Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

CN CREW-VESSEL
Feb 1, 2024

敌人磨刀我们也磨刀

mawarannahr posted:

posting on the forums

You have to pay to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

CN CREW-VESSEL posted:

You have to pay to do it.

paying for something isn't really the market...

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

mila kunis posted:

anyone find it a bit odd that ukrainian nationalist chrystia freeland isn't straining every sinew to simply remove all of ukraine's financial debts to the west and the IMF?

Let's assume she's actually an ultra-nationalist with genuine fascistic sympathies, because that seems likely. Remember that quote in Ignatieff's book about her travelling to Ukraine and being disappointed to find the Soviet mentality had infected the average Ukrainian deep into their bones? If beating Russia isn't really an option, why make peace? Would it not be better to have a ruinous defeat to build a myth around? Myths are powerful, they got us here. All she'd need now if for actual real Ukrainians who live in Ukraine to begin to think more like those "Ukrainian exiles" born into and living in the west. Throwing all the olds away in a war helps wipe clean the real, largely positive experiences of living in the USSR. Those real lived experiences are deeply problematic for her vision, they simply don't line up with what she believes to be true. Better to have them all killed by the Russians, it lets her rewrite history and reshape a broken Ukraine as she sees fit. It is worth remembering that Nationalists tend to be very selfish, presenting what is only best for them as being best for their nation.

She's also a landlord if I recall, owning many properties in Kiev. I can believe a Canadian landlord can see advantages to having their subjects trapped in an endless debt cycle.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

mawarannahr posted:

posting on the forums

but SA is ruled by market logic. the shrinking of its user base since the 2000s shows the tendency of the rate of posting to fall.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

SuperKlaus posted:

but SA is ruled by market logic. the shrinking of its user base since the 2000s shows the tendency of the rate of posting to fall.

CSPAM has actually grown larger :confused:

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
unequal rates of posting in different sectors, that's all

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://x.com/ZelenskyyUa/status/1787512709195407536

quote:

I had a call with Prime Minister of Canada
@JustinTrudeau
to thank him for his support for the Peace Formula and Canada’s leadership in the International coalition for the return of Ukrainian children.

The Peace Summit in Switzerland must serve as a platform for restoring justice and bringing home all detained and deported persons. We count on Canada’s support.

CN CREW-VESSEL
Feb 1, 2024

敌人磨刀我们也磨刀

Virtual Russian posted:

Let's assume she's actually an ultra-nationalist with genuine fascistic sympathies, because that seems likely. Remember that quote in Ignatieff's book about her travelling to Ukraine and being disappointed to find the Soviet mentality had infected the average Ukrainian deep into their bones? If beating Russia isn't really an option, why make peace? Would it not be better to have a ruinous defeat to build a myth around? Myths are powerful, they got us here. All she'd need now if for actual real Ukrainians who live in Ukraine to begin to think more like those "Ukrainian exiles" born into and living in the west. Throwing all the olds away in a war helps wipe clean the real, largely positive experiences of living in the USSR. Those real lived experiences are deeply problematic for her vision, they simply don't line up with what she believes to be true. Better to have them all killed by the Russians, it lets her rewrite history and reshape a broken Ukraine as she sees fit. It is worth remembering that Nationalists tend to be very selfish, presenting what is only best for them as being best for their nation.

She's also a landlord if I recall, owning many properties in Kiev. I can believe a Canadian landlord can see advantages to having their subjects trapped in an endless debt cycle.

She's not just a landlord, she's reportedly a Junker and has some sort of schloss, with a country home, gardens, and tenant farms.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

CN CREW-VESSEL posted:

She's not just a landlord, she's reportedly a Junker and has some sort of schloss, with a country home, gardens, and tenant farms.

shouldn't this make you more sympathetic to her???

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

y'all talk about rejecting modernity and embracing tradition but when a woman does it suddenly all the knives come out

CN CREW-VESSEL
Feb 1, 2024

敌人磨刀我们也磨刀

V. Illych L. posted:

shouldn't this make you more sympathetic to her???

A Ruthenian Junker? What's next, a talking horse?

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/miss_rai1/status/1787424943426163036

The Kerch Bridge is like the Three Gorges Dam of Eastern Europe what with the NATO obsession over it.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Danann posted:

The Kerch Bridge is like the Three Gorges Dam of Eastern Europe what with the NATO obsession over it.

a few days ago there were a bunch of triumphant articles about ukraine having attacked the kerch bridge again

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Danann posted:

I forgot the US is obssessed with destroying the dam in a war. Demon nation

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Happy Easter to the Orthodox Christians, says the USA President :

www.whitehouse.gov - Sun, 05 May 2024 posted:

Jill and I send warm wishes to Orthodox Christian communities around the world as they celebrate Easter.

