Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jetrock
Jul 26, 2005

This is the tower of murder... it's where I hang out!
This week's episode was probably my favorite Disco episode of the whole series, or at least a tie with the Harry Mudd one. In part because it works as a strong, very Trek-ish stand-alone episode, unlike most of the series, but it also linked into the season-long storyline. The point where they revealed the winner of the race got sacrificed to the gods was an "oh poo poo, I wasn't expecting that!" moment like one I haven't seen since SNW "Lift Us Where Suffering Cannot Reach." And, as others on this thread have mentioned, a total lack of Moll & L'ak improved the episode and made it clear just how unnecessary they are to the storyline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

A.o.D. posted:

S2E10 Lower Decks "First First Contact"

Oh that's such a good episode.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

You're lucky I'm so spiritually centered or I'd snap!

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

A.o.D. posted:

S1E1 Lower Decks "Second Contact"

S2E10 Lower Decks "First First Contact"

Really, like half of Lower Decks loosely revolves around this concept.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

With the Federation being so spread out before the Burn there must be dozens of worlds that were on the verge of First Contact and then had that delayed by a century. Maybe a cool thread for them to pickup in the Academy series.

Apollodorus posted:

Don’t do the time crime if you can’t do the time crime time. :colbert:

Remember how many people in the future were immediately pissed at Discovery for having time traveled and it was said they needed to keep that aspect of their history hidden because Time Travel is so super duper illegal across all civilisations as a result of the wars?

The Time Bug was a cool concept, but also in the 32nd century seems like it should be one of the worst possible crimes, getting everyone in the galaxy after the criminals.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Senor Tron posted:

The Time Bug was a cool concept, but also in the 32nd century seems like it should be one of the worst possible crimes, getting everyone in the galaxy after the criminals.

It probably is, but they are already under a death sentence. Having nothing left to lose is one of the problems with death sentences.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

The Last Call posted:

I've always viewed TNG as being a time when the Federation and a lot of people in Star Fleet were kinda up their own rear end. They drank the kool aid hard on how enlightened and advanced they were.

Yeah TNG was all Shakespeare and jazz quartets, art appreciation and poetry readings.

We have "evolved" and all that.

Which was bullshit. They acted like the Federation's advances in technology and philosophy were making them be inherently better. I'm glad the later shows* have gone out of their way to show that's not the case.

* and the movie where Picard shoots a Borg with a hard light tommy gun.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Star Trek should be utopian but also aspirational and optimistic, I've got little time for pure cynicism in my Trek.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Star Trek should be utopian but also aspirational and optimistic, I've got little time for pure cynicism in my Trek.

I can live with it. I can live with it.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Jetrock posted:

This week's episode was probably my favorite Disco episode of the whole series, or at least a tie with the Harry Mudd one. In part because it works as a strong, very Trek-ish stand-alone episode, unlike most of the series, but it also linked into the season-long storyline. The point where they revealed the winner of the race got sacrificed to the gods was an "oh poo poo, I wasn't expecting that!" moment like one I haven't seen since SNW "Lift Us Where Suffering Cannot Reach." And, as others on this thread have mentioned, a total lack of Moll & L'ak improved the episode and made it clear just how unnecessary they are to the storyline.

Suffering is just "The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas" rejigged, easily one of SNWs weakest episodes

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

punishedkissinger posted:

I can live with it. I can live with it.

DS9 did lasting damage to the franchise :colbert:

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I think it's good to interogate what your utopia does under pressure, if you never see how a society copes under strain I don't know how you can call it aspirational?

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

And if I had to do it all over again - I would.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Senor Tron posted:

With the Federation being so spread out before the Burn there must be dozens of worlds that were on the verge of First Contact and then had that delayed by a century. Maybe a cool thread for them to pickup in the Academy series.

Remember how many people in the future were immediately pissed at Discovery for having time traveled and it was said they needed to keep that aspect of their history hidden because Time Travel is so super duper illegal across all civilisations as a result of the wars?

Just introduce the Hounds of Tindalos.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

Taear posted:

Suffering is just "The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas" rejigged, easily one of SNWs weakest episodes

Yeah, and I was really worried The Elysian Kingdom would leave us on a similar nihilistic note, but luckily it pulled up and gave M’Benga and kid a happy ending.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

No Dignity posted:

I think it's good to interogate what your utopia does under pressure, if you never see how a society copes under strain I don't know how you can call it aspirational?

