Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Tafferling posted:

Reviews are up at Mixed on Steam. People don't want to ruin a perfectly good cape with a fifth red line, it just wouldn't work.

This is an awesome turn of events, I'm just sad that everybody will wear the same cape until the servers turn to dust.

the best cape is the last one you get in the free warbond, with the gold diamond on it.

at least until we get the LGBT cape

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Sagebrush posted:

Stun grenade, Sickle, and Blitzer are all fantastic and I think those make Cutting Edge the best warbond to get.

Second best is Steeled Veterans almost entirely for the revolver, which is not really any better than the other pistols but it's got tons of style, particularly against bots. The Breaker Incendiary is good against bugs, but I think it's a little overrated.

I haven't found anything in Democratic Detonation that I like. I know a lot of people use the Erupter but it's just a baby autocannon that shoots much more slowly.

I don't feel any urge to buy the next warbond. Nothing in it seems like a real gotta-have.

the blitzer is incredibly bad, are you sure that you aren't getting it confused with the punisher plasma?

ArmyGroup303
Apr 10, 2004

If this were real life, I would have piloted this helicopter with you still in it.
Update: Below is a photoshop. It's still looks amazing and I'd wear it.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ArmyGroup303 fucked around with this message at 21:50 on May 6, 2024

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Hats Wouldnt Fly posted:

I think everyone just shoots at dropships and coincidences occur. Among my friend group its a running joke to claim you took down a dropship with your liberator or whatever just because of how often it appears you did because you didn't see the rocket the other guy shot.

Just like that scene out of Saving Private Ryan where the Captain starts shooting a tank with his M1911 and it suddenly explodes. For a brief moment, he's thinking in his near-death delirium that he somehow destroyed a tank with his pistol when he looks up and nope, it was an airstrike.

Tafferling posted:

Reviews are up at Mixed on Steam. People don't want to ruin a perfectly good cape with a fifth red line, it just wouldn't work.

This is an awesome turn of events, I'm just sad that everybody will wear the same cape until the servers turn to dust.

The cape needs to have mirrored lines coming up from the bottom as well. In addition, one of the top lines needs a small section of it colored in gold. Finally, there's a black hole in between the two opposing sets of lines.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

turn off the TV posted:

the blitzer is incredibly bad, are you sure that you aren't getting it confused with the punisher plasma?

no, the blitzer arc shotgun. it one-shots most bug heads, two-shots bile spewers, arcs between enemies, and has infinite ammo. i love it and it's my pick on bug missions (sickle for bots). my only problem with it is the weird camera glitch that jerks the camera to the right when it fires.

the punisher plasma is okay but the scorcher is better because it doesn't have the crazy trajectory.

ArmyGroup303 posted:

Amazing trolling by Arrowhead with this new cape.

that's not a photoshop? dang, can't wait lol

e: no, it's just a very good photoshop.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 21:43 on May 6, 2024

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Tafferling posted:

I’m always gonna wear the creek cape because I miss that planet

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

ArmyGroup303 posted:

:pusheen: :perfect:

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

Bottom Liner posted:

cheat death armor is extremely good. that + personal shield in bots means I rarely die.

yeah I run that one on bots and ultra light scout on bugs. The shield preventing hunters from slowing you makes up for any light armor weakness - and bugs is just forever running so max stam is good

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Sagebrush posted:

no, the blitzer arc shotgun. it one-shots most bug heads, two-shots bile spewers, arcs between enemies, and has infinite ammo. i love it and it's my pick on bug missions (sickle for bots). my only problem with it is the weird camera glitch that jerks the camera to the right when it fires.

yeah the blitzer can one shot warriors and hunters if you land headshots and then they will still walk up to you and attack you and the arc doesn't one shot hunters or warriors and does nothing to hive guards or brood commanders or whatever so you're basically pissing into the wind while using it half the time. i've used it for a few bug missions and it's just a solid turd

the plasma punisher will one shot basic bot trooper guys so it's competent at clearing out groups of them

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

ArmyGroup303 posted:

I'm creeking anyone I see wearing this cape on sight.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
The introduction of the big walking factories have really hosed up the bot "tower defense" mission with the closeable gates.

