Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
Might go full psycho and spend $100+ on Dune Pt.1 & 2 steelbooks idk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

My Killer Klowns steel arrived today. Yeeee

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
I bought this on Blu-ray a few weeks ago and haven't watched it yet, so you're welcome.

quote:

StudioCanal will celebrate the 50th anniversary of Francis Ford Coppola'sThe Conversation (1974) with a brand new Limited Edition 4K Blu-ray, which is scheduled to arrive on the market on July 15th.

https://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=34450

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
The Conversation is so good

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Never seen The Conversation, but I'm glad its getting a UHD release. I will gladly buy it off positive word of mouth alone once it gets a standard release.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

On one hand, Techinscope was intended to be printed dye-transfer, which softened the grain to a pleasing level. I've actually seen The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly in 35mm and was surprised how nice it looked - not overly grainy and actually a bit sharper than your average Super-35 production. Though, that's more likely because more care was put into the new prints versus a brand new film having to have thousands of prints cranked out in a short time.

On the other... using a BD-66 for a 165 minute film is a pathetic attempt at cost-cutting. Come on, for almost $40, Paramount can afford a BD-100. Kino Lorber routinely uses BD-100s for films that actually could fit perfectly on a BD-66, so there's no excuse from a major studio.

edit: Film restorer Robert Harris gave the disc a 10/10 on Home Theater Forum: https://www.hometheaterforum.com/community/threads/a-few-words-about-tm-once-upon-a-time-in-the-west-in-4k-uhd.382616/

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 23:07 on May 2, 2024

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I really think people get overly annoyed at DNR and all that. I really enjoy Film grain too, and sometimes certain restorations truly do take it too far, but so many people act as if any DNR is an affront to a movie no matter what and it all comes off as slightly performative to me.

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

Carpet posted:

I bought this on Blu-ray a few weeks ago and haven't watched it yet, so you're welcome.

https://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=34450

:hai:

Super excited for this one, love this film!

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

The_Rob posted:

I really think people get overly annoyed at DNR and all that. I really enjoy Film grain too, and sometimes certain restorations truly do take it too far, but so many people act as if any DNR is an affront to a movie no matter what and it all comes off as slightly performative to me.

It's also rare that filtering and noise reduction aren't used in any capacity. There's also the fact that nobody ever intended these films to look like a straight projection of the camera negative. Warner Bros. is pretty open about the fact that they have to do some digital "massaging" to 3-strip Technicolor films to replicate what original prints approximately looked like because otherwise you're seeing all sorts of poo poo that they anticipated would be invisible on the final prints.

This is actually why Christopher Nolan has interpositives (high quality, fine-grained positives made from camera negatives) used for 4K DCP and masters for his films because the extra generation matches what a mint print off the negative would look like.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The really egregious examples of DNR make me hate it. Looking at you American Graffiti.

CaptainN
Jul 28, 2004

Egbert Souse posted:

On one hand, Techinscope was intended to be printed dye-transfer, which softened the grain to a pleasing level. I've actually seen The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly in 35mm and was surprised how nice it looked - not overly grainy and actually a bit sharper than your average Super-35 production. Though, that's more likely because more care was put into the new prints versus a brand new film having to have thousands of prints cranked out in a short time.

On the other... using a BD-66 for a 165 minute film is a pathetic attempt at cost-cutting. Come on, for almost $40, Paramount can afford a BD-100. Kino Lorber routinely uses BD-100s for films that actually could fit perfectly on a BD-66, so there's no excuse from a major studio.

edit: Film restorer Robert Harris gave the disc a 10/10 on Home Theater Forum: https://www.hometheaterforum.com/community/threads/a-few-words-about-tm-once-upon-a-time-in-the-west-in-4k-uhd.382616/

I think Harris might be unwell, when you take his view on Aliens into account.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

anyone able to share their opinion on the new Lily Chou Chou release?