The Resurrection of Jesus Christ reminds us of God’s abundant love for us and the power of light over darkness. We join Orthodox Christians in giving thanks for these and other blessings and rededicate ourselves to caring for those most in need.

In this sacred season, we hold people who are suffering from war and persecution especially close to our hearts. We will continue to pray and work for peace and justice for all people. 

May the Lord bless and keep you this Easter Sunday and in the year ahead.
Interesting he doesn't mention the top two aggressors against Orthodox Christians: Israel and the Ukraine. Both are condemned by the UN (cornerstone of the RuBIO) but enthusiastically supported by the USA:

Freedom of Religion Must Prevail in Ukraine, Even as War Drags On, Senior UN Human Rights Official Tells Security Council

press.un.org posted:

Everyone in Ukraine must have complete freedom to manifest and practice their religion or belief, a senior UN official told the Security Council today as she detailed restrictions on religious freedom and threats to the safety of religious communities in the country and called on both Ukraine and the Russian Federation to ensure that fundamental human right.

“Concerns regarding the enjoyment of freedom of religion in Ukraine, including in occupied territory, have increased since February 2022,” said Ilze Brands Kehris, Assistant Secretary-General for Human Rights in the Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR), noting growing tensions between the Ukrainian Orthodox Church and the Orthodox Church of Ukraine.

“Restoring peace and respect for the United Nations Charter and international law is urgent.  While the war and occupation persist, we call on all parties to ensure that all people in Ukraine have full freedom to manifest and practice their religion or belief, in line with international human rights law.”

Since February 2022, OHCHR has documented 10 cases of physical violence and six cases of threatened violence resulting from disputes between parishioners of different Orthodox communities, she said. Ukrainian law enforcement’s response in these cases has failed to sufficiently investigate incidents and take action to protect members of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church, she added. 

She drew attention to the Ukraine Parliament’s first-reading approval of draft amendments to the law on religious organizations, which, if adopted, would establish a procedure to dissolve “religious organizations affiliated with influence centres, the management of which is located in a country, which carries out armed aggression against Ukraine”.  Lawmakers must clearly define the specific legitimate aim of the proposed restrictions and ensure their necessity and proportionality and revise the text accordingly, she said.

Meanwhile, although international humanitarian law obliges an occupying Power to respect the laws in force in the country, the Russian Federation is applying its own laws in occupied territory, she said. Elaborating, she detailed restrictions on religious minorities and cases of alleged torture of clergy.

Vakhtang Kipshidze, Vice-Chairman of Synodal Department for Church’s Relations with Society and Mass Media, Moscow Patriarchate, who also briefed the Council, said:  “An analysis of the situation leads us to the assessment that the authorities of the country have an objective of completely annihilating the Ukrainian Orthodox Church.”  Believers who do not want to convert to the Orthodox Church [of Ukraine], established by current Ukrainian authorities in 2018, will be stripped of their rights, he said. 

“The first step to the restoration of peace in Ukraine is the end to persecution of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church,” he said, calling on Council members to abandon political differences for the sake of the principle of religious freedom and adopt effective measures to protect worshipers in Ukraine.

During the debate that followed, the Russian Federation’s representative, said that the Ukraine Parliament’s draft legislation would completely ban the activities of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church.  The Kyiv regime is trying to justify the purge of the country’s religious field and free the hands of radicals to violence and lawlessness, he added, pointing to seizures of churches and forced illegal legal liquidation of their communities under the guise of supposedly “voluntary transitions” to other faiths, since 2019.  Despite OHCHR documenting 10 cases of physical violence and six cases of threats after conflicts between parishioners of different Orthodox Christian communities, the Council’s Western members continue to ignore this, he said, pointing to “an attempt to reform the consciousness of tens of millions of Ukrainians”.

The United States’ delegate, however, said that the Russian Federation’s use of the Council to further disinformation was additional evidence that it does not respect freedom of expression and belief around the world. He also expressed alarm that the Russian Federation is trying to justify its invasion by framing the war as a holy war between good and evil.  “We should all see through this façade” and focus on the well-documented and systematic policy of religious oppression in the territories under Russian Federation occupation, he said.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Danann posted:

lol at it being phrased as this somehow being a loss for Russia. They are 'having to use all their other routes'. Russia is losing so badly it has multiple redundant resupply routes the loving idiots

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

"Cóż, wygląda na to, że zostaliśmy łaskawie oszczędzeni trudu decydowania o własnym losie. Jakże uprzejme z ich strony, że przearanżowali Europę bez kłopotu naszego zdania!"

Danann posted:

I was talking about this just the other day lol, the Kerch Bridge is barely even part of military logistics now, if at all

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

VoicesCanBe posted:

I was talking about this just the other day lol, the Kerch Bridge is barely even part of military logistics now, if at all

yeah because it keeps being attacked. looks like a ukrainian w

CN CREW-VESSEL
Feb 1, 2024

敌人磨刀我们也磨刀
Remember the many, many articles about how Russia could never build a bridge across the straits in the first place?

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
They made the Russian do a good job and build up redundancy into their supply chain, got’em.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

KomradeX posted:

I forgot the US is obssessed with destroying the dam in a war. Demon nation

The UK authorized its weapons to be used, evil consumes Zelenskyy

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

lobster shirt posted:

threatening intervention if an invasion takes place from belarusian soil is also weird because uhh that already happened in 2022
lol thank you. I thought maybe I was misremembering

supersnowman
Oct 3, 2012

CN CREW-VESSEL posted:

Remember the many, many articles about how Russia could never build a bridge across the straits in the first place?

Reposting for lulz. It contain a little video compilation of such claim.

https://t.me/Slavyangrad/96471

quote:

Ironically, Ukraine spent years denying the existence of the Kerch bridge and Russia's ability to build it.

@Slavyangrad

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
permabandera

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

lobster shirt posted:

yeah i have long suspected that a lot of new military tech is too expensive and complex to produce at the scale needed for a large conventional war. and now we are seeing it in action. vindicated... at last.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHRbX3gDba8&t=46s

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

i just learned that r/russia is quarantined lmao

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

r/russia is quarantined

This Community contains a high volume of information not supported by credible sources. Learn more about quarantined communities

If you'd still like to view this community, verify your email address to continue.

CN CREW-VESSEL
Feb 1, 2024

敌人磨刀我们也磨刀
What if I just cut out the middleman and provide my email address to a PO Box at Eglin AFB?

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

lobster shirt posted:

r/russia is quarantined

This Community contains a high volume of information not supported by credible sources. Learn more about quarantined communities

If you'd still like to view this community, verify your email address to continue.

Lol D&D mod rear end post

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Are the Russians invited to this Peace Summit or is it just NATO

CN CREW-VESSEL
Feb 1, 2024

敌人磨刀我们也磨刀

DaysBefore posted:

Imagine the Congress of Vienna being held by the Second Coalition or something.

supersnowman
Oct 3, 2012

DaysBefore posted:

Last update we have is they are not and Ukraine say the Russian will prevent it.

https://t.me/Slavyangrad/96497

quote:

There are no limits to fantasies. The head of the office of the President of Ukraine came up with the idea that Russia was trying to disrupt the first peace summit in Switzerland.

Andrei Ermak said that the event will take place on June 15 and 16, but the Russian side is allegedly trying to prevent it. “We know about all the plans,” Ermak claims, but he cannot say anything more specific. Because these are fantasies out of nowhere.

The main task of the Ukrainian peace formula is to unite the world community around a fair solution. The principles of the summit were developed and agreed upon during a series of international meetings of national security advisers initiated by the office of the President of Ukraine,
- said Ermak.

According to him, the summit can become a platform for achieving
"comprehensive and lasting peace in Ukraine."

Switzerland officially stated that the Russian Federation was not invited to the summit. At the same time, more than 160 delegations from around the world will attend the event.

Dmitry Peskov said that any negotiations on Ukraine without Russia are not aimed at results. Residents of our country understand that nothing should be expected from this clownery.

The problem is that the Ukrainian authorities, by holding such events, give their population false hope that peace negotiations are possible. Ukrainians are tired of war, and some of them may believe that the summit in Switzerland will solve something. But without Russia, this will not happen.

Zelensky prohibited negotiations with our country at the legal level. It follows from this that any such summits and other dances with tambourines only imitate vigorous activity, and everything is decided on the front line.

@Slavyangrad

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010

lobster shirt posted:

r/russia is quarantined

I found a list of quarantined subreddits and of the ones I checked only /r/russia and /r/GenZedong require emails

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

SplitSoul posted:

Soooo... what happened to that other Polish NAFO founder who was a literal Holocaust denier "in order to fit in with his friends online"?

How does PPJ keep finding these people?

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

CN CREW-VESSEL posted:

well someones gotta protect us from SNATCHERs

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Officer Sandvich posted:

I found a list of quarantined subreddits and of the ones I checked only /r/russia and /r/GenZedong require emails

Not cool enough to get banned like chappo reddits huh.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

So Asia Times is saying French Foreign Legion is already on the ground

AP fact checker is saying no

BBC is indicating it's on the table but no confirmation as of yet

https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/cq5npwdv3wzo

Paragraph 3 and 6

I need to go reenable my Google News alert for "powderkeg"

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

do we have any videos of zelensky playing musical instruments

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Wait, what the gently caress is this bullshit? They are doing another round of peace talks that do not include Russia?

And no I will not read any of the posts above this one addressing this question