In the past my group really enjoy this mission type because it was a constant turkey shoot of blasting down dropships and making a big pile of scrap at the first Y intersection that we would periodically bombard with calldowns and constant quasar fire. Since the big walkers were added we have failed it 2/2 times because the second a walker is able to poke through the first Y intersection it seems like they just have a straight line of sight to the final defense target and instantly kill it. It feels so unceremonious that it almost seems like a design oversight.

I don't know how to deal with it because we already tend to drop multiple heavy calldowns and focus fire whenever a walker shows up so I don't know how much more counterplay is possible, clearly either we are missing something or the mission is just stupid now.

ArmyGroup303
Apr 10, 2004

If this were real life, I would have piloted this helicopter with you still in it.

Sagebrush posted:

e: no, it's just a very good photoshop.

drat, had such high hopes. It looks freaking awesome.

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

turn off the TV posted:

yeah the blitzer can one shot warriors and hunters if you land headshots and then they will still walk up to you and attack you and the arc doesn't one shot hunters or warriors and does nothing to hive guards or brood commanders or whatever so you're basically pissing into the wind while using it half the time. i've used it for a few bug missions and it's just a solid turd
Once warriors or brood commanders are headless, if they run up to you to attack you, you get to freely knock them back and stun them with a melee strike.

The blitzer's issue is that it is limited by the number of things it can hit at once, and it having somewhat finnicky targeting. I get rid of those weaknesses with a laser drone to deal with chaff bugs, and I spend a lot of time looping sprint>shoot>dive to reposition and make space from hordes. With even a single person backing you up, you can push back anything that isn't a charger or bile titan.

Scoss posted:

The introduction of the big walking factories have really hosed up the bot "tower defense" mission with the closeable gates.

In the past my group really enjoy this mission type because it was a constant turkey shoot of blasting down dropships and making a big pile of scrap at the first Y intersection that we would periodically bombard with calldowns and constant quasar fire. Since the big walkers were added we have failed it 2/2 times because the second a walker is able to poke through the first Y intersection it seems like they just have a straight line of sight to the final defense target and instantly kill it. It feels so unceremonious that it almost seems like a design oversight.

I don't know how to deal with it because we already tend to drop multiple heavy calldowns and focus fire whenever a walker shows up so I don't know how much more counterplay is possible, clearly either we are missing something or the mission is just stupid now.
Recoilless with team reload and 380s are good options against the Factory Striders. Recoilless because you can shoot down dropships with incredible speed, shoot the exposed neck or the eyeball of the strider to down it relatively quickly, and deal with the cannon on its back with direct fire. 380 barrages can kill most Automoton units in one hit, so each time you end up with a factory strider you can huck a 380 into that area to tamp down any chaff that's there and occasionally nuke the strider.

Really, once you kill the miniguns on the strider (JAR Dominator, AC, Sniper, Laser can do this), and the back cannon (Recoilless, EAT, Quasar, Rocket pods) I don't know what threat the factory strider poses to the generators. I will say that the Quasar isn't in a good spot to contest the sheer amount of heavy units that higher difficulty defense missions bring to the table.

Sestze fucked around with this message at 21:55 on May 6, 2024

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

Scoss posted:

Apply EAT/rockers directly to the cannon turret ASAP. It’s cheesy how fast they can nuke the batteries but it’s possible to defend against, you just need everyone to immediately prio that as soon as it pops up (and have a field of discarded EATs ready to go)

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

^^^ oh, yeah deffo take out the top cannon ASAP.

Scoss posted:

Second walker? Hmmm. Something isn't right there as I've been in Helldive games where we've dealt with a lot more than that. What are your loadouts? Are you using EMP sentries? What level is this?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Sestze posted:

Once warriors or brood commanders are headless, if they run up to you to attack you, you get to freely knock them back and stun them with a melee strike.

it's not really freely when there are a dozen other bugs trying to also attack you

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Yeah you can't actually kill the walkers fast enough to stop them from blowing up the generators, but you can disable the cannon, which solves the same problem

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

turn off the TV posted:

The blitzer just recently got a +50% rate of fire buff. It's pretty good now.

