Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

The store page says it has more environments etc in this current build than the entirety of Hades 1 which...Well I dunno if I believe that but it's pretty insane if true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I completely burned myself out on one good Early Access game before it actually came out, and I'm never making that mistake again.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

SettingSun posted:

I have extremely mixed feelings about a game as a big as Hades 2 being an EA game.

It is still small in comparison with BG3 and that was in EA too ...

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Ibram Gaunt posted:

The store page says it has more environments etc in this current build than the entirety of Hades 1 which...Well I dunno if I believe that but it's pretty insane if true.

Not very insane, give the limited number of environment of Hades 1... but good they are fixing on what Hades 1 lacked.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ibram Gaunt posted:

That is 100% accurate.

In addition to the full three underground areas the first two areas of the Mount Olympus section are also included.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
drat, Animal Well is out in 2 days, that one snuck up on me. Really curious to see what reviews are like.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I'll get Hades 2 next week~ The other thing is with early access and Hades is they actually do have special dialogues and events specifically for EA which is always fun. I am not really worried about burning myself out on it before 1.0, I got other games I can hop back to between runs.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
OK, I think I'm finally burned out on Shattered Pixel Dungeon. What should I try next?

(On Amdroid)

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

Got Hades the second it dropped, and I am now going to luxuriate in it for the the next 3 years. One or two runs a day, taking my time with world and VO, this is one of the ones where it's worth slowing down.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

After playing Ravenswatch coop for awhile I can confirm my initial suspicion that this game is just better in coop than sp

I also still don't like it as much as Curse, but it is more fun with friends

I've also decided I don't like excessive cooldown reduction in a cooldown based action roguelite, it turns it into mindless mashing. Astral Ascent has this problem at a foundational level, but it shows up in nearly any action game with the same mechanic, BlazBlue and Oblivion Override have it, hell Diablo has it, but it's a feature there.

If there's some nod towards the concept of challenge and thoughtful combat, removing any restriction on repeatedly pushing the "do big damage" and "be invincible" buttons tends to delete that entire concept from the actual gameplay.

In Diablo or Risk of Rain 2, it's like the whole point, but they're angling for the overpowered fantasy.

Come to think of it, that might be why I'm slightly cool on Hades (dodge spam)

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

I love dodge spam. But apparently the Hades 2 main character can't do it like her brother could.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

HopperUK posted:

I love dodge spam. But apparently the Hades 2 main character can't do it like her brother could.

now I'm interested :v:

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

Hades hurts the poo poo out my hands worse than any other game I've played because of the constant attack and dash spam.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.
I picked up the dungeon crawler bundle and two of the codes are duplicates for me, so that means free codes for the thread. I've got Siralim Ultimate and Going Under, first person to ask for each will get the code PM'd.

Saucer Crab
Apr 3, 2009

Mithross posted:

I picked up the dungeon crawler bundle and two of the codes are duplicates for me, so that means free codes for the thread. I've got Siralim Ultimate and Going Under, first person to ask for each will get the code PM'd.

I'd take Siralim if you don't mind!

King of the Cosmos
Jun 6, 2004

Maybe We'll invent a Cosmic Esperanto.

Mithross posted:

If you still have it I would love that copy of Going Under!

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

has anyone got any thoughts on Quasimorph? Enough here at the moment to buy?

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.
Codes are sent, enjoy!

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Hades is one of the very few EA games I got in on very early and not only felt the original EA version felt much bigger than most others, but also stayed fun as it evolved into the final product. So if you're on the fence I'd say go for it, Supergiant know what they're doing. I guess the only concern would be "burning out", but looking at footage it doesn't look that different from Hades 1 at it's core, so I feel like if you were gonna burn out on it, you might already have done so

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Man I was never nuts about Hades but I played Hades 2 until my controller battery died today and had a great time. I really respect that they were willing to switch up some of the combat/movement fundamentals for the sequel -- dash being more limited & less spammy makes combat feel a lot more thoughtful. Really like that your default unlimited spell is a utility AOE snare effect, it really drives home how you're meant to care about positioning & throwing magic circles on the ground feels appropriate witchy.