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

The Saucer Hovers posted:

anyone able to share their opinion on the new Lily Chou Chou release?

It's the exact same as the previous Film Movement release. Still a great transfer for the film.

Anyway, to talk about film transfers for a minute, yes, DNR is used on films regardless. Typically, DNR is used to remove the film grain to get a clean image then a layer of scanned film grain is overlaid and blended on top of it. This gives the colorist control over the amount of grain in the transfer. Sucks to say, no one's really seeing the true film grain from an OCN or other film element used to create transfers.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

edogawa rando posted:

Since there's only two and a half weeks of the year left, quick question: what's on your blu-ray wishlist for 2024?

A Godzilla Minus One release that does the film adequate justice

This is from my 2024 wishlist. I'd say this was more than adequately fulfilled. The Japanese deluxe edition release arrived this afternoon. It's bloody gorgeous is what it is. It doesn't have English subs, so I hope the North American, UK and Aussie equivalents are just as good, or close enough.

ultraviolence123 posted:

This might be just my opinion but I have a bunch of Umbrella titles and their slipcovers feel extremely cheap and not worth whatever premium I've paid for them. The most recent example of this is Tank Girl, which feels as cheap as whatever Shout Factory uses.

On the other hand, their deluxe editions when they go all out are quite generous and definitely feel like money well-spent. Their Dead End Drive-In set was pretty great with all the extra doohickeys and doodads. Like, how often do you get a t-shirt as part of the set?

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 06:20 on May 3, 2024

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
My big Japanese Minus One 4K release arrived today and it’s so loving cool. It has a whole little replica in-universe booklet of the Doc’s anti-Godzilla plan with diagrams and ship schematics.

There’s no English subs but I don’t even care because it looks so cool. Looking forward to just adding the disc from the inevitably barebones US release to this set.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

My big Japanese Minus One 4K release arrived today and it’s so loving cool. It has a whole little replica in-universe booklet of the Doc’s anti-Godzilla plan with diagrams and ship schematics.

There’s no English subs but I don’t even care because it looks so cool. Looking forward to just adding the disc from the inevitably barebones US release to this set.

Hell yeah. My version also came with a small film frame (which I didn't even realise was going to be in the set) and an art print that I'm going to have to get framed.

I just got back from school camp an hour ago, so it was nice to have it waiting for me.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Does Japan do retailer-exclusive versions of releases? Mine didn’t have a cel or print but it did have a sheet of movie quote stickers that was packed outside the sealed box set.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Yeah, having a quick squiz, HMV in Japan, as an exclusive, included a disappointingly ugly A3 poster, while Rakuten included a little acrylic figure and stand, as well as an in-ear headphone case.

The disc and the majority of extra baubles themselves are uniform, but different outlets have their own exclusive little extra thingies. I got mine from Japanese Amazon (because they, at least, ship to Japan), and that came with the sticker set too.

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

CaptainN posted:

I think Harris might be unwell, when you take his view on Aliens into account.

Yep, his endorsement means nothing to me anymore.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

https://x.com/klstudioclassic/status/1786414595290120443?s=46
Probably wont need to own it on video since it's not an infinitely rewatchable movie, but its nice its getting this upgrade.

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe
About time. The BD is atrocious.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Diabolik has a flash sale on Indicator US:
https://diabolikdvd.com/product-category/browse-by-label/indicator/page/1/?product-category=indicator-flash-sale

HIGHLY RECOMMEND the Pemini set, as well as Hoffman and La Llorona.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Criterion has the US rights. I'd put money on them scheduling it along with the 1954 original this October for the 70th anniversary.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Oh gently caress yes. Criterion having a set with both Minus One and Minus Color sounds awesome. The wait is a bit of a shame but at least we know it'll look great. Easy buy.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Egbert Souse posted:

Diabolik has a flash sale on Indicator US:
https://diabolikdvd.com/product-category/browse-by-label/indicator/page/1/?product-category=indicator-flash-sale

HIGHLY RECOMMEND the Pemini set, as well as Hoffman and La Llorona.

