Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Mordiceius posted:

It's going to suck if Wuk is exclusively a tank role and can't pull double duty in another role. Because I do all MSQ as tank so it'll mean I'll never see her in a dungeon.

I think as one of the primary characters in the expansion, they'll probably at least make her dual Tank/DPS just so you can guarantee her being around

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

So what's Erenville's dps class going to be? Think he'll pull twin blades out of his backpack?

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Erenville is exclusively a gatherer.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

FuturePastNow posted:

So what's Erenville's dps class going to be? Think he'll pull twin blades out of his backpack?

I genuinely don't think any of the Trusts are Erenville. There's never been anything to imply he's capable of combat. It could just be a character we haven't met yet.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
erenville will pull a krile in 8.0 and undergo an offscreen training arc before showing up as the new dps job

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Dungeon 3 seems cool

E: I guess actually probably Trial 1?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Erenville will be a beastmaster that's how he's able to get specimens back to the archive. Just herd em across the world.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Erenville is how they introduce botanist leveling up into reaper in story.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Blockhouse posted:

I'm mainly curious [spoiler]where Alphinaud is going for most of the expansion

He's on a ten level long date with a nice Turalian girl and the MSQ has a B plot where we occasionally repeat silly anime romance tropes like stalking Alphinaud to make sure he's okay.

Also, the one weird girl from Sharlayan who is 100% into Alisaie is there because she mistook Alphinaud for Alisaie so catastrophiclaly that she refuses to believe he's his twin sister and no one is sure if she's catastrophically doubling down or just so unable to tell that it actually borders on the farcical.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

NachtSieger posted:

He's on a ten level long date with a nice Turalian girl and the MSQ has a B plot where we occasionally repeat silly anime romance tropes like stalking Alphinaud to make sure he's okay.

Also, the one weird girl from Sharlayan who is 100% into Alisaie is there because she mistook Alphinaud for Alisaie so catastrophiclaly that she refuses to believe he's his twin sister and no one is sure if she's catastrophically doubling down or just so unable to tell that it actually borders on the farcical.

Answer it by having her become convinced a random namazu is Alphinaud.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I didn't go digging myself but I thought I'd mention it here for anytime interested - there's an extremely thorough data mining thread in The Balance's Dawntrail waiting room channel. Like, they've figured out the location and teleport cost of the Dawntrail aetherytes levels of thorough. The big stuff is still behind spoiler bars but it looks pretty intense so fair warning to tread carefully.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Where the gently caress are they getting this information

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

YggiDee posted:

At the data mine

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

YggiDee posted:

The Benchmark isn't just a pretty movie machine. It's basically FFXIV told to play a cutscene. It turns out they left a lot of game data behind when publishing the Benchmark.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

YggiDee posted:

My uncle who works at CBU3 told me it costs 4,000 gil to teleport to Solution 9.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Ojjeorago posted:

My uncle who works at CBU3 told me it costs 4,000 gil to teleport to Solution 9.

Well obviously, it has to be expensive if it's on another shard and also the city of gold.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

that's why I have aetheryte tickets

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Dr Pepper posted:

The Benchmark isn't just a pretty movie machine. It's basically FFXIV told to play a cutscene. It turns out they left a lot of game data behind when publishing the Benchmark.

This is a common thing, too.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
That is wild.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Countblanc posted:

I didn't go digging myself but I thought I'd mention it here for anytime interested - there's an extremely thorough data mining thread in The Balance's Dawntrail waiting room channel. Like, they've figured out the location and teleport cost of the Dawntrail aetherytes levels of thorough. The big stuff is still behind spoiler bars but it looks pretty intense so fair warning to tread carefully.
Scoped it out, the gist is that there's a table with coordinates for the world map that are used to calculate aetheryte costs. In a vacuum they're not anything but relative, but with the proper maps zoomed to the right scales, they're obviously meant to overlay. There's a bit of "cheating" so that Othard and Tural don't have even more inflated costs, but otherwise it works out.
Here's an example coordinate overlay using only zones up to Stormblood:

The dots are just the coordinate data for some of the teleportation centers. Not everything might map perfectly to the map features (note that Ishgard is well southwest of the city, for instance), but it's what is used to determine teleport prices between zones.

