Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: muscles like this!)

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Ha maybe that's where I got it from and forgot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Shageletic posted:

Ha maybe that's where I got it from and forgot

Yeah, that's what I was thinking, "Lol, that's too on point, they must have seen that post, too."

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Oasx posted:

Andor was made under Disney, is there any reason to think that they should have a desire to mess with it suddenly?

Besides the aforementioned issue of the first season being a bit overlooked in production which is no longer the case, there's also the fact that after S1 came out, Dave Filoni got promoted to have more authority over all Star Wars TV productions, not just the ones he's personally involved in (Andor S1, along with the Visions shorts, is the only Star Wars show made without his involvement).

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Chairman Capone posted:

Besides the aforementioned issue of the first season being a bit overlooked in production which is no longer the case, there's also the fact that after S1 came out, Dave Filoni got promoted to have more authority over all Star Wars TV productions, not just the ones he's personally involved in (Andor S1, along with the Visions shorts, is the only Star Wars show made without his involvement).

I remember when goons loved Filoni. Has the vibe shifted?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Filoni is way too obsessed with his favorite toys

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

From what I've seen I hate his poo poo.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Filoni is completely fine, goons just love to poo poo on Star Wars.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

zoux posted:

It's fun to be reflexively cynical on the internet.
My Internet cynicism on the matter is that the last decade of TV I've watched just kinda gives me the vibe that a majority of shows that are fantastic in Season 1 somehow dip in quality at Season 2, so the pattern stands to reason that Andor S2 will be worse. It could still be amazing but it will be worse. Being Star Wars, using The Volume, or having Disney overlords doesn't really affect any of that.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

What if I told you approaching the second season of a show with that mentality is somewhat of a self-fulfilling prophecy

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Arist posted:

Filoni is way too obsessed with his favorite toys

I think I'd rather they give him a bunch of money to make more animated stuff with his favorite toys.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

zoux posted:

What if I told you approaching the second season of a show with that mentality is somewhat of a self-fulfilling prophecy
I'd say you're right! I'd also insist I'm talking about general reception and not myself but I made the statement like I was talking personally so, yeah, I can't defend that point.

Doesn't mean I'm not looking forward to Severance 2, Andor 2, Poker Face 2, Fallout 2, House of the Dragon 2, and the sequel to that star trek episode of Black Mirror. Still hype as gently caress!

Plus I recognize the shows where the first season was easily outdone by subsequent ones, like Foundation, Barry, Avenue 5, Raised by Wolves, and Mythic Quest. I don't really go in expecting worse when I hit a second season of a show, I just feel like there's a trend that when it's massively huge, like Legion and Mr. Robot, then there's an expectation that can't be met. Notice how the ones I just listed were not massively huge successes in their first season. At least, I don't feel like they were. Maybe Barry?

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 21:44 on May 6, 2024

mystes
May 31, 2006

With Andor at least I get the vibe that they've planned it out as long as Disney doesn't gently caress with it

I'm more worried about season 2 of Severance because that feels more likely to be a mystery box show where they're writing it as they go along which increases the likelihood of a decline if they write themselves into a corner

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Filoni is ok it's just that he basically got promoted into a position where execs are breathing down his neck more, not less from what I can tell

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The thing about Andor is that there's nothing to milk. They can't make spinoffs, they can't run the story way past the point that it should end, because everyone fuckin dies on Scarif. So of all the shows that might be in danger of executive meddling, I'd rate Andor at the very bottom. Also, while I certanily wouldn't dispute that Andor is far and away the best of the Disney SW offerings, it is also the least popular by a good amount.

I expect it will do better in season 2 simply because of word of mouth, but an exec looking at that chart is going to be like "can we add a second Baby Yoda to the Mandalorian?"

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

zoux posted:

The thing about Andor is that there's nothing to milk. They can't make spinoffs, they can't run the story way past the point that it should end, because everyone fuckin dies on Scarif. So of all the shows that might be in danger of executive meddling, I'd rate Andor at the very bottom. Also, while I certanily wouldn't dispute that Andor is far and away the best of the Disney SW offerings, it is also the least popular by a good amount.

I expect it will do better in season 2 simply because of word of mouth, but an exec looking at that chart is going to be like "can we add a second Baby Yoda to the Mandalorian?"

The Young Andor Chronicles.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
You KNOW at least once at Disney executives have talked about making a Rogue One sequel (guess I'll spoiler a 8 year old movie) where Andor was revealed to be alive. "Just look at how excited people were about Boba Fett!"