Sagebrush posted:

no, the blitzer arc shotgun. it one-shots most bug heads, two-shots bile spewers, arcs between enemies,
It doesn't arc between enemies though. It just has 5 projectiles that home in on nearby enemies when you shoot it.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015

Doctor Zero posted:

^^^ oh, yeah deffo take out the top cannon ASAP.

Second walker? Hmmm. Something isn't right there as I've been in Helldive games where we've dealt with a lot more than that. What are your loadouts? Are you using EMP sentries? What level is this?

"...the second a walker...", as in it seems to end the mission the moment it pokes through the Y choke. In reality it's probably the fourth or fifth walker to spawn.

We play on Helldive and I think everyone's loadout is basically Quasar / 500kg / Orbital Rail or some other anti-heavy calldown / Mortar

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
...everyone's taking quasar on bots? You'll kill factory striders way faster by shooting the less armored bits of their face with autocannon/laser cannon/AMR.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

I haven't found anything in Democratic Detonation that I use regularly. I know a lot of people use the Erupter but it's just a baby autocannon that shoots much more slowly.

Eruptor is the way and the light. It can one shot anything lower than a charger, including bile spewers and stalkers, and it can solo heavy bug nests without triggering any spawns. There's no other primary that can come close to doing that.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
The Arc Blitzer is actually 5 little aimbots each with a 120 degree cone that extends from the front of the gun. When you pull the trigger each aimbot tries to headshot exactly one enemy up to 30m in front of it. They do 50 damage base, but headshots functionally mean they do a lot more. They don't know what the other aimbots are doing (so you can have multiple shots hit the same target) and they can target corpses and occasionally landscape stuff. They do not jump or arc to additional targets.

ADS adds 1 meter to the distance and reduces the cone by a very small amount (I believe 5 degrees?).

Based on these limitations the best thing to do is simply to run around and hip fire it. Don't stay in one place too long fighting a horde or the amount of corpses on the ground will seriously impair the gun's efficiency.

So yeah keep this stuff in mind as you use the gun, it's very good up to Helldive, where enemy density just sort of overwhelms it without a lot of mobility and tactical retreating.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006

LazyMaybe posted:

...everyone's taking quasar on bots? You'll kill factory striders way faster by shooting the less armored bits of their face with autocannon/laser cannon/AMR.

Yeah if you can get a low enough angle on a factory strider, less than a full autocannon clip will kill it with belly shots.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

LazyMaybe posted:

The blitzer just recently got a +50% rate of fire buff. It's pretty good now.

unless the buff was yesterday it's still bad

Baiard
Nov 7, 2011

it's good for you

Sagebrush posted:

I don't feel any urge to buy the next warbond. Nothing in it seems like a real gotta-have. Maybe the baby quasar cannon would be fun? idk

I feel the same way. I only really like running weapons with AP 3 or higher, and I'd pick the Scorcher over the new plasma one unless there's something I'm missing.

At least they're not sticking All Terrain Boots in this warbond to go with the snow theme since it's already free.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Arc thrower is extremely good against bugs and you can basically block a chokepoint indefinitely with it. It's the only weapon that has no real reload or limitation to constant damage output, and scales up very well against lil guys.

Blitzer is like a lovely version of it without a charge-up, which is fine since that's basically what primaries are supposed to be.

Break-action shotgun loving sucks and I don't understand why it exists. For fun and challenge I always grab it and use it every time I find it. It should be a primary.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Your Brain on Hugs posted:

Yeah if you can get a low enough angle on a factory strider, less than a full autocannon clip will kill it with belly shots.
Don't even need belly shots, shoot the eye or the other bits on the face that have less armor.