The best Trek is when they have their values challenged, when they are presented with a problem which seems impossible to solve without violating their principles or find they must violate the letter of the law to uphold the spirit and then justify those actions to others.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
It's like how the best Robot stories are about how the Three Laws seem really straightforward and simple....until you actually try to apply them.

TuxedoOrca
Feb 6, 2024

I agree. 100% and unironically.

And I liked DS9.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

TheCenturion posted:

It's like how the best Robot stories are about how the Three Laws seem really straightforward and simple....until you actually try to apply them.

That's what I always like about Asimov's Three Laws stories. Each one was about how a robot seemingly violated the three laws to do something they shouldn't have been able to. Only, when all the facts were in, the robots were always being faithful*.

Which was an indictment on the inadequacy of the three laws themselves. But reading the stories as a child I never realised that part. Turns out, simple blanket statements actually make for a terrible system of governing behaviour.

* given the information they had at the time.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Taear posted:

It's an interesting story nucleus, a while ago I read this version/response to the original Omelas and it was much more effective: https://clarkesworldmagazine.com/kim_02_24/

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Yeah TNG was all Shakespeare and jazz quartets, art appreciation and poetry readings.

We have "evolved" and all that.

Which was bullshit. They acted like the Federation's advances in technology and philosophy were making them be inherently better. I'm glad the later shows* have gone out of their way to show that's not the case.

* and the movie where Picard shoots a Borg with a hard light tommy gun.

Once Gene kicked the bucket the shows were always going to move away from the stiff and wooden nature he wanted for humanity.

The best Star Trek movies are the ones that goes against everything he wanted, their success and approval prove it. He hated them, but Wrath of Khan and Undiscovered Country are peak ST movies for good reasons.

DS9 shined once it broke free of the confines that the series had been pidgeon holed into. It went places, it showed what happens when the Federation got dragged into a dirty fight. You don't win simply by being morally superior. It's why Sisko was the best Captain. He was the most real. He did what he had to do.

Easy to pretend to be a saint in paradise.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Taear posted:

I'm not sure why that matters so much. First, I guarantee there's a bunch of people out there who saw the episode who have never read that story. Second, Balance of Terror is frequently cited as both one of the great TOS episodes and also basically being The Enemy Below In Space.

If the execution is bad, that's a valid complaint, but retelling older stories is entirely valid.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
Oh god drat it

Sony and Apollo in Talks to Acquire Paramount

After letting exclusive talks with the movie studio Skydance lapse, Paramount’s directors met over the weekend and decided to negotiate with all the suitors.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/05/05/business/media/sony-apollo-paramount.html

Paramount has decided to formally open negotiations with a bidding group led by Sony Pictures Entertainment and the private equity giant Apollo, according to three people familiar with the matter. The move comes after a period of exclusive talks with the Hollywood studio Skydance lapsed on Friday night.

A special committee of Paramount’s board of directors met Saturday and signed off on beginning deal talks with Sony and Apollo, which last week submitted a nonbinding letter of interest offering to buy the company for around $26 billion in cash, the people said. The committee also decided to push for further negotiations with Skydance, a studio founded by the technology scion David Ellison.

Paramount, the owner of Nickelodeon, MTV, CBS and Paramount Pictures, has been exploring a deal as it faces industrywide headwinds, including the decline of cable TV and the unprofitability of its streaming business.

Any deal between the Sony group and Paramount faces hurdles. Government regulations restrict foreign ownership of broadcast networks and could prevent Sony’s parent company, based in Japan, from owning CBS outright. The bidding group would probably push for Apollo, which is based in the United States, to hold the rights to the CBS broadcast license, according to two people familiar with their strategy.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
If it ends up with Apollo, that’s basically it for the franchise again. It’ll all be dead within 2-5 years because that’s what private equity groups do best.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Depends on how much control Sony has and also where it ends up inside Sony's internal politics. Parts of Sony would be very interested in perpetuating a franchise like this.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Big Mean Jerk posted:

If it ends up with Apollo, that’s basically it for the franchise again. It’ll all be dead within 2-5 years because that’s what private equity groups do best.

This.

This is the problem.

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022

The Last Call posted:

This.

This is the problem.

