Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

mystes posted:

I would in fact expect an adult to make minimal efforts to protect the feelings of a child they don't know at least to the extent of saying "hey maybe they shouldn't be in the room for this"?

come on, how traumatic is it actually for a stranger they've never met to say "i don't know this kid, i'm not related to them, stop calling me about them"?

the fault lies on the office staff and the dipshit parent listing people as emergency contacts without their knowledge or consent. if this is such a sensitive topic then the office staff should have brought them to a closed room where the conversation could be had confidentially.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Cats in the cradle, etc., etc.

mystes
May 31, 2006

the holy poopacy posted:

I spent a ton of time helping 2 employees who hate each other … now they’re dating
The good old enemies to lovers trope

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Someone trying to paddle back to the boat they recently jumped off of.

My wife left me after she got in shape and now wants to get back together

quote:

I(32M) was married to my wife(33F) for 4 years and we had a great marriage so far. I was madly in love with my wife. She fell into depression mainly due to her job in 2022. I tried to support her in every way and suggested her going to gym or doing any kind of sports to destress. I had my own depression episode before we got married and what saved me was going to gym. She agreed to that and we started going there together. I could not go as frequent as in the past since my workload got heavier after my promotion. However, I tried my best to be there with her. She used to be a bit chubby(which I loved) and after seeing some changes with her body, she started to go there regularly. It also helped her with depression and she got better. I was really happy to see her get better and livelier. She looked more confident, got more aggressive in bed and so on.

However, after a while that confidence level started to affect our relationship for worse. She started going to the parties and going outside to a point she completely stopped doing her share in the house. That proceeded with me seeing her getting flirty with a guy at a meetup we went. I communicated my feelings to her and she dismissed these. After several of these, I had her sit down with me and told her that she is riding high on her newly found confidence and emotions right now. I clearly stated she should not make decisions or actions according to that confidence right now. I know it well. It was one of my worst traits. I used to be extremely emotionally driven in the past. I suggested we go to a marriage counselor and hell broke loose. She said vile things to me like how she realized she settled down with me after getting better and she could do much better than me. She said I am insecure and other things. This woman used to be sweetest person on the earth and I was shocked after hearing the things she said to me.

She filed for divorce the following month and I did not hear much from her other than some lawyer talks. Our court seeing is scheduled to be next month and my lawyer told me there is a high chance it'll be concluded then. There is not much to share. Similar income, only shared asset is our joint account, similar savings and no kids. House is my mom's so it's out of division.

I accepted my marriage is going to end like that. Last week she called crying and told me she regrets everything. She apologized over and over again but I felt disappointed. Not angry, not sad but just disappointed. She did not text me nor call me even once since the divorce started. I did not even know where she was since she just left the home. I told her there is no going back now. She has been messaging me non-stop. My family supports my decision and tell me I should not back down. My in-laws were shocked when they heard about the divorce. They are now telling me to rethink everything.

I will 99.9% not back down but as I said just looking for validation and maybe wanted to vent. Thank you for reading.
The buff gym dude she was panting for dumped her, LOL.

The only missing is the ex trying the "actually, this whole 'divorce' thing was a test" maneuver.

Also, OP, your in-laws have your ex's interests at heart and not yours. Ignore them.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

“I only settled for you, I can do so much better” feels like something you can’t really come back from, no matter how much you try

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012

Cacator posted:

Was the boy named Sue?

No, I think he was probably named Cat's Cradle.

Pantaloon Pontiff
Jun 25, 2023

FMguru posted:

I suggested we go to a marriage counselor and hell broke loose.

That's really my 'no going back' point in a story like that - if a partner is thinking about leaving or that they're settling on me or something like that, well people are allowed to have feelings, and one of the points of couples therapy is to handle feelings that may hurt to talk about. But if they completely reject the idea of going to a therapist, blow up with the emotions at me instead, and then separate and go NC, it's clear that there's nothing left to the relationship. It might be possible to make a new relationship (though I wouldn't really consider anything more than friendship or cooperative co-parenting), but the old relationship has clearly been demolished and the foundation burnt to the ground at that point.