Criterion has the US rights. I'd put money on them scheduling it along with the 1954 original this October for the 70th anniversary.

drat any of the Rollin I'd want in 4K is already out of stock.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

dorium posted:

drat any of the Rollin I'd want in 4K is already out of stock.

Diabolik orders after the sale, so they're going to say out of stock either way. They do this for a lot of the labels based out of the US.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Egbert Souse posted:

Diabolik orders after the sale, so they're going to say out of stock either way. They do this for a lot of the labels based out of the US.

oh that's good to know.

the don't mind if I do

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I really wanna get that Ormond Family boxset at some point. The Pemini one too obv. Stupid final student loan payment ever just went through though so I can't right now :negative:

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

Egbert Souse posted:

Well FINE I GUESS can buy a third Criterion release of the original.

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

Chris James 2 posted:

I really wanna get that Ormond Family boxset at some point. The Pemini one too obv. Stupid final student loan payment ever just went through though so I can't right now :negative:

I have it and can ensure everyone that it's worth buying.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Grabbed a couple of Indicator Noir sets from that Diabolik sale. I just made an Indicator purchase during the sale but cheaper shipping is nice so whatever.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
https://twitter.com/dawnofthediscs/status/1787393132788638181

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

https://twitter.com/beaversfilm/status/1787202572131901726?s=46&t=t8CFjI5-v0IxaoLh38KSzw

quote:

"Press Release" from the producers:
First off, raccoon hats off to "Manor Lords"(@LordsManor). We're inspired by their very transparent, include-the-customer, open and honest marketing strategy. We're doing our best take on that as well:

So what's next for HUNDREDS OF BEAVERS?
Our friends at @RavenBanner, who hold our international rights, are going to try to drum up interest at @Festival _Cannes for more international territories.

We'll know by the end of May how that goes.
For any territories that don't sell to a distributor, we will try our hand at self-releasing, just like we're doing in the USA.

We're currently talking to a few different producers who understand the world of Blu-Rays and physical media rights to help us create THE GREATEST BLU-RAY OF 2024, MAYBE EVER. We need more resources to pay for special feature production, authoring, printing, etc. We want to sell tens of thousands of copies because we believe physical media is critically important to society.

In fact, hoping to "get physical" in general this summer: we're exploring vinyl soundtrack release, CD's, and VHS tapes. We actually think the movie will look wonderful on soft, fuzzy VHS vibes.

We will continue to take theatrical bookings forever, preferably in Historic Cinemas that need to reconnect with a new generation of audiences.

We are also considering a very small book / pamphlet for independent filmmakers to help them understand the wild west of distribution post-COVID, perhaps in collaboration with our friends at @filmhubhq, if there is any interest in that.

Merch... lots of collaborations with fans in the works.

Video game... yes. Some day, probably next year. It's a lot of work and investment and we don't want to put out something lovely just to make a quick buck.

Thank you all for your continued feedback. We pay close attention to the online community forming around our little movie. We will continue to do our part to try to keep you as informed as possible.
💯🦫🫡

https://twitter.com/beaversfilm/status/1787293377618178076?s=46&t=t8CFjI5-v0IxaoLh38KSzw

quote:

Awesome. Yeah we're thinking a sort of "know your digital rights" thing that's 50 or so pages explaining clearly how distribution works post-covid, understanding that it likely changes in 2 years. Cheap too, like $10. Haven't really fully thought it out yet. Just had SO many struggles trying to make sense of it all and want to help other filmmakers be empowered to make informed decisions.

Fuckin love these guys :love:

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Maybe they'll finally fix the audio, but I won't bet on it

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I realized my Walter Hill knowledge isn’t very deep so I got drunk last night and ordered the Southern Comfort 4k from vinegar syndrome.