I did always struggle with visual clarity in the first game though and that's still an issue here. The environments are gorgeous but once you get past the first biome and the stages start getting more traps and hazards I find it tricky to tell what's what. Sometimes I don't even notice when my character is taking damage, and maybe I'm to blame there for not paying attention, but that can be a frustrating oversight in a game built around a limited health pool retained between stages.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

New Achra patch just dropped, with what appears to be the final culture, class, and religion

e: Now that the patch notes are up, turns out it was the 1.0 release. Also added more cycles and some other stuff

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 12:21 on May 7, 2024

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Rasta, Rasta, and Rasta

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Upsidads posted:

Rasta, Rasta, and Rasta

Path of Ganja?

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

The Achra dev strikes me as the type to think of a new culture/class/god concept while on the can then implement it within a day

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

SettingSun posted:

The Achra dev strikes me as the type to think of a new culture/class/god concept while on the can then implement it within a day

He’s said that he’s built the system to have very fast turnaround time. Excited to check out 1.0 tonight!

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Path of Archa ftw

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
I've been playing some more of The Last Spell with the new expansion and continue to be impressed. I feel like I've only scratched the surface of all the potential new builds and synergies. Dwarves have certainly carved out a very unique niche and have some very interesting possibilities like party buffers. I also like that Humans become retroactively redefined as sort of generalists with the introduction of dwarves since they have access to three miscellaneous perk trees as opposed to having one of them being a racial tree. There's still some very good perks in those trees and gives them better odds at becoming blood mages or momentum heroes which are very strong. I don't think they'll be left in the dust if the devs continue to add more races to the game.

The only bad thing I'll say about the expansion is the new gauntlet weapon feels very lackluster at the moment. The devs have acknowledge this though and are working on a rebalance for it.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

moot the hopple posted:

The only bad thing I'll say about the expansion is the new gauntlet weapon feels very lackluster at the moment. The devs have acknowledge this though and are working on a rebalance for it.

gauntlets are trash but cannons and warshields are both super strong. all of my post-update runs have centred around getting a couple of guys with the passive poison tree and giving them warshields because they can hold a horde off pretty much by themselves, and then the backline is just dudes with cannons and 500 hp spamming mortar shots. The biggest issue I have is clearing enough space for the cannon guys because they keep accidentally knocking over buildings with the backblast or killing each other. The only pre-update weapon I even bother taking anymore are rifles because even the worst dud recruit can do alright if you give them a gun and stick them in a watch tower.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
Yeah the other two new weapons more than make up for the gauntlet. All the new stuff integrating and enabling some new or previously weaker playstyles and strategies is my favorite part of the DLC. I really love how spikey counter is a lot more viable with the introduction of the warshield and dwarves, for instance. So far I've tried a warshield and cannon build that rocket jumps into a crowd of enemies, intentionally overheats to explode everything around him, and then heals up from vampiric counterattacks. Another fun build I tried was a pure stunner using the sledgehammer and the cannon's mortar attack and being able to literally stun up to 45 enemies a turn. I feel like there's a lot of fun build possibilities to explore with this new content.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?
Just got my first victory in Oblivion Override! Yay! But I was kinda curious: what's up with the boss doors? Do you just choose whichever boss you feel like fighting (or perhaps the easiest for you to handle), or is there some sort of impetus to go for certain ones for story progression or bigger rewards? I guess sometimes there is a sidequest associated to a certain boss, like getting a golden tooth from that big mouth one, but that's all I could gleam.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

FutureCop posted:

Just got my first victory in Oblivion Override! Yay! But I was kinda curious: what's up with the boss doors? Do you just choose whichever boss you feel like fighting (or perhaps the easiest for you to handle), or is there some sort of impetus to go for certain ones for story progression or bigger rewards? I guess sometimes there is a sidequest associated to a certain boss, like getting a golden tooth from that big mouth one, but that's all I could gleam.