Laser cannon in particular will kill the face very fast, but I like autocannon/AMR more for automatons otherwise.

turn off the TV posted:

unless the buff was yesterday it's still bad
It's not one of my top picks but it's reasonable now. Huge difference between a shotgun with 30 RoF and 45.
Mind, I still think people are overrating the effect of the electricity(see people thinking it arcs between enemies or otherwise has actual AoE) and unlimited ammo.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

d0grent posted:

the shield backpack is a little bit slept on if only for the fact that it saves you from 90% of teamkill scenarios. I've saved up to 8 additional lives for the squad just by not dying to dumb poo poo that my team's sentries or stratagems do (or my own for that matter)

I had a teammate using shield backpack yesterday and I shot eruptor at enemies like 100 m away and I saw the shrapnel ping his shield and disable it. Thought, wow, saved his life.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

jokes posted:

Break-action shotgun loving sucks and I don't understand why it exists. For fun and challenge I always grab it and use it every time I find it. It should be a primary.
It exists as a joke about how unprepared/unsupported the colonists out on these planets are. It's a lovely outdated weapon by design.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
It wouldn't be any good at all in HD2 but I want them to add back in the sawed-off Double Freedom SxS from the first game because it was so fun

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

The blitzer's real strength is its stagger effect. With the new ROF you can essentially stun-lock a group of 4-5 medium enemies. It can be surprisingly effective vs bots since it can keep a squad of berserkers at bay better than any other primary. Its damage output is still quite poor though, so you really need a teammate with something like a sickle or liberator to help take them down

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Insert name here posted:

It wouldn't be any good at all in HD2 but I want them to add back in the sawed-off Double Freedom SxS from the first game because it was so fun

A sawed-off pistol slot weapon would be baller.

Baby T. Love
Aug 5, 2009

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

The blitzer's real strength is its stagger effect. With the new ROF you can essentially stun-lock a group of 4-5 medium enemies. It can be surprisingly effective vs bots since it can keep a squad of berserkers at bay better than any other primary. Its damage output is still quite poor though, so you really need a teammate with something like a sickle or liberator to help take them down

May thy teammate be Flame and the Dog named Rover.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

yeah, i only play with a group of friends so blitzer is very effective even though it doesn't kill very fast as it stops any stream of bullshit in place (even up to two stalkers, if you backpedal) for the crew to kill effortlessly

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
The thing about the blitzer is it’s not the breaker incendiary and by that I mean it can’t easily take out a patrol of hunters without repositioning or getting help from the laser dog.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

I also use the break action shotgun if im feeling it, it feels awesome to use even though it is pitifully bad. Really hope they have plans to buff it at some point.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

Blitzer really was always decent against bugs. And then they increased fire rate. it doesnt solve every problem but it can keep medium sized bugs away from you and hunters off you.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Question Time posted:

drat, that was fast. Stun grenade looks nice, going to grind some 1s today to get enough SC for cutting edge.

Yeah in that video he does the stun/cook leg thing several times.

Stuns help killing chargers with the EAT/Quasar/RR also. You stun it and then you can put the dot right on its little faceplate and not have to sweat missing so often. If you hit the faceplate from the side with one of those weapons you will also usually behead it, but tricky to time without the stuns.

They synergize well with a group. If you have a flamebro in your group and you stun a charger you can just move on to something else if they are available and do not have to waste a rocket.

I think it is well worth the damage output you lose to use stun grenades, just charger management alone is great.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

turn off the TV posted:

yeah the guard dog's poo poo ammo management coupled with its reliance on supply packs still makes it an incredibly dubious pick. i think that they could give it an infinite supply and it'd still be balanced

I'd rather have a dog that fired something stronger but slower. Give me a Dilligence on a dog and I'd be happy feeding it supply packs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huszsersvn
Nov 11, 2009

Nice world you've got here. Shame if anything were to happen to it.

ArmyGroup303 posted:

Update: Below is a photoshop. It's still looks amazing and I'd wear it.

It looks like a pictogram of the Helldiver salute.