The Maroon Hawk posted:

“I only settled for you, I can do so much better” feels like something you can’t really come back from, no matter how much you try

I think it depends on context - if it's something you bring up in therapy or couples therapy in the style of "I'm having these emotions, I need to work through them", then it's something that can be sorted through. Throwing it at someone while walking out the door is a definite "no going back" though. EDIT: Also in this case it's seems really likely that it wasn't "I sorted through these unfair feelings and now we can move forward" but "I chased super-buff guy and it didn't go well, you're my backup plan".

Pantaloon Pontiff fucked around with this message at 20:57 on May 6, 2024

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 21 days!

FMguru posted:

She said vile things to me like how she realized she settled down with me after getting better and she could do much better than me. She said I am insecure and other things.

"I settled for you and can do better. Also why are you so insecure?"

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
If someone tells you the relationship is over it's over. The Fakeup is abusive poo poo. I don't want or need to break up over and over. I'm just not gonna take you back after you do it. Play stupid games, give me the prize of no longer having to deal with your BS.

Troublemaker
Mar 12, 2007

limp_cheese posted:

Has anyone told OP it's hosed up she referred to her friends in the story not with names, but as "The Twink" and "The Daddy"?

I'm also assuming neither of them are gay.

Yeah, this was posted in a previous thread and I believe there was follow-up from one of the guys who found the post and was adamant that they were in no way gay or bisexual and that the OOP had written some really graphic poo poo about them. Both guys dumped her as a friend.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

FMguru posted:

Upon rereading, the thing that jumped out at me was the way OP kept going on about how "his generation" didn't know any other way to raise a kid, like he had just gotten back from WWII and Ozzie and Harriet were on TV. Except, if his kid is starting his post-college life right now, he was probably born after 2000, which makes dad a millennial (or, at the very latest, a genexer) and, uh, no those generations were not mainly raised by hard-rear end drill sergeants yelling "the more you cry, the less I care!" and "keep that up and I'll give you something to really cry about".

"It was the 2010s! That's just how we raised kids back then!" - uh, no.

Also, saying his son "despises" him doesn't seem right - to despise someone is to hate them with a particular intensity, and the son seems largely indifferent to his dad (the son seems to have made his peace with his dad's parenting technique and is moving on with his life).

op could have had his kid in his 30's, so he'd have been born anywhere from late 60's to 70's and lol if you're under the impression that men raised from like 1965 through 1990 weren't fully bashed with the toxic masculinity bat as children

edit: not to excuse the terrible father as being a giant dumbass and an rear end in a top hat

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook

FMguru posted:

Upon rereading, the thing that jumped out at me was the way OP kept going on about how "his generation" didn't know any other way to raise a kid, like he had just gotten back from WWII and Ozzie and Harriet were on TV. Except, if his kid is starting his post-college life right now, he was probably born after 2000, which makes dad a millennial (or, at the very latest, a genexer) and, uh, no those generations were not mainly raised by hard-rear end drill sergeants yelling "the more you cry, the less I care!" and "keep that up and I'll give you something to really cry about".

"It was the 2010s! That's just how we raised kids back then!" - uh, no.

Also, saying his son "despises" him doesn't seem right - to despise someone is to hate them with a particular intensity, and the son seems largely indifferent to his dad (the son seems to have made his peace with his dad's parenting technique and is moving on with his life).

The dad was raised by Boomers. They were too busy having fun and making money to raise their kid.

"Parents were both busy or working that they didn't have time to spend all their time with their kids or be heavily involved."

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Someone in the comments posted the question "If your son succeeded because you raised him without comfort or warmth then what excuse do you have for not being a success?"

Pantaloon Pontiff
Jun 25, 2023

I missed "My son hates me" dad earlier, his upbringing sounds familiar to me as a Gen-Xer. My parents weren't too 'busy or working' (they both worked but made plenty of time for us), but I had friends who were, and stories about the phenomenon of 'latchkey kids' were common when I was growing up. No excuse for not letting his kid be a kid or bonding with him though. You don't need 'all the money in the world' to go somewhere with kids, things like camping and visiting parks and beaches is a lot of fun for kids and don't have to cost an arm and a leg, and it's pretty clear that he didn't give the kid a chance for entertainment or try to bond with his kid.

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Would be funny/sad if it turns out he could have helped his son through college financially, but just didn't. Especially if he has money inherited from his terrible boomer parents.