Some of the bosses unlock a weapon for beating them a number of times and a few have a sidequest associated with them, yeah (most lead to character unlocks). Also the non-default doors are harder fights; at higher Alert levels you just get a random boss door and you can't choose anymore.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Not being able to pick your bosses anymore is a smart way to take off the training wheels and scale up the meta-difficulty, I really like that.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Yeah Oblivion Override has some pretty cool ideas when it comes to difficulty scaling, I enjoy it way more than I thought I would.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
I bring Contemporary Cursed(?) Tidings.

The Return Of A Legendary Contemporary Dev!

Who apparently just faded off into a blasted Discord by and large this entire time?!

With a great sounding, extremely delicious escalation project on the relative cusp of a massive, loaded update until the very end gets...Contemporary:

https://ferretdev.itch.io/interdict Interdict

quote:

Introduction
Interdict: The Post-Empyrean Age is a classic-style dungeon crawler similar to Wizardry I-V, Might and Magic I & II, and the Etrian Odyssey series. You will create a party of characters and guide them through dangerous labyrinths filled with enemies to battle in turn-based combat, treasures to find, and mysteries to uncover.

However, Interdict also incorporates significant roguelike elements: most of the game's content is procedurally generated each time you play, the resources available to your party are scarce, and looming over your quest is the threat of "permawipe". Individual characters who die may be revived, but if your party is wiped out, your game is over and you must restart from the beginning, with nothing carrying over from previous attempt.

Description
In Interdict, you play as a group of six prisoners who have been awakened from their forced slumber to find their memories gone and the world shattered.

Starting with only improvised equipment, and barely any memory of what skills they may have once possessed, your party must escape their prison, discover what happened to the world, and whether or not it may yet be restored.

Battles with foes will be frequent and dangerous, but you will confront them with characters of your own design: there are no classes to hold you back. Any character may use any item or learn any skill, they need only train to meet the requirements, and their training is entirely up to you.

Your party's outfitting is also under your control. You can upgrade or craft more of any equipment you find, but the resources needed to do so are finite and few. Will you prioritize weapons, armor, or magical relics? Will you focus on making powerful equipment for one or two to utilize, or spread your resources evenly to make plenty of basic gear for everyone?

These decisions, and more, are entirely yours to make. Your party's success or failure lies in your hands.

Features
The current version allows the first dungeon, the prison Lethe, to be fully explored, providing roughly 3 to 6 hours of gameplay.
Even in this early version, over 100 skills and 130 items are waiting to be found.
More than 460 possible enemies can be generated, giving each game a unique bestiary to test your party against.
A 39 page PDF manual is included for old times' sake.

AI Generated Content Notice
Interdict uses sprites and textures created using Stable Diffusion 1.5 and other models based on it. Interdict also uses music generated with Soundraw. Further details are available in the credits which are accessible from the title screen.

A real rollercoaster of discovery, can't even think of a contemporary equivalent with such an end result of Hmm, well, huh. Maybe Grog for the "Wait, What? factor for the return* of Biskup after his grand, needless plummet.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
I have no idea what anything you said means

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

A Wizardry-like interests me but I'm a bit turned off by the use of AI generated assets, including the music. I'll watch its development.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

ExiledTinkerer posted:

Who apparently just faded off into a blasted Discord by and large this entire time?!

With a great sounding, extremely delicious escalation project on the relative cusp of a massive, loaded update until the very end gets...Contemporary:

A real rollercoaster of discovery, can't even think of a contemporary equivalent with such an end result of Hmm, well, huh. Maybe Grog for the "Wait, What? factor for the return* of Biskup after his grand, needless plummet.

You're the AI that's making assets for this game, aren't you?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Woo! I almost never get wins in these games. This was a lot of fun. Lightning everywhere.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

ExiledTinkerer posted:

Hey I'm going to nuke you for being an AI if you don't say something that makes a bit more sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

yeah thats a AI project alright