Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gerblederp
Dec 4, 2009

All I know is the team used to be able to hit before they hired Don Mattingley and I’m not going to look up any stats to back that up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
26 years ago today was the greatest game ever pitched....the 20 strikeout game. May 6, 1998 at Wrigley Field. I'll die on that hill. Come at me, bro. :smug:

https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CHN/CHN199805060.shtml

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

couldn't even get a no hitter how good could it be

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

IcePhoenix posted:

couldn't even get a no hitter how good could it be

Hey when slap-hitter Ricky Gutierrez wants a hit he can get a hit.

And of course Craig Biggio got HBP so it wouldn't have been a perfecto even if not for the hit anyway.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
lol I didn't remember that Wood balked in that game.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
It's the kind of pitching performance that really has it all

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

bawfuls posted:

that was me, cause that’s what the Dodgers do and it mostly works

Worked great for 'em last October

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

26 years ago today was the greatest game ever pitched....the 20 strikeout game. May 6, 1998 at Wrigley Field. I'll die on that hill. Come at me, bro. :smug:

https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CHN/CHN199805060.shtml

It's still the number one game score for a 9-inning game of all time. Better than any no-hitter or perfect game ever pitched.

I remember coming home from school and watching the end of it.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Trucker Hat posted:

It's so awful.

I get that pitching is super thin right now but I would have preferred to see a bullpen loss instead of Manoah getting creamed mid-game yesterday.

Every time Vladdy calls for a challenge I get so mad.

Vogelbach looks so lost every time they trot him out. What a weird addition to our roster. Would having Votto instead be that much of a downgrade?

I don't know enough about anything to put blame on analytics, Atkins or Schneider but man alive something needs to change before any of this gets better.

The pitching is mostly fine, there's just no room for error.

But also, there's proof in all this that trading dudes who mash dingers for controllable relievers is fuckin dumb as hell cause they all inevitably explode ala Swanson.

Vogelbach sucks and guaranteeing him money was stupid, but I don't think Votto is even playing baseball yet.

Atkins sucks because he is not someone shooting for the stars, his entire plan is to build a high floor that maybe gets lucky if everything breaks right and its cynical and boring and oh shockingly doesn't work cause its hard to maintain that floor when you refuse to take chances.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Who knows in the playoffs. They are honestly sort of dumb. Tho fun and full of drama and “good” tv

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

:same:

I was only a teenager but I still remember watching him throw those Bugs Bunny 93MPH slurves and thinking "this guy's elbow is going to explode into 50 fragments one day soon".

I also remember everyone raving about Mark Prior's picture-perfect delivery and speculating on how he'd dominate for 20 years and never get hurt. Important lesson for every young baseball fan to learn: pitching is voodoo, and the pitching gods are trickster gods.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

:same:

I was jumping around my living room and going nuts.

Watching the full game broadcast now, Steve Stone's sweater is AMAZING

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Eric the Mauve posted:

Worked great for 'em last October
an excellent example of the Dodgers failing to actually implement the Always Have More Pitching plan

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
why aren't the tigers just 'los tigres' idgi

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/michaelschwab13/status/1786860801577353364

Lance McCullers still somehow behind a guy who had literal TJ a year ago.

lol if you think Lance is ever going to pitch again

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Bregor posted:

Watching the full game broadcast now, Steve Stone's sweater is AMAZING

lmao Joe Mantegna singing the stretch is awful but also perfect

Exodor
Oct 1, 2004

Shinjobi posted:

texas rangers winning some fun games

I did not find those games fun.

Still a 3-3 week and taking one of three against last years Champs is OK, I guess. Could have been two of three if our closer hadn't poo poo the bed (or the offense could score more than two runs).

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Intruder posted:

lol if you think Lance is ever going to pitch again

The specific mechanical cues he uses almost directly assure his elbow will never not explode.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 19:34 on May 6, 2024

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Eric the Mauve posted:

I also remember everyone raving about Mark Prior's picture-perfect delivery and speculating on how he'd dominate for 20 years and never get hurt. Important lesson for every young baseball fan to learn: pitching is voodoo, and the pitching gods are trickster gods.

Yeah just because you have perfect pitching mechanics does not make you any less injury-prone than any other major league pitcher :smith:

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Inspector_666 posted:

The specific mechanical cues he uses almost directly assure his elbow will never not explode.

He has more rings than he has 150 IP seasons, good work if you can get it

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Mr. Met says "don't email my wife"
https://x.com/mrsmet/status/1787541719963013423

ok back to some really fun times on campus

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Yeah just because you have perfect pitching mechanics does not make you any less injury-prone than any other major league pitcher :smith:

I like that Prior is a pitching coach and I always love seeing him when I'm popping into a Dodgers broadcast on MLB dot TV :unsmith:

Intruder posted:

He has more rings than he has 150 IP seasons, good work if you can get it

wut

e: oh I thought he was still talking about Kerry, nvm

Bregor fucked around with this message at 19:56 on May 6, 2024

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Sydin posted:

It's the kind of pitching performance that really has it all

does it have a bird getting drilled by a pitch? I think not

Bregor posted:

wut

e: oh I thought he was still talking about Kerry, nvm

Why would anyone talk about Kerry, the guy who choked game 7 away

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Bregor posted:

I like that Prior is a pitching coach and I always love seeing him when I'm popping into a Dodgers broadcast on MLB dot TV :unsmith:
As best I can tell, Mark Prior is as good at coaching pitching as he was at doing it himself.

Seems like MANY times I’ve seen him make a mound visit to a struggling pitcher who then immediately gets the K or ground ball he’s looking for.

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

LIke Mike Maddux. My running joke with my father was that any time Maddux went out to the mound, he was telling the pitcher which family member he would never see again if he didn't get the out.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

bawfuls posted:

As best I can tell, Mark Prior is as good at coaching pitching as he was at doing it himself.

Seems like MANY times I’ve seen him make a mound visit to a struggling pitcher who then immediately gets the K or ground ball he’s looking for.

"Get this out or I'll leave you out here like I'm Dusty Baker"

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

No Safe Word posted:

Hey when slap-hitter Ricky Gutierrez wants a hit he can get a hit.

And of course Craig Biggio got HBP so it wouldn't have been a perfecto even if not for the hit anyway.

Look, when Biggio wants a HBP, he gets a HBP.

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?
https://twitter.com/Jared_Tims/status/1787139483139551516

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

One hundred years of darkness have begun

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I remember Orel Hershiser seeming like a really good pitching coach, for a guy who hated being a pitching coach.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

'Get used to it, kid.'

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The Mets of Los Angeles

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

euphronius posted:

The Mets of Los Angeles

At least the Angels won a World Series this century

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Eric the Mauve posted:

I remember Orel Hershiser seeming like a really good pitching coach, for a guy who hated being a pitching coach.
He’s great at breaking it down on the broadcast so that’s not too surprising

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

I'm no linguist but doesn't Hershiser basically mean. "Mr. poo poo" in German?

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

mdemone posted:

One hundred years of darkness have begun

Are you posting from like 2010?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It means “deer-maker “ or “deer-doer” or “deerer”

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Deer.....deerfucker!

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It does sound like Herr Scheißer somewhat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
very excited to watch the A's squre off with the Texas Rangers this series. were I a fan of the A's I'd have a lot to be excited about with how this club is playing and before we they trade Mason Miller, Esteury Ruiz, Brent Rooker, Paul Blackburn and Kyle Muller at the break