....Appeal to Bezos?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Has any big mega merger like this gone down in a good way? Seems unlikely they'd let Trek go fallow after dropping billions on the deal. Hard to imagine any scenario that isn't just a shotgun of Trek useage trying to see what makes money or not. It's all bad admirals in the executive suites. I'll consider us lucky if we even get to continue any current remaining projects.

Rubber Chicken
Mar 13, 2024

Khanstant posted:

Has any big mega merger like this gone down in a good way? Seems unlikely they'd let Trek go fallow after dropping billions on the deal. Hard to imagine any scenario that isn't just a shotgun of Trek useage trying to see what makes money or not. It's all bad admirals in the executive suites. I'll consider us lucky if we even get to continue any current remaining projects.

Disney and Marvel come to mind

If this was a tenth as successful as that has been we should count ourselves extremely lucky

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

MikeJF posted:

Depends on how much control Sony has and also where it ends up inside Sony's internal politics. Parts of Sony would be very interested in perpetuating a franchise like this.
I'm not very knowledgeable about this stuff but I would be inclined to agree with this sentiment because Sony bought Bungie to get help building more Live Service games at a point in time when Live Service games are becoming more and more unpopular. I think they're even still developing NFTs! Sony loves forward thinking on trends that already passed, almost as much as they love setting inappropriately high sales goals. The fact 3 of the recent series are dead/dying is a perfect time for them to come in and plan out more Trek.

Actual Satan
Mar 14, 2017

Keep on partying!

You'll NEVER regret it!

Trust ME!

The best part of the Sony Star Trek movie was when he said "IT'S TREKKIN' TIME" and trekked all over those stars.

Rubber Chicken
Mar 13, 2024
Just minor villain themed movies called Maset, Bok, and Finnegan

No Trek in the title and no Enterprise crew members

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Actual Satan posted:

The best part of the Sony Star Trek movie was when he said "IT'S TREKKIN' TIME" and trekked all over those stars.

That's gonna be the real trip, is seeing all the ways Sony finds to Morbius the poo poo out of Star Trek.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Rubber Chicken posted:

Disney and Marvel come to mind

If this was a tenth as successful as that has been we should count ourselves extremely lucky

No, Disney Marvel is one of the bad outcomes. Those are both franchises I used to really enjoy but now do everything I can to avoid them, and worse, it made them a ton of money so they keep making worse and worse stuff out of the IP. Just going to operate on the assumption that Trek as I know it is having its final seasons and shows now.

Actual Satan
Mar 14, 2017

Keep on partying!

You'll NEVER regret it!

Trust ME!

Rubber Chicken posted:

Just minor villain themed movies called Maset, Bok, and Finnegan

No Trek in the title and no Enterprise crew members

gently caress, I would watch a Finnegan movie

Rubber Chicken
Mar 13, 2024

Khanstant posted:

No, Disney Marvel is one of the bad outcomes. Those are both franchises I used to really enjoy but now do everything I can to avoid them, and worse, it made them a ton of money so they keep making worse and worse stuff out of the IP. Just going to operate on the assumption that Trek as I know it is having its final seasons and shows now.

So you'd rather have nothing at all than a decade of mostly good poo poo followed by mediocrity with moments of brilliance?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I do not agree with your assessment of the output of Disney and absolutely always every time "nothing" would be better than Disney ownership for all properties, especially the ones people working at Disney made. I don't even want that company to exist, still pissed at them for loving up the world with nearly- and perpetual copyright.

Fortunately Disney isn't in the talks, but I have no reason to think one of these other lovely companies will be any different.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

At least it's not WBD

Rubber Chicken
Mar 13, 2024
Any company that makes anything you've heard of, including Paramount, would be Disney if only they could manage it

That's no defense of Disney, but I wasn't doing that before either, just giving an example of a bought IP that had good output

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Taear posted:

I liked it.

And also the reason why SNW is so good, and maybe my second favorite Star Trek after DS9 is it does this:

Apollodorus posted:

Yeah, and I was really worried The Elysian Kingdom would leave us on a similar nihilistic note, but luckily it pulled up and gave M’Benga and kid a happy ending.

And varies its tone and genre a ton. Like yeah the Gorn babies are a little dumb, but that episode was cool. It was good space horror. Lower Decks could also change up tone but it and the other good show, Prodigy, are dead I guess.