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Medullah posted:

You KNOW at least once at Disney executives have talked about making a Rogue One sequel (guess I'll spoiler a 8 year old movie) where Andor was revealed to be alive. "Just look at how excited people were about Boba Fett!"

One of the development ideas for how to end Rogue One was to have Andor and Jyn get frozen in carbonite so they could be revived for adventures in the sequel era.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023
They both have to have metal a metal arm though, so they can bro shake when they first see each other.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Is there a thread about Outer Range? This show is great so far. Extremely trippy Josh Brolin poo poo.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Mister Speaker posted:

Is there a thread about Outer Range? This show is great so far. Extremely trippy Josh Brolin poo poo.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3999725

Super old since it has been two years since season 1 ended.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

mystes posted:

I mean yeah probably whatever impulse made them want to insert all the dumb poo poo in the Mandalorian after the first season?

You will have to clarify, I am genuinely not sure what you are referring to.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
My wife needs some recommendations for easy watching. She is looking for shows with female leads, something light hearted, but doesn't have to be a comedy per se. Her favorite show of all time is Gilmore Girls. Other shows she likes:
Zoey's Infinite Playlist
Crazy Ex-Girlfriend
Marvelous Mrs. Maisel

Bonus if the shows also have music/musicals. She is almost done with Call the Midwife, which she really enjoys as well.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

swickles posted:

My wife needs some recommendations for easy watching. She is looking for shows with female leads, something light hearted, but doesn't have to be a comedy per se. Her favorite show of all time is Gilmore Girls. Other shows she likes:
Zoey's Infinite Playlist
Crazy Ex-Girlfriend
Marvelous Mrs. Maisel

Bonus if the shows also have music/musicals. She is almost done with Call the Midwife, which she really enjoys as well.

Ghosts

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Ghosts and Not Dead Yet.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

swickles posted:

Zoey's Infinite Playlist
Crazy Ex-Girlfriend
Marvelous Mrs. Maisel

GLOW

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Royal Crackers is the funniest, most inventively itself adult comedy airing. Everyone should check it out.

If that's where the show ends then it's a perfect series finale, but I could see them telling so many more stories in this way.

swickles posted:

Zoey's Infinite Playlist
Crazy Ex-Girlfriend
Marvelous Mrs. Maisel

Slightly older, but Up Here. It's the perfect blend of likeable characters navigating hot mess dramas in sensitive ways. Cute magical realist elements, great acting and singing -- Katie Finneran steals the show as the ghost of the main character's mum. Lead couple are charming, have strong chemistry.

Plus catchy singing. It's a musical. It's exactly what she's looking for.

GLOW is a good fallback though, yes. Blindspotting and Minx if she's fiending something in the same vein after.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 05:54 on May 7, 2024

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

swickles posted:

Zoey's Infinite Playlist
Crazy Ex-Girlfriend
Marvelous Mrs. Maisel

Besides what's already been recommended:

Girls5Eva
Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt
Never Have I Ever
Wonderfalls

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

swickles posted:

Zoey's Infinite Playlist
Crazy Ex-Girlfriend
Marvelous Mrs. Maisel

Hacks
Dead To Me
Physical
Bridgerton
The Good Place

I'd also recommend Outlander for a show with a strong female lead, although it's not exactly lighthearted, with at least 3 brutal rapes throughout the series. Maid is also very good, but has some heavy themes around poverty.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Not-so-lighthearted but funny shows with strong female leads: Claws, Why Women Kill

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Open Source Idiom posted:

Royal Crackers is the funniest, most inventively itself adult comedy airing. Everyone should check it out.

Great show

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

swickles posted:

Zoey's Infinite Playlist
Crazy Ex-Girlfriend
Marvelous Mrs. Maisel

Cougartown

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring
cougarton abbey

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

swickles posted:

Zoey's Infinite Playlist
Crazy Ex-Girlfriend
Marvelous Mrs. Maisel

iZombie
Veronica Mars
New Girl
Extraordinary
The Great
Harlots

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Veronica Mars is really great I'd probably recommend that tops if she hadn't seen it. It does have some heavy subjects date rape but ultimately it's a great blend of drama and comedy, one of my favorite shows

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Veronica Mars is truly a great show

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

She’s not even from mars

TuxedoOrca
Feb 6, 2024
I've been lied to.

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007