Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

drat, hard to believe I'm the only one watching Episode 1 at noon on a Monday

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Enjoy how lovely Jar Jar is when you can’t look away

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Okay but the podrace is about to start which is half of why I'm here

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Reminder, Mobile Suit Gundam Seed Freedom is in theaters in America this week only. Tuesday subbed, Wednesday dubbed. You will never get another chance!

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

seed freedom, hehe

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

Jimbot posted:

I was always partial to this scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0Mtlklmna0

Fantastic.

Yeah good one also. Can feel the grief.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Man I should reinstall Episode 1 Racer...

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Data Graham posted:

(I think my favorite stunt multiball pastiche was "Professor Hawk" in Dexter's Lab who was a mashup of Jobs, Gates, Stephen Hawking, and Willy Wonka)

Also Waldo, from Heinlein's short story, who decides to give up being an inventor (and being disabled...) to instead take up dancing.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I’ve been asked to do some consulting on the financing structure for the next Ruben Ostlund film. Which is pretty cool. His producer and the woman who puts the co-production structure in place are both great so I am looking forward to it.

:smug:

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

CelticPredator posted:

Enjoy how lovely Jar Jar is when you can’t look away

Daffy Duck, in my space wizard movie????

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Data Graham posted:

It seems like it's always a better idea to do a pastiche of two or more figures with your parody characters because a) you get to make fun of a concept rather than a specific person, and b) you have plausible deniability in case they get mad.

In the case of the Bautista guy you can always say "Nonono, it wasn't Tate, it was more Joe Rogan!" etc

(I think my favorite stunt multiball pastiche was "Professor Hawk" in Dexter's Lab who was a mashup of Jobs, Gates, Stephen Hawking, and Willy Wonka)

Reminded of Mark Beaks in the DuckTales reboot, who started as a Zuckerberg riff but ends up a mix of a lot of tech bro traits treated with entirely appropriate contempt. Also he was a magical girl that one time for some reason.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play

Waffleman_ posted:

drat, hard to believe I'm the only one watching Episode 1 at noon on a Monday

It's a podcast, you listen to it?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Blood Boils posted:

Daffy Duck, in my space wizard movie????

He’s not Daffy Duck.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Also how is that a gotcha? When did space wizard movie become synonymous with looby toons

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Meaty Ore posted:

Hell, one of the main villains is named after Pauline Kael.

The bad guy in Galaxy Quest is named after Andrew Sarris.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
First twitter reactions dropping for Furiosa

https://twitter.com/davidehrlich/status/1787656184490541561

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

CelticPredator posted:

He’s not Daffy Duck.

True, they spell and pronounce their names differently. But there's enough similarities to suggest they are blood relatives. Distant cousins perhaps?

And I apologize but I didn't intend that to be a gotcha, nor do I think slapstick cartoons are synonymous with live action Fantasy. I'm only pointing out that there is a shared sense of humour, in spite of nerds tendency to take it deeply serious. The star wars I've rewatched most recently is Empire, the quote - unquote Best One, and it's frequently deliberately goofy AF. And not just like Han & Leia's romance, there's so much burping & spitting up!

Edit: on 2nd thought, Disney's Goofy is a better comparison for Jarjar than Daffy, at least in terms of their personalities and how they relate to the other characters. Pretend I said that instead!

Blood Boils fucked around with this message at 03:27 on May 7, 2024

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Goofy is a klutz but he’s a sweet guy. Jar Jar is shifty and knows what he’s doing is bad but does it anyway

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Jar Jar obviously an analog for German politician Franz Von Papen who was instrumental in bringing the NSDAP to power when he tried to use them as pawns to further his own ambitions and also one time he got his tongue caught in the spokes of a horse drawn carriage and it made it numb which made him look quite silly.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I think this was the first time in like 15 years I've seen Phantom Menace and the first time I like actually paid attention to the plot and God what a weird movie. Plot was kinda aimless while it set things about the new era up and drifted from admittedly cool setpiece to admittedly cool setpiece. Can't bring myself to hate it though.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
The prequels are weird because they do have a near self-contained story but if they came out without the original Star Wars as a cultural cornerstone then they would absolutely be glossed over and people would wonder why they made a trilogy in the first place.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Well, they probably wouldn't be made without the OT as the counterpoint, dripping with dramatic irony is their whole deal.

