!), but rather I should get Hitman World of Assassination for $28 and then the Deluxe Pack Bundle for $21?

You want the $28 discounted thing (it's Hitman 1+2+3). The Deluxe Pack is mainly the "Seven Deadly Sins" add-on which is Hitman 3 DLC, plus the Hitman 2 bonus missions, plus add-on poo poo like artbook, soundtrack, and some special missions. EDIT: If Strix is right and the sale caught up and discounted the $99 bundle down, get that to get "everything playable." I agree with Strix, the bank and resort levels for Hitman 2 are fun as gently caress.

The World of Assassination Deluxe Pack contains everything extra of value for all three games. The Hitman 3 - Deluxe Pack is just art books and poo poo, and is included in the WoA Deluxe Pack.

Here's an image I stole from Reddit and yes this entire setup is psychopathic:

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 21:03 on May 6, 2024

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

FutureCop posted:

Saoshyant posted:

The new reboot has always been confusing what with three releases, ton of DLCs, online requirements, changing publishers, etc, so thanks for clearing out most of the questions I've had about this one.

Is "HITMAN World of Assassination Deluxe Edition" the version you are mentioning as containing pretty much everything? It's 45€, which is similar to the price you mentioned on the previous page, but I'd better ask for confirmation than be sorry.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1659040/HITMAN_World_of_Assassination/

Purchasing the Deluxe Edition gets you Hitman 1-3, the bonus maps (NY Bank, Haven Island, etc) and a shitload of bonus minor content. It is the most cost effective way to purchase the whole trilogy in one fell swoop.

e: NY and Haven are fully fledged maps and worth it imo

StrixNebulosa fucked around with this message at 20:59 on May 6, 2024

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Beyond HITMAN World of Assassination at 60% off, you want this specific DLC: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1829590/HITMAN_3_Access_Pass_HITMAN_2_Expansion/

It features two new, full-fledged maps. None of the other DLC offerings give you that great content. If you played Hitman II you might already known about this one.

e;f,b

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

It's a fantastic game sold in the stupidest way possible

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

it should be illegal to sell video games like this

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

ImpAtom posted:

I have enough faith in the studio that I'm happy to just buy it now and then leave it on the shelf until they are out of EA.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

rip steam

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Look at this loser who hasn't mastered time dilation so they can play more video games in less time.

Yeah, they sent out early access to early access codes for early previews.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?

ShadowMar posted:

it should be illegal to sell video games like this

I agree! I have no idea why the full game and deluxe pack are on sale, yet the deluxe edition and part one slice is full price! You could actually pay more for less: that's absolutely devious. And looking at that reddit image that Squiggle posted made my eyes hurt.

Anyway, from what y'all said, I suppose this is what I should be going for:

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Is this the latest raid attunement guide?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

loving ImpAtom violating the laws of space and time in order to play more video games

Ca n you teach me how to do it

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

FishMcCool posted:

Had an eye on this for one for a while, and found out a couple days ago that 1.0 was just around the corner. Yay.
I'm excited! It looks so great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGhW1PTSEpk

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Phlegmish posted:

That was her? I had no idea. Although to be honest, like 90% of WOTR players I killed Wenduag as soon as possible

I remember her name

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Is the Seven Deadly Sins DLC worth picking up too?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
not really. you can always buy them later if you find yourself really jonesing for some mediocre gimmick missions.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

SirSamVimes posted:

No.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

SirSamVimes posted:

Eeeeenh. If you get a dollar of fun out of the average escalation mission, then maybe while on sale. But I think the game's got enough going on now without them.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

what on earth this looks wild

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

Subjunctive posted:

what on earth this looks wild

It's like...Gothic Morrowind that looks like Nightmare Creatures, buying this immediately

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 21:51 on May 6, 2024

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Gumdrop Larry posted:

The thing to think about thought with early access is a lot of times the mental math isn't as simple as "is it good enough right now at that price point?," but rather sort of a weird and more complex situation of delayed gratification. I know personally I'd much rather have a fully realized game just drop as a 1.0 release instead of intermittent play based on updates. Like I mentioned before, I and a lot of other people tell themselves that lie of "I'll come back to it once in a while" and a lot of times never really do. You can very easily burn yourself out on something incomplete, and then you question what would I have thought of this if it was just done? If I enjoyed an early access game for a solid 30 hours before burning out, could I have maybe gotten double that if I just waited?

It's a personal psychological hurdle to get over but I've found myself unable to not do the what if thing. What if there was a better experience here I spoiled myself on by the drip feed.

Obviously the longer you wait, the more polished the game will be

By this logic, never playing any game is the best strategy, ab uno disce omnes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
There's a slight tiny very little difference between waiting for a game to exit early access (where the devs have explicitly stated there's a bunch of unfinished stuff) and a fully released game that is receiving bug fixes and improvements