Anyway, there's a few oddities on the Tural map that might either point to incomplete/wip data or unexpectedly shared costs, but there's also some tidbits that are definitely plot spoilers.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Kheldarn posted:

This is a common thing, too.

Yeah and it's not like the devs aren't aware of data mining. They're good at making sure nothing really important is spoiled.

Which is why Wuk Lamat was nothing but a pair of legs for several months.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
This reminds me that YoshiP had talked in a stream about how they had a well-hidden clue to the direction of 7.0 in patch 6.4 that people hadn't really found yet. The Letter that Krile put off investigating until she finished her work had the Galuf Baldesion/Gulool Ja Ja connection on the front of the envelope and I don't believe we ever see that side on-camera even when Krile brings it up with Wuk Lamat in 6.55. So the only way to know about it is to datamine - and it was pretty late in the 6.4x patch cycle when that texture started gaining wide recognition, too. :tinfoil:

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
eh, there's some magic that's lost with such extreme data mining, like picking the benchmark apart to get actual models of new gear instead of point low res screenshots from the demo

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
i think its cool

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

that's why they keep the magic alive with paper printouts held up to the camera for the live letter for non-dataminers

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I mean sure but that 'magic' was always doomed to be lost pretty soon anyway. I can sympathize but it isn't any worse than expecting people to thottbot/wowhead quest locations and the like.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I'm so goddamned excited for Solution 9

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Macaluso posted:

I'm so goddamned excited for Solution 9

Solution 9 is unironically the coolest thing they've shown so far for Dawntrail. Wuk a close second.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
I wanna know who the woman in white is. Who is she. What is her deal

Although it's kind of funny looking back at other expansion posters and seeing that both Shadowbringers and Endwalker had anomalous women in white at the top as well.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

1stGear posted:

I wanna know who the woman in white is. Who is she. What is her deal

Although it's kind of funny looking back at other expansion posters and seeing that both Shadowbringers and Endwalker had anomalous women in white at the top as well.

FFXIV Is a JRPG at heart and Mysterious Woman With Plot Importance is a classic.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Failboattootoot posted:

Solution 9 is unironically the coolest thing they've shown so far for Dawntrail. Wuk a close second.

The fact that it's not the final zone is wild

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

It's the Radz-at-Han/Rhalger/Idyllshire equivalent, right?

I'm really curious to see how stuff develops. On one hand, I wasn't expecting zone 6 to be Amarot/Ultima Thule levels of surprise, but Solution Nine has me second guessing that.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

The final zone is Solution 9 (post-outbreak). End boss is Shodan.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

we've already been to pretty much every kind of earth environments, we've been to floating islands multiple times, we've been underwater multiple times, we've been to the moon, we've been to the figurative (literal?) edge of the universe. it's time to focus inward. zone 6: the hollow earth.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Valentin posted:

we've already been to pretty much every kind of earth environments, we've been to floating islands multiple times, we've been underwater multiple times, we've been to the moon, we've been to the figurative (literal?) edge of the universe. it's time to focus inward. zone 6: the hollow earth.

Godzilla collab

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

level 100 trial: The War Within

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
finally, the warcraft crossover. give dark knights a replica frostmourne.

jjac
Jun 12, 2007

What time is it?!

Zeruel posted:

finally, the warframe crossover. give alphinaud an amp.

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS

Zeruel posted:

finally, the warcraft crossover. give dark knights a replica frostmourne.
WoW crossover would be funny just for the “holy poo poo you guys are huge!” moment - sure, orcs and roes are about the same height but orcs are also about 7’ wide too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Need an entire inside-giant-monster zone. Dawntrail zone 6 will be the meat realm