Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: really queer Christmas)

TheLemonOfIchabod
Aug 26, 2008
Livefeed on what’s happening at UCSD. Looks like the UC grad student union is voting to strike next week.

https://ucsdguardian.org/2024/05/06/daily-updates-ucsd-solidarity-for-gaza-encampment/#photo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

das hipster
Mar 7, 2005

StashAugustine posted:

Also like of course the White House is going to smear them and cops are going to beat them, that's what they're there for. Doesn't mean they can't still win public sympathy, keeping the protests going and explanding; not to mention that we might not really want an escalation in revolutionary adventurism

No, that makes sense, and agree fully with that. Like I said, I'm here to learn, and I got justifiably told off.

das hipster has issued a correction as of 20:03 on May 6, 2024

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

AnEdgelord posted:

agent provocateurs

Just an anecdote: There's this psycho kid in Toronto who used to show up at Palestine protests all the time. His name is Jordan Justein. At one of the rallies near the Israeli Consulate after Shireen Abu-Akleh was murdered, I watched him get led around by cops, and protest marshals, wearing a batting helmet and a biker vest with JDL patches on it and screaming stuff like 'Muhammad was a pedophile'.

At another protest down at City Hall (that I missed), there's footage of him, masked up and wearing an Antifa sweater, running through the crowd yelling inciting anti-semitic stuff. It's pretty hilarious that literally everyone ignored him or pointed out that he was a plant. It's just so pathetic.

Barrel Cactaur
Oct 6, 2021

Al! posted:

events like this culminating in the industry awarding itself prizes and mewling how important it is without acknowledging who has been doing the important work and who theyve been getting killed by ftw. the western press is rotten to the core yet they think themselves so valuable to democracy lol

They claimed the pretentious title of the fourth estate, they desperately want prestige and privilege separate from the proles. In effect they became the second estates replacement, at least in part, a governor of truth outside the formal structure of the state, but deeply entwined with it and dependent on its power, just as the state is dependent on it to shape opinions.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Some conservative federal judges say they will no longer hire clerks from Colombia University or Law School because the school refused to stop anti-Semitic protests on campus

https://twitter.com/RameshPonnuru/status/1787536579013009809?t=ue9X0ixtA32-LHcR6IpyTQ&s=19

I assume this is from an alternate reality, because the whole framing makes no sense.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

lmao, the NYT won int'l again, for their coverage of "hamas' lethal attack" & other war-related FUD.

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

Nocturtle posted:

The protest/encampment at NYU was cleared out last Friday and nothing on the same large scale has replaced it since then. The very heavy police presence in the area was likely part of the explanation. I'm sure there have been smaller scale protests though.

However it's the end of semester and leases are up for a lot of students, and it's not like you can just find an affordable apt easily in NYC, on short notice. A lot of students might just have to leave town for the summer or become de-facto homeless.

maybe they could set up a big area where newly homeless students could live, in tents or other shelters - oh I know! It could even be on campus for greater convenience and access to school amenities. They could all camp together and keep each other safe. Gotta be a name for it

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

tristeham posted:

i call em poolitzers

Thank you, Mr. Pitbull

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005
thinking about how the cops arrested the houseless people who left Refaat Al-Areer Memorial Library when they were told they could and had to (with the encouragement and blessing of protestors), then took the guy who tried to do a Charlottesville 2 to the hospital on a mental health hold and didn't release his name

(at least the charges were dropped the next day, and people looted the guy's car so his name is known)

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Al! posted:

theyd have to shut down all their academic programs designed to funnel people into boeing

honestly at this point having your engineers go into boeing just makes you look incompetent. Your engineers made these planes? Gonna go to another Uni for students, thanks

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Willa Rogers posted:

lmao, the NYT won int'l again, for their coverage of "hamas' lethal attack" & other war-related FUD.

lol

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Willa Rogers posted:

the stories they kept having to modify, comment, and retract? rofl

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/QudsNen/status/1787568700712784267?t=Q7JR1gZ59mUaNYYyh_b8wg&s=19

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

yeah if you live within 100 miles of an international border or coastline your rights can be infringed pretty much all the time by the BP

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

mutual aid at work 🏴

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Remember when doing this under Trump was an affront to democracy

majour333
Mar 2, 2005

Mouthfart.
Fun Shoe

bedpan posted:

yeah if you live within 100 miles of an international border or coastline your rights can be infringed pretty much all the time by the BP

Or within 100 miles of an international airport!