Sir Mat of Dickie
Jul 19, 2012

"There is no solitude greater than that of the samurai unless it be that of a tiger in the jungle... perhaps..."
It reminded me a lot of Straw Dogs (not surprising, I think Hill has stated his appreciation for Peckinpah and was in frequent correspondence with him).

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

The_Rob posted:

I realized my Walter Hill knowledge isn’t very deep so I got drunk last night and ordered the Southern Comfort 4k from vinegar syndrome.

His early works are really loving good.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Started adding 4k’s to my Amazon cart and somehow I’m at $300 in no time at all. I don’t know how I don’t already own mask of Zorro and independent day and titanic, but I feel like I kind of have to have them.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

After some hesitation, I ended up ordering a pack of the Tarifold Blu-ray sleeves. I've noticed a lot of people started using their CD sleeves, so I was curious about how they'd look for Blu-rays.

The way these work, you basically take the paper slip and your disc(s) and drop them into a polypropelyne sleeve that folds at the top. It's nice plastic that doesn't feel flimsy. I went a step further and bought a pack of 100 double-sided non-woven lined CD sleeves to add a bit of extra protection for discs, as well as make it more practical for a few titles that had more than one disc. One highlight was being able to have the Blus Gremlins and Gremlins 2 share a sleeve with the first film's 4K.

Now, before you ask, I'm not touching stuff like Criterion, Arrow and Indicator limited editions, anything in nicer packaging, etc. My first course of action was to eliminate as many of those godawful eco cases from my collection as possible. All my non-Warner Archive Warner releases, a bunch of Fox, and some Lionsgate. Much to my surprise, most of my Paramount, Disney, and Universal discs seem to use proper cases. It's astounding how much room is saved.

I think my overall plan is to convert at least anything in a plain blue case (eco or not) and if I somehow have an abundance of cash and shelf space in the future, I can just buy some bulk clear Elite cases to replace the recycled blue ones. It felt so good to dump about 50 of the eco cases into the recycling bin, all while freeing up a surprising amount of room on my shelf.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
God drat, streets of fire is a very solid 4k choice. Watched it for the first time in a few years and it just really boosts the movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Egbert Souse posted:

After some hesitation, I ended up ordering a pack of the Tarifold Blu-ray sleeves. I've noticed a lot of people started using their CD sleeves, so I was curious about how they'd look for Blu-rays.

The way these work, you basically take the paper slip and your disc(s) and drop them into a polypropelyne sleeve that folds at the top. It's nice plastic that doesn't feel flimsy. I went a step further and bought a pack of 100 double-sided non-woven lined CD sleeves to add a bit of extra protection for discs, as well as make it more practical for a few titles that had more than one disc. One highlight was being able to have the Blus Gremlins and Gremlins 2 share a sleeve with the first film's 4K.

Now, before you ask, I'm not touching stuff like Criterion, Arrow and Indicator limited editions, anything in nicer packaging, etc. My first course of action was to eliminate as many of those godawful eco cases from my collection as possible. All my non-Warner Archive Warner releases, a bunch of Fox, and some Lionsgate. Much to my surprise, most of my Paramount, Disney, and Universal discs seem to use proper cases. It's astounding how much room is saved.

I think my overall plan is to convert at least anything in a plain blue case (eco or not) and if I somehow have an abundance of cash and shelf space in the future, I can just buy some bulk clear Elite cases to replace the recycled blue ones. It felt so good to dump about 50 of the eco cases into the recycling bin, all while freeing up a surprising amount of room on my shelf.

Assuming you don't stop at Eco cases, if you end up replacing regular Elite/Vortex cases please consider sending them my way rather than the landfill. I'm tired of dealing with pirates on eBay for replacement cases.

Personally I do not understand why people wanna use those sleeves, pretty sure they will live to regret it (how many people who did similar things with their CD collections 20 years ago still have everything intact vs. people who just kept things in their cases?) But then I can see the advantages... (nervously glances around at growing stacks of media)

pwn fucked around with this message at 23:11 on May 6, 2024