Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

MonsterEnvy posted:

Reminds me of this page from the new crossover blood hunt

Apparently trespassing on Latveria makes you a citizen.

You check in, but you don't check out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

NikkolasKing posted:

I see, thank you both for the information.

I don't know anything about Doom or the F4, really. What I do know is from Spiderman TAS and conversations about this last episode. Some people online are expressing incredulity Doom would ever work with a guy like Bastion. He's apparently of Roma descent and would be as opposed to working with him as Magneto has been wih Red Skull in the comics is the argument I've read. Basically, fans insist that, while he's a villain, he's not a super evil one, but more of a Magneto type.

And in Spiderman TAS, he changes Thing back into normal human looking Ben Grimm and then promises Ben not to kill any of the heroes, just teleports them away with the Beyonder's power. So he seemed like a decent enough guy so far as these things go. Of course Beyonder will recruited him for Team Evil so I dunno.

When Doom does a villain team-up, it usually comes with an asterisk. The only one he genuinely sees eye-to-eye with and likes is Namor, to the point that they had a series in the 70s called Super-Villain Team-Up. Otherwise, if Doom is collaborating with villains, it's usually because he's a Doombot and/or he's trying to bide his time until he can make a power play. He either sees his partners as beneath him or a threat that he needs to keep an eye on.

The biggest example is when Norman Osborn replaced Nick Fury's role and started his own anti-Illuminati called the Cabal, made up of himself, Doom, Namor, Loki, Emma Frost, and the Hood (who is set to be the villain of the Ironheart show). He also has the Sentry as his enforcer to keep everyone in line. There's a short story showing that after their first meeting, Doom and Namor were discussing a plan to wait it out, use Osborn's alliance to their advantage by having the heroes wiped out, then killing or subjugating the rest of the group until Doom is left to rule the land and Namor the sea. But even then, we could see that Doom was fantasizing about strangling Namor to death in the aftermath.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Why would Doom care about a guy messing with mutants

I could absolutely see him supporting that

Doom likely doesn't respect Bastion (and would respect him less if he knew what he truly was), so he sees the Genosha massacre as barbaric and beneath him.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

Infinitum posted:

You check in, but you don't check out.

How can you have room for hate in your heart for your fellow human when it is already full of love for Doom?

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
Marvel has this weird thing where they keep pushing Dr. Doom as "Hitler, but if he was right and really did make the Trains run on time." Up to having the god of Wakanda telling the Black panther to his face that Dr. Doom would be a better ruler of Wakanda than him.

It's actually very loving disgusting.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Nah, I don't get where you have that comparison.

Doom doesn't want to kill people. He wants to rule them. There are few, if any, he sees as his equal but he's not in favor of genocide. The better he treats his people the more accepting they are of him ruling. He wants to apply that philosophy to the world.

I'd agree that him working with Bastion is out of character, but he does mention he doesn't condone what happened. So it seems Bastion kept his exact plan under wraps.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I'm sure there's one comic where the F4 visit Latveria and Sue turns some buildings invisible because why not, and there are guillotines and torture devices hidden in them.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Doom's staff such as scientists routinely comment to one another that the price of failure is death to themselves and their families, it's not like Victor is nice to people who disappoint him.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

https://x.com/CultureCrave/status/1787516977420136927

Superman, there's...something behind you.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Fuckin wish.com Henry Cavill

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

This Superman is kind of a prick. The city is still under attack and he is casually taking his boots off. Some may say he is getting ready, however his suit is already dirty.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Doom is a fascist dictator, he's also charismatic and a fairly good leader. He's also a megalomanic who wants to dominate the entire world (Kinda while he wants world domination, he's almost always portrayed as enjoying the process of taking over the world more than ruling it, and gets bored with it quickly).

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Thick loose fitting rubber shirt's gonna cause some Comments

Rubber Chicken
Mar 13, 2024
I think it looks fine. Seeing it in motion is going to matter a lot more. This is literally engagement bait

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

That was just a dumb comic, I know that the US was very emotional during those days. But having a bunch of killers cry because of what happened doesn't make much sense.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Still one of the all time greatest panels

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

Spacebump posted:

This Superman is kind of a prick. The city is still under attack and he is casually taking his boots off. Some may say he is getting ready, however his suit is already dirty.

he may have taken them off just a moment before begrudgingly putting them back on.

Gunn has said this universe will be already filled by the time we visit it, so that could be a shot of him re-booting for battle #6 of the opening montage.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
DOOM weeps at Reed Richards' callously allowing 9/11 to happen.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

I'm not judging the movie based on the image, but it is a weird first image to show, Superman casually putting his shoes back on while something major happens outside. It's not super exciting. But I guess it's meant to show this is just everyday stuff to this Superman? He seems bored. Yay new Superman movie?

Also, I can't say exactly why, but I get some vague GotG 3 vibes from it.

It's not exactly the same, but it's there, I think.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

MonsterEnvy posted:

Doom is a fascist dictator, he's also charismatic and a fairly good leader. He's also a megalomanic who wants to dominate the entire world (Kinda while he wants world domination, he's almost always portrayed as enjoying the process of taking over the world more than ruling it, and gets bored with it quickly).

Yeah, Doom loves conquering more than anything else. There are two different stories where he takes over the world with mind-control, then goes, "I really need one of the Avengers to stop me because this is so boring."