Kinda interesting that the son is still close to the mother, but I guess she seemed like an amazing parent compared to the dad.

Red Rox fucked around with this message at 23:15 on May 6, 2024

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

mystes posted:

Even though OP is saying that the kid is a complete stranger, I also have to wonder, would OP have felt OK with "going off" about the situation in front of a kid who was actually a total stranger rather than a half sibling they had never met?

Yes? Why not? What the gently caress are you talking about?

There isn't even any indication in the story that the kid was actually traumatized in any way, Mom 5 just said they were afterwards in a phone call as part of an attempt to force her big happy dream delusion family together. What is this, the fourth time this week you've dug your heels into the dumbest possible position and insisted on a drawn-out argument with the rest of the thread?

AITA for telling my stepdad feeding his kids is not my problem and so what when he tried to say they would go hungry?

quote:

My mom had a major surgery two weeks ago. She's still in the hospital and won't be home for another few weeks yet. I (16m) am home with my stepdad and my half brother and sister since my dad isn't in the picture. But my half siblings go to our grandparents during the day and my stepdad picks them up after work. Sometimes he will keep them with our grandparents for a few extra hours if he's visiting mom and stuff.

My stepdad also has two kids from his other marriage. His daughter is 11 and his son is 10.

My stepdad's kids treat my mom like poo poo. They're being trained to act like that by their mom and my stepdad and her have been in court so many times in the last 5 years. But nothing has changed with their behavior toward mom and him and his ex still fight often about it. His kids call my mom names, say she feeds them poo poo, tell her she's fat and ugly and they gag whenever they know she cooked for everyone. It's gross. They told my mom their mom was better than her in every way and she'll never be good. My stepdad punishes them and all that but it's crazy how hateful they are to mom. They're also really rude to mom's family. I don't really have any affection or patience for them so we don't interact. But mom gets it a lot. When my mom was brought to hospital they said good, we hope she dies. My stepdad looked incredibly pissed at them and I acknowledge he intervened immediately.

But all of this means I want nothing to do with them and I'm so glad when they're not at our house. I really dislike them.

My stepdad wants me to feed his kids anyway. He gets home late and he doesn't want to pay for them to stay with a sitter for an hour or two. He also doesn't want to send them to their mom, which I get. So he wants me to provide some food for them and I said no. He told me his kids need to eat and I said it's not my problem and he does not want me left in charge of his kids ever. He told me they'll go hungry without someone to prepare something and I said so what. He told me my attitude could use some work. He said he needs my help and he's sorry they said what they said but I need to understand their mom has poisoned them so much. He told me it won't be forever and I make myself food already so can't I make some extra.

AITA?

I wonder if this cruel heartless monster would so casually condemn stranger children to starve to death, or if he's just letting his anger at their father let him feel righteously justified.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
AITAH for treating MIL like she treats me?

quote:

I (F40s) have been married to my husband (M 40s) for over 20 years. We have 3 kids and a pretty good life. My MIL has always been kind but makes little passive aggressive and aggressive aggressive comments here and there. Someone always makes an excuse for her behaviours and there has never been any accountability. I am the one that tends to host events for the families, puts in the time and effort and is always there when needed. Recently during a visit my MIL asked my husband if he and the kids would like to go on a special FAMILY trip out of country and that his siblings would be going to and possibly their children. My husband says that we might be interested and a vacay for our family of 5 could be just what we needed after some recent stressful events. His mom then says “no, just OUR family” looks at me and says “the other in-laws aren’t joining”. Right away I was upset, I said that my family would not be going on a FAMILY vacation without me. Again she reiterates that it’s just for HER family. I started crying (I couldn’t help it). My husband changed the subject and I excused myself from the table. My husband is pretty passive but did bring it up to his mother a little while later telling her that what she said/did was very hurtful and rude. All she responded with was “well we don’t know if we are going anymore”. Fast forward a couple months and I come to find out that they and siblings are going on the trip but decided to not bring it up to us again. At this point I wouldn’t go if you paid me to but I’m still pissed off by the whole thing. Now the AITAH comes along… I have been keeping my distance and told my husband I want a break from them. That I don’t want them in my space and I’ve cancelled all family gatherings that are normally held at my home. We have two graduations coming up and I will not be inviting them. Mother’s Day is this week and I will not be acknowledging it towards her (her son can but I will not go out of my way). My husband thinks I should let it go because “that’s just the way she is” but I’m sick of it. That said, am I becoming the AH by cutting contact and putting my husband in the middle?