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Willa Rogers posted:

lol any mention of the hundred journalists israel has murdered?

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

My few run ins with border patrol is they just without any lead up will just ask “ARE YOU A US CITIZEN?” The fact that multiple agents have done it I figured if you answer in anyway other then a affirmative they get RS to detail your rear end

It’s such a stupid question tho.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

KomradeX posted:

Remember when doing this under Trump was an affront to democracy

:laffo: I can’t wait until the fall when all the lib lanyard types who have been screaming all the students are anti-Semitic monsters for protesting start scratching their heads in panic and going “Why are students not breaking for Joe Biden? Are they Nazis who love Trump?! What an incomprehensible mystery!”

Atrocious Joe posted:

Some conservative federal judges say they will no longer hire clerks from Colombia University or Law School because the school refused to stop anti-Semitic protests on campus

https://twitter.com/RameshPonnuru/status/1787536579013009809?t=ue9X0ixtA32-LHcR6IpyTQ&s=19

I assume this is from an alternate reality, because the whole framing makes no sense.

This is like that guy who runs a podcast with almost no audience announcing he won’t hire anyone from Columbia. On no. Please. Don’t.

gaelach
Dec 5, 2023
https://twitter.com/soundmigration/status/1787557653440262389
surprised to see trinity pull back so quickly on this after their stunt with the student union

Programmer Humor
Nov 27, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

spacemang_spliff posted:

sort of

https://x.com/silvermanjacob/status/1787565854646796588?s=61&t=yd5Kee20bxCjpv8EUchd1Q

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.
poolicker prize

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014

congrats tom friedman on another pulitzer

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Atrocious Joe posted:

all those Columbia grads clamoring to work for kasmaryk in rural Texas lmao

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

lets not forget israel also killed their families, sometimes first often times theyd wait for them to get home

none of this has been reported by the pulitzer prize winning new york times

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

spacemang_spliff posted:

They don't have space to mention every Hamas member killed, spiff

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Al! posted:

lets not forget israel also killed their families, sometimes first often times theyd wait for them to get home

the NYT is obviously corrupt, and now it's obvious the pulitzers are corrupt too

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Who could be scared of a Jeffrey?
the kids at the columbia student radio station did better journalism work than everyone thats going to be showing up to the pulitzers

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

spacemang_spliff posted:

only as part of a throwaway line about "journalists in danger." They did not mention the nos. of journos murdered by israel.

that they picked the nyt for I/P reporting kinda sets the tone for most of their other journo award recipients, who were good reporters doing good reporting but mainly on issues important to good liberals.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Pullitzers always have bad rewards, but this might be the most transparently craven choice at the worst possible time.

On the same day as an invasion,
At a time when opinion on Israel is rapidly souring,
At a school currently embroiled in mass protests,
In a hall next to the one that just had police crack down on anti-Genocide protestors,
For a paper that manufactured consent for the war,
That same paper struggling with a row over an article so thoroughly debunked that 2/3rds of its writers no longer work at the NYT,
For the most lightweight, mildly critical articles.

The only way it could burn more credibility would be if they gave it to Screams Without Words, and they literally couldn't do that because the NYT didn't submit it.

RoboBoogie
Sep 18, 2008

Al! posted:

oh yes. the forty beheaded babies New York Times.

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

the pulitzers are basically sycophant awards a dying medium trying to hang on to relevance

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

i am fascinated by photojournalism so i like those categories but i think every other pulitzer is for babies and cowards

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/still_francesca/status/1787583491019813007?t=dQdiJ2Pdfjrdl_RAK2nObQ&s=19
https://twitter.com/still_francesca/status/1787590947255021928?t=sRlV-snE3_l0UgdzbGp-zg&s=19
https://twitter.com/DSAWorkingMass/status/1787602137226129722?t=wqdeM7sGQa8vmmAGapmlkw&s=19

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

https://x.com/probablyreadit/status/1787608198641234138

https://x.com/probablyreadit/status/1787602073497837926

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.

aoc will give a speech in support on her way in to the gala

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

time for the met gaza

Jizzny Princess
Aug 24, 2021

WHILE YOU WERE LEARNING TO SPELL YOUR NAME,
I WAS BEING TRAINED TO CONQUER GALAXIES
UwU
Macklemore just dropped a song called "Hind's Hall" on their instagram and it's amazing.
They plan to have all proceeds for the song to go to UNRWA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

im a ways north of the met rn and the cop cars are flying by me heading over there.