There's an awesome What If based around Doom winning the original Secret Wars and retaining his Beyonder powers. First he goes to Earth and easily overpowers the remaining heroes. He conquers the world, fixes a lot of its problems, then flies off to space. He conquers planets, acquires the Infinity Gauntlet, then decides to pick a fight with the Celestials. The fight lasts about 160 years, but Doom destroys them all. At the same time, the Gauntlet has been destroyed, and his powers are waning. He realizes that the shockwaves from the fight knocked Earth off its axis, causing a new ice age that will snuff out humanity. Doom uses the last of his power to set it back on the right course, then finds himself excited to start again from the ground up, though now he's no longer ashamed of his facial scars.

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
Supes zipped home to reup his boots. That ball of action scene is hell on boots.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

StrugglingHoneybun posted:

he may have taken them off just a moment before begrudgingly putting them back on.

Gunn has said this universe will be already filled by the time we visit it, so that could be a shot of him re-booting for battle #6 of the opening montage.

My comment was a joke.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

thrawn527 posted:

I'm not judging the movie based on the image, but it is a weird first image to show, Superman casually putting his shoes back on while something major happens outside. It's not super exciting. But I guess it's meant to show this is just everyday stuff to this Superman? He seems bored. Yay new Superman movie?

I don't think it's from the movie I think it's just a promotional still to show of the costume.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

zoux posted:

I don't think it's from the movie I think it's just a promotional still to show of the costume.

Oh I know, but it's meant to show off the costume and be representative of the movie in theory, and it's just not exciting at all. Like I said, not judging the movie based off of it, I'm just saying it's an odd choice.

Man of Steel's first image was this:

Which sells a much different energy.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

"I'm robbing banks now"

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
So is Cavill cursed or an arsehole or he really seems to have poo poo luck to me.

(Activate Highlander reboot plz)

Dead on Arrival
Nov 4, 2008

Monica Bellucci posted:

So is Cavill cursed or an arsehole or he really seems to have poo poo luck to me.

He is working on a 40k project. He is living his dream...

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

thrawn527 posted:

Oh I know, but it's meant to show off the costume and be representative of the movie in theory, and it's just not exciting at all. Like I said, not judging the movie based off of it, I'm just saying it's an odd choice.

Man of Steel's first image was this:

Which sells a much different energy.

cant believe snyder is making supes a CRIMINAL

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

Spacebump posted:

My comment was a joke.

*extremely drax voice* my people are very literal

Space Robot
Sep 3, 2011

If Magneto actually gave a gently caress like this panel seems to indicate, he could probably help instead of just standing there like an rear end in a top hat.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'm pretty sure that everyone in those panels, except maybe Kingpin, is personally responsible for way more than 3k deaths.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Space Robot posted:

If Magneto actually gave a gently caress like this panel seems to indicate, he could probably help instead of just standing there like an rear end in a top hat.

I think he's lifting the steel beams? Not that it helps the panel at all.

Rubber Chicken
Mar 13, 2024
Who's the loving Easter Island head dude

Is that kingpin? Is this also a dick Tracy crossover

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Also they didn't say poo poo when Juggernaut did the same thing

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

zoux posted:

Also they didn't say poo poo when Juggernaut did the same thing

Well...that's unfortunate.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
Doom is one of those characters where it’s like yes, on one level he’s ’sympathetic dictator’, but also most portrayals of him really hammer home that he is terminally insecure, so the sympathy really comes from writing that effectively and relatably portrays his considerable personal shortcomings . I think it’s really up to readers to separate the ‘this guy is fun to read’ from the ‘this guy is cool as hell’.

He’s a cautionary tale about being your own worst enemy, and I think his best (and funniest) writing seems to come from there. I really like that comic where he’s about to save the world by shutting down some moon portal, until Reed Richards calls to wish him good luck, and then it all quickly goes to poo poo because he starts to second guess why RR would say that.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Another flaw is that neither Doom nor Magneto are American.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

The Grumbles posted:

Doom is one of those characters where it’s like yes, on one level he’s ’sympathetic dictator’, but also most portrayals of him really hammer home that he is terminally insecure, so the sympathy really comes from writing that effectively and relatably portrays his considerable personal shortcomings . I think it’s really up to readers to separate the ‘this guy is fun to read’ from the ‘this guy is cool as hell’.

He’s a cautionary tale about being your own worst enemy, and I think his best (and funniest) writing seems to come from there. I really like that comic where he’s about to save the world by shutting down some moon portal, until Reed Richards calls to wish him good luck, and then it all quickly goes to poo poo because he starts to second guess why RR would say that.

Honestly, it's my favourite part of the Hickman Secret Wars (the one the MCU was at least dabbling with before the Majors stuff): The ending comes down to the only way to save all of existence is for Doom to admit Reed is smarter than him.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Monica Bellucci posted:

As far as the Superman stuff goes just bad luck but tbh the previous attempt to reboot didn't go anywhere either so maybe it's just the IP that is cursed.

Cavill's career seems to be doing fine and by all accounts he's a chill guy who really likes video games - there are certainly worse situations to be in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Cavill’s Warhammer 40K show on Prime is probably going to be awesome.

And then when he’s not working on that, he’ll post social media videos of himself running GPU benchmark tests on $7,000 gaming computers.