The audacity of the MIL is baffling. Seems like this lady has more than MIL problems. She has husband problems as well.

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!

Red Rox posted:

Kinda interesting that the son is still close to the mother, but I guess she seemed like an amazing parent compared to the dad.

I had this vibe going with my parents for a while--cool with Mom, loathed Dad for how he behaved during my childhood/teen years. It kinda felt like it was us (kids and Mom) against him for a long time.

A few years back some stuff happened and it dawned on me that, for all her good traits, she 100% allowed him to be a dick to us kids. Even though she was the organized one, the one who raised the kids and ran the household and did all the menial labor AND kept a steady job (Dad flitted from one poorly-thought-out venture to another, and always had Mom doing the bookkeeping and other boring parts of his terrible business ideas) she still treated him as the boss, the final decision maker. She was educated and employed, not trapped in the marriage--it's like he was her third, helpless child that had to be coddled and taken care of, but also The Man in the marriage, so of course we all need to be the bigger person and just take what he dished out.

She did seem like an amazing parent, compared to Dad. I wonder if that's what's happening here with the OP or if I'm just trying to see something familiar.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Lottery of Babylon posted:

AITA for telling my stepdad feeding his kids is not my problem and so what when he tried to say they would go hungry?

I wonder if this cruel heartless monster would so casually condemn stranger children to starve to death, or if he's just letting his anger at their father let him feel righteously justified.

I don't think kids starve to death by having a late dinner.

How are 10 and 11 year olds incapable of putting a TV dinner in the microwave, or making a cheese sandwich, or whatever.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
AITA for fighting with my wife about the lights in our house?

quote:

My wife and I are 23, and we’ve been together for 6 years. We moved in together about 4 years ago and never really had overhead lighting in our apartments. I knew she hated lamps for some reason, so we never really had our lamps on either. We moved into our house together 2 years ago and installed overhead recessed lights about 6 months ago. They’re great! They really bring life into the house. That being said… I often walk into our living room and see her hanging out in there after work or on the weekends with no lights on at all. It looks very dreary! Try this yourself to see where I’m coming from. Try to hang out in your living room after work around 5pm with no lights on in the house, or any time throughout the day on a weekend. We have a pretty open floor plan so she doesn’t like any lights on in any room basically. We have “fought” about this many times since we installed the recessed lights. It gets under my skin that the house looks so dreary, and it gets under her skin that I want the lights on so bad when she doesn’t. It was actually a blessing in disguise because through talking about it, we realized that she has photophobia and dry eye, which cause high sensitivity to light. For her whole life she thought this was just normal. We are treating it now and her quality of life has changed a lot for the better! That being said, she still likes the lights off... Something else to mention is that these are LED lights, which don’t use much electricity at all, so it’s not a money thing. She just prefers the lights off. She mentioned that it might be her brain being trained to hate the lights on her whole life because it always hurt. I keep instigating fights about this, but she makes me out to be the rear end in a top hat. What is the answer here… lights on, or lights off? Again… try it yourself!… Veryyyy dreary.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Hellblazer187 posted:

I don't think kids starve to death by having a late dinner.

How are 10 and 11 year olds incapable of putting a TV dinner in the microwave, or making a cheese sandwich, or whatever.

The 10 and 11 year olds are likely raised by a guy who is also incapable of putting a TV dinner in the microwave or making a cheese sandwich or whatever

It is always surprising how willfully useless men have made themselves within their homes and it is always worse than you could imagine.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

WHO THE gently caress SAYS DREARY MORE THAN ONCE A WEEK OR SO?!?

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Mordiceius posted:

AITA for fighting with my wife about the lights in our house?

Try this yourself to see where I’m coming from. Try to hang out in your living room after work around 5pm with no lights on in the house, or any time throughout the day on a weekend.