CelticPredator posted:

Goofy is a klutz but he’s a sweet guy. Jar Jar is shifty and knows what he’s doing is bad but does it anyway

Yeah, the problem with Jar Jar is that ultimately he doesn't manage the right balance even as a cartoon character. Woody Woodpecker problem, probably. Too annoying and obnoxious in-universe and out without getting a satisfying comeuppance, even in a petty fashion.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

I like the original films well enough but I really should like all the films and shows because low magic is my cinema fetish. Pulling things towards or pushing them away from you? Enhancing your reflexes? Having powerful persuasion? Communicating telepathically? My jam.

My favourite wizard duel is Gabdalf versus Saruman and they're basically flinging each other around like ragdolls in a wind tunnel. There's even an Internal logic to it in that the force channeled by two wizard staves gets amplied like some sort of Ghostbusters equipment.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Just had an hour long dream where I was getting increasingly frustrated that I couldn't remember the name of Jack Nicholson's skiing-based neo-noir follow-up to Chinatown.

There really aren't as many movies with a skiing setting as their could and arguably should be.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

There's at least one James Bond movie that comes to mind.

I had the same thing waking up fervently believing in a piece of forgotten media that on regaining clarity is absurd to imagine exists, though it's especially weird that I think I've dreamed about exactly the same thing before. Maybe it's one of those hints of media from the wrong dimension that 1900HOTDOG keeps writing about. And let's face it, it's hard to believe anything couldn't have gotten made in the 90s.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

Thinking about it more, I wonder if dream-brain would have been satisfied if I'd come up with a movie set in Vail called Chinabowltown.

E: The Two Snowflakes?

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

I tried to Google this and all I got was that "vail" is the act of lowering ones hat, taking it off, or holding it in your hands to show respect.

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 11:50 on May 7, 2024

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Jar Jar is a war hero

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

He blundered into incidental victory and then got kicked upstairs into politics where he still managed to gently caress everything up, the most realistic character arc in Star Wars.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

josh04 posted:

Jar Jar is a war hero

So your saying he's Erich Ludendorff rather than Franz Von Papen?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Bright Bart posted:

I tried to Google this and all I got was that "vail" is the act of lowering ones hat, taking it off, or holding it in your hands to show respect.

Vail is, along with Aspen, one of the two most major / significant US ski resorts*. On the backside of Vail mountain are what are called bowls, one of which is named China Bowl.

https://www.vail.com/blog/legendary-terrain-china-bowl.aspx

*opinions vary etc

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Bright Bart posted:

Searched to no a-vail.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Also listen

I'm not immune to propaganda

Darth Maul is cool as gently caress. Ray Park's physical acting is really fuckin good, especially when contrasted against Liam Neeson during the duel of the fates scene. When the laser walls go up and Qui-Gon just kneels down and meditates while Maul paces from side to side, staring him down like a mad dog behind a face, mwah

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

The reveal that his lightsaber has TWO blades... talk about a Stand Up And Cheer moment

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Jay Rust posted:

The reveal that his lightsaber has TWO blades... talk about a Stand Up And Cheer moment

Okay but it's perfectly timed to when the choir begins in the song and like yeah that's the coolest poo poo in the world when you're 9 lmao

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Honestly between podracing, that scene, and the rolling droids with shields there's a lot to be said for episode 1

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

It's a solid film with some odd choices and a so-so second act.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

George has always been good at setpieces, and Episode I has a few real good ones. And the script, while not good, is mostly just bland enough to not actively detract from that.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

There's a good case to be made, especially now, that Episode 1 isn't even in the bottom 5 Star Wars movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

A twelve-year-old girl fought in that raid. The Nabu forces were using child soldiers.

Don't give me that about her being the princess or queen or whatever. Plenty regents and generals have said 'no, sorry' to underage monarchs irl and that is what should have happened here.

Did she even hit anything during the fight?