Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 21 days!)

https://twitter.com/tsulala/status/1787491403196473651

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
The Cowboy Bebop soundtrack being so epic papers over most other deficiencies the show might have. Just like most Star Wars movies.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
just finished Hi-Evolution 3 and oh my god i am so mad!! what a mess.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

net work error posted:

Patrol...labor...much to think about

Gun... dam....

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

TenementFunster posted:

just finished Hi-Evolution 3 and oh my god i am so mad!! what a mess.

every single bit of e7 media after the first series is best ignored

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Kitfox88 posted:

every single bit of e7 media after the first series is best ignored
it’s so bad! whose idea was this? they were clearly trying to go for a Eva Rebuild for E7 but good god!

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Is there still E7 stuff coming out? Who is it for?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Tbh I never really like Eureka 7 much. I remember other people really loving it, though.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

genericnick posted:

Is there still E7 stuff coming out? Who is it for?
masochists

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Ytlaya posted:

Tbh I never really like Eureka 7 much. I remember other people really loving it, though.
zorak post

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
Mobile Suit Gundam Seed Freedom kicks rear end.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Ytlaya posted:

It’s one of those shows that’s kind of mid for half the run and then gets really good in the second half and the ending is pretty fantastic. If you didn’t stick it out you’d probably have a weak impression of the show but I also wouldn’t expect anyone to wait 20+ episodes for something to get good either

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Gripweed posted:

:hai:

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

The people saying it’s so bad it’s good frustrate me. As if that movie didn’t know exactly what it wanted to do and succeeded. Everything you enjoyed about that movie was intentional!

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Kit Walker posted:

I also wouldn’t expect anyone to wait 20+ episodes for something to get good either

this was basically mandatory in that era of anime

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Gripweed posted:

The people saying it’s so bad it’s good frustrate me. As if that movie didn’t know exactly what it wanted to do and succeeded. Everything you enjoyed about that movie was intentional!

Personally I just assume people saying stuff like that liked it but are too afraid to genuinely admit they enjoyed anything that's part of Seed. I'm built different though so I can say that I sincerely liked it.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Kit Walker posted:

It’s one of those shows that’s kind of mid for half the run and then gets really good in the second half and the ending is pretty fantastic. If you didn’t stick it out you’d probably have a weak impression of the show but I also wouldn’t expect anyone to wait 20+ episodes for something to get good either
the first half was better than mid imo but yeah anything with a well done ending is so loving rare! adtrw went nuts over it back during the original run

Zodar
May 21, 2007

TenementFunster posted:

it’s so bad! whose idea was this? they were clearly trying to go for a Eva Rebuild for E7 but good god!

Kawamori really likes to do that "here's a parallel-universe version of this story that assumes the audience has seen the original" thing with his shows -- see also Macross: DYRL (which rules), the Vision of Escaflowne movie (somehow twice as pretty and twice as dumb as Escaflowne TV, which is no mean feat)

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
didn’t he just do the mech design for E7?

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Gripweed posted:

havent watched it myself since i live in the middle of nowhere and lol at it being aired anywhere near here, but i was spoiled on athrun defeating a mind reading shithead with the power of smut and that's top tier

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

War and Pieces posted:

this was basically mandatory in that era of anime

the good old days where everyone is sad in a hallway for six episodes to save budget

Zodar
May 21, 2007

for my money the best one of those (meta retellings of an existing series that assumes audience foreknowledge) is Adolescence of Utena, it's not just a very pretty alternate take on the show's story, it completes the show's parabolic arc... just this dream of transgression & victory & escape that only makes any narrative or emotional sense with a 39-episode TV show in the rearview. it's so good!!

Madoka Rebellion is also a pretty good one-of-those. i didn't like Madoka that much, and Rebellion feels like it's cribbing heavily from Adolescence, but i like it when stories do that and at least Rebellion tries to do something new with it

e:

TenementFunster posted:

didn’t he just do the mech design for E7?

hah yeah, gently caress. for the last 15 years or so i thought E7 was a Kawamori joint, whoops

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

TenementFunster posted:

the first half was better than mid imo but yeah anything with a well done ending is so loving rare! adtrw went nuts over it back during the original run

Yeah I personally agree with you, but I’m just going off the opinions of other people I knew. Like a roommate of mine who couldn’t get into it at all but started watching along with me about halfway through and got hooked enough he went back to watch everything up to there once we finished the show

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

KirbyKhan posted:

Hello anime thread, I need a One Piece scholar to explain the character to me. I cannot get to chapter 616 in a reasonable time. All spoilers requested plz

https://twitter.com/TensaShinra/status/1786850660819849572?t=PoakCLPoeU-zx0g70PNQQQ&s=19

Aizen was the main bad guy in Bleach for like 400 chapters. So one of the big things in the show is Ichigo is like half Hollow (the bad guys) and half Shinigami (the good guys) and it turns out Aizen set this all up years before by turning his mom in to a Hollow and sending another character to give Ichigo Shinigami powers because this would make Ichigo a powerful hybrid and he wanted to absorb his power by eating his soul or something. I am guessing their comparison is that Kendrick brought up the pedo thing to get Drake to tell on himself or maybe just that Kendrick is a genius or something. Also Kendrick's first Drake diss track was called "6:16 in LA" and Aizen returned to the manga in chapter 616 no longer as the main antagonist.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

Aizen also notably had a very large couch and I would not be surprised if Kendrick also has a very large couch

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Aizen’s entire deal was being an indestructible chess-master always thinking 300 moves ahead and every time it looked like he was cornered he revealed that, actually, everything’s going just as he planned, and by attacking him you sealed your own fate

On a side note, he should’ve kept the sweet shoujo boyfriend look from the beginning of the series instead of slicking his hair back imo.

Augus has issued a correction as of 10:48 on May 9, 2024

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

mars express is my new favorite anime

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Thank

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I'm sad I missed out on Mars Express, the only theater it played in out here was a bit out of my way and my week was pretty busy. At least it sounds like it won't be terribly long until it gets a home release?

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
Is it any good?

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

very keen to watch it tonight

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

it's really good, it's exactly 90 minutes long and does absolutely zero handholding. the actual implications of the plot are only revealed through short aside comments and subtext which is really refreshing these days

also the fact it was made for only 10 million is crazy

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

in the future robots will be horny. and trans

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

well i'm honorbound to watch it now

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Today is literally the last time I can see it but drat it looks so good I already have a ticket

If you're in Seattle I'll be the fat nerd

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 21 days!)

I really appreciate Studio Trigger adapting all the Senshi upskirts from the manga with their eye for fanservice.

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

I think its cool how english discussions of anime dubs are all "i will loving KILL the voice actors, they are terrible and defiling this beautiful work of art from Nippon" and whenever you look at japanese people discussing them, its usually very polite even if their opinion is negative in regards to the english VAs.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Finished Mars Express, it was loving amazing and everyone everywhere should watch it immediately. It's time for a new avatar.

However I'm not sure how the robot was trans so I do consider that to be false advertising

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

tokin opposition posted:

Finished Mars Express, it was loving amazing and everyone everywhere should watch it immediately. It's time for a new avatar.

However I'm not sure how the robot was trans so I do consider that to be false advertising

he has a sexual awakening with a genderfluid robot then the next scene is presenting as a woman. also the ending is learning to embrace his robotness to join the exiles in their luxury space communism. idk carlos seemed very much a trans metaphor to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

There's no showing near me