YTA. Yeah buddy, no one reading this has ever sat in the dark before.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

So anyway I keep instigating fights because fights aren't dreary.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

jokes posted:

The 10 and 11 year olds are likely raised by a guy who is also incapable of putting a TV dinner in the microwave or making a cheese sandwich or whatever

It is always surprising how willfully useless men have made themselves within their homes and it is always worse than you could imagine.

I guess but that seems insane and impossible. Like I can kinda understand not wanting a 10 year old to use a stove unsupervised but c'mon. Get the kids some hot pockets they'll be fine. Or like, uncrustables. Or protein bars. Or all of those and they have a choice. If you're ambulatory you can feed yourself something simple it's not that hard.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Just keep turning the lights on until she gets used to it, done

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Depends on how weak and weary they are, I suppose. And if they're up at midnight to take notice of it.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I generally say it once upon a midnight

e: gently caress, that tab was open for a bit

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Also what is "hanging out in the living room"? If the TV is on then the lights are off, goes without saying.

Gwely Mernans
Jun 30, 2017
I like to think the light guy is one of those insane people I see who use fluorescent or white LEDs in their living room

I personally can't stand any overhead lights on in my house unless I'm having company over. Softly lit lamps 4ever

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Gwely Mernans posted:

I like to think the light guy is one of those insane people I see who use fluorescent or white LEDs in their living room

So... red or green, then?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Gwely Mernans posted:

I personally can't stand any overhead lights on in my house unless I'm having company over. Softly lit lamps 4ever

The odd thing is - he mentions "I knew she hated lamps for some reason" and I'm wondering if he means ones that are bright as gently caress or more subtle moody lamps or all of the above?

My wife and I loving hate overhead lights (they're homophobic) and have ample lamps that give off soft amber glows. Makes everything just pleasant. Not dreary at all!

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Look, I have Seasonal Affect Disorder, so I totally and 1000% get "Every light must be on our else oh god please make it stop." so I have no problem with him whatsoever.

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

My apartment has a drop ceiling and harsh retail-style panel lighting (and every single bulb is a different temperature, somehow) and I pretend it doesn't exist, I have lamps for days. It's way more pleasant and also de-emphasizes the terrible concrete floor that looks like it came out of somebody's lovely old garage.

Sometimes someone will come over and turn on the overhead lighting in the bathroom and I am filled with RAGE, but just try explaining to someone why they shouldn't be using your lights, it can't be done

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Install a dimmer and find a happy medium, OP

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Have lights on or not, as long as you can see what you are doing I guess. I prefer some lighting in the evening or in dark rooms. I hate watching TV in the dark unless I'm going to bed.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

artsy fartsy posted:

My apartment has a drop ceiling and harsh retail-style panel lighting (and every single bulb is a different temperature, somehow) and I pretend it doesn't exist, I have lamps for days. It's way more pleasant and also de-emphasizes the terrible concrete floor that looks like it came out of somebody's lovely old garage.

…John Fetterman?

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

The Maroon Hawk posted:

…John Fetterman?

I googled that name but it didn't help

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

artsy fartsy posted:

I had this vibe going with my parents for a while--cool with Mom, loathed Dad for how he behaved during my childhood/teen years. It kinda felt like it was us (kids and Mom) against him for a long time.

A few years back some stuff happened and it dawned on me that, for all her good traits, she 100% allowed him to be a dick to us kids. Even though she was the organized one, the one who raised the kids and ran the household and did all the menial labor AND kept a steady job (Dad flitted from one poorly-thought-out venture to another, and always had Mom doing the bookkeeping and other boring parts of his terrible business ideas) she still treated him as the boss, the final decision maker. She was educated and employed, not trapped in the marriage--it's like he was her third, helpless child that had to be coddled and taken care of, but also The Man in the marriage, so of course we all need to be the bigger person and just take what he dished out.

She did seem like an amazing parent, compared to Dad. I wonder if that's what's happening here with the OP or if I'm just trying to see something familiar.

I think you're right - she shares some responsibility here but probably just looks ok in comparison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

artsy fartsy posted:

Sometimes someone will come over and turn on the overhead lighting in the bathroom and I am filled with RAGE, but just try explaining to someone why they shouldn't be using your lights, it can't be done
I'm not sure why you're in the bathroom with them but if it bothers you that much maybe you should just cover